The Official Valencia C.F. Thread

Tom Erdenay

Re: The Official Valencia C.F. Thread

Valencia won yet again today. Another 3-1 victory and I'd have to say that Valencia under Emery is looking better and better.

I had to go out this morning' date=' so I've missed the game. Sorry, but no ratings today :([/quote']

Good to see Mata on the score sheet. I really feel Valencia can compete and push for the second place atleast.

Good to see Mata on the score sheet. I really feel Valencia can compete and push for the second place atleast.

That would be amazing, but a bit unrealistic. There's nothing more than I'd like to see than Valencia winning La Liga, but with Madrid and Barca spending so much money, it's going to be very hard.

A much more realistic trophy would be Europa league. As long as Valencia secure a Champion's league place, it's going to be a good season. Financial side still isn't very strong and I think it will take another few years (or a bit more) for Valencia to be able to challenge for top honours again.

That would be amazing' date=' but a bit unrealistic. There's nothing more than I'd like to see than Valencia winning La Liga, but with Madrid and Barca spending so much money, it's going to be very hard.

A much more realistic trophy would be Europa league. As long as Valencia secure a Champion's league place, it's going to be a good season. Financial side still isn't very strong and I think it will take another few years (or a bit more) for Valencia to be able to challenge for top honours again.[/quote']

I think the important thing here would be to keep hold of their players. If they achieve that, I see no reason why they can't compete with the likes of Madrid and Barca. Mata, Pablo, Villa, Jaoquin have enough quality in them to take Valencia ahead.

Whats the financial situation like at Valencia? Finances are something that I really don't understand. Are they a privately owned club?

I think the important thing here would be to keep hold of their players. If they achieve that' date=' I see no reason why they can't compete with the likes of Madrid and Barca. Mata, Pablo, Villa, Jaoquin have enough quality in them to take Valencia ahead.

Whats the financial situation like at Valencia? Finances are something that I really don't understand. Are they a privately owned club?[/quote']

No, as far as I know, they're not (same as all big teams in Spain). Well, I'm not from Spain (obviously), so I'm not 100% sure, but as far as I know (about 99% correct), Valencia is owned by socios (the club is owned by fans). That means, that they support the team financially and that the club is dependent on the financial status of their supporters, so obviously a world-wide crisis was a huge blow. They first got into the debts because of their new stadium (New Mestalla) and the crisis struck worst time possible with the stadium half finished (you can only continue to go forward with building it, so they had to get even more loans, thus having huge debts). However, everything is going much better now and Valencia doesn't have to sell of their assets now.

However, I can see Villa leaving in the summer (possibly Mata and Silva too). Valencia are in big debts, so I'm almost 100% sure that they'll sell Villa - he'll be 28 then, so still enough to get 30M+ and to repay some debts and buy replacements. Dominguez signing is also a sign, although I really don't think that any of the key players would leave in January, because it is way too important to secure a CL spot. There are few other hunches, but I guess it's enough for now.

I agree that they could compete with Barca and Madrid, but Valencia are still lacking a bit class in few positions, but I'm sure that after summer Valencia will still be a power in Spain. Los Che new president far exceeded my expectations and I'm very happy with his management.

Since you didn't see the match today Tom, I'll give some improvised ratings... :)

Cesar - 6 - Didn't have much to do, but when he did didn't look too confident. Kicking and timing were quite poor but then again the pitch was an absolute mess for poor old grandad.

Bruno - 7 - Steady game for the big bald guy, who started at RB and moved to LB at half time. Played well at both positions.

David Navarro - 7 - Not a lot for the hard man to do again, but when he had he coped well enough.

Alexis - 7 - Same as Navarro ^ for my long haired lover today.

Mathieu - 5 - Erm where did he disappear to in the 1st half? Replaced at half time by the unlikely trouble makingparty mad man Miguel.

Marchena - 7 - He was going to get a 6, but had to give him a 7 for scoring an awesome third goal for the team!

Banega - 8.5 - For me, he was the man of the match. He did so well in the middle and tided things up well as well as spreading play. An absolute peach of a ball for the 1st goal too. Hes come on so much this season.

Sanchez Joaquin - 6.5 - Didn't do a lot, but didn't do a lot wrong either.

Silva - 8 - Had a good game too along with Banega and scored a good goal which he deserved considering he must've bust a gut to get into the box!

Mata - 7.5 - Hmm again he wasn't much to be seen in the game and is nothing like the Mata I know. He did finish well but apart from that he came in and put of play a lot.

Villa - 6 - Very quiet game for him today. But hey, everyone has their off-days!

Dominguez also made his debut for Los Che, for the final 15 minutes. He will have absolutely no trouble fitting into the team.

Mata' date=' Villa, Silva, Pablo...

If they had a decent defense and goalie they'd be serious challengers to the monopoly of Barca and Real.[/quote']

How can you say Cesar's not decent :eek:. He's kept Valencia in so many games this season. I'd blame the mistake last night more on Alexis tbh. He saw Cesar had come to get the ball so why head it over him into the goal? If I was SM I'd drop Alexis to 88. He's not really good enough to be Valencia's main sub CB imo.

I say Valencia need a better right back (Bruno's gone down hill since joining), possibly a new left winger (Mata's been useless recently) and then they need to get Manuel Fernandez fully fit and they've got a team capable of Champions League last 8. I'm still not 100% sure about Mathieu either yet. He's been much better recently and looks more dangerous than Mata going forward I just worry about him defensively at times. Great to see Banega on top form again as well. I don't why Emery always takes him off though :confused:

How can you say Cesar's not decent :eek:. He's kept Valencia in so many games this season. I'd blame the mistake last night more on Alexis tbh. He saw Cesar had come to get the ball so why head it over him into the goal? If I was SM I'd drop Alexis to 88. He's not really good enough to be Valencia's main sub CB imo.

I say Valencia need a better right back (Bruno's gone down hill since joining)' date=' possibly a new left winger (Mata's been useless recently) and then they need to get Manuel Fernandez fully fit and they've got a team capable of Champions League last 8. I'm still not 100% sure about Mathieu either yet. He's been much better recently and looks more dangerous than Mata going forward I just worry about him defensively at times. Great to see Banega on top form again as well. I don't why Emery always takes him off though :confused:[/quote']

I totally agree. Cesar has been superb this season (barring few blunders). Alexis can be a decent back-up, but that goal was totally his fault. He has some very solid games and then can be completely unreliable... However, yesterday Valencia had an amazing game (Alexis wasn't bad, it's just that goal...) and it could've been 10-0 easy. Even though Villa got 2 goals, he wasted soo many chances.. Furthermore, while there was some contact for the penalty it 100% wasn't a red card as Villa went down very easy. Also, I think it was a free kick right on the edge, not a pen. Silva, Banega, Joaquin, Fernandes - all were amazing. Mata had a decent game (he's looking a bit better lately), but still far from his form of last season. It was also very nice to see Pablito back. All in all, Valencia destroyed Villareal (they had no chances) and they got very lucky with the result they got.

Yesterday Bruno was very good, but he's not a world class wingback and he's not very young as well, so I don't think he'll get any better. Miguel isn't the most reliable back-up as well, so there's certainly a need to reinforce this position. As for LB, Mathieu, well, he looks very solid when going in attack and solid enough in the back. Furthermore, there's Carleto as a young promising LB, so I'm fine with this position. I totally agree with Fernandes one - he was amazing when fit earlier on and he's capable of a lot (look at his long shots :eek:). Banega has been superb this season (looks like he finally got over his mental issues) and is performing well. I can see why Emery took off him yesterday - when the result is so assured, why not let him rest. However, some of earlier subs got me interested in that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll be honest - by far the worst performance the whole season. There have been plenty matches where Valencia wasn't supposed to drop points, but still did, but here, well, 2-1 doesn't exactly reflect the game.

First, decision to bench Banega was a terrible one, IMO. In the first half, both teams had no spark, but Sevilla did look as a better side and they did look likely to score.. so they did. Valencia up till introduction of Banega created nothing... ABSOLUTELY nothing. Villa didn't even get the ball, Pablo and Mata were non-existant, Silva tried something, but just couldn't pull it off. The defence also looked very shaky.

The 2nd half was much better, but still not nearly enough to draw (even though the last 20 mins were almost the usual Valencia we've seen. You would expect a fast paced, interesting, attacking football with lots of flair, when teams have players like Navas, Villa, Silva, Mata, Capel, Pablo, Banega, Kanoute and etc. However, some were benched, most of them didn't show up and only Navas actually was seen through-out the game. His assist was superb, but Negredo's goal was even better.

All in all, there was lots of stuff left to be desired. Valencia didn't show up until the last 20 minutes and you don't do that. Emery will have lots of work to do till the next match.

It seems as Emery looked at what I've wrote and did his homework this time. Well deserved win for Valencia (sadly, I've only seen the highlights).

Barring the Sevilla blip, Valencia look quite solid and they should be able to secure 3rd place in La Liga this season, as most of their contenders look very inconsistent and shaky.

• 2 weeks later...

This win was refreshing. Lets see how Valencia will march on' date=' but so far I'd say this has been a great season for Los Che.[/quote']

Yes, great season so far. I only managed to watch the first half last night, but having a look at the highlights now it seems Pablo has reached top form once again. Bring on the round of 16...

Yes' date=' great season so far. I only managed to watch the first half last night, but having a look at the highlights now it seems Pablo has reached top form once again. Bring on the round of 16...[/quote']

I've only seen the ending myself (due to the lecture at the same time), but Pablo definitely looked great (he scored 2 goals, after all). I really hope that Valencia would be able to go far in UEFA and would qualify for CL for next season (that's quite realistic at this moment).

Also, I sense a very busy transfer window and as long as we don't sell Silva, Banega and Pablo, I'll be very happy :o

I've only seen the ending myself (due to the lecture at the same time)' date=' but Pablo definitely looked great (he scored 2 goals, after all). I really hope that Valencia would be able to go far in UEFA and would qualify for CL for next season (that's quite realistic at this moment).

Also, I sense a very busy transfer window and as long as we don't sell [b']Silva, Banega and Mata[/b], I'll be very happy :o

So you assume Villa is almost certain to leave Mestalla? Also, with Pablo's performances improving, there will certainly be interests from other clubs. And if, Valencia fail to qualify for the UCL, it'll be hard to keep hold of their star players. Having said that, I am pretty confident that they will certainly qualify. Their form has been good and I feel they have a good chance to progress further in the Europa League too. Just hope they don't turn out to be the 'Tottenham' of La Liga and choke at the big stage.

So you assume Villa is almost certain to leave Mestalla? Also' date=' with Pablo's performances improving, there will certainly be interests from other clubs. And if, Valencia fail to qualify for the UCL, it'll be hard to keep hold of their star players. Having said that, I am pretty confident that they will certainly qualify. Their form has been good and I feel they have a good chance to progress further in the Europa League too. Just hope they don't turn out to be the 'Tottenham' of La Liga and choke at the big stage.[/quote']

I think it's just a matter of time before Villa leaves Valencia, but the problem is where? Valencia needs the cash and Villa is a player that deservs to win the Champions League and unfornately he won't win it with Valencia.

I hope though Valencia goes far in Europa League and manage to qualify for CL next season (I'm sure they'll manage to do that). The big problem though is will Valencia manage to keep away Real from sniffing at Silva for example? I mean, it's not that sure Ribéry will leave Bayern after this season and I believe Reals second choice for the wing position is Silva. He is left-footed and would be a better addition to the left-side of Madrid than Marcelo.

Also, I don't think they are the Spanish Tottenham. Valencia has more success in their history than Bottenham.

So you assume Villa is almost certain to leave Mestalla? Also' date=' with Pablo's performances improving, there will certainly be interests from other clubs. And if, Valencia fail to qualify for the UCL, it'll be hard to keep hold of their star players. Having said that, I am pretty confident that they will certainly qualify. Their form has been good and I feel they have a good chance to progress further in the Europa League too. Just hope they don't turn out to be the 'Tottenham' of La Liga and choke at the big stage.[/quote']

Yes, he's probably leaving this summer. However, it's going to be great for both as Valencia will sell a 28 year old striker for 35M + and some club will get a world class forward. Villa has been an amazing player for all these years: prolific striker who stayed loyal even though almost every best club in Europe were after him. The things that he gave to Los Che are amazing and he's not even from their youth system. I really love players like him.

It's actually Pablo I meant, not Mata :o Yes, I'm quite sure that there will be lots of clubs after him, but he shouldn't go just yet (would be beneficial for both him and his club).

That's my hope - but it should come true. They've looked very bright under Emery for most of the time and that shouldn't change now. As long as Valencia will not sell those who shouldn't go and will strengthen 3 positions, they could go far.

I think it's just a matter of time before Villa leaves Valencia' date=' but the problem is where? Valencia needs the cash and Villa is a player that deservs to win the Champions League and unfornately he won't win it with Valencia.

I hope though Valencia goes far in Europa League and manage to qualify for CL next season (I'm sure they'll manage to do that). The big problem though is will Valencia manage to keep away Real from sniffing at Silva for example? I mean, it's not that sure Ribéry will leave Bayern after this season and I believe Reals second choice for the wing position is Silva. He is left-footed and would be a better addition to the left-side of Madrid than Marcelo.

Also, I don't think they are the Spanish Tottenham. Valencia has more success in their history than Bottenham.[/quote']

He probably could win some silverware with Valencia, but if Valencia are planning to sell him, it has to be now or the next season. Afterwards, they will not get as near as much money as they have now and you can buy a lot with 35M+ ;)

Valencia's president already showed that he can keep his best players even with terrible finances, so I'm sure he'd be able to keep Silva now. However, if the offer would be too big to resist, he may sell him (I hope that will not happen).

A disastrous result. Although it may not have affected Valencia's position much as Sevilla squandered their chance to be level on points with them, it surely would have left a mark mentally. It seemed to be a perfect fixture after a successfully progressing though to the next round in the Europa League. And moreover, they'll be without two of their defenders for the next match. I followed only the match only through text commentary but watched the highlights later and after the first goal, it was all Atletico. They simply lost their shape once they were down to ten men although, I felt the decision was quite weird considering it was the fourth official who gave it and not the linesman. The final scoreline could have been a lot worse, had it not been for Cesar.

Valencia now play Racing in the next matchday and hope they recover from this defeat.

A disastrous result. Although it may not have affected Valencia's position much as Sevilla squandered their chance to be level on points with them' date=' it surely would have left a mark mentally. It seemed to be a perfect fixture after a successfully progressing though to the next round in the Europa League. And moreover, they'll be without two of their defenders for the next match. I followed only the match only through text commentary but watched the highlights later and after the first goal, it was all Atletico. They simply lost their shape once they were down to ten men although, I felt the decision was quite weird considering it was the fourth official who gave it and not the linesman. The final scoreline could have been a lot worse, had it not been for Cesar.

Valencia now play Racing in the next matchday and hope they recover from this defeat.[/quote']

Well, it was a horrible match to watch, to be honest. The only players that looked like doing something were Cesar, Dealbert, Silva and maybe Joaquin.

To be honest, I'm starting to become very nervous as this is not the 1st bad match lately and since I've been praising Emery, the squad became complacent. A lot of players don't look that they have that spark anymore and most of them generally looked poor. One of the few bright spots lately has been Chori Dominguez who actually looked quite well for most of the time he played. However, one of the biggest worries for me against Athletico was Banega - he looked horrible. Nothing like the typical creative, industrious performances of this season and while he did tried to create something, nothing worked. If our midfield will not get back up, I'm afraid hard times are coming.

I pretty much totally agree with everything you said - Athletico were the only ones who showed up and if not Aguero (who's been very poor) and Cesar, the result may have ended with 7 or more for Athletico. If Valencia will not pick them selves up soon (preferably against Racing), this may not be such a great season after all.