Sign in to follow this  
JakeMCFC

The Official Tennis Thread

Re: Official Tennis Thread

Anyone watch Nadal today? On this evidence he is looking good to make history! oh and a terrific game yesterday although I never thought Simon could win even when he won the 4th

I saw Nadal but he hasn't exactly played a top quality opponent yet. I think Sweeting is top 50 potential though. His ground strokes looked really, really good. His serve was shocking for a big bloke and when he gets that going, it should be interesting to see what happens with him.

Tomic got a good win and plays Nadal next. I'm a huge fan of Tomic but I don't think he stands a chance against Nadal. Tomic hasn't got the mobility yet. I can't wait to see him in a few years time though.

Also the Canadian and Litunian, whose names escape me at the moment, seem very promising.

Does Federer struggle against left handers? Simon shouldn't be able to hurt Federer. He hasn't got a big weapon.

I saw Nadal but he hasn't exactly played a top quality opponent yet. I think Sweeting is top 50 potential though. His ground strokes looked really' date=' really good. His serve was shocking for a big bloke and when he gets that going, it should be interesting to see what happens with him.

Tomic got a good win and plays Nadal next. I'm a huge fan of Tomic but I don't think he stands a chance against Nadal. Tomic hasn't got the mobility yet. I can't wait to see him in a few years time though.

Also the Canadian and Litunian, whose names escape me at the moment, seem very promising.

Does Federer struggle against left handers? Simon shouldn't be able to hurt Federer. He hasn't got a big weapon.[/quote']

yeah Sweeting looked good but the problem with Nadal is you have to work so bloody hard to even get a point! I saw a little bit of the Tomic game and was fairly impressed I must say. He has got power and that's one thing that has troubled Nadal in the past especially on hard courts (not so much recently). Del Potro knocked out. Dissapointed but he'll bounce back. Before he got injured I would've put him up as the 4rd best player out there atm.

On Simon well your right but that was Federer's first win over Simon so theres something that troubles him obviously.

Roddick through in 4 today. Theres a part of me that wants Roddick to win one more grand slam in his career. Top Bloke

Pat Cash is ace!

yeah Sweeting looked good but the problem with Nadal is you have to work so bloody hard to even get a point! I saw a little bit of the Tomic game and was fairly impressed I must say. He has got power and that's one thing that has troubled Nadal in the past especially on hard courts (not so much recently). Del Potro knocked out. Dissapointed but he'll bounce back. Before he got injured I would've put him up as the 4rd best player out there atm.

On Simon well your right but that was Federer's first win over Simon so theres something that troubles him obviously.

Roddick through in 4 today. Theres a part of me that wants Roddick to win one more grand slam in his career. Top Bloke

Pat Cash is ace!

Tomic doesn't have lots of power. He hits the ball very flat and has a good backhand slice. He makes his opponent frustrated. It will be interesting to see how successful he is when players work him out.

That's why I am wondering whether it is a problem against lefthanders. Credit to Simon though, he played very well.

I love Roddick. He's got such good character and he's worked so hard. I wouldn't mind him winning either :D

Nadal knocked out in straight sets:( Tweaked a muscle very early in the first set and dont even know why he continued on. Never looked like he could win. Wouldn't surprise me if Murray won it now. If he dosen't win it now he'll never win it. He had the likes of Soderling, Del Potro and Nadal in his draw and he could reach the finals without playing any of them now

Nadal knocked out in straight sets:( Tweaked a muscle very early in the first set and dont even know why he continued on. Never looked like he could win. Wouldn't surprise me if Murray won it now. If he dosen't win it now he'll never win it. He had the likes of Soderling' date=' Del Potro and Nadal in his draw and he could reach the finals without playing any of them now[/quote']

The winner of the Fed/ Djokovic match will be favourite though. I fancy Djokovic to take it.

My two tips from the start are in there. Zevroneva and Djokovic :)

Guest Leddy

The winner of the Fed/ Djokovic match will be favourite though. I fancy Djokovic to take it.

I believe Feder could easily win it man.

*Zvonareva

Nenin has retired for the second time due to her troublesome elbow. It's a shame she couldn't win Wimbledon.

*Henin

And come on Wozniacki :D

Guest Leddy

I was typing quickly on the second one. Stupid Russian name' date=' near impossible to spell lol

Yeah Wozza will lose to Li Na ;)[/quote']

I feel Wozza will beat Li Na

I feel Wozza will beat Li Na

If you look at their two styles, Li Na has the better game. Wozniacki works hard on defense and gets the ball back while Li Na has all the attacking shots. She won Sydney by beating Cljisters so is in sensational form.

I want Wozza to win but I doubt it will happen. Wozza needs to improve because she doesn't have a good attacking weapon.

Guest Leddy

If you look at their two styles' date=' Li Na has the better game. Wozniacki works hard on defense and gets the ball back while Li Na has all the attacking shots. She won Sydney by beating Cljisters so is in sensational form.

I want Wozza to win but I doubt it will happen. Wozza needs to improve because she doesn't have a good attacking weapon.[/quote']

Oh there Girls, I love Tennis but I was just messing with you and said I hope Wozza beats Li Na

This is Murray's best chance to win a Grand Slam now. I get the feeling that if he can't win this one now, he won't win one ever. Federer may be on the decline but he'll still be at the top and winning Grand Slams for another couple of years yet. Del Potro will be fit again soon, the likes of Berdych and Soderling are ever improving.

On technical ability, Murray is the best player of the three left in the tournament. Mentally, he is the weakest. That's what could (probably will) let him down.

Either way, will be nice to see someone other than Federer and Nadal win the Australian Open. Only once in the last 3 years (12 Grand Slams) has someone other than those two won a Grand Slam (that being Del Potro in 2009). Now both have fallen before the Final.

I just fear that Murray might struggle, lose a set, and then get frustrated and drop his head. Too often this happens in the Grand Slams. Federer 2008, Verdasco 2009, Roddick 2009, Cilic 2009, Federer 2010, Wawrinka 2010. When things start going against him he really seems to struggle to find his form again and ends up letting the frustration ruin his game.

Where Murray is concerned, the first set is crucial. If he can get control of the match tomorrow, he should have few problems beating Ferrer. It was comfortable back in London last November with much less pressure riding on it. As for Djokovic, these two have somehow ALWAYS been on opposite sides of the draw. Of course most of the time they were 3 and 4, but even when Murray was 2, Djokovic was 2 and Murray was/is 5, they still always manage to avoid each other. And when one of them makes the final, the other doesn't. Will they finally get to meet in a Grand Slam? Murray has had the better of Djokovic when they have met in the past (since 2008 anyway, before that Murray was nowhere near the player he is now).

Was hoping Wozniacki would win tbh. She is different from most of the 'hit the ball as hard as you can' players in Womens tennis these days. Don't really care now who wins in the Womens draw.

Didn't see the Djokovic match but from all accounts he played really well, so hoping he can win his 2nd grand slam ahead of Ferrer/Murray.

Was hoping Wozniacki would win tbh. She is different from most of the 'hit the ball as hard as you can' players in Womens tennis these days. Don't really care now who wins in the Womens draw.

Didn't see the Djokovic match but from all accounts he played really well' date=' so hoping he can win his 2nd grand slam ahead of Ferrer/Murray.[/quote']

She might be different but I don't think she's good enough for Grand Slams. She needs a shot that can hurt the other player.

Interesting thing about the Djokovic/Federer match, they won about the same number of points.

This is Murray's best chance to win a Grand Slam now. I get the feeling that if he can't win this one now' date=' he won't win one ever. Federer may be on the decline but he'll still be at the top and winning Grand Slams for another couple of years yet. Del Potro will be fit again soon, the likes of Berdych and Soderling are ever improving.

On technical ability, Murray is the best player of the three left in the tournament. Mentally, he is the weakest. That's what could (probably will) let him down.

Either way, will be nice to see someone other than Federer and Nadal win the Australian Open. Only once in the last 3 years (12 Grand Slams) has someone other than those two won a Grand Slam (that being Del Potro in 2009). Now both have fallen before the Final.

I just fear that Murray might struggle, lose a set, and then get frustrated and drop his head. Too often this happens in the Grand Slams. Federer 2008, Verdasco 2009, Roddick 2009, Cilic 2009, Federer 2010, Wawrinka 2010. When things start going against him he really seems to struggle to find his form again and ends up letting the frustration ruin his game.

Where Murray is concerned, the first set is crucial. If he can get control of the match tomorrow, he should have few problems beating Ferrer. It was comfortable back in London last November with much less pressure riding on it. As for Djokovic, these two have somehow ALWAYS been on opposite sides of the draw. Of course most of the time they were 3 and 4, but even when Murray was 2, Djokovic was 2 and Murray was/is 5, they still always manage to avoid each other. And when one of them makes the final, the other doesn't. Will they finally get to meet in a Grand Slam? Murray has had the better of Djokovic when they have met in the past (since 2008 anyway, before that Murray was nowhere near the player he is now).[/quote']

Spot on mate! couldnt of said it better myself :)

Here we go again...

See what I mean about weaker mentally. Goes 4-3 (break) up, first serve starts to disappear, broken back. Goes 15-40 up, perhaps unlucky not to get the break, then at 5-4 down the first serve just completely disappears and Murray bulks.

Now a set down, I think Ferrer will win this in 3 or 4.

Same old, same old from Murray. Pressure environment, two break points squandered, collapses. Second set, looks despondent, letting the frustration get the better of him, first serve has disappeared almost completely, second serve is very, very weak. Unforced errors count very high compared to usual. All signs of a player that is weak mentally.

Not to say that this is all about Murray. Ferrer is playing very well. But you look at the likes of Nadal and Federer, even Djokovic or Del Potro - when they are under pressure they bring out some of their best tennis. Murray does the opposite. That is the difference between a Grand Slam winner and someone who hasn't won one. That is why Murray will probably never win won. When under presure, his head just drops.