this game is just pot-luck

mystery man

how can i lose 4.1 to a team whos players condition is all in the 10-20 bracket while mine are all at 100 percent.i have the better team aswell.ive drew with teams full of players on 1 percent and beleive me i have a good team klose,podolski gudjonsen players of that level.i just dont understand this game.how are results done ??

how can i lose 4.1 to a team whos players condition is all in the 10-20 bracket while mine are all at 100 percent.i have the better team aswell.ive drew with teams full of players on 1 percent and beleive me i have a good team klose' date='podolski gudjonsen players of that level.i just dont understand this game.how are results done ??[/quote']

You've hit the nail on the head mate.

Stegore rolls a die, and what comes comes, nothing much you can do about it ;)

(PSV Ave 90)Last season I beat Barcelona (Ave 95) home and away.

Then lost home and away to bottom of the league (Sporting Lisbon Ave 87) with more or less the same team.

Happened again this season already, beat Barca 4-2 then 2 matches later lost to bottom of the league who til then had 0 points after 6 games.

Then lost home and away to bottom of the league (Sporting Lisbon Ave 87) with more or less the same team.

Happened again this season already' date=' beat Barca 4-2 then 2 matches later lost to bottom of the league who til then had 0 points after 6 games.[/quote']

Yes but there is more than one factor put in the engine,if it was just on the higher teams rating then nearly everyone would know results,A team with a ave rating of 87 might be higher in ave age than somebody that has got a team rating higher,so i presume even this will have an affect as well as your Formation and Tactics.If we all new it was just the highest rating then you would soon be bored,we would just set out and buy the highest and the same team like Barca and Chelsea would proberbly win season after season wheres the fun in that. :)

I agree with Alan here,where would be the fun if 90 ave rated teams just won every game.

You just have to look at some recent real life results to see that the best team doesn't always win,Chelsea beat by Spurs,Arsenal beat by West Ham,Man U beat by Southend,Rangers beat by Dundee,Celtic beat by Falkirk need i go on.

And these are only recent results,Football is so unpredictable at times that's why it is so great a game.If it was so predictale we would be all millionaires and the bokies would be out of buisness.

WELL DONE SM for keeping it so real.

Happened again this season already' date=' beat Barca 4-2 then 2 matches later lost to bottom of the league who til then had 0 points after 6 games.[/quote']

This more or less happens eveyr season in every league, not with those exact teams odviously.

I dont think thats what the gripe is on this thread though,its obvious the match engine isnt taking condition into consideration or how else could a team full of 1% players compete against a fully fit eleven.it needs updated asap,as these results are becoming more common.if a player is correctly deemed NMF when under 60% then a player on 1% should hardly be able to muster a jog.. :confused:

I dont think thats what the gripe is on this thread though' date='its obvious the match engine isnt taking condition into consideration or how else could a team full of 1% players compete against a fully fit eleven.it needs updated asap,as these results are becoming more common.if a player is correctly deemed NMF when under 60% then a player on 1% should hardly be able to muster a jog.. :confused:[/quote']

Actually will agree with you about this thread,we are actually answering to

"speddiez" which is different to what the starter of this thread is on about. :)

I dont think thats what the gripe is on this thread though' date='its obvious the match engine isnt taking condition into consideration or how else could a team full of 1% players compete against a fully fit eleven.it needs updated asap,as these results are becoming more common.if a player is correctly deemed NMF when under 60% then a player on 1% should hardly be able to muster a jog.. :confused:[/quote']

Yeah totaly agree with you on that, otherwise there is no point at all in keeping players fit, and i no alot of people dont bother i always end up throwing my cup games because i rest my players but i guess there has been no need for me to do this

yes true playing as barca played 4 won 1 i lost the opening 3 games then beat st etienne 1-0 and they r bottom like you said it is so real. :)

Yea your the same as me then,no man to man managment skills,i have the same trouble with my Barca side. :D

Actually come to think of it i have the same Prob with all my teams. :P

Dont you just love it anyway. :)

Well i also have the same problem. My 1st 11 has an average rating of 96 and my overall team an average rating of 91 was 92 last turn and i got relegated?!?!?

Im now 15th in Division 2 and slowely making progress after 4 straight defeats.

Recently won 3 in a row before losing yesterday lol. Not many turns left in the league though.

Here are a list of my teams and their positions:

Tottenham - promoted as Champions of the 2nd div of a Neller's Small Private Elite League

Fulham - 1st after 4 games in EC1, div2

Sheffield United - 1st having played 37 of 38 games in EC2, div2

Millwall - 2nd with 17 games played in EC53

WBA - 10th with 15 games played in EC58

Dynamo Kiev - 6th with 3 games gone in WC126

Flamengo - 5th with 19 games gone in Neller's Forum Setup

Cork City - 2nd with 19 games gone in Speedvan's Minnows Setup

Manchester United - 2nd with 19 games gone in the Hoot If You Love Haggis Setup

Spartak Moskva - 5th with 9 games gone in Gold Setup 1

Grays Athletic - 12th out 14 with 3 games gone

My intention is not to gloat (the above are facts which you can check if you wish) but to back up my opinion that the game is not based on luck. Are these positions a fluke? No, the weaker sides struggle.

I consistently see the same managers doing well and know some managers, irrespective of their teams, are going to give me a tougher game than others. This is not chance.

I also see a direct relationship between the amount of effort i put into my teams/tactics and the results that I achieve. Coincidence? No.

What I think this thread is good for is proving that success in SM is not based soley on Player Rating - thank heavens for that - but on many other factors.

Can i ask, do those that have struggled with high rating players, do you vary your tactics depending on who you play? It just never fails to amaze me how little some do this, so i (perhaps wrongly) assume this is the cause of so many teams underachieving.

Here are a list of my teams and their positions:

Tottenham - promoted as Champions of the 2nd div of a Neller's Small Private Elite League

Fulham - 1st after 4 games in EC1' date=' div2

Sheffield United - 1st having played 37 of 38 games in EC2, div2

Millwall - 2nd with 17 games played in EC53

WBA - 10th with 15 games played in EC58

Dynamo Kiev - 6th with 3 games gone in WC126

Flamengo - 5th with 19 games gone in Neller's Forum Setup

Cork City - 2nd with 19 games gone in Speedvan's Minnows Setup

Manchester United - 2nd with 19 games gone in the Hoot If You Love Haggis Setup

Spartak Moskva - 5th with 9 games gone in Gold Setup 1

Grays Athletic - 12th out 14 with 3 games gone

My intention is not to gloat (the above are facts which you can check if you wish) but to back up my opinion that the game is not based on luck. Are these positions a fluke? No, the weaker sides struggle.

I consistently see the same managers doing well and know some managers, irrespective of their teams, are going to give me a tougher game than others. This is not chance.

I also see a direct relationship between the amount of effort i put into my teams/tactics and the results that I achieve. Coincidence? No.

What I think this thread is good for is proving that success in SM is not based soley on Player Rating - thank heavens for that - but on many other factors.

Can i ask, do those that have struggled with high rating players, do you vary your tactics depending on who you play? It just never fails to amaze me how little some do this, so i (perhaps wrongly) assume this is the cause of so many teams underachieving.[/quote']

now that post wold deserve some karma ( see my thread ), i totally agree, the more ffort you put in, the more u get out

Hi , im Rhino , and this is my first post .

I am relatively new to the game , or more to say ,this game in particular , having only been playin for some 20-25 turns , although i am not new to this Online football management genre , for which i has been playing religiously over the past few years .

After competing in a few matches , it quickly became apparent to myself that indeed it is far more than a players rating that will affect results , which lead me on to further question the game engine.

Soccermanager is far less tactical than anythin previous that i have played , or at least it appears to be , as there are few 100% correct ways to counter your opponents tactics.

Of course factors such as a players fitness should affect the outcome of the match , but whether the game programme is advanced enough to recognise the amount of fitness a player has or merely whether they are match fit or not , is an enigma that could change the way managers approach their games.

I am unsure whether a players form and morale , have anything to do with the result , as this would create a spiraling effect, which is perhaps highlighted by the team with the high average rating that got relegated and lie lower in Div 2 , mentioned earlier , where once a game is lost , a players form will be directly effected , and say if you had a team of 96 rating players in 6th postion in the league , their next 5 fixtures , are against the top 5 . You lose them all 2-0 , every starting players form will be low , and if this counts for anything in the weighing up of matches , you will continue to lose until you came up against a team with players holding worse form. The same would happen with Morale .Therefore it would suggest that form and morale have to have a small part (if any) to play in the results process as this would cause teams to have sudden and disastourous turns in fortune.

Having played and spent a long time studying other types of this management game , i had always hoped that there would become an engine that rewards people for spending longer amounts of time tending to their team ,this being also benefitial to SM as consumers would spend longer on the game therefore longer periods of time exposed to the advertisements , knowing that this would help their team/teams in the up and coming match.The reality is though , that for a game engine to calculate for each manager , time spent online , or , amount of times the team tactics page was clicked , would take some sort of supermachine , which when you consider SM's potential net turnover is not fianancially viable.

In my own personal opinion i believe there has got to be a "random" element thrown into the mixer that produced the odd unexpected result , but the more this happens , the less it becomes random .

I think teams with better players and not the merely the team names should dicate the result , as i believe Manchester United would beat Burnley regardless of Players , but only to a certain extent , and it is where this certain extent is , ... that i would like to find out.

I am sure that i have probably left out some items which need to be mentioned , but i think you'll get bored reading that .

Thankyou for your patience.

Rhino

Almost philosphical there Rhino (touching subjects that none of us can really be sure of the answer) - a pleasure to read :D Hope to see you posting regularly!

To what degree fitness and morale are taken into account is a very grey area - there is a thread on the Support & Improvements section (match engine improvements) which discusses it and apparently SM are looking into making it more realistic. From my personal experience, I just play my best players every game unless they are NMF (which is very rare for me, even with cup games midweek) and they perform consistently well whether 100% fit or 60% fit. With morale, I do not know the answer... maybe someone else could shed some light.

On the subject of whether tactics are important in the engine, or whether average ratings and team names outweigh tactics.... well, have a look at my KooTeePee team! have beaten Roma, Inter and Bayern Munich this season with a load of assorted crappy old players from around the world :D in fact, the engine DOES take formation and luck very seriously... with my blackburn side the ave rating is 93 and yet we still lose quite often to poor teams that had the right formation or were just lucky!

This was my match from tonight

Liverpool (me)

Reina(92) - 100% fit

Carragher (93) - 100% fit

Samuel (93) - 100% fit

Lucio (94) - 100% fit

Alonso (95) - 100% fit

Gerrard (97) - 100% fit

Garcia (92) - 100% fit

Riise (90) - 100% fit

Etoo (97) - 100% fit

Ronaldinho (99) - 100% fit

Adriano (93) - 100% fit

Ave Rating Ave Age Ave Value

94 26 £9.8M

Spurs (other human manager)

P.ROBINSON (93) - 100% fit

F.CANNAVARO (97) - 54% fit

W.GALLAS (95) - 32% fit

J.ZANETTI (94) - 68% fit

D.BECKHAM (93) - 60% fit

R.VICENTE (93) - 30% fit

N.KOVAC (90) - 20% fit

E.DAVIDS (90) - 41% fit

J.DEFOE (91) - 45% fit

A.MIDO (90) - 60% fit

DECO (96) - 50% fit

Ave Rating Ave Age Ave Value

92 29 £6.1M

Lost the game 4-2 and was pretty much outplayed, i won the league last season so its not because of bad tactics etc, so from the match above i think i can pretty much guess fitness plays no factor at all in the engine just tactics / team rating.

I dont mind just thought i would let everyone no incase there like me and rest there main players for cup games and when there not fit. because there is probably no need although i will still carry on to do so