Ben Wright. English Goldenboy..

Monty

Disclaimer: Searched and couldnt find anything on him, i sincerely apologise if there is.

Ben Wright

0,,10427~5297235,00.jpg

Date of Birth: 10.08.1988

Nationality: English

Height:

Right Footed.

Position: Striker

Club: Peterborough

Squad No.27

SM Rating: 64

Next Rating Changes: 74/75

Starting Out:

Having progressed through Basingstoke Towns' youth academy, which isnt exactly known for its academy products :P, Ben's promising career got an early launch after wowing coaches at Basingstoke's academy. But before that he featured for local sides Chineham Tigers, Basingstoke Town Colts, Hawkfield and Hatch Warren before being drafted into Basingstoke's academy and soon, their 1st team.

1st team? Why, yes please!

In 2005, at the tender age of 16, Ben made his 1st team debut for Basingstoke and impressed fans with glimpses of his technical ability. During his time in the 1st team, Ben played 27 times; scoring 3 goals. He also enjoyed 2 loan spells in his 2 years at Basing. They are as followed:

Winchester City:

This loan spell came in 2006, at just 17 years of age.

Although his stats whilst on loan there are somewhat of a mystery, i apologise for not being able to find something; i will update this if i do.

Andover:

In 2007 Ben was again sent on loan, this time to Southern League Div.1 side Andover F.C. It is here that Ben really showed his true potential. He put in some quality performances and came away from Andover with 7 goals in 13 appearances for the 1st team. Not that impressive considering the team you may be thinking? Well, actually it is impressive; its not often a 17 year old can show the strength and determination as Ben did against opponents much older than himself!

A Controversal Exit

In Autumn of 2007, Ben was controversly released from Basingstoke. After reading more about the reasons as to why this happened, it turns out the manager at the time, Francis Vines, didnt like Bens attitude in playing a new role. It seems he wanted Ben to play as target man, instead of the free-roaming, tricky striker he is. So he was shown the exit and was forced to join a club of lower stature. This is an interview given shortly after his exit:

“Ability wise, I was 100 per cent good enough at Basingstoke but Francis Vines wanted me to be a target man,” Wright said. “I wasn’t going to win headers against big, experienced centre backs at 17.”

Carshalton Athletic 2007/08 Season

Although he only endured a short time at Carshalton, he endured moderate success at the Isthmian Premier League club. Making no less than 15 appearances, Ben returned to his tricky ways; skillfully moving past defenders nearly twice his age! In his time there he scored 2 goals, not exactly a 'Thierry Henry-esque' goal ratio but his performances were solid and they earned him yet another move.

The Return To Andover; 2008

After a highly successful loan spell a year before, still a teenager, Ben re-joined Andover; albeit for a short time. Again, though he enjoyed a great time here, producing the kind of form that dazzled coaches at youth level. He made six appearances in a very short stay, but still grabbed 3 goals.

Fleet Town 2008-Continued

Another impossily short stay saw Ben turn out for Isthmian League Div.1 side Fleet town for no less than seven games. Although in this time he managed 3 goals for the semi-professional side. His performances sparked interest from higher teams and Ben became an intrigueing prospect to other non-league clubs. A ridiculously short stay, i know, but this gives him credit for his performances and it shows his good mentality. Only a strong minded person could float around clubs that often and still produce the quality of football that is expected of him.

Another Move - Hampton & Richmond 2008/09 Season:

Ben made it one step closer to his dream of league football after signing for Blue Square South side Hampton & Richmond last summer. This was a big step up for the young striker, but one that he proved he could handle and he repayed the Hampton manager, Alan Devonshire, for having faith in him and giving him his 1st full season. And boy did Ben repay him well! He made 27 appearances for the 1st team, grabbing himself 13 goals; a goal ratio of 1 goal every other game! That impressive record came in just 18 starts and 9 sub appearances. Thanks to Ben's prolific striking, Hampton finished 2nd in Blue Square South, thus winning them promotion. It was then that he gained the attention of 'big clubs'.

?type=display

Goal-ace Ben in action for Hampton.

Interest Is High

After his terrific season for Hampton, Ben was on the wanted list of many higher-profiled clubs. The reportedly interested clubs were; Premier League side Fulham, Championship Aces Reading and League 1 highflyers Millwall and Peterborough. The fee that Hampton were commanding for Ben was thought to be a record amount, beating ex-Hampton man Leroy Griffiths' transfer for 40,000 to QPR back in 2001.

Completes Transer to Fulham.. Or Does He..

In January this year, Ben had seemingly completed his transfer to Premier League side Fulham; until mysteriously they dropped out. Everybody believed the transfer to have been completed, and it was even reported on Sky Sports News that he deal was done:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4851844,00.html

But just after he completed a medical and was due to sign a contract, Fulham dropped out of the transfer; for reasons unknown even to this day. Ben said this in an interview about the matter:

“It was a bit of a mystery, I was absolutely gutted when I heard about Fulham.

Why, Hello There Fergie..

After the fiasco of the Fulham deal, League 1 highflyers (at the time) Peterborough swooped in to sign Ben just half-an-hour after the Premier Leage team withdrew their offer. After completing the deal, Ben was pleased to see a familiar face at his new club, former Basingstoke midfielder Sergio Torres. Although never playing a 1st team game with Sergio at Basing. he did play against, and alongside him in training and reserves matches an built up a strong friendship with the midfield maestro; who welcomed him to the club with a hug. Sergio has since let Ben share accomodations with him as he comes to terms with his new life in Peterborough.

Kettering, Loan Deal; Remainder of 2008/09 Season

Despite making his 'Borough debut in February, coming on as an 86th minute sub against Southend, and narrowly missing out on a place on the bench against Brighton after the game was called off; Ben was sent on loan for the remainder of last season. Kettering was the destination. He joined new team-mate Alfie Potter. During his time there, he managed 11 appearances for the 1st team, scoring 3 goals. Although 3 goals sounds quite an insignificant amount, Ben's overall play was impressive and his performances were solid.

What the 2009/10 Season Holds

After finishing up his loan-spell, Ben was re-assured that next season he will be used regularly in the 'Borough 1st team as they prepare for life in the Championship. And team-mate Aaron Mclean admitted that he was impressed with Ben's performance:

"Wright's a totally different player to myself and Craig. Technically, he's one of the best at the club.

"As he settles in fans will start to see what a good player he can be."

This is high praise indeed from established 1st teamer and prolific marksmen Mclean.

Ben Aims To Improve

He said this in a recent interview:

“My strengths are that I’m a good finisher, have a good touch and am quite skilful but I need to work on my heading, I could also do with scoring more scruffy goals and I need to improve my strength and speed.”

Attributes:

* Technically Gifted.

* Skillfull.

* Prolific.

* Great 1st Touch.

Overview

In his career, he has already amassed over 90 1st team apps, netting 33 times. An impressive tally in such a short career.

I believe he has what it takes to feature regularly for Posh next season, and with forwards Boyd and Mclean (both rated 79) and Mackail-Smith (rated 80) most likely in for a rise in the next changes, due to performances and promotion, Ben could well be in for a rise to 74/75 next time around; which could well go up to 77/78 if he becomes a 1st teamer. Even with less regular appearances, he should still get a rise to around the 71/72 mark. A decent buy for smaller teams. Definately a player for the future, make my words; he'll be in the Prem in a few years.

04mftwLblfM

Skillfull Player:

s8Xa7S7FajU&feature=related

All Comments Appreciated :D