ef60205a63.jpg

Hajrovic in action for Switzerland U17s against Sweden U17s

Full Name: Sead Ninvalla Hajrovic

Date Of Birth: 4th June 1993 (16)

Nationality: Swiss/Bosnian

Club: Arsenal

Position: Centre Back

Squad Number: 74

Honours: 3rd Place European U17 Championships (joint)

SM Rating: Not On DB

Predicted SM Rating: 70

Potential SM Rating: 92

In the Summer of 2002, Arsene Wenger made a coup in bringing 2 young Swiss defenders in from their native country. Those young defenders were Johan Djourou and Philippe Senderos, and having both gone on to play European Football with Arsenal and Arsenal/AC Milan respectively, it can safely be said that the two signings were a success, both for Arsenal and football in general.

Arsene Wenger has gone on to repeat that feat by signing another young Swiss defensive duo, this time in Centre Backs Martin Angha and Sead Hajrovic from fierce domestic rivals FC Zürich and Grasshoppers respectively.

Whereas Angha is a quick and illusive defender, eager to surge forward, Hajrovic is the complete opposite, a hulking presence at the back who provides a rugged and aggressive approach. It's safe to say that he's a physical and no-nonsense who is an absolute monster in the air, well he should be at 6'1 at the age of 16 (and only just, being born in June of 1993).

His obvious abilities were first noticed by former Grasshopper manager Hanspeter Latour in 2007, when Hajrovic aged just 13 was starting for their U16s in the League, and by the end of the year the 14 year old CB was training alongside the first team, emulating his hero Patrick Muller who was playing regularly for Servette's 1sts when he was just 17.

By the end of the 2007/2008 Swiss season, Hajrovic was the vice captain of Grasshopper's youth team, behind Nassim Ben Khalifa, a full year ahead of him, and was attracting attention from a few European clubs, namely Monaco, AC Milan and Fiorentina (who had a paltry €50,000 bid rejected). It was his form for Grasshopper's youth that inspired U17s coach Yves Debonnaire to include him in his preliminary squad to travel to Germany for the Elite Round, in which he would have played a major role, and (along with Kofi Nimeley and Janick Kamber) would have proved to be a cog that kept the well oiled Swiss machine turning, but fate was cruel and repeating what had allowed him to participate in the group stages, he was injured, allowing Frédéric Veseli to re-establish himself in the squad for the most important round.

Having been selected for Switzerland, many suspected that the boy was playing for Switzerland, only to boost his prospects of playing for his homeland Bosnia (both his parents are Bosnian), a la Rakitic. Unfortunately this was true, and Hajrovic was publicly slated for acting 'as a mercenary' according to one top Swiss sports publication, but all was forgotten after the Swiss's highly impressive group stage performance, in which Hajrovic starred, making 2 out of 3 available starts, finishing both of the matches and ending up with 2 assists, surprising from a player who spends 90% of his time in his own defensive third.

Particularly evident in the Swiss U17s thrashing of Slovenia (in which Ben Khalifa scored a hattrick and Hajrovic bagged 2 assists) was Hajrovic's dedication to the cause, everyone knew that he would 'betray' the shirt, yet he fought so hard and put so much effort into his performances that the dark cloud over his head vanished and the Swiss media (who focused heavily on their budding U17s throughout the course of the tournament as if it was the World Cup) promptly forgot that they had slandered him so openly such a very short space of time previously. All this coming from a boy who wouldn't have made it into the squad unless Frédéric Veseli hadn't been injured only days before the squad was announced.

*Stats*

Swiss U16s:

7 Appearances (1 Sub)

4 Clean Sheets

1 Yellow Card

0 Assists

1 Goal

Swiss U17s:

2 Appearances (0 Subs)

1 Clean Sheet

0 Yellow Cards

2 Assists

0 Goals

Grasshopper

U16s:

19 Appearances (? Subs)

10 Clean Sheets

4 Yellow Cards

? Assists

2 Goals

In May 2009, after rejecting Everton and Manchester United, Sead Hajrovic agreed terms with Arsenal, and a €300,000 (£220,000) move was completed. Sead will train with the first team and the reserves until December 2009 (this is when his Bosnian Passport is expected to come through), when he will be legible to compete in the FA Youth Cup, which Arsenal hope to defend successfully after winning the 08/09 edition.

Arsene Wenger is adamant that he has a gem on his hands, and whether Hajrovic is a flawed Ruby or a Diamond in the Rough remains to be seen, although Arsenal Fan's faith in Le Boss and Wenger's self belief would make me feel that he's uncovered the latter.

Re: Sead Hajrovic - Arsenal's Defensive Destroyer

Excellent report with plenty of interesting facts and good detail. However, I think it's impossible to say what his potential SM rating will be. You said it yourself, the lad's only just turned 16! Have you seen him play or something?

Nevertheless, the early signs are encouraging, but with so many promising youngsters on the books at Arsenal, he could easily fall by the wayside (although it's too early to predict that happening, of course).

Excellent report with plenty of interesting facts and good detail. However' date=' I think it's impossible to say what his potential SM rating will be. You said it yourself, the lad's only just turned 16! Have you seen him play or something?

Nevertheless, the early signs are encouraging, but with so many promising youngsters on the books at Arsenal, he could easily fall by the wayside (although it's too early to predict that happening, of course).[/quote']

Yeah, I've seen him play live (without taping/watching it later) once, against Slovenia's U17s, and he put on a fantastic performance.

He's been given a squad number for the 1sts, Ignasi and Ozyakup don't even have one yet, although that's probably meaningless! :P

Yeah' date=' I've seen him play live (without taping/watching it later) once, against Slovenia's U17s, and he put on a fantastic performance.

He's been given a squad number for the 1sts, Ignasi and Ozyakup don't even have one yet, although that's probably meaningless! :P[/quote']

Ah, that's cool then. I apologise for my scepticism, but I had my doubts whether you had actually seen him play and, when you have a player this young, I think it's essential that you do see him play to get a true idea of how good he looks.

Nice find. :)

Good copying dickhead :mad: !! nice to see you made an effort !! Monty you are such an idiot for voting him for scouter of the month

I copied about 3 lines' date=' in their words from here:

[url']http://youngguns.wordpress.com/2009/07/25/angha-hajrovic-arsenals-latest-swiss-duo/[/url]

* I mentioned when he could play, because I didn't know when he could play for us.

* I mentioned his style from YGs.

* I needed an exact fee for his transfer, I could only find Fiorentina's rejected bid.

Yeah, a long scout that I copied from a 150 word article on Young Guns...

:rolleyes:

Some people think that I don't even try, where these on YoungGuns?

*His stats

*His Grasshoppers/Swiss U17 Appearances

*His Disciplinary Record

*His scuffles with the Swiss media

*The clubs interested in him

*His profile

If you think that I'm goign to blatantly pass off work from a very well known Arsenal site, then you my friend are as thick as they come... B)

Nice to see you copied most of it from 'Young Guns' !!

Again, look at the above post, I took 3 bits of information from Youngguns, which in total takes up 4 and a half lines on my report...

Scepticism duly noted, please don't post on any of my other threads if I decide to write them.

Good copying dickhead :mad: !! nice to see you made an effort !! Monty you are such an idiot for voting him for scouter of the month

What a pr*ck, i don't care if any of its copied, i wouldn't of seen it anywhere else so thanks for sharing it mate, this lad looks quality, maybe a bit better than Senderos is right now ;)

Yeah' date=' I've seen him play live (without taping/watching it later) once, against Slovenia's U17s, and he put on a fantastic performance.

[b']He's been given a squad number for the 1sts[/b], Ignasi and Ozyakup don't even have one yet, although that's probably meaningless! :P

LOL! You mean the #74? And Angha with #70? :P

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...