Sign in to follow this  
JakeMCFC

The Official Tennis Thread

Re: Official Tennis Thread

Thought I would get this thread up and running by letting you's know that over this past week I have been ball boying at the AEGON Championships in Disdbury and I ball boyed for quite a big few names like Alex Bogdanovic GB's Number 2 I think, Nicolas Mahut, Sergiy Stakhovsky rated 84th in the world and went out in the first round and Joshua Goodall. Olivier Rochus won the singles tournament and throughout the tournament he always looked like one of the favourites and beating Nicolas Mahut in the Semi Finals gave him an amazing chance in the Final. The doubles was won by Englands Joshua Goodall and Jonny Marray who I didn't see much of throughout the tournament but seem good.

well' date=' um i play tennis just for fun. I like to slice the ball a lot which you don't see much of unless it is Wimbledon or if Roger Federer is playin.[/quote']

Andy Murray slices the ball almost every shot. In-fact, rarely do I see a player who doesn't slice it in a game.

Couple of big tournaments coming up in August. Murray will have 1000 ranking points to defend at Cincinnati. Should be an interesting one. Until then, not a lot going from a Murray perspective, just a few minor tournaments across Europe before we head into the Hard court season.

well' date=' um i play tennis just for fun. I like to slice the ball a lot which you don't see much of unless it is Wimbledon or if Roger Federer is playin.[/quote']

Slicee shots are class mate, best shot you can possibly do to get a good point. ;):P

i love tennis and have bin playin since i was 8. i saw federer play at the hopman cup before he was good and thought now this guy can play and then he hasnt dissapointed me. I also saw monfils and tsonga play before they were good and they arent doing to bad. if only i could scout for soccer lol

federer uses his racket like a wand and brought out all the party tricks against Del Potro in the Aussie Open this year. Anyone see that game? Federer was a true freak :P

Andy Murray slices the ball almost every shot. In-fact' date=' rarely do I see a player who doesn't slice it in a game.

Couple of big tournaments coming up in August. Murray will have 1000 ranking points to defend at Cincinnati. Should be an interesting one. Until then, not a lot going from a Murray perspective, just a few minor tournaments across Europe before we head into the Hard court season.[/quote']

yeah slices are great to change the tempo and make your openent generate all the pace :D

no i am not. i hate Federer and I love nadal.

any reason?

for me i really like federers raquet skills. nadal is amazing with the spin and power he generates but federer is better to watch coz of his variety of shots.

beware federer !

Federer's not got much to worry about tbh. Him and Nadal are pretty even on their day, Nadal has a slight edge, but with the injury it will be a good month or so before he's at his very best.

And excluding the US Open, ranking-wise Federer has nothing to worry about either. Nadal and Murray have loads to lose whereas Federer has little. I think it's almost impossible for Nadal to catch Federer before the US Open, and chances are Federer will be No. 1 come 2010.

Not to mention the added confidence of having won the last two grand slams, having beaten Sampras' record, relieving a lot of mental pressure, I'm sure Federer will be feeling as good as ever and probably can't wait to face Nadal once again.

Federer's not got much to worry about tbh. Him and Nadal are pretty even on their day' date=' Nadal has a slight edge, but with the injury it will be a good month or so before he's at his very best.

And excluding the US Open, ranking-wise Federer has nothing to worry about either. Nadal and Murray have loads to lose whereas Federer has little. I think it's almost impossible for Nadal to catch Federer before the US Open, and chances are Federer will be No. 1 come 2010.

[b']Not to mention the added confidence of having won the last two grand slams, having beaten Sampras' record, relieving a lot of mental pressure[/b], I'm sure Federer will be feeling as good as ever and probably can't wait to face Nadal once again.

in the bold that is a really good point i hadnt thought about. i find he sometimes stutters when breaking records

Haha, my dad just pointed something out to me he read in the paper.

A few days ago there was a small event in Eastbourne - an amateur tennis match (the format similar to the Davis cup), with an Eastbourne team playing a team from North Scotland. So the Eastbourne team turn up to tournament, and who do they see on the other side of the net? None other than Andy (and Jamie) Murray. I wondered what he'd been doing recently, with no mention of him on SSN or the ATP site! :P

The funny thing is, despite Murray winning all three of his matches, North Scotland still lost 5-4 to Eastbourne. No wonder they asked the Murray's to play!

It was such a small tournament, there weren't any line judges or even an umpire.

Murray said afterwards that he was asked about it and thought it would be "a bit of fun".

Edit: There's actually an article about it on SSN: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12110_5449304,00.html

I am curious where all the top guys have been recently though. Whereas the guys ranked 7 and lower (Verdasco, Simon, Davydenko, Soderling, etc) are playing in various 250 Masters and smaller tournaments ahead of Montreal, Federer, Murray, Djokovic, DelP and Roddick are nowhere to be seen. And of course Nadal is getting himself fit again.

I am curious where all the top guys have been recently though. Whereas the guys ranked 7 and lower (Verdasco' date=' Simon, Davydenko, Soderling, etc) are playing in various 250 Masters and smaller tournaments ahead of Montreal, [b']Federer[/b], Murray, Djokovic, DelP and Roddick are nowhere to be seen. And of course Nadal is getting himself fit again.

federer has probably with his wife who just had twins but don't know about the others. probably just a break so they can be fresh for little longer. there positions for the masters series and rankings are pretty secure so maybe they feel they can afford a break

Federer's not got much to worry about tbh. Him and Nadal are pretty even on their day' date=' Nadal has a slight edge, but with the injury it will be a good month or so before he's at his very best.

Not to mention the added confidence of having won the last two grand slams, having beaten Sampras' record, relieving a lot of mental pressure, I'm sure Federer will be feeling as good as ever and probably can't wait to face Nadal once again.[/quote']

Nadal has more than a slight edge on Federer. Nadal decimated Roger in the French last year,beat him on grass and this year beat him in Melbourne on a hard court which has always been his big weakness. If his mind is free when he comes back and hes fit Federer better watch out.

Although you are probably right about the no.1 ranking. This time of the year has never been Nadal's best. Always struggles. But who knows he will be fresher this time and no one expected him to win the Aus Open.

Nadal has more than a slight edge on Federer. Nadal decimated Roger in the French last year' date='beat him on grass and this year beat him in Melbourne on a hard court which has always been his big weakness. If his mind is free when he comes back and hes fit Federer better watch out.

Although you are probably right about the no.1 ranking. This time of the year has never been Nadal's best. Always struggles. But who knows he will be fresher this time and no one expected him to win the Aus Open.[/quote']

its great for the game if he is fit and doing well. im not his biggest fan but he gives the game an edge. if it wasn't for federer and nadal mens tennis would be very close but boring i reckon.

hes never made the final for the US but if he IS 100% he has a good chance. espacially after the experience he would have gained after the Aus Open this year.