Sign in to follow this  
JakeMCFC

The Official Tennis Thread

Re: Official Tennis Thread

Has Murray peaked? His last real good performance was Cilic in Australia. Ever since getting battered the second time in GS final by Federer he's been a shadow of himself. Playing nowhere near the standard he set last year. It's a real disappointment - after Australia I had high hopes for him but now it looks like he's going to tumble down the rankings and get nowhere in any of the Grand Slams. What's happened? Is it because he break up with his girlfriend? Loss of confidence after the Federer game? Just peaked too early? Loss of motivation?

The last 16 isn't bad for Murray in this Grand Slam, but he scraped through all his matches, and whilst they made for good entertainment, it's a big worry. And then when he finally lost, it was straight sets. Don't get me wrong, Berdych is a top player, but on his day Murray is a level ahead.

As for Nadal, great to see him back to his best. :) Soderling's also really surprised me - Ever since last year I thought this was going to be the tournament that sees him take a giant tumble down the rankings. But no, he managed to repeat last year's feat, although with Nadal and Federer swapping places. He's definitely proved that he's more than a one tournament wonder and it's only a matter of time before he takes Murray in the rankings. Up to 6th now - is that his highest ever?

One question though - does anyone know what's happened to Del Potro? After winning the US Open last year he proved himself as a better player than Murray and at only 20 people thought this year was going to be the one where he pulled away from Djokovic and Murray and attacked Federer and Nadal for #1. Haven't been following tennis much since Australia tbh (well, the few tournaments after that where Murray fell to pieces). Is he injured? Or just taking a break?

Has Murray peaked? His last real good performance was Cilic in Australia. Ever since getting battered the second time in GS final by Federer he's been a shadow of himself. Playing nowhere near the standard he set last year. It's a real disappointment - after Australia I had high hopes for him but now it looks like he's going to tumble down the rankings and get nowhere in any of the Grand Slams. What's happened? Is it because he break up with his girlfriend? Loss of confidence after the Federer game? Just peaked too early? Loss of motivation?

The last 16 isn't bad for Murray in this Grand Slam' date=' but he scraped through all his matches, and whilst they made for good entertainment, it's a big worry. And then when he finally lost, it was straight sets. Don't get me wrong, Berdych is a top player, but on his day Murray is a level ahead.

As for Nadal, great to see him back to his best. :) Soderling's also really surprised me - Ever since last year I thought this was going to be the tournament that sees him take a giant tumble down the rankings. But no, he managed to repeat last year's feat, although with Nadal and Federer swapping places. He's definitely proved that he's more than a one tournament wonder and it's only a matter of time before he takes Murray in the rankings. Up to 6th now - is that his highest ever?

One question though - does anyone know what's happened to Del Potro? After winning the US Open last year he proved himself as a better player than Murray and at only 20 people thought this year was going to be the one where he pulled away from Djokovic and Murray and attacked Federer and Nadal for #1. Haven't been following tennis much since Australia tbh (well, the few tournaments after that where Murray fell to pieces). Is he injured? Or just taking a break?[/quote']

Injured. Arm IIRC, not confident on that though. Time frame isn't good either, heard Rusedski say during the French that he doesn't expect to play a Slam this year.

As for Murray, I'd say it's just a tough run of form. Let's see how he goes at Wimbledon and the US (particularly the latter), if he continues to labour through matches at those two it might be a more deep lying problem.

When I created this thread back last year, it was due to doing ball boying and I have been very busy this week doing it again at Didsbury! :D Was great, still got tommorow yet, finals day so looking forward to it. These are some of the main players that are amongst the exhibition:

Richard Krajicek

Mansour Bahrami

Jeremy Bates

Paul McNamee

Martina Hingis

All well known names, Krajicek former Wimbledon champion along with Hingis I think. Bahrami, very funny on court, has me in stitches whilst I'm trying to concentrate. They call it the North Wimbledon, great playing surfaces that are well looked after. Also featured on ITV News on Wednesday. :D

Latest Tennis news: Andy Murray has sacked his coach Miles MacLagen after almost three years together.

It will be interesting to see who Murray hires as his next coach and if he makes any difference.

MacLagen's gone? :eek:

Thing is about tennis, it's a ruthless sport. MacLagen has played a huge part in making Murray the force he is today, the titles he's won and the Grand Slam finals he's reached. However obviously now Murray feels that he's gone as far as he can go under MacLagen. I know that they get on really well and I'm sure Murray appreciates how good a coach MacLagen has been, but I guess he feels a new coach, a new direction might help him move to a new level and start to challenge Nadal a bit more competitively, as well as improving his consistency.

MacLagen's gone? :eek:

Thing is about tennis' date=' it's a ruthless sport. MacLagen has played a huge part in making Murray the force he is today, the titles he's won and the Grand Slam finals he's reached. However obviously now Murray feels that he's gone as far as he can go under MacLagen. I know that they get on really well and I'm sure Murray appreciates how good a coach MacLagen has been, but I guess he feels a new coach, a new direction might help him move to a new level and start to challenge Nadal a bit more competitively, as well as improving his consistency.[/quote']

But can consistency be coached into you? Surely the only way you can be consistent is through your own hard work? Consistency is a gift, some have it, some down. A coach can make you better, but not more consistent.

I don't get why he ever got rid of Brad Gilbert, surely he could have taken him to the point of challenging Nadal further.

Anyway, I've got a positive feeling about Murray winning the US Open, I reckon after this good Wimbledon performance, he will come in with momentum and belief he can succeed, and Federer isn't looking great at the moment, if you get your gameplan right and stick to it then at the moment Federer is very beatable. Also, he's beaten Nadal there before and Murray will want to put things right with Nadal after Wimbledon. He's also very strong on those surfaces, and I can see him conquering most players.

Would this sacking of the coach affect him?

But can consistency be coached into you? Surely the only way you can be consistent is through your own hard work? Consistency is a gift' date=' some have it, some down. A coach can make you better, but not more consistent.

I don't get why he ever got rid of Brad Gilbert, surely he could have taken him to the point of challenging Nadal further.

Anyway, I've got a positive feeling about Murray winning the US Open, I reckon after this good Wimbledon performance, he will come in with momentum and belief he can succeed, and Federer isn't looking great at the moment, if you get your gameplan right and stick to it then at the moment Federer is very beatable. Also, he's beaten Nadal there before and Murray will want to put things right with Nadal after Wimbledon. He's also very strong on those surfaces, and I can see him conquering most players.

Would this sacking of the coach affect him?[/quote']

Nonsense, consistency is very much something that can be coached. How do you think the best players in any sport are so consistent? From training the same areas over, and over again. If Murray wants to consistently be able to make the best shots, he has to train them over and over again. No matter how good you are, that's not something that will be natural.

Everyone knows that the US Open is Murray's best chance, but I still don't he'll win it this year. Nadal is too dominant on Clay and Murray isn't even close when it comes to Grass. However Nadal struggles more on the Hard than the other surfaces. Federer is finally looking like he's on the way down. Djokovic has never been much of a threat in Grand Slams, he's a great player and consistently reaches the latter stages but I can't remember the last time he won a big tournament. Del Potro will be a major threat, but Murray has a great record against him. Murray is good enough to win this tournament (and the Australian Open), but it's all about holding his nerve when it really matters. I reckon he'll get to the Semis then choke against Nadal, Federer, Soderling or whoever he may face.

Nonsense' date=' consistency is very much something that can be coached. How do you think the best players in any sport are so consistent? From training the same areas over, and over again. If Murray wants to consistently be able to make the best shots, he has to train them over and over again. No matter how good you are, that's not something that will be natural.[/quote']

The best players in the world are so consistent because of yes, good coaching, but, also, they have a gift. A coach cannot make you go out and play very well every game, a coach can teach you how to play well, but he can't make you constantly play well once you get onto the court for the game. That's down to you and you only. It's down to whether you are prepared to never stop fighting and believing, and whether you keep your focus 100% of the time.

It's like how in football Robinho was never consistent for City despite good managers or how Bopara isn't consistent in the cricket despite having good coaches behind the scenes. Consistency is down to you and nobody else.

Does anyone here play tennis? What brand of raquet do you prefer and what surface? Also what if your prefered wing?

I love my Wilson racquets. I've always had one so am use to weight and that. Cannot stand head raquests. Love playing on Flexipave and synthetic grass. Flexipave is so good though! I love my backhand too :D

Does anyone here play tennis? What brand of raquet do you prefer and what surface? Also what if your prefered wing?

I love my Wilson racquets. I've always had one so am use to weight and that. Cannot stand head raquests. Love playing on Flexipave and synthetic grass. Flexipave is so good though! I love my backhand too :D

Babolat, have 3 now and love them :D

Have been getting a fair bit of coaching recently. Won the Ulster League yesterday and came runner up in the doubles :)

Flexpave then fake grass.

Personally i prefer double handed backhand to single, what about yourselves ?

The best players in the world are so consistent because of yes' date=' good coaching, but, also, they have a gift. A coach cannot [b']make[/b] you go out and play very well every game, a coach can teach you how to play well, but he can't make you constantly play well once you get onto the court for the game. That's down to you and you only. It's down to whether you are prepared to never stop fighting and believing, and whether you keep your focus 100% of the time.

It's like how in football Robinho was never consistent for City despite good managers or how Bopara isn't consistent in the cricket despite having good coaches behind the scenes. Consistency is down to you and nobody else.

Yes, and Murray has that "gift". What makes the likes of Murray, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, etc, ahead of the rest is their consistency. But good coaching, and if Murray can make the big points more often than he does right now, he could be one of the best players in the world. That's the point I'm trying to make. He is consistent, but good mental coaching could make him great.

Babolat' date=' have 3 now and love them :D

Have been getting a fair bit of coaching recently. Won the Ulster League yesterday and came runner up in the doubles :)

Flexpave then fake grass.

Personally i prefer double handed backhand to single, what about yourselves ?[/quote']

Eww Babolat :P

Double handed. I get a fair bit of topsin with it still and a bit of power. I need to work on getting a little flaw in my technique though. Sometimes when I'm going cross court, my feet twist a bit and I hook it a bit :o

Congrats on the tournaments :D

Guest Scout Maker

Murray won the Rodgers Cup in Canada, beating Nadal in the Semi's and Federer in the final.

He's now losing in the 3rd round of the US open.

Murray won the Rodgers Cup in Canada' date=' beating Nadal in the Semi's and Federer in the final.

He's now losing in the 3rd round of the US open.[/quote']

It's not the US Open this week, it's one of the masters events.

Guest Scout Maker

It's not the US Open this week' date=' it's one of the masters events.[/quote']

Typo :o:P

Typo :o:P

It was as much for my sanity as everyone else, I thought I'd managed to miss half the first week of the US for a second.

Edit: Good to see him dig in and win though, would have been easy to roll over given his workload recently.

Guest Scout Maker

It was as much for my sanity as everyone else' date=' I thought I'd managed to miss half the first week of the US for a second.

Edit: Good to see him dig in and win though, would have been easy to roll over given his workload recently.[/quote']

Good to see Murray win :)

So what's the Masters? A like warm up tournament for the Open?

Oz Open gets underway tomorrow, best tournament of the year for mine. Can't wait should be two quality weeks of Tennis as always. Question marks over Nadal's fitness and imo that's the only thing preventing him from winning the 'Rafa Slam'. It's tough to see anyone beating him over five sets considering just how good he's been these past 6-12 months.

Hewitt to do Australia proud!! HUGE first round match against Nalbandian, those two sure do have plenty of history. Should be a great match, good luck Lleyton.