Rotherham United; The Division 4 challenge | English Championship 2231

After a long break from match reporting, I have decided to return and report on the Club I am on most, Rotherham United!

This is just a nearly End of Season review, will go back to old layouts on Sunday when I fully report the next 2 matches! Please enjoy reading, and comments are welcome!

67_1192814962.gif

Rotherham Review

Welcome to the first issue of the Rotherham Review, where weekly reports will be endorsed from the heart of the Don Valley, Sheffield.

Since Tom Sinar took over the reigns of Rotherham back in October 2008, and immediately transformed the club from a financial troubled club to a well financed club with players who shall turn out to be rising stars in the future. Tom Sinar arrived in the division with good friend Joe Charley, who is still managing Bradford City, and has already won them the Division 4 title. As for Rotherham you ask? in Sinar’s first season, he led Rotherham to just 2 points off 2nd place and managed to reach the Playoff Finals against Huddersfield. Sinar’s men fought well, but it was just not their day as they lost 4-2 on penalties. Sinar took a vow in his first interview with Sky Sports News, that he will revamp the Millers and get them promoted in the 2nd season. How right his words were, now, Rotherham are 26 points clear with just 3 games to go, they were crowned the League Champions on the 11th July 2009. This review will explain all the happenings this season and will travel across all the ups and downs of the season!

March

March was a very good start for Rotherham, 2 wins and a draw signalled a top of the table start for Sinar's side, scoring 12 goals, conceding just 3. Among the results was a 4-1 win over Brentford away, 6-0 demolition of Darlington infront of the home fans, and a classic 2-2 draw against Leyton Orient at home.

Rotherham also won a friendly v Bradford City, a 3-1 win in a very entertaining game.

march.jpg

Key Player: Moussa Maazou, the striker scored 4 goals in his first 3 games, on loan from Bradford City.

April

April was a match packed month for Rotherham, 14 games in all competitions including 3 friendlies v Bradford City, 2 games ending in defeat, 2 cup games, where the Millers cup run ended in just the 2nd round. Rotherham encountered 9 league games, which recorded 5 wins including a thrilling 5-3 win against Lincoln City, 2 draws which were both no score-draws. Rotherham suffered two defeats, including a close 3-2 victory for Shrewsbury Town.

april.jpg

Key Player: Angel Dí Maria, the winger scored 6 goals in the league, including 2 MoM performances.

May

The 3rd month of the season was May, where Rotherham’s fantastic undefeated run carried on to 10 straight games in May, where a total of 8 wins and 1 no-score draw totaled Rotherham off with 25 points, boosting their chance to win the title. A total of 23 goals were scored, including 3 matches where 4 goals were scored in a row. Rotherham’s defence was questioned in some matches.

may.jpg

Key Player: Anthony Mounier, the on-loan winger made a fantastic start for his new club, scoring a vital 4 goals, including a hattrick in a 3-0 win over Bournemouth.

June

June was a sign of good things for Rotherham, extending their unbeaten run a further 4 games into the month, totaling a record 20 unbeaten matches in all competitions from 8th April 2009 to the 13th June 2009. A total of 27 goals were scored, including a wonder 8-1 win over Gillingham. Rotherham United’s unbeaten run was demolished when they lost 1-0 to Lincoln City.

june.jpg

Key Player: Mario Balotelli made a fantastic start for Rotherham, hitting 6 goals before being unluckily injured for 6 days.

July

July has so far been a month of wonders for Rotherham, 24 goals scored, with 3 matches to go and all 6 matches have been won, which also confirmed Rotherham’s promotion to Division 3, and then soon after, the title went to Don Valley.

july.jpg

Key Player: Marko Arnautovic has hit 6 goals so far, including 2 MoM peformances and creating a formidable partnership with Mario Balotelli.

League Table

Rotherham United have been 1st since April, and now have a 26 point gap against Shorpe United and 28 points clear of 3rd place Shrewsbury Town.

leaguetable-3.jpg

Squad

Rotherham United's squad has a total of 24 players, only one player on loan which is top scorer Marko Arnautovic. Rotherham have revamped their squad twice during the season, buying players who are under 21 years of old, which what Sinar has done since his managerial reign began back in October. Risers were bought and now Sinar has a very young squad for the future.

squad-1.jpg

Latest from Don Valley

• Rotherham are expected to claim the services of Portugese goalkeeper Rui Patricio in the summer. (The Sun)
  • Rotherham are set to only be after at least 5 transfer targets, expecting at least 2 new strikers to come in. (Sources)
  • English giants Chelsea are interested in the services of hitman Mario Balotelli, it is though a fee in the region of about £20million was rejected. (Daily Mail)
  • Rotherham manager Tom Sinar has reported that he has rejected the chance to manage a big four club in the past. (News of the World)
  • Rotherham chairman Tony Stewart says he dreams of Rotherham United being in Division 1 within 5 seasons. (Press Conference)

Player of the Season

After careful deliberation, the Player of the Season went down to 3 candidates overall. Kwadwo Asamoah, Marko Arnautovic and Alfred N'Diaye.

Sinar decided that on-loan star Marko Arnautovic got the award after his goals, assists and performances overall have helped Rotherham where they are now. Sinar said, "Marko has been phenomenal this season, his been on loan from Aston Villa this season, it took some time for him to settle, but when he did he finally got there, he has been exciting to watch".

When asked if Arnautovic was going to be bought next season by Rotherham permanently or on loan again, Sinar responded "We have already enquired about possibly buying him on a permanent basis, thought to be about £8million. We could definitely have him on loan, where we would like him to fire in the goals for us next season to get us promoted again".

Arnautovic was delighted when he learnt he won the Player of the Season in his first full season with Rotherham. "I am happy with the form I have been on, I am glad I've been picked amongst other strikers this season to play and I must repay, every time I'm on the pitch, I want to score and I'm glad I have this season. I would like to remain with Rotherham, but unless I am featured in the Aston Villa managers plans next season, who knows?" said an ecstatic Arnautovic.

Arnautovic has played 21 times this season, 19 starts and 2 sub appearances have led to 17 goals, 18 assists and 9 MoM performances.

Arnautovic.jpg

Chairman Roundup

In an Sky Sports News exclusive interview with Rotherham United chairman Tony Stewart, he gives the lowdown of the future, squad revamps and transfer sprees.

What do you expect for the future?

I hope in about 5 seasons time, that we are in Division 1 or in the ranks of succeeding to get promoted to Division 1. I hope our squad will continue to improve with experience and youth coming through the ranks. I hope to see our manager remain with us mainly though. But with youth quality comes money, so hopefully I don't get bloody bankrupt!

What do you think of continuous squad revamps?

I don't mind, as long as we stick to our guns and win matches, we've had a few since October, which have worked very well, so lets just hope it will have the same effect as the others.

The Club have spent loads of money on players, are you worried this could result in bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy has happened to us twice, both for a long period, totalling to about £3m in debt, but I then gave an ultimatum to Sinar to stop spending and sort our finances around and he did. He sold the squad basically, for more money than he paid for because they all became better players. He buys bargains now and waits for them to have a rating increase before either selling them on for more cash, or part exchanging them for better players.

_44868259_tonystrewart203.jpg

(Stewart giving his verdict on the Clubs happenings)

Manager Interview

Next up is an interview with manager Tom Sinar.

So far you've had a successful stint at Rotherham United, do you think this run of good fortunes will continue?

Of course, you have to think confident, otherwise you'll just plummet. We had bad luck not getting promoted last season, but this season has definitely gone our way in the League, we've had a great season.

What are your expectations for next season?

I know it is very ambitious, but I hope that we are challenging for promotion. It is a step up yes, but we have the quality to last in Division 3, so it is just a matter of time really.

What are your plans transfer wise?

You will have to see, I hope to bring in a couple of strikers and cover for our centre-backs, where we have been plagued by injuried alot of the time, we are set for a while, but I will soon offload the non-starters and cash in on a nice profit.

Interview with Rotherham's captain

Mikel Balenziaga is leading the line for promotion in his 2nd stint at the club, Sinar bought him back last month and made him skipper for the all important final part of the season.

Are you pleased to be back?

Yes I am, I was upset when I left Rotherham, but it was for the best, but I am pleased to be back anyway. I love being here.

You were picked as captain in your 2nd stint, what does that mean to you?

It meant alot to me, to represent a club by being a skipper for them is one thing, but for the club I love is another. It feels great leading out the team out of the tunnel, looking around and seeing fans applaud you. It wasn't too bad lifting the trophy as well!

What are your plans for the future?

I hope to stay here, I'm on good form recently and would love to be here next season. Division 3 will be tough, but I reckon I'll be able to keep playing the same form I'm in.

That concludes the nearly End of Season Review, thanks for reading and find out what happens on the weekend how we do in the next 2 games!

B)

Re: Rotherham United; The Division 4 challenge | English Championship 2231

67_1192814962.gif

Rotherham Review

Welcome to the 2nd issue of Rotherham Review, where this report will go over this weeks 2 games and match interviews with the manager Tom Sinar. The penultimate game is also featured. One game is only left in the season now.

AFC Bournemouth 1-7 Rotherham United

Date: Wednesday 22nd July 2009 (8pm K/O)

Match Official: Costas Kapitanis flags_of_Cyprus.gif

Rotherham made just one change to the lineup tonight, Miguel Vitor returning from a 3 match suspension to replace Matias Martinez.

Rotherham (3-5-2):

Staw

Azpilicueta

Balenziaga ©

Miguel Vitor

Rodwell

Asamoah

De Federico

Wijnaldum

Arnautovic

Balotelli

Ayew

Kelava

Schennikov

N'Diaye

Michel

Kokorin

matchlineup.jpg

First Half:

Rotherham started excellently in the match, record signing Mario Balotelli nearly made a chance to score, but immediately fluffed his chance in the 2nd minute. A bit of continued pressure from the Millers allowed winger André Ayew to hit a curling shot, only eventually to hit the post. Rotherham continued the fantastic attack, taking two defenders and Bournemouth keeper Shwan Jalal to shut out an excellent shot from top scorer Marko Arnautovic. Balotelli continued Rotherham's fantastic attack on 13 minutes but unfortunately hit the bar. But then just 5 minutes later, a through ball allowed Balotelli to slot home his 11th goal of the season. But things weren't obviously meant to be as Bournemouth replied just a minute later, Lee Bradbury (:D) curled a shot past the Norwegian keeper Lasse Staw. It took just 6 minutes to get back in the lead though, Jack Rodwell slotted home his first goal for Rotherham United. Continued attacking mentality from Rotherham continued as Balotelli headed his 2nd goal of the match on the break of half time.

Half Time: Bournemouth 1-3 Rotherham United

Second Half:

Praising words from Sinar at half-time seemed to have added a more attacking mentality to Rotherham United, André Ayew capitalising for a defence mix-up and slotted past the approaching keeper to make it 4-1 on 49 minutes. Just 5 minutes later Jalal came to Bournemouth's rescue again, saving a shot after a napping defence felt the wrath of an awesome attacking move. But he couldn't save them out of this goal, André Ayew ran a solo effort and lobbed the ball over the advancing keeper, Ayew's 2nd goal of the game. Bournemouth's woes were added again after another dreadful mistake from the defence allowed Balotelli to sweep through and claim his first hattrick for the club. Things turned from just dreadful to even worse as Rodwell was left with time and space, so the young defensive-midfielder smashed a ball from outside the area, allowing Rotherham's 7th goal, and Rodwell's 2nd goal of the match.

s_44mario.jpg

(Balotelli done well to score 3 goals)

Full Time: AFC Bournemouth 1-7 Rotherham United

Attendance: 6,859

Scorers: Bradbury (Bournemouth). Balotelli (3), Rodwell (2) and Ayew (2) (Rotherham)

MoM: Mario Balotelli (Rotherham)

Stats

Rotherham dominated the match with 68% possession with a total of 25 shots on goal.

stats-2.jpg

Managers Comments (Tom Sinar): Tonight just showed we're a very attacking minded club who can create chances in the blink of an eye. We done good to put the chances we created home, and it's nice to walk away with 3 points and a very dominating scoreline. I'm pleased for the scorers tonight, bagging 2 or more each, a fantastic performance from everyone!

Rotherham United 2-2 Brighton and Hove Albion

Date: Saturday 25th July 2009 (8pm K/O)

Match Official: Mauricio Reinoso Fabara flags_of_Ecuador.gif

An unchanged lineup from Rotherham's 7-1 win started tonight.

Rotherham (3-5-2):

Staw

Azpilicueta

Balenziaga ©

Miguel Vitor

Rodwell

Asamoah

De Federico

Wijnaldum

Arnautovic

Balotelli

Ayew

Kelava

Schennikov

N'Diaye

Michel

Kokorin

matchlineup.jpg

First Half:

As Rotherham kicked off the match, good passing from Mario Balotelli and the midfield earned many plaudits from the fans. But it was Brighton who had the better start, Lasse Staw doing well to deny shots from Joe Gatting and Kevin Thornton to give the visitors the lead. But they did get the lead on 13 minutes, a cross from the left enabled a powerful header from Joe Gatting to give first blood to the away team. Rotherham fought back well with numerous chances, including good pass and moves from Rodwell which led to Ayew hitting the post in successive games. After careful domination, a shock move from Bournemouth allowed Glenn Murray to hit home Brighton's 2nd goal, a shot off the post that cannoned in. Continued attack from Brighton was brought to an end, for the relief of Rotherham, the half time whistle sounded out, being drowned out by boos around the stadium.

Half Time: Rotherham United 0-2 Brighton

Second Half:

Rotherham came out with a very different look, Sinar obviously hyping them up for a miraculous comeback. But it took 15 minutes to start a comeback, Mario Balotelli rising above defenders for his 14th goal of the season. Rotherham continued to dominate and dominate but a strong and resilient Brighton defence denied Rotherham the chances they often create. But they soon collapsed, allowing captain Mikel Balenziaga to get his 1st goal in his 2nd stint for Rotherham. Rotherham then continued to battle but terrific goalkeeping from veteran Michel Kuipers denied Rotherham their 3rd goal. The final whistle was approaching, and Staw was kept busy, making saves from goalscorer Joe Gatting and midfielder Kevin Thornton.

Full Time: Rotherham United 2-2 Brighton and Hove Albion

Attendance: 19,487

Scorers: Gatting and Murray (Brighton). Balotelli and Balenziaga (Rotherham)

MoM: Mario Balotelli (Rotherham)

Stats

Rotherham shared possession with 50%, getting a total of 16 shots on goal.

stats2.jpg

Managers Comments (Tom Sinar): A very odd display from us tonight, we're normally better than that. But fair play to Brighton, they done well and gave us a run for our money and we done well to make a comeback, especially after we had a very tough game. A point is better than none, so I'm satisfied with tonight.

League Table

Rotherham's draw with Brighton means their fantastic lead has been reduced to 24 points over Shorpe United, who are yet to be confirmed promoted.

leaguetable-4.jpg

That's the end of the matches, tune back next week, where Rotherham play their final game of the season, and finally lift the Division 4 Trophy.

B)

• 1 month later...