The Official Valencia C.F. Thread

Tom Erdenay

Re: The Official Valencia C.F. Thread

So it seems all but official now that Isco will be moving to his hometown of Malaga for the 2011/12 season. Strong rumours are that Malaga are ready to pay his measly €6 million release clause. I really don't understand how they're aren't bigger clubs chasing him. He would be ideal for Arsenal should they lose Nasri/Fabregas and at a bargain price also.

I really do not hope this ruins his career, but IMO its a move in the wrong direction. With all the money Malaga now have, if Isco doesn't deliver a few good performances then they will think nothing of replacing him in the team. For me also, I would have started Isco in the Valencia side this season but it appears that isn't likely to happen now.

On the plus side though, Pablo Piatti was unveiled yesterday! Very happy with the signing, people seem to think hes just a replacement for Mata but I wouldn't be too sure of that yet.

puig-8-julio-2011.jpg

puig-8-julio-2011k.jpg

puig-8-julio-2011l.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Canales join Valencia on loan from Real Madrid, looking forward for him to play abit more, he looked some player at Racing but didn't really get his chance at Real, but still another decent signing for Valencia, looking forward to next season only 2 more weeks :D

• 3 weeks later...

Was watching Valencia - Racing earlier and what a game it was. Valencia went 3-1 but some real sloppy defending from them I reckon Raul Albiol would be some signing for them if he does go but anyway with about 6 minutes from the end of the game Soldado scores 2 more goals to complete his hattrick and Valencia win 4-3, Some player he is. A great start to the season :D

Was watching Valencia - Racing earlier and what a game it was. Valencia went 3-1 but some real sloppy defending from them I reckon Raul Albiol would be some signing for them if he does go but anyway with about 6 minutes from the end of the game Soldado scores 2 more goals to complete his hattrick and Valencia win 4-3' date=' Some player he is. A great start to the season :D[/quote']

Agree with you that was quite a game:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been here for a while, but I'm not sleepy and just finished watching the replay off Atletico and Valencia, some might as well do player ratings.

Valencia

Guaita - 7.5

Didn't have that much to do for most of the match, but he made 2 incredible saves and was very solid when catching the balls and coming off his line. Not a single bad thing can be said about his performance.

Jérémy Mathieu - 7.0

Day and night for his performance - absolutely unstoppable both in defence and offence in first half and start of the 2nd, but struggled quite badly with Turan and Diego on.

Adil Rami - 6.5

Was generally quite solid, although 2 glaring mistakes took out from his good match - going forward alone, losing out the ball (possibly a foul) and not coming back for the longest time and a push against Diego, which probably should have been a penalty.

Víctor Ruiz - 6.5

Very shaky at the start of the match, but grew on and was solid afterwards. A solid debut and can only be expected to build upon that.

Miguel Brito - 6.0

The only reason he got a 6 is because of the wonderful assist for Soldado. Otherwise, consistently losing out balls in attack, misplacing passes, failing to come back to defence. Still better than Bruno, though.

Pablo Piatti - 7.0

Very lively and a consistent thorn for Atletico defenders, but his end product was lacking. Scored a goal which was incorrectly ruled out for offside.

Albelda - 7.0

The best performance in a long while for the captain of Los Che - not the most skillful, not the most flashy, but very effective and breaking down attacks in an achoring role.

Jonas - 5.5

Barring 2 chances within 30 seconds, he was invisible. Participated in build up and has shown his talents, but he is much more effective as a substitute.

Tino Costa - 7.0

All out action performance for the Argentine who worked hard in both ends of the pitch. After his removal, Valencia struggled badly to keep the ball and completely lost out on possession.

Pablo Hernández - 6.0

Offencively, didn't do much, but he was running all over the pitch putting in a lot of effort to keep the ball for Valencia.

Roberto Soldado - 6.5

Looks like he can't stop scoring at the moment, but he should have had more than one. In the end, the hero of the day shouldn't be bashed, so we'll leave it there. Worked hard in defence.

Substitutes

Mehmet Topal - 5.5

Not quite what Valencia got used to from the Turk last season - he worked hard and helped Valencia keep the clean sheet, though.

Canales - 5.0

Didn't do anything, but shouldn't be blamed - he came on as Valencia just couldn't keep the ball for more than 5 seconds and he wasn't given a chance.

Jordi Alba - 6.0

A decent performance for the hard working Spaniard, even though he was caught out of position a few times.

Atletico

Thibaut Courtois - 7.0

Extremely solid - and didn't have a chance against Soldado's cross. On loan Chelsea man looks to be a great loan signing for Atletico.

Filipe Luis - 7.0

By far the best defender of Atletico for the night - work hard in defence and contributed well to attack, although it has to be said that the assist came from his side.

Álvaro Domínguez - 6.0

Not the best, nor the worst night for the Spanish international: he did make a few good tackles and interceptions, but also got caught out of position quite a few times. Doesn't work too well with Miranda.

Miranda - 6.0

Slightly better than his partner, but not too solid either.

Silvio - 5.5

Didn't do anything offencively and got beat consistently by Valencia's player. Doesn't look to be ready for 1st team just yet.

Tiago - 6.5

Was the only Atletico center midfielder tonight who looked like capable of anything before introduction of Diego. Created a few brilliant chances for his teammates and work hard, although gets minus points for his extremely rash challenge on Piatti (which probably should have had him sent off).

Mario Suárez - 5.5

Worked hard, but not much came off for him. Much, much worse than last weekend.

Gabi - 4.5

Was Gabi even playing? Struggled to contain Tino Costa and failed in his role as a defencive midfielder. A night to forget.

José Antonio Reyes - 6.0

Can't complain about his workrate - it's just wasn't his night. End product was a bit poor, but still by far the biggest threat in the 1st half for Atletico.

Radamel Falcao - 4.0

40 million man has struggled... Badly. He was starved out of support, but his normally superb movement off the ball was quite lacking and he never looked like threatening. Not quite the dream debut.

Adrián - 4.5

Got into some good positions, but with the amount of chances he was presented, he really should have done much better. Better of the two forwards as at least he got a few chances, but one can't help but think that most of others forwards would have scored.

Substitutes

Diego Ribas - 7.0

Looked like Diego of old - full of flashy tricks, superb passes and wonderful awareness. He completely changed the match and kept beating Valencia's player and creating chances. By the little evidence seen, looks set to be a key piece of Atletico this season.

Arda Turan - 6.5

Along with Diego, he changed the game. Worked hard, created chances and while probably should have done better on some occasions, looks quite promising.

Juanfran - 6.0

Got very little to do anything, but looked threatening and made some good passes.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody watch the match versus Barcelona last night? If not, then you missed an absolute cracker of a match. Valencia were absolutely superb, especially in the first 45 minutes as they completely outplayed Barca - and at their own game. The final score was 2-2 but Valencia could have so nearly grabbed all 3 points, conceding in the final 14 minutes to a well worked Barca goal.

I have to single out one performance in general though and that was of Ever Banega who was quite simply brilliant. I have raved about this guy for years now and it finally seems he is coming into his own with both great performances but more importantly consistent performances. He ran the show for Los Che, without a doubt. It is amazing the difference 2 years can make, back then people were going on about how overrated and overpriced (€18m) he was, but that was the case due to his performances for Valencia and Atletico in the early years, but he looks worth every penny now. There is no doubt in my mind this guy can be a starter for some of the biggest clubs in the world and definitely for Argentina.

This season is definitely looking promising for Valencia, but we were in the same situation at the start of last season and faded away throughout the season. I'm far more optimistic this season though, I mean the defence looks so good already. Rami and Ruiz are developing a fantastic partnership and Matheiu at LB is solid as well (He was great last night also). I don't want to sound too optimistic but I definitely reckon challenging for 2nd is not out of grasp this season - that may sound ludicrous to some but with Madrid and Barca already faltering this season, it does looks plausible.

Albelda also ran the game in the first half, shame he got injured because he was a rock in that midfield. Also Mathieu and Alba impressed me down that left hand side in the first half, Dani Alves was pushing up way to far and they were countering it but Alves proved he can defend in the second half by staying back and helping his team out, overall though it was a brilliant game.

Loving the look of Valencia so far this season, they will finish about 9points behind Madrid I reckon if not closer, there that good, and who saw Soldado's miss in the first half, out of the players the man in the spotlight missed :)

Albelda also ran the game in the first half' date=' shame he got injured because he was a rock in that midfield. Also Mathieu and Alba impressed me down that left hand side in the first half, Dani Alves was pushing up way to far and they were countering it but Alves proved he can defend in the second half by staying back and helping his team out, overall though it was a brilliant game.

Loving the look of Valencia so far this season, they will finish about 9points behind Madrid I reckon if not closer, there that good, and who saw Soldado's miss in the first half, out of the players the man in the spotlight missed :)[/quote']

Albelda - I have to agree he looked awesome last night as well. I mean for 34, last night he played like he was in his prime. He definitely still has plenty left to offer Valencia. I really can't think of a bad performance from anyone last night, maybe apart from Soldado :o Only due to his emphatic start to this season though, he was quiet last night which is not like him at all. That miss also... oh dear :D Just got his footing wrong, but what a signing he has turned out to be. €10m for him was an absolute bargain. The signings that Valencia make are absolutely fantastic all the time. I mean;

Diego Alves (€3m - Can't even get a look in now due to the performances of Guaita, but hes a great 'keeper).

Rami (€6m - Reported fee, could be €10m but still unbelievable)

Ruiz (€8m)

Piatti (€7.5m)

Canales (€2m loan - Option of €12m, some may think thats a little dear but the guy has bags of talent. I definitely think they should snap him up for that at the end of the season)

Parejo (€6m + Moya)

Brilliant.

Albelda - I have to agree he looked awesome last night as well. I mean for 34' date=' last night he played like he was in his prime. He definitely still has plenty left to offer Valencia. I really can't think of a bad performance from anyone last night, maybe apart from Soldado :o Only due to his emphatic start to this season though, he was quiet last night which is not like him at all. That miss also... oh dear :D Just got his footing wrong, but what a signing he has turned out to be. €10m for him was an absolute bargain. The signings that Valencia make are absolutely fantastic all the time. I mean;

Diego Alves (€3m - Can't even get a look in now due to the performances of Guaita, but hes a great 'keeper).

Rami (€6m - Reported fee, could be €10m but still unbelievable)

Ruiz (€8m)

Piatti (€7.5m)

Canales (€2m loan - Option of €12m, some may think thats a little dear but the guy has bags of talent. I definitely think they should snap him up for that at the end of the season)

Parejo (€6m + Moya)

Brilliant.[/quote']

Not to mention picking Mathieu for free last summer. And even Feghouli, who was very good in CL lately, so may eventually turn into something useful after all. Valencia is team that gets players for bargain prices for a reason, or multiple reasons: a highly debted club that plays the top level football and pays ridiculous salaries thus enabling players to get nice amounts of money plus CL action, plus playing against Barcelona and Real and thus they will choose easily Valencia when they have that choice - which is usually when they have little or no contract left (or sometimes when they don't just fit to the first XI of a bigger club). This gets them the strong players who are not yet stars instead of the ready-to-retire former stars or any other expensive but useless players.

Of course they must be wise enough to get those players, but let me put it differently: who would not have wanted those players? It is not so easy for all the clubs to get them. I remind you of the Gameiro incident: Valencia bargained, Bordeaux was able to offer €15M, wanted rather to go to Valencia. Simply put: Bordeaux can't currently get the players that are of good value, which is the main reason they are not buying anything (the only wise transfer policy available for the club, regardless of what the stupid fans think). Valencia can get what they need, and in fact, it is the only affordable transfer policy to them to buy these players (which gets them the success they need to keep on keeping on despite of the massive debts, plus will eventually get them profit when selling same players more expensively).

Valencia just made me some extra pocket money with that draw against Barcelona (which was almost obvious despite the ridiculously high return: this wasn't the match that Valencia was going to win, but Barcelona wasn't going to win all their Liga matches either, and playing at Valencia without Iniesta, Sanchez and Piqué, well, it made all the sense that they'll drop some points there). For a change one of my bets went right.