PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Roberto' date=' David Luiz, Luisão, Coentrao, Maxi Pereira, Javi Garcia, Gaitan/New signing, Ramires (?)/New signing, Aimar, Saviola, Cardozo (?)/New signing

Ramires and Cardozo should leave the team. That's why I put the question mark on them. Gaitan should play as an LM, but media speculation seems to indicate that another LM/Winger will join Benfica.

The formation is a typical 4-4-2 diamond.

Some Benfica questions...

Guardado ? Is that a viable option for that club ?

Also, nice comments about Gaitan & Jara on the SMEL thread... :) What's the feedback so far in preseason?

I read somewhere that Gaitan looked pretty good so far, especially with that nifty move from the left towards the top of the box. Someone said he dribbled too much. Not sure what to make of that. Also read that Jara looked very active and very natural up front. But I'm not sure how accurate these accounts are...

Lastly, do you think Cardozo leaves ? What's type of move is he looking for anyway ?

Thx.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you ca

Otavio only deserves a +1 I think. Braga have been dropping like a stone recently which may (and probably should) affect their review.  Rahul's predictions for the big 3 are fair, so for the othe

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread It has been a great journey since 2011, great people and great fun! And well, This is my forum post number 1000! I could

get rid of prediger ' date=' costa , farias , renteria , leandro lima , stepanov , sapanunru (spelling) , guarin , miguel lopes , emidio rafael

keep some of the youth players if you like most of them probably loaned out and get a few rises again

KEEP MICAEL

Wrong. Don't give advice when you're not sure! Guarin is a good player, and has a chance to cement a reguler role in the first team. Best to ask DP though ;)

Porto bought João Moutinho, and in Portugal everybody talks that Meireles (perhaps Bruno Alves) should leave the team.

get rid of prediger , costa , farias , renteria , leandro lima , stepanov , sapunaru, mariano and perhaps Belluschi...

KEEP Rolando, Fucille, A Pereira, Nuno André Coelho, Cristiano Rodriguez, Hulk, Varela, Falcão, Ruben Micael, Fernando, Ukra, Castro, Sergio Oliveira, Diogo Viana

Porto starting XI for next season

Helton;

Fucille; Bruno Alves (if he leaves Sereno takes his place); Rolando; Alvaro Pereira;

Fernando; Ruben Micael; Moutinho;

Cristiano Rodriguez (during the season James Rodriguez or Varela could take His place); Hulk e Falcão

This is mainly directed at DP' date=' but if anyone else knows what they're talking about - feel free to give me advice. :)

So, I just picked up FC Porto in the new GC and I did not realise they had such a big squad, thus I will need to trim the younger and lower rated fringe players.

Now to my question [:P], which players would you label as 'must keeps' (not really talking about the big players, as it's obvious I should keep Merieles, Hulk, Falcao etc.) and which players are expandable?

Also, what do you see the Porto starting XI for next season being?

Thanks for your time. :)

Expendable: Bruno Moraes; Rui Pedro; Bruno Vale; Tengarrinha; Stepanov; Leandro Lima; Prediguer; Renteria; Tomas Costa; Farias; Mariano

Sell, provided you can get someone better for cover/first team: Guarin; Sapunaru; Kieszek; Belluschi

The starting XI depends on the tactic used. If the elected tactic is the 4-3-3 (very likey), a totally fit squad you mean a starting XI of:

GK: Helton

CB: Rolando and Sereno/Maicon

RB: Fucile

LB: Alvaro Pereira

DM: Fernando

CM: Ruben Micael and Moutinho

Wingers: Hulk and Varela/Rodriguez

CF: Falcao

Note that I am unsure who will pair Rolando in the defence. It is down to Maicon and Sereno since Bruno Alves is certain to leave Porto, as well as Raul Meireles. There should be a selection headache between our 4 wingers too (Hulk, Varela, Rodriguez and James).

get rid of prediger ' date=' costa , farias , renteria , leandro lima , stepanov , sapanunru (spelling) , guarin , miguel lopes , emidio rafael

keep some of the youth players if you like most of them probably loaned out and get a few rises again

KEEP MICAEL

Emidio Rafael? Why? He is surely in the Top 5 of the best LB in Portugal. He is a great cover for Alvaro, and he should rise decently.

Miguel Lopes? Why? I'm am 83% sure he will be the starting RB in Porto and in the Portuguese NT in a couple of years.

All the others are more or less obvious, except Guarin and Sapunaru. I like them.

Some Benfica questions...

Guardado ? Is that a viable option for that club ?

Also' date=' nice comments about Gaitan & Jara on the SMEL thread... :)[/b'] What's the feedback so far in preseason?

I read somewhere that Gaitan looked pretty good so far, especially with that nifty move from the left towards the top of the box. Someone said he dribbled too much. Not sure what to make of that. Also read that Jara looked very active and very natural up front. But I'm not sure how accurate these accounts are...

Lastly, do you think Cardozo leaves ? What's type of move is he looking for anyway ?

Thx.

Guardado? Hardly. Benfica do not have enough money. They have been totally backed by the banks in their recent pre-season spendings, and I don't think they would push it and splash more than half of their profit with Di Maria on Guardado. They're dumb, but not that dumb: they know their financial situation is critical, and a participation in the CL for one year is nothing more than a mere oxygen bottle, given the amount of their debt.

Not to mention that the Mexican would probably have wages even higher than Di Maria.

Jara seems like the perfect replacement for Saviola in the long term. I like the kid, he should do well this season.

I still have doubts over Gaitan though, I don't think he is worth what was paid for him, despite his potential... We'll see.

Jara has been impressing a lot more than Gaitan in the pre-season.

I don't think so. The truth is that nobody wants Cardozo. There is a simple reason for this: he contributes nothing for the team. That's right. He scored 30+ goals this season because he had an entire team working for him. Just watch his performances at the WC for Paraguay and you'll see what he does on the pitch when he doesn't have his striker partner and the entire midfield working on recovering the ball and serving him afterwards. He would be ruined in a league like EPL or La Liga because he doesn't run.

Wrong. Don't give advice when you're not sure! Guarin is a good player' date=' and has a chance to cement a reguler role in the first team. Best to ask DP though ;)[/quote']

He is a good player indeed, but he will have a hard time with Moutinho and Ruben Micael. One thing is certain: he has got what the other two combined can't even touch - strength, that is. He gives a totally new approach in our midfield. Not to mention his shooting power, which is frankly impressive.

Where are Meireles and Bruno Alves likely to go?

England - both of them. To one of the big four, obviously. Rumour has it that both are already locked in with Chelsea. They lost Ballack, Joe Cole, and are on the verge of selling Carvalho too. Bruno Alves and Raul Meireles would fit perfectly.

England - both of them. To one of the big four' date=' obviously. Rumour has it that both are already locked in with Chelsea. They lost Ballack, Joe Cole, and are on the verge of selling Carvalho too. Bruno Alves and Raul Meireles would fit perfectly.[/quote']

Well if they move to Chelsea then maybe Alves will get his 93 and Meireles will get his 92 that they have both deserved for months ;)

next year i believe porto will lose there big players e.g Fucile , Falcao and Alvaro .. ofcourse they have other big players but these players i think will go to a big club sometime next year

in all honesty i would swap clichy for fucile any day of the week lol :P fucile is class playing rb or lb but i think he's amazing left back

James Rodriguez's first goal @ Estádio do Dragão

Set-up by an aggressive lead pass by Falcao...

...And then what great speed' date=' save and touch by Hulk

[YOUTUBE'][/YOUTUBE]

Nope, the long pass was made by Belluschi. I know, I was there. Check the number on his jersey. It's the number 8. Falcao is the number 9.

Anyway, you'll see that all the play starts in James' feet. He dribbles through 2 opponents (not sure if you can see it in this clip), and gives the ball to Belluschi, before he eventually copes with Hulk's assist.

James Rodriguez's first goal @ Estádio do Dragão

Set-up by an aggressive lead pass by Falcao...

...And then what great speed' date=' save and touch by Hulk

[YOUTUBE'][/YOUTUBE]

Nope' date=' the long pass was made by Belluschi. I know, I was there. Check the number on his jersey. It's the number 8. Falcao is the number 9.

Anyway, you'll see that all the play starts in James' feet. He dribbles through 2 opponents (not sure if you can see it in this clip), and gives the ball to Belluschi, before he eventually copes with Hulk's assist.[/quote']

J. Rod FTW! The first of many, I'm sure. :)

next year i believe porto will lose there big players e.g Fucile ' date=' Falcao and Alvaro .. ofcourse they have other big players but these players i think will go to a big club sometime next year

in all honesty i would swap clichy for fucile any day of the week lol :P fucile is class playing rb or lb but i think he's amazing left back[/quote']

lol. you must really love Fucile.lol

Clichy is one of the best LB. Next to evra of course. He´s world class for sure. i would never make the trade.

Now you must have a look at Diogo Salomão. wonderkid

Clichy is one of the best LB. Next to evra of course. He´s world class for sure. i would never make the trade.

It's too premature for such labels on Salomão. There are a couple of wonderkids in football ATM. Salomão ain't one of them. He has potential, but it takes a big step to actually do anything with it. I give you one thing though: he is in the right club to give that step.

clichy isnt 1 of the best lb.. he got wrecked by some awfull players last season... my gran could have done better for us at LB.

I was there also and i dont have a clue why ppl keep calling him on the stadium and on the TV "RAMEZ RODRIGUEZ"... RAMES?! lol...

Because the Colombian name James is pronounced as "Rámez", and not as the English "James". Have you ever thought that maybe the world doesn't spin around you and maybe, just maybe, you are the one who is wrong instead of everybody else? ;)

Speaking of which...

DerbyP ~ Is James Rodriguez going by one name this year ? I was butchering the Portuguese language yesterday' date=' and I could be wrong but it seemed that all of the written reports were referring to him by simply one name (James),andnot by his complete name (James Rodriguez). Is that right ?[/quote']

Yes. Rodriguez is "reserved", so to speak, for Cristian. The Colombian Rodriguez will be just referred as James.

RE: Diogo Salomão

Last night I watched a replay of the Celtic X Sporting "friendly". I say "friendly" with quotes, because this was a physical match. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised to see this kid (who I hadn't heard of until you guys mentioned him on here yesterday) get a run in the 2nd half. He played the entire last 45'. Did pretty well... Wasn't the best on the pitch, but wasn't the worst either.

Some quick thoughts on him:

• The played him up front on the right ; I assume Sporting had 3 up front
  • He is small ; No way he's bigger than Liedson in height or weight
  • He is quick ; good acceleration with the ball @ his feet ; beat the LB to the goal line every time ; hit crosses when he got to the goal line ; the one time he tried to round the corner and make a break for goal he was physically out-positioned
  • He took all the right-side corners ; didn't make the most of the corners, but it was nice to see a big club like Sporting give a young guy that responsibility
  • Didn't defend all that much, in terms of pressuring the Celtic GK, CBs, LB or midfielders ; would have liked a young player like him to have shown more in this area ; but really not a big deal
  • His crosses weren't all that good ; like his corners they weren't struck with much conviction or threat
  • He has a real decent jump ; I'd be shocked if he was 5'8" (they have him listed @ 5'9"), and despite his height he seemed to be a threat in the air
  • Hit the bar with a header (originating from a right-side set piece) ; which Postiga then collected and tapped home for Sporting's goal

I hope Sporting give Salomão a run throughout the season. I remember last summer watching Aston Villa play in the preseason Peace Cup tournament in Spain. Villa have this young kid, Albrighton (winger), who really REALLY impressed. He was lights out good for the entire tournament. Then Martin O'Neill never played him during the season/cups/etc. :rolleyes: I hope that's not the case with Salomão.

Anyway, seems like an interesting player. Will keep an eye out for him. Thanks again for the heads-up on him.