Weakness of 4-4-2??

unmanaged teams always use 442 and when i face them i always go 3-5-2 and nearly always win.having the extra man in midfield usually results in greater possesion thus creating a better platform to win the game.

agree 100% with cally on this. i almost always do the same, 3-5-2 against unmanaged and it has a high win factor, 80% or more. :)

I'd like to thank everyone here... I read this thread then yesterday i was up against QPR. They're top of division 3 after 5 games without losing or conceding a single goal. Their first XI ave rating is 88, mine is 81... I felt sure i was going down, especially since they were the home side. So i tried a 3-5-2, threw on 3 centre backs, a dmf, 2 amf, 2 wingers and 2 strikers and set myself up for a high tempo attacking game... beat them 0-4! I'm still touting Luke Varney as a cracking player, got 2 more for me in that game bringing his personal tally to 8 in 5 games... As it turned out afterwards, the QPR manager switched his 4-4-2 he used in every other game so far for a 4-3-3 which was even better for me i suppose, since i could win the ball fairly easily in midfield and had plenty of players who could attack well with it!

Its interesting that 3-5-2, or 5-3-2 as some call it although your essentially doing the same thing (3 at the back, 5 midfield in some combination, 2 up front), has been pretty much abandoned in modern English football. Indeed it was this very formation that Steve McLaren got so much stick for trying again last month with the National team.

BUT, in SM terms, this is the 4-4-2 Killer tactic and in one of my setups, I have formed a very successful Middlesbrough team around its use (normal and Cup games both 5-3-2) resulting in 3 successive promotions in 3 seasons, a couple of Cup titles and currently running 4th in Division 1 against the cream of Europe with player averages FAR above mine.

You need a strong DM playing in front of your back 3, and I'd recommend a RM and LM instead of wingers out wide, with 2 stronger CM's (guys like Traverso, Rochemback, Lantz, Tugay and Matuidi all do well here) playing just behind the 2 guys up front, and just in front of your middle 3.

Great tactic.

jon

this had better work lol

Fair enough - I wouldn't want to recommend this half-hearted. Here's a winning Boro setup for my current squad using 5-3-2:

Schwarzer (of course)

Ibarra/Gioda/Fernandez --- Gioda/Berezutsky ----- Mellberg/Quedrue/Marcelo

Mendieta/ --- Boateng/Djordevic --- Junior/Richardson/Djordevic

Govou/

Carriere/Traverso

Govou/Carriere/Traverso --- Tugay/Lantz/Rochembach

Larsson/Calderon/Higuain ---- Ailton/Solskjaer/Larsson/Viduka

cheers

jon

Yes of course, but I'm not saying that this tactic will win all games and all situations. Simply saying that not only can you wipe out unmanaged teams with it (automatic 4-4-2), but that it also takes care of the majority of other teams trying 4-4-3, 3-4-2-1 etc where your midfield bosses there's.

Won't win everything, but I've done bloody well with a team average well below 90, against teams like Barca who are up around 95+ average.

try it..

Yes of course' date=' but I'm not saying that this tactic will win all games and all situations. Simply saying that not only can you wipe out unmanaged teams with it (automatic 4-4-2), but that it also takes care of the majority of other teams trying 4-4-3, 3-4-2-1 etc where your midfield bosses there's.

Won't win everything, but I've done bloody well with a team average well below 90, against teams like Barca who are up around 95+ average.

try it..[/quote']

I might've stumbled onto this by luck I think - my Walsall team in Division 4 is currently top of the table by 8 points and I've won 8 straight league games since adopting a 3-5-2. I only used the formation to accommodate the players I had, but given that most of the teams in the division are unmanaged it might explain why I'm doing so well (my squad average is very high as well, though).