PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you ca

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread Like I use to do before every season, I will make a list about players that I think are worth to keep an eye on or to buy. I h

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread It has been a great journey since 2011, great people and great fun! And well, This is my forum post number 1000! I could

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Disscusion Thread

Sporting updated and Naval finished. Naval has three interesting players that will provide decent money after their respective rises: Tiago Rannow, Camora and Ouattara, Otherwise nothing of interest. There are about 4-5 players missing that came from lower France clubs that aren't on the database.

What formation do Braga normally play? I believe they used a 4-3-3 when I saw them play against Standard Liege last season' date=' but this season, I notice they've also used a 4-1-3-2 & even a 4-2-3-1?[/quote']

Peixoto was a very versatile player that allowed to change tactics often and we could see him usually play as a DM, LB or CM. Therefore, Braga's tactics were often built on him. Now that he is in Benfica, Domingos prefers a 4-1-3-2, with Vandinho as the DM, Hugo Viana as an AM/CM, Alan and Mossoro as a mixture of AM/Wing and Paulo Cesar + Meyong up front.

Rio Ave was added. Most of the starters are the same as last year, which means Rio Ave hasn't a lot of money spinners. Wires, Sidnei and Vitor Gomes should be in for half decent rises.

Check it here:

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showpost.php?p=754837&postcount=19

Djialio from Boavista is in my 10k risers mate' date=' wat do you think he will rise too.

ive got him down as a 70 -72+

Help apreciated mate:);)[/quote']

No chance mate. Boavista is playing in the 4rd (or is it 5th?) division after being relegated of the official championships due to huge financial debts. I doubt their players will even be reviewed.

EDIT: Also, there seems to be no player in Boavista named Djialio, according to the most complete Portuguese stats site. Are you sure you got the club right?

No chance mate. Boavista is playing in the 4rd (or is it 5th?) division after being relegated of the official championships due to huge financials debt. I doubt their players will even be reviewed.

EDIT: Also' date=' there seems to be no player in Boavista named Djialio, according to the most complete Portuguese stats site. Are you sure you got the club right?[/quote']

this guy:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/spieler/92033/djibril-djalo/default/2009/leistungsdaten.html

No wonder I couldn't find him, his name is Djibril and not Djialio :P. Well, according to this Portuguese site I use, and also through the link you provided me, he is currently a free agent. He is more likely to stay or drop.

No wonder I couldn't find him' date=' his name is Djibril and not Djialio :P. Well, according to this Portuguese site I use, and also through the link you provided me, he is currently a free agent. He is more likely to stay or drop.[/quote']

my spelling is rubbish:p;), i did actually think that he may be related to Djalo who plays for Sporting.:D

i might look it up' date=' its got me intrigued now, i deleted him from my thread now, due to your superb Portoguese knowledge;)[/quote']

I will spare you the trouble, Yannick has two siblings: Ronaldo e Açucena, and a foster brother called Kaby (plays in Chelsea I think). None of them are called Djibril. :D

Oh Kieran, please, you are embarrassing me :P.

hey how has keirrison been doing for benfica?

is he doing well?

Keirrison is just horrible. He isn't worth 2 million, let alone 15 million... Perhaps he isn't adapted to Europe yet, but the truth is that in the few games where he played, the performances he produced were a failure.

Keirrison is just horrible. He isn't worth 2 million' date=' let alone 15 million... Perhaps he isn't adapted to Europe yet, but the truth is that in the few games where he played, the performances he produced were a failure.[/quote']

Maybe you are right up to a point, but surely he needs a bit more of a chance to show what he can do?

Maybe you are right up to a point' date=' but surely he needs a bit more of a chance to show what he can do?[/quote']

He has played three games if I'm not mistaken. Technically, for a 15 million player, he should be showing something already. Filipe Menezes has done more in 20 or 30 minutes than Keirrison ever since he joined Benfica, and both came from Brazil. Even Nuno Gomes is now in front of him in the pecking order - and this tells much :D.

He has played three games if I'm not mistaken. Technically' date=' for a 15 million player, he should be showing something already. Filipe Menezes has done more in 20 or 30 minutes than Keirrison ever since he joined Benfica, and both came from Brazil. Even Nuno Gomes is now in front of him in the pecking order - and this tells much :D.[/quote']

Agreed, but Keirrison's potential and record in Brazil must have bumped up his transfer value. I'm not 100% sure on how these "third party ownership" schemes all work, but I'm sure Traffic will have taken a large proportion of the fee. I don't think his transfer fee should be doing the talking.

What you have to remember is that he is still young and he is trying to transfer his skills across in a completely different continent. Yes, he has the Portuguese language and the somewhat similar type of league to help him settle in, but it's not always easy for players to make an instant adjustment. It takes time, and if he gets it, I'm sure he will begin to show what he is capable of.

Anyway, like you said, he has only played in three fixtures, which isn't a lot. Only one of those was a start as well, so I think it's a tad early to start writing him off.

Agreed' date=' but Keirrison's potential and record in Brazil must have bumped up his transfer value. I'm not 100% sure on how these "third party ownership" schemes all work, but I'm sure Traffic will have taken a large proportion of the fee. I don't think his transfer fee should be doing the talking.[/quote']

Yeah, it bumped his value, obviously. However I can remember a few examples of players who came from Brazil and were very expensive (for instance Denilson to Real Betis) but totally floped in Europe. Now, I'm not saying Keirrison is a case similar to this, after all he has only played 3 games, but for example Falcao costed just 3,6 million euros, came from South America as well, is just a couple of years older than Keirrison and has scored 4 goals in 6 games. My point is something he should have shown already. Even if it was a tiny technical ability or a lucky goal. Instead Keirrison is little more than the people who are watching the game in the stadium.

What you have to remember is that he is still young and he is trying to transfer his skills across in a completely different continent. Yes, he has the Portuguese language and the somewhat similar type of league to help him settle in, but it's not always easy for players to make an instant adjustment. It takes time, and if he gets it, I'm sure he will begin to show what he is capable of.

I have to disagree. Hundreds of Brazilian players come to Portugal every year. Our style of football is so similar that very few of them has adaptation issues, and after the first impressions/games, they quickly start playing on the form that convinced the Portuguese club to buy him. In Portugal, Brazilian player = best solution, exactly because the adaptation is minimal.

Anyway, like you said, he has only played in three fixtures, which isn't a lot. Only one of those was a start as well, so I think it's a tad early to start writing him off.

Of course. For his sake though, he better start showing some skills ASAP because Jorge Jesus is known for having little patience with players that can't show quality in their performances, even if they proved they have quality in the past. And his "on loan from Barcelona" status won't save him for long...

Speaking of Brazilians' date=' do you think that Maicon will get a chance at your team? How far down is he in the pecking order? I am not rushing to sell him, as I have him out on loan, so I can give him more time.[/quote']

Give him more time. He is currently 3rd in the pecking order, but like I said somewhere in this thread, for me he is the new Pepe. Next year he should be a starter and quickly reach the 90. If you want to hold him that long, he will be worth it.

I have to disagree. Hundreds of Brazilian players come to Portugal every year. Our style of football is so similar that very few of them has adaptation issues' date=' and after the first impressions/games, they quickly start playing on the form that convinced the Portuguese club to buy him. In Portugal, Brazilian player = best solution, exactly because the adaptation is minimal.[/quote']

I think you may misunderstand my viewpoint. I completely accept this, and for most players, then yes, the transition is smooth. But does this mean that it's like this for every player? Of course not. Imagine if it were you who had to leave his country, friends and family behind at such a young age. Many will relish this opportunity, and I'm sure Keirrison does as well, but that doesn't mean that he will adjust immediately. And he didn't even arrive in Portugal until late July/early August, which doesn't give him a lot of time to settle in with his new teammates before the season kicks off.

All I'm saying is that I think it is unfair to judge him so early into his career in European football. I am somewhat of a rarity in football in that I am a very patient and forgiving fan, especially with young players and particularly when they are such precocious talents like Keirrison. It annoys me when people criticise a couple of bad performances, just in the same way as people overhype a couple of good performances. People should just sit back and give the guy a chance to really show what he can do, which, as most people know, is a hell of a lot.

I think you may misunderstand my viewpoint. I completely accept this' date=' and for most players, then yes, the transition is smooth. But does this mean that it's like this for every player? Of course not. Imagine if it were you who had to leave his country, friends and family behind at such a young age. Many will relish this opportunity, and I'm sure Keirrison does as well, but that doesn't mean that he will adjust immediately. And he didn't even arrive in Portugal until late July/early August, which doesn't give him a lot of time to settle in with his new teammates before the season kicks off.

All I'm saying is that I think it is unfair to judge him so early into his career in European football. I am somewhat of a rarity in football in that I am a very patient and forgiving fan, especially with young players and particularly when they are such precocious talents like Keirrison. It annoys me when people criticise a couple of bad performances, just in the same way as people overhype a couple of good performances. People should just sit back and give the guy a chance to really show what he can do, which, as most people know, is a hell of a lot.[/quote']

I'm not judging him already. Like I said, I understand that he his young, that he is still at a learning level and his potential could lead him to be a rather successful player. The thing is Portuguese fans are very impatient (me included) and particularly those in Benfica, which is normal considering they aren't champions for 4 years now. Keirrison has been launched in the game always in the best circumstances: Benfica was playing in front of their fans (at home), the scoreline was already dilated in favour of Benfica... Basically no pressure for him at all. Yet he hasn't been able to minimally correspond. Benfica has 6 strikers as of date. Cardozo and Saviola are the undisputable starters and are forming a very interesting duo. Nuno Gomes and Weldon score whenever they are subbed in. Mantorras in one of Benfica fans idols and despite having a "wood leg" he still plays now and then. Should Keirrison keep his current form... even in Cup games he won't be a starter.