PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Great European season for Portugal so far. We have won all games:

Marítimo 3 x 2 Sporting Fingal

Sporting Fingal 2 x 3 Marítimo

Sporting de Braga 3 x 0 Celtic

Nordsjælland 0 x 1 Sporting CP

Marítimo 8 x 2 Bangor City

Next up: The return legs for Braga, Maritimo and Sporting against Celtic (away), Bangor City (away) and Nordsjælland (home) respectively.

Miguel Veloso reached the end of the line for Sporting... He is moving to Genoa. Sporting receives 9 million Euros plus Zapater.

That news has been going on for ages. First he is ''officially'' a Genoa player, the next day Sporting and he says he isn't going nowhere. Not a good move by Veloso. I heard he didn't want to move to Genoa when Sporting and Genoa had reached an agreement, but now, waoow. He shouldn't have done this in my opinion. If you play in Genoa, you are a safe starter for perhaps a year, then after the season has ended, they buy like a new starting XI every time. Bad move by Veloso. Btw, it's kind of weird then that Paulo Sergio used him yesterday if he was going to be a Genoa player at anytime, beacuse what if Veloso would have been injured? The deal might have been stopped then. Anyway, Zapater is a good replacement, I'm sure you won't miss Veloso.

That news has been going on for ages. First he is ''officially'' a Genoa player' date=' the next day Sporting and he says he isn't going nowhere. Not a good move by Veloso. I heard he didn't want to move to Genoa when Sporting and Genoa had reached an agreement, but now, waoow. He shouldn't have done this in my opinion. If you play in Genoa, you are a safe starter for perhaps a year, then after the season has ended, they buy like a new starting XI every time. Bad move by Veloso. Btw, it's kind of weird then that Paulo Sergio used him yesterday if he was going to be a Genoa player at anytime, beacuse what if Veloso would have been injured? The deal might have been stopped then. Anyway, Zapater is a good replacement, I'm sure you won't miss Veloso.[/quote']

It seems Genoa has agreed to sell Veloso to Inter after his first season in Italy... That's the main reason why Veloso accepted the offer, because he said initially that he would trade Sporting for a big club only.

It seems Genoa has agreed to sell Veloso to Inter after his first season in Italy... That's the main reason why Veloso accepted the offer' date=' because he said initially that he would trade Sporting for a big club only.[/quote']

I heard that Inter had made that proposal yesterday, but I didn't believe in that rumor, beacuse it was the first time I've ever seen that kind of a deal, but oh well, congrats Inter. They are building a good team for the future, starting with Ranocchia and Veloso.

Interesting deal. I'm really impressed with some of the moves Genoa have made in the transfer market this summer. They could be a good bet for a top four finish this season, although it may be an ask to get so many new players to gel instantly.

For Sporting, I think it's actually a pretty good deal. Zapater is a more than able replacement and that's a nice wad of cash to go with him.

Interesting deal. I'm really impressed with some of the moves Genoa have made in the transfer market this summer. They could be a good bet for a top four finish this season' date=' although it may be an ask to get so many new players to gel instantly.

For Sporting, I think it's actually a pretty good deal. Zapater is a more than able replacement and that's a nice wad of cash to go with him.[/quote']

No way they are going top 4. I'm not even sure they'll make it top 8. They are always every summer trading out the whole starting XI and replace them with some new faces, and it always becomes an epic fail. Last season, Zapater was perhaps the biggest name Genoa signed, and this year, he is traded out for Veloso.

Interesting deal. I'm really impressed with some of the moves Genoa have made in the transfer market this summer. They could be a good bet for a top four finish this season' date=' although it may be an ask to get so many new players to gel instantly.

For Sporting, I think it's actually a pretty good deal. Zapater is a more than able replacement and that's a nice wad of cash to go with him.[/quote']

I think Zapater fits much more in what Paulo Sergio requires of a DM than Veloso. I mean Veloso has impressive technical skills, but I'd say he is close to zero when it comes to recover the ball's possession and destroying the opposition's attacking initiatives. Functions where Fernando and Javi Garcia excel, for example. Sporting already has a creative in Maniche, and I feel Zapater can offer much more to the team than Veloso.

No way they are going top 4. I'm not even sure they'll make it top 8. They are always every summer trading out the whole starting XI and replace them with some new faces' date=' and it always becomes an epic fail. Last season, Zapater was perhaps the biggest name Genoa signed, and this year, he is traded out for Veloso.[/quote']

I perhaps missed out a key word in that sentence:

"Genoa could be a good outside bet for a top four finish this season..."

I think Zapater fits much more in what Paulo Sergio requires of a DM than Veloso. I mean Veloso has impressive technical skills' date=' but I'd say he is close to zero when it comes to recover the ball's possession and destroying the opposition's attacking initiatives. Functions where Fernando and Javi Garcia excel, for example. Sporting already has a creative in Maniche, and I feel Zapater can offer much more to the team than Veloso.[/quote']

I agree one 100%. And besides, with Sporting pressing highly up on the pitch (under Paulo Sergio), he'll be in good use with his playing style.

I perhaps missed out a key word in that sentence:

"Genoa could be a good outside bet for a top four finish this season..."

Ah, I see then, but I don't think they'll finish top 6 ;)

Guest Phill

Hey DP, with the arrival of Moutinho, can you see Micael continue starting for Porto?

Hey DP' date=' with the arrival of Moutinho, can you see Micael continue starting for Porto?[/quote']

Yes, Fernando, Moutinho and Micael should be the starting trio. Raul Meireles will leave Porto, possibly moving to England.

Hey Derby, just a quick one on top of the Hulk query below...

Veloso's position is listed as DM/LB? What is his primary position and will he revert to a single position in the near or far future?

Cheers

Hey DP' date=' with the arrival of Moutinho, can you see Micael continue starting for Porto?[/quote']

Porto will play in a 4-3-3 formation with this midfield:

---------------Fernando

Ruben Micael -- Moutinho

With ruben micael being the most attacking player.

Raul Meireles is most likely to be sold this season...

Hey Derby' date=' just a quick one on top of the Hulk query below...

Veloso's position is listed as DM/LB? What is his primary position and will he revert to a single position in the near or far future?

Cheers[/quote']

I think he is more a CM/DM than a DM/LB.

He has a great passing skills but he is too slow for DM position.

He is already at a big club' date=' don't worry.

I'll be doing that in the main thread, like I did last year. But since the Portuguese league hasn't started yet, and most of the teams will not keep their current squad as it is, I figure there isn't any point in doing it ATM.[/quote']

ok... if you need, i could help... i'm portuguese and see almost games of portuguese league... another question could you help me to found danilo dias (maritimo)? i don't found him on db... he was a player to watch in this next season...

best regards

ok... if you need' date=' i could help... i'm portuguese and see almost games of portuguese league... another question could you help me to found danilo dias (maritimo)? i don't found him on db... he was a player to watch in this next season...

best regards[/quote']

Sure, I'll contact you if I need help. It's always nice to see a fellow Portuguese in the forum.

Danilo Dias is not on the database, I'm afraid. If you want, you can send an in-game support ticket with his personal info, and the SM researchers will add him since he has enough game time already.

Cheers. :)

Bruno Alves is apparentely set for a move to Zenit:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12003_6293545,00.html

I really thought all the big clubs would be after for a centre back as good as him as well:eek:,how big is the debt Porto suppose to have,considering you sell players on for huge money for every year I'm really suprised your not out of debt or are you run that way out of choice now,you've sold Lucho,Cissokho,Lisandro and Bruno Alves for £15 Million euros so that's £60 Million euros at least,and except Moutinho you haven't really spent a lot of it as I think Walter has cost you the most at £6 Million euros,I just think it's a shame because if you could actually keep a side and not sell them off you could really do something in Europe.