Nationality: Brazilian

Club: Gremio

Position: Centre Back

Squad Number: N/A

Honours: 2006 Brazil U16 Cup, 2009 South American U17 Championship

SM Rating: Not On DB

Predicted SM Rating: 74

Potential SM Rating: 93+

Lucio, Aldair, Carlos Alberto. Brazil, despite being known for their Legendary attackers have produced some of the greatest Centre Backs that the world has ever seen, whilst it has been quiet recently, now the next potential great steps up and has caught the eyes of Europe’s big boys. His name is Gerson Fraga Vieira, better known as Gerson.

Gerson is a 16 year old Centre Back, currently on the books of Gremio, producers of great CBs such as Edinho, Everaldo, Mazzaropi and Airton Pavilhã, who are, in no uncertain terms, completely unwilling to negotiate his potential transfer with any club.These are not just any clubs. *Unconfirmed* suggest that Villarreal, Malaga, Barcelona, Liverpool and Traffic Sports Marketing (‘owners’ of Keirrison and Lulinha) have had bids in the region of $3m rejected. Certainly, there is no lack of interest in the player tipped to be paying for Brazil’s U21s by the time he is 18. His aerial prowess is phenomonal considering his lack of height. In the South American U17 game, his strength and leadership are second to none, and he is widely tipped to captain Gremio’s youth team to National success after they lifted the unique treble of the Campeonato Brasileiro Sub-20, the Copa Santiago de Futebol Juvenil (they lost out to Inter in ’09) and the Taça Belo Horizonte de Juniores.

In 2007, the young CB won the National U16 Cup with Gremio, which was the first occasion when he came to the attention of a major club, as Real Madrid’s scout/manager Julen Lopetegui recommended him to Bernd Schuster, who promptly rejected a centre back who (currently!) stands at only 1.78 metres tall (5’10). But unaware of such interest, Gerson kept playing for the Under 16s until the time came for him to step up into the next age bracket.

And boy did he shock them. Alongside starring Vasco Da Gama/Internazionale’s attacking midfielder Philippe Coutinho and his best friend, substitute ‘keeper Alisson of Internacional he made it into Lucho Nizzo’s final U17 squad for the South American Championships, and it came as a surprise to many (but not to Luís Paulo ‘Bugre’ Peixoto, Gremio’s U17 coach) that this relatively unknown young defender was handed the captain’s armband for Brazil’s opening group match against Paraguay. His astonishing performance ensured he kept it for the rest of the tournament. With Philippe Coutinho starring (with a penalty and three assists) the captain remained steadfast at the back, issuing orders and showing such control of his team that commentator, Picato do Gringo remarked:

‘I didn’t know that 30 year olds were legible for this competition!’

As the competition progressed, he looked more and more in control of both himself and the team who relied on him so heavily after (proposed) previous captain Neymar didn’t make the tournament, and lede by example, scoring a strong header from an inch perfect Coutinho free kick delivery.

Unfortunately, wracked by nerves and rumours of Manchester United’s interest in left sided CB Dodo of Corinthians, Brazil crashed 0-2 to Colombia, with Gerson rallying his troops late on but to no avail. But the Selecao advanced to the semis, where a spirited Bolivia contained them in an even first half, only for Brazil to run rampant and emerge 3-0 winners after the most one sided 45 minutes of football of the tournament.

Brazil got off to a dream start in the Clasico final against eternal rivals Argentina, with Zezinho’s snapshot clipping the post and sending the Brazilians 1 up. They were on cloud nine, after Gerson’s inch perfect pass reached Dodo, who ran the entire left flank to cross for Coutinho, who made no mistake and sent them 2-0 up. Gerson’s leadership qualities were evident in extra time as Brazil conceded two goals in the second half. He held his nerve to slot his penalty in and Brazil emerged 8-7 victors on penalties, with a teary Gerson lifting the trophy above his head.

This kid is going to be M-A-S-S-I-V-E. Now with the South American U17s under his belt he has aroused the attentions of several of Europe’s top clubs, and it really is only a matter of time before he’s at a top club in a top league, playing as South America’s top centre back.

Please be kind, this is my first report... :(:D:o

Re: Gerson - Brazilian Colossus

Great report. He was mentionned in Carbon's South American thread, but it's very flawed. Carbon doesn't know what he's talking about, listing Gerson as a wingback :rolleyes:

All you said is true, he impressed me as well during that tournament.

Once again, thanks so much to Bornich, .Ribery. and Mark, it's nice to get positive feedback, and I'm trying to dig up a bit on his situation in Gremio's youth teams. Thanks guys! :P

Once again' date=' thanks so much to Bornich, .Ribery. and Mark, it's nice to get positive feedback, and I'm trying to dig up a bit on his situation in Gremio's youth teams. Thanks guys! :P[/quote']

It's fairly simple. He doesn't need to be rushed at all with Rever, Leo and Rafa Marques all cemented in the first team. If a substitute is needed, Heverton or Saimon come in. The first youth who will be promoted and used is Saimon, as both he and Gerson are about the same quality (Gerson a bit better for the future, I'd guess) and Saimon is older.

EDIT: Mario Fernandes, U20 international also comes first. I forgot he wasn't at Sao Caetano anymore.

This gives Gerson all the time in the world to come into his own, which is a good thing. Two years from now, Leo and Rever (and maybe Marques) will be in Europe, and Gerson will be an 18 year old starter. That's what I'm predicting anyway.

Sorry for the misunderstanding there, I meant that I'm trying (so far unsuccessfully) to find his youth stats, i.e appearances, disciplinary record etc. It'll be a good two years before he surfaces into the first team ranks. IF Leo and Rever depart to Europe, it mightn't be a bad thing! :P

I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who read the report and commented, thanks a million! Gerson is in Gremio's Youth Squad, and according to reports, the teams hovering in the shadows are the aforementioned Liverpool, Barcelona, Villarreal and Malaga, but Udinese, Roma, Manchester United and Atletico Madrid have been mentioned in the stuff I've read. Next up is Seb Gallegos! :D

It seems that his Brazil U17 haven't gone unnoticed, here are clubs with 'confirmed interest':

Barca, Malaga, Villarreal, Udinese, Roma, Liverpool, Al Ittihad, Al Gharafa (who bought Juninho) and Juventus. Big list for a 16 year old! :D

*UPDATE*

Bugre (Gremio's U17 coach) has recommended two youth players, believed to be Gerson and midfielder Fernando, to Paulo Autuori for promotion to the full squad.

This means Gerson is coming along nicely, and despite Rever and Leo's domination of the CB spots, I'd hope that Gerson will make he bench a few times this season, maybe even getting a sub appearance or two. Still a long way to go until he'll break through at Gremio, but recent developments have been promising.

I'll stick to my opinion that this kid'll be the next Lucio. :D

Gremio are producing some absolutely awesome players!

Am I remembering correctly that Gremio usually play with three CBs?

Yep, they do pretty often! :D

Gerson could break through when he's approaching 18 in my opinion, when Leo has departed to Europe (Maybe Rever too) and maybe even earlier if Bugre gets his way!

He's getting there! ;)

Guest Abdel Zizi

Missed this thread, but have to say it's a very good one.

Brazil won the Copa Sendai last week. If you recognize the name, it's because this is the tournament that got Rafael Toloi's name known within Brazil youth squads.

Anyway, Gerson captained the U17 team in this tourney and scored the only goal in the final against France.

U17 World Cup coming up in October.

;2596338']still on the Gremio books' date=' got his first taste of action in the 2013 Gaucho

4 starts at CB.[/quote']

I wondered where Gerson had got too!! Strange to see my old posts (I was Martin O'Neill back in the day!!)