PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Disscusion Thread

I know you are watching these Peace Cup matches...

Not sure what you think, but Porto seem like a team that is really searching for an offensive identity. No real leadership. I couldn't tell what their strategy was in ANY of these matches. IMO, Meireles needs to STEP-UP and make himself more of a presence on the field!! In some ways swimming in Lucho's wake has benefited him, but it's really time to step it up and take hold of this team.

I think there are A LOT of question marks with this team...

On anther note......I'm really glad to see the amount of talent that has joined Liga outside of Porto. Hopefully Sporting & Benfica can make a great showing this year (especially in Europe)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you ca

Otavio only deserves a +1 I think. Braga have been dropping like a stone recently which may (and probably should) affect their review.  Rahul's predictions for the big 3 are fair, so for the othe

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread It has been a great journey since 2011, great people and great fun! And well, This is my forum post number 1000! I could

I know you are watching these Peace Cup matches...

Not sure what you think' date=' but Porto seem like a team that is really searching for an offensive identity. No real leadership. I couldn't tell what their strategy was in ANY of these matches. IMO, Meireles needs to STEP-UP and make himself more of a presence on the field!! In some ways swimming in Lucho's wake has benefited him, but it's really time to step it up and take hold of this team.

I think there are A LOT of question marks with this team...

On anther note......I'm really glad to see the amount of talent that has joined Liga outside of Porto. Hopefully Sporting & Benfica can make a great showing this year (especially in Europe)[/quote']

You just hit the spot I was thinking of. Jesualdo keeps testing the 4-4-2 when it is obvious that Porto´s current players do not fit on such a tactic, with two forwards up front. Both Varela and Hulk are much better on the wings, and Farias is currently way off-form to pair with Falcao, who in turn doesn´t get the ball to his feet, which he needs to score goals.

Lucho was the real presence in the midfield and IMO he is the player who Porto most needed. About Meireles, I somewhat disagree. Let´s not forget that he has played all the games straight in the Peace Cup with only one day of interval (full with training though). It is normal that he lacks the strength to hold the midfield together. So Porto doesn´t need a big wake up call like your saying, this is just the first game we lose in the pre-season.

Yep, interesting to see the League this season. Guimaraes has also purchased very interesting players in Mendieta and Kamani Hill, so the fight for the 4th-6th places will be exciting with Nacional, Guimaraes, Braga and Maritimo.

Nice to see Sporting advance in CL Qualifiers over FC Twente. Hard fought 2nd leg' date=' with Rui Patricio (of all people) getting the last-minute-of-injury-time assist (off of a corner) to send Sporting to the next round on away goals.

Feel bad for McClaren. He's done great with Twente and his team outplayed Sporting for the entire match. Great saves by Rui Patricio are the only reasons this wasn't 3-0 Twente. That said, I really hope these Portuguese teams can go far in both the CL & Europa tournaments...off to a nice start...[/quote']

Yeah, it was good enough. Twente´s bad luck was Sporting´s bad luck in the first leg. That Mihaylov goalkeeper did as good as Rui Patricio out in the back. And these performances from Patricio come after I strictly say he is not a wonderkid. :confused:

Well, Portugal hasn´t performed very well so far in my opinion. Braga should have easily beaten Elfsborg, but instead they get a 1-2 loss that jeopardizes the European place of one of the teams that more points (in the ranking) brings after Porto. Sporting should have racked up more than just two points/draws against a theoretically inferior team, and Paços de Ferreira should have won in the first leg against Zimbru and the first leg against Bnei Yehuda. We are losing a lot of points where we shouldn´t. Paços and Braga will play both tomorrow, and I expect at least one of them to get thorough, and that is bad already. Nacional da Madeira will have to make up for it and get to the groups phase, while Benfica will need to reach at least the quarter-finals of Europa League. As for Sporting, Champions League groups phase is a must, and for Porto an eight-finals or a campaign as good as last year is enough. With this we should be able to overtake Romania, specially if Timisoara is knocked out by Shakthar. On the other hand Ukraine is also a country in front of us. There are a lot of doubts for Portugal´s ranking right now.

Derby' date=' I think your alittle to hard on Patricio. Hes good but his mistakes come from lack of experience. Give him time to mature.[/quote']

Probably, yeah, I acknowledged that above. I suppose he will be better in a couple of seasons. Still, it is foolish to judge him based solely on the Twente game.

Braga was down 2-0 before you could blink. Disappointing.

And Paços was knocked out as well. I guess Porto, Sporting, Benfica and Nacional will have to make up for it.

Well' date=' Portugal hasn´t performed very well so far in my opinion. Braga should have easily beaten Elfsborg, but instead they get a 1-2 loss that jeopardizes the European place of one of the teams that more points (in the ranking) brings after Porto. Sporting should have racked up more than just two points/draws against a theoretically inferior team, and Paços de Ferreira should have won in the first leg against Zimbru and the first leg against Bnei Yehuda. We are losing a lot of points where we shouldn´t. Paços and Braga will play both tomorrow, and I expect at least one of them to get thorough, and that is bad already. Nacional da Madeira will have to make up for it and get to the groups phase, while Benfica will need to reach at least the quarter-finals of Europa League. As for Sporting, Champions League groups phase is a must, and for Porto an eight-finals or a campaign as good as last year is enough. With this we should be able to overtake Romania, specially if Timisoara is knocked out by Shakthar. On the other hand Ukraine is also a country in front of us. There are a lot of doubts for Portugal´s ranking right now.[/quote']

I think that Benfica will make a good season in the European competitions, Jesus is doing a great work at benfica, but sporting will be a disgrace, Nacional: I dont think they will reach far but who knows :P Porto is the same since jesualdo came to the club, we have some new player with potential and other that now are better adapted to the club

I think that Benfica will make a good season in the European competitions' date=' Jesus is doing a great work at benfica, but sporting will be a disgrace, Nacional: I dont think they will reach far but who knows :P Porto is the same since jesualdo came to the club, we have some new player with potential and other that now are better adapted to the club[/quote']

Cheers, nice to see a fellow Portuguese here in the forum. A race near extinction here apparently :o

So, Porto just won the Portuguese Super Cup (2-0 against Paços de Ferreira), and so far all my predictions seem to match. Bruno Alves made an exhibition near perfection: imperial in defence and scored one of the goals from a free-kick. Like I said, he really deserves a 93. Farias is another case matching my prediction/analysis: came on as a sub and scored a goal. Varela seems set for the rise to 87. Otherwise, Hulk was very good, terrifying the opposition as usual, Alvaro Pereira is showing more confidence and performed well, he just need to improve his crossing, Fucile made a handful of very important clearances, including one that avoided a definite goal, but also made a lot of mistakes on short/long passes. He is recovering his form. The others performed up top their standard.

Fernando Alexandre - He played most of the match for Sporting Braga in Europe recently, do you think he will be a starter for Braga in the upcoming campaign? Or should I cash in on him? If not, what can be his predicted rating if he starts?

Thanks in advance.

Moraes CRISTIANO played also very well, he has a lot of talent, he should move to a bigger club like Braga and than to one of the big three, in Pacos it will be almost impossible to get a rise, he is already one of the 3 best rated players of Pacos de Ferreira. who knowns in the winter market, if benfica can get Cesar Peixoto for 450,000€ Cristiano should be much more cheaper:cool:

Fernando Alexandre - He played most of the match for Sporting Braga in Europe recently' date=' do you think he will be a starter for Braga in the upcoming campaign? Or should I cash in on him? If not, what can be his predicted rating if he starts?

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

I dont know the tactic Domingos will use but normaly Braga use a 4-3-3

.....................Eduardo

João Pereira...Rodriguez...Ney???...Evaldo

.......................Vandinho

......Posseebon........................César Peixoto

Alan..........................................Diogo Valente

........................Meyong

or

...........................Eduardo

J.Pereira,........ Moisés,........Rodriguez,........ Evaldo

..........................Madrid

........ Alan,...........................César Peixoto

........................Móssoro

Linz/Meyong, Yazalde

Cesar Peixoto signed today it Benfica, however they dont play in the same position If Domingos choose the 4-3-3 he probably will have some room on the first team and could get a +3 rise but its too soon to take conclusions;)

(I took the tactics from Braga's official forum, there are only guesses of the tactic Braga will use)

Fernando Alexandre - He played most of the match for Sporting Braga in Europe recently' date=' do you think he will be a starter for Braga in the upcoming campaign? Or should I cash in on him? If not, what can be his predicted rating if he starts?

Thanks in advance.[/quote']

It is too soon to say if he will be a starter, but I´d say he will. Domingos does´t trust Possebon yet to put him as a starter. So I guess he would rise +1 or +2. Either way I think it isn´t worth it to keep him after it.

Cheers.

It is too soon to say if he will be a starter' date=' but I´d say he will. Domingos does´t trust Possebon yet to put him as a starter. So I guess he would rise +1 or +2. Either way I think it isn´t worth it to keep him after it.

Cheers.[/quote']

A rise of ONLY 1/2? So little? Thanks for that info, im going to offload him now then.

Need to spread first though:(

A rise of ONLY 1/2? So little? Thanks for that info' date=' im going to offload him now then.

Need to spread first though:([/quote']

I would do the same in your position. Cash in. Braga has been knocked out of the Europa League already and as such he won´t rise more than that. Cheers mate.

This was mentioned 4 posts above yours. Domingos doesn't trust Possebon enough to start him yet so it's hard to tell.

Correct. However it doesn´t mean he may eventually become a starter. We have to wait.

Meanwhile I have an enourmous amount of news related to the Portuguese League, and little time to inform you because I´m still in vacations. The first fixture kicked off and I already began to have an idea for the starting XI of the various teams for the season. I can already tell there will be a lot of risers. Also some of my prospects have debuted, including Pimenta and Yartey whom I made scout reports of, as you may, or not, remember, and they will be added when I spare the time to send the tickets. The Portuguese ratings change are still months away so I hope to have everything sorted out in the main thread by then. I will update this thread as I progress.

Cheers!

hi mate great thread

just a quick question

i have miguel vitor the cb from benfica and wondered if i should sell him or maybe part exchange him for tottenhams bassong or keep him.

he got a plus 5 rating last year and just wondered what rating prediction would u give him?

thanks mate

Agreed! A little off topic from Rui but' date=' what do you think of Fabio Coentrao?[/quote']

Fabio Coentrao? He is assuming himself as a regular for Benfica, with great performances. Snatch him, he will rise should he stay this way.

hi mate great thread

just a quick question

i have miguel vitor the cb from benfica and wondered if i should sell him or maybe part exchange him for tottenhams bassong or keep him.

he got a plus 5 rating last year and just wondered what rating prediction would u give him?

thanks mate

P/E for Bassong? Well' date=' I do not know how well will Bassong perform in Tottenham, but I´ll tell you this: Miguel Vitor is a young great prospect, but is mountainously dropped out of Benfica´s starting XI. So if you have a long term team, stick with MV. If not, go for Bassong.

I have Rechel Sidnei will he rise or should i sell him now ?

Nope, he should see a small rise again, plus, he is very young.

Just a tip for everyone buy Joao Aurelio (21) - (76). Will be a regular for Nacional. Scored for Nacional in the first match against Benfica + Scored against Zenit in the Uefa cup where Nacional won 4-3

Indeed. I haven´t sticked with Nacional´s predictions yet, but I will do so soon and Joao Aurelio will be one of it´s risers.