PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Did I forget something Pazz? Talk about tactical inconsistency...

Hmm' date=' Postiga on the left/right-flank in a 4-3-3 formation at occasions. Postiga's also been playing in the middle in a 4-3-3 formation. I think Torsiglieri has been used as a right (or possibly left) back, but I'm not so sure on it. Bottom line, as you said, Paulo Sergio clearly has some tactical issue problems.

Well, I have to say that Sporting's squad isn't very good... It might be enough to do better than the current results, but after all they did lose their three best players (Moutinho, Veloso and Izmailov, who probably needs a bionic knee by now).

Bottom line: the weaker clubs which play with an ultra defensive mentality against the "big three" narrowed it down to Porto and Benfica. They don't play as defensively against Sporting any more. Just watch last night's match. I saw a second half which was practically dominated by Paços. And they were playing away. When Sporting scored the equalizer on the counter, it was predictable that Paços started to operated more on their midfield, trying to keep possession and waste time. Instead, Paços' manager sends Nelson Oliveira (A STRIKER) to the pitch, and they score the third and last goal of the match. My point is that these clubs know that Sporting is fragile, and they are not afraid to have a go at them now. And Sporting hasn't been able to cope with it yet. It's good for the Portuguese football. But not as good for Sporting. Paulo Sérgio's fault? Meh, probably...

They don't perhaps have the best squad in the Portuguese setup, but the squad should with a doubt be able of beating all teams except for Porto and Benfica (and it's a fifty-fifty shot against Braga), but what should upset up the Sporting fans is the fact that they are having troubles with teams that are of very low quality. This past weekend, against Pacos, wasn't the first time Sporting failed to do their job and destroy the game as early as possible and most notably, actually do it with style. The team needs constinency, it's no brainer. I mean, how often do you see teams that could play a great football against top teams (Benfica and Braga in this case), but yet, finding problems to concure three points against those so-called low-quality teams. However, I cannot see a future with the ending Paulo Sergio-Sporting Club de Portugal, it's impossible. They really need to fire Paulo Sergio, to be honest. I do not care the slightest about the fact that Sporting advanced through the Europa League group stage quite easily (which only shows the up's and down's this team has had with Paulo Sergio) and that they are currently lieing 3rd in Liga Sagres. It might look decent on the paper, but in reality, it's not. The league is already over for Sporting, they're just fighting to get out to Europe the next season and they will just crash out of the Europa League sooner or later.

Also, about the game against Pacos the other day, Paulo Sergio once again showed his true face. I mean, he made the impossible (which no other manager woul do) and bringed in Zapater and Grimi, two more defensive players rather offensive ones, in the dieing minutes of the game, where Sporting needed another goal to seel the win. Can't he just realize that it is better to at least try and go for the win against low-quality teams, rather let them attack and dominate them just to earn your (bigger) team a draw...? It doesn't matter if he is losing the team, at least he tried! It's not the first time Paulo Sergio decides to trust on his defensive-method when Sporting in reality needs a win to gather their face (= reputation) back by going for the win against those smaller teams and at least been seen by the media and fans as ''those who tried to take 3 points'' and not ''those who are over-payed players who shouldn't even look at Sporting's direction''. The Sporting we are currently seeing today, is not the players problem, but it is spelled P-A-U-L-O S-E-R-G-I-O. He must go now!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After the checking the amount of comments in the main thread (despite my efforts to avoid having them there) and PM's both through the forum and in-game, I decided to create this thread so that you ca

Otavio only deserves a +1 I think. Braga have been dropping like a stone recently which may (and probably should) affect their review.  Rahul's predictions for the big 3 are fair, so for the othe

Re: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread It has been a great journey since 2011, great people and great fun! And well, This is my forum post number 1000! I could

Re: Respuesta: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Can somebody tell me something about Sergio Oliveira' date='18-years old Porto player on loan at Beira-Mar.Does he play in starting 11 in Beira Mar;)[/quote']

As a supporter of Beira-Mar and Porto i think i can answer you m8 xD Despite Sergio Oliveira is very talented, he´s not playing in starting 11 of Beira-Mar. He gets some games for minor competitions, like Taça de Portugal and Carlsberg Cup and he did great on those games. Nice vision and pass ability. I guess because Beira-Mar is doing so great this season, its hard for the kid to get in the team, cause if things is going good, why changing the line-up? Anyway, i think if he keeps impressing and give his best in trainments, he can jump to the 11 start. He will play tonight for Beira-Mar in Carlsberg Cup game against Porto (his team), so lets see what he can do. He´s one for the future, no dought about that.

Re: Respuesta: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

Tnx man' date='i think that he is really great potencial,and please write to us how he played against Porto:)[/quote']

Well, Porto won 3-0. Its hard to judge Sergio Oliveira, cause Beira-Mar´s manager put in the field a total secound team, weaker players and no routines at all between them, resulting in a poor performance from the team and players. He showed his good touch, but not much than that. The game had no interest for Beira-Mar, they´re focused on saturday´s night match against Porto again, now for Liga Zon Sagres and in Beira-Mar´s home. It woulld be easier to judge him in that game, with better players around him and with nice routines, but he will probably not play, so lets wait for another opportunity.

Okk' date='is Henrique Walter played for Porto,a know that he can't be a starting 11 player for Porto when there are Falcao and Hulk,but do you rate him,can he become good as Falcao for a year or two?[/quote']

Well, to be fair, its hard to get good as Falcao for any player ^^ They´re different players. Walter is a powerfull player, good shoot, but he is still adapting to the team and to Portugal. Falcao works better the ball and helps defending and is always pressing the opponents. Also, his movimentation in the area is awsome and that´s what makes him score so much goals. At moment, i can´t say if Walter will be a regular starter from Porto someday, need to see more of him. But he scores everytime he plays, looks like he got the killer instinct of a good striker. He scored 7 goals this season for a total of 650 minutes or something around that. Its very good racio, despite some of the goals was scored against weak opponents. Honestly, i dont rate him at Falcao´s level and i doubt he will reach that level in future, but he still being a good player. Hope that helped m8. Maybe DerbyPower have a different opinion.

Well' date=' to be fair, its hard to get good as Falcao for any player ^^ They´re different players. Walter is a powerfull player, good shoot, but he is still adapting to the team and to Portugal. Falcao works better the ball and helps defending and is always pressing the opponents. Also, his movimentation in the area is awsome and that´s what makes him score so much goals. At moment, i can´t say if Walter will be a regular starter from Porto someday, need to see more of him. But he scores everytime he plays, looks like he got the killer instinct of a good striker. He scored 7 goals this season for a total of 650 minutes or something around that. Its very good racio, despite some of the goals was scored against weak opponents. Honestly, i dont rate him at Falcao´s level and i doubt he will reach that level in future, but he still being a good player. Hope that helped m8. Maybe DerbyPower have a different opinion.[/quote']

I agree with this.

Would just like to know who is the better all round player. Hulk or Falcao. Also if you had to choose one' date=' only one, who would it be? Comments from anyone would be appreciated.[/quote']

Best all round player for me is Falcao.

Hulk is extraordinary at what he knows, but Falcao knows a lot more stuff at a high level.

But to chose one to buy I'd go for Hulk. Imho he's the most likely to move to a super team.

Best all round player for me is Falcao.

Hulk is extraordinary at what he knows' date=' but Falcao knows a lot more stuff at a high level.

But to chose one to buy I'd go for Hulk. Imho he's the most likely to move to a super team.[/quote']

but you said Falcao is the better all roung player. I dont want to know who is most likely to move, i just want to know who is the better player. :)

but you said Falcao is the better all roung player. I dont want to know who is most likely to move' date=' i just want to know who is the better player. :)[/quote']

I thought you were asking like if you were going to buy one, who would be better.

But in real life, the one I'd rather have in my team is Falcao, no doubt about that ;)

Respuesta: PORTUGAL – 1st and 2nd Division extensive thread - Discussion Thread

I sometimes watch Portugal legue,last time i watched Sporting-Braga and Porto vs hmm..Maritimo maybe,i forget,but Porto easy wined...Hulk is amazing,i think he will become 93-94 player if he leaves Porto,and i dont get it why is Guarin just 86 rated,in that game he was really great..

And Benfica CB David Luiz,every day i read that Chelsea want's him,Real want's him,but is he really so good,when i watched him he wasn't soo impresive..good but not that good.

Also,can you guys tell something about Torsiglieri,Sporting CB,is he good potencial?

Tnx:)

I sometimes watch Portugal legue' date='last time i watched Sporting-Braga and Porto vs hmm..Maritimo maybe,i forget,but Porto easy wined...Hulk is amazing,i think he will become 93-94 player if he leaves Porto,and i dont get it why is Guarin just 86 rated,in that game he was really great..

And Benfica CB David Luiz,every day i read that Chelsea want's him,Real want's him,but is he really so good,when i watched him he wasn't soo impresive..good but not that good.

Also,can you guys tell something about Torsiglieri,Sporting CB,is he good potencial?

Tnx:)[/quote']

David Luiz is overated and the price i hear he is worth is around 25m which is worse than Lescotts Price , I Remember last season he was quite good but on a serious note he is quite overated.

Guarin has always been good just not given the chance and he has this season , loved his goal not that long ago :eek:

Not seen enough of Torsi.

I sometimes watch Portugal legue' date='last time i watched Sporting-Braga and Porto vs hmm..Maritimo maybe,i forget,but Porto easy wined...Hulk is amazing,i think he will become 93-94 player if he leaves Porto,and i dont get it why is Guarin just 86 rated,in that game he was really great..

Tnx:)[/quote']

I do not agree with previous poster. Imho David Luiz is underperforming this season.

Last season he was amazing, but now it appears he has some problems with not being allowed to leave in the summer and maybe some problems with the manager Jesus also rumoured.

No overrated player is a starter for Brazil!

Not log ago, former Atletico de Madrid star and idol Paulo Futre said David Luiz and Gerard Piqué to be the best CB's in the world in the near future.

I already had that opinion about Piqué and if David Luiz makes the right choice of next club, he might get there too...

I don't think Guarin is that great of a player. He recently scored an amazing goal, but that's about it...

Torsiglieri was voted the biggest flop of 2010 on one of the biggest portuguese football sites. He just isn't playing at all... I can honestly say that I have no idea how good or bad he is.

Torsiglieri was voted the biggest flop of 2010 on one of the biggest portuguese football sites. He just isn't playing at all... I can honestly say that I have no idea how good or bad he is.

How?! He's only played 4 times in the league! Is that really enough to judge a flop? He was impressive for Velez the season before he moved to Sporting, although I was surprised he got the move. In all honesty, it's too early to judge whether he'll make it or not yet because he hasn't been given a chance.

How?! He's only played 4 times in the league! Is that really enough to judge a flop? He was impressive for Velez the season before he moved to Sporting' date=' although I was surprised he got the move. In all honesty, it's too early to judge whether he'll make it or not yet because he hasn't been given a chance.[/quote']

It works a bit like Italy's Bidon d'Oro. Simply not playing after being purchased for a considerable price tag is regarded as enough material for a "flop" award. Pretty pathetic if you ask me, but I don't step on said Portuguese site anyway.

Hey Derby' date=' since both Maicon and Otamendi have been playing for Porto, which one do you think should be Rolando's partner in the future?

Or should they both play together?[/quote']

Actually, I think that the future partnership will be Maicon - Otamendi. Rolando should be sold soon, he has some interesting clubs after him namely Juventus.

Hey I need to know if Moutinho will rise' date=' drop or stay.[/quote']

He will stay, but if Porto were in the Champions League he'd rise to 92. His current form is tremendous, nothing short of Lucho's back when he was a 93 at Porto.