Huddersfield Town EC106 Blog.

Dermo

Re: Huddersfield Town EC106 Blog.

Two games in. One point to show. I was hammered in the first game, away to Manchester United, 4-1. In division one, 3 other games ended up with that scoreline. Imagine that. I drew 0-0 with Preston after. I am in 15th.

It's early yet, but I am worrying that I won't score much again this season. I will still try with just one upfront, but that is mostly down to circumstances of needing to play your strongest team. I never liked playing 3 at the back in this division, and not with no CB's over 90. And I never liked the idea of playing a LB and a RB in a 3 man defence. But I have heard of others doing it, but I know in real life, it wouldn't work. In real life few teams play with only 3 CB's, most play with a flat back 4 of LB, 2 CB's and a RB.

There were no big player updates, a few Croatian's and maybe Serbian's I purchased very recently, did not rise as much as I would have hoped. I did bring in a 10k player yesterday who rose from 70 to 77. I am not sure why he was still there as 1 or 2 teams routinely bring in 70 rated players and sit on them till they rise. I still have some players from Serbia, Sasa Markovic and Slobodan Medojevic who should both rise by 2. I will probably keep them in so far as there is not much point in selling them.

There isn't much point in selling the U-21's as they mostly rise again, albeit after a long wait. And I am sitting on a cash amount above 80 million, and after selling off a few players, I will have 100 million. There were times in the past in EC106, when players would go for a large sum of money. The best example is Higuain on the market for 70 million. I did not have the cash on hand to buy him, but I placed a few players on the list. Unfortunately, the selling manger sold another forward instead, so I couldn't get him. And before that, a few good players have gone for cash in the past, but that was back when I was building a team, and would rarely have more than 10 million in the bank.

Talking of money, and how much we can bid. I am allowed to pay, close to 100 million for a 94. For a 91, Marchena, who dropped in poor circumstances I should say, I could only barely bid 2 young 86's for. About 18 or 20 million. Marchena was a 91, all my other defenders were 90. This is something that should be raised with SM I feel. Also, when Marchena dropped, so all my defenders are 90, I could only bid about 34 million for David Luiz. What the hell is going on. I think the chairman should see you are bidding for a high rated player, and I'm not saying he should let you bid every penny, but a bid of 50 million should be easily attainable. In the end, I got David Luiz, but at the cost of another good solid and young 90 CB, and a promising winger. I would have preferred to have paid the cash amount.

I've brought in a few minor players, some for the countries getting reviewed, and some decent U-21's for some of my over 22 risers. I am disappointed to have to sell good players, who were at a low price, to external. I know that there are plenty of teams that could buy, but I also know that there are plenty of managers who have 20 or 30 other teams, and probably don't look at the transfer list in the setup, but instead post looking for an 86 RB or whatever. Another thing I hate is teams who are happy to loan an 87 off you, but are unwilling to spend 6 or 7 million on an 87 I am trying to sell. A safe 87, or at least, one who won't drop for a while. These are some big teams who have plenty of money.

Outgoing, that 87 player was Dejagah who joins Cardiff for 6 million. A bargain price for a 24 year old. Nils Petersen joins Crewe for 3.75 million, it's a pity we could do only 3 deals per season. Tranmere came out of the blue with a 5 million quid bid for Sapeta. I spent a while looking up news on this kid. Has someone signed him for next season? I couldn't find anything, so I was happy to sell him. Also out went, a favourite of mine, Marcus Senna, for 10 million and a youth player. That price is a bargain, clubs are so stuck up on avoiding buying players above 30. Senna should not have dropped, and I would have kept him, but I know he won't rise again, SM don't rise older players if they can help it, and I have a strong midfield now. When I bought Senna, he was a world class player at 94. Wow, how things can change.

The 3rd game in and I win 2-1 against Chelsea, so I am pretty happy with that. I still don't know if the formation is right, but tweaking the tactics may have helped. Or it may be just a random result. I guess I'll stick with it and see. The problem I have is that it's still too hard to look at the last few results of the team you are playing. I feel you should see the last 5 games they have played, like you can see the last 5 results in the league. And even changing tactics is a hard choice, as a few teams will change their tactics to beat you, so both teams will change and then Lord knows what the result will be. :)

I brought in a number of players, they came in for a few players I was trying to sell. I brought in two Nigerians from Lillestrom, and I have a feeling that team will be the top team in Norway. I also brought in a few players from Chile, also Heinz Lindner a top keeper from Austria, and 2 from Romania who I think may rise a few points. Hedenstad comes in from Norway. Nobody major, but with so few players left to buy, I am hoping they can go on in the future. I have heard great things from Tim Vickery about Kevin Harbottle, and I will see about him.

Outgoing players, well today Sebastian Jung went out for 14 million. I didn't mind that as I had him TL'ed after he rose, but then I took him off and had him on loan. But a bid that doesn't mess about get's my respect. So, despite not needing the money, I cashed in. I know that he is not moving clubs next season, and I felt that he wasn't going to go to much further anytime soon, so that amount of cash could not be rejected. I don't want to be another team that hoards heaps of players that they could sell, as it's good to sell and keep the game economy flowing. Bolton have turned out to be very good with their team, I don't know how they got half of them.

I can only hope that some teams need a bit of cash and want to put up some players for sale. I would also like to be in a setup where all the deals are done by cash only. We are in the early stages of the league, so I expect a few more good players shall go on sale. I do still have a number of very good players that can go outgoing in p/e deals, and I do now have a number of good players up for sale at decent cash prices. I mean that if I was starting off again, and I had a few bob to spend, and nobody to trade out, I would be jumping on some of those players. It's funny, as I get the impression that a lot of managers don't even look at the TL, and I don't know why, but I expect that they are in about 20+ setups and find it hard to put the time in, apart from changing the tactics and stuff. Anyways, I shall try and get Huddersfield Town into the European spots this season. :)

• 2 weeks later...

6 games in and I have 9 points and lie in 11th. I have not lost since the opening day of the season, and I won my first cup game 5-3, which is a scoreline I'd like to see happen in the league. The same problem persists, lack of scoring. Other than that cup game, I have 6-7 in goals for and against. It looks like my team will be hard to beat again next season. It looks like I will have to try out 2 men up top, but I don't think it would be wise for me to play only 3 at the back, unless I brought in a top class CB. Maybe I should try out the good old trusty 442 system. Very few clubs use it on the game, but it is still the number one balanced system to use in European football.

A few major signings come in, none are starters, but just there when the need arises. Abdou Kaber Mangane joined for my max of 559k, Korkmaz and Kanazaki. As usual there was no takers for an 87 CB and a young 86 winger, at a decent price, but this turned out to be fine for me as both had very good p/e values. Mangane will play a good part in the cups, and will be used with someone else to bring in a good player whence I am knocked out of those cups. And I am hoping for 2 good runs in them as well. :D

I signed a few lads playing in Scotland as I am sure of decent rises for them all. There has to come a time in my mind where I stop doing this, but this is the most addictive part of SM for me, the forum as a whole as not been as much fun as it was a year and a half ago. I signed a young lad playing in Cyprus who went up from 81 to 82, he cost me David Meyler. I would have loved to have kept Meyler, but with the injuries he has been getting, I cannot see him rising as steady as he would be.

Pedro Munitis comes in for a nifty 5 million. He had been on the TL for a while, but after my cup game I saw the need to add a winger to play with Plasil. What made it better is that it was an internal deal, I am happy to give someone my pennies than spend it at an external team. He will be used for the cups, and than he can move on at cost price. Also coming in was the best young keeper available at external, Nikolay Mihaylov. His fee was not too big, 119k, Matias Martinez and a young Korean riser. Could I bring in Martinez again for a fourth time? :D I know there is no need for two keepers on SM, and I wish they could be used, but it is more realistic to have 2, and Mihaylov should hit 87 in the next Dutch changes, and 88 after that.

Speaking of second keepers, I have a few good ones in the bag at youth level. Baumann will be my second choice in a year, Neto may get a chance at Fiorentina next season, Diego seems to be second choice at Villareal and Cros will get another good rise with Sochaux. All I need is a good young English keeper to keep up the trend. :D As always, I will keep up the bit of work needed to add more decent players to Huddersfield Town, and I hope I can at least keep my record of staying unbeaten tomorrow. :)

This new season is really kicking off for me, 8 games in and 15 points. Two Sheffield teams brought down with 6 goals and none conceded. This brings up my goals for a bit, and also keeps my defense as the meanest in the league. Up next is a Darlington team who have been around in EC106 from its earliest days, and one who don't change their formation either. I hope to pick up another 3 points at home to them.

A few minor players come in, including Ihor Plastun from Obolon in a straight swap for a minor riser. What a good signing he was, +5 to 82 for him. I love getting last minute signings more than picking them up months before they get reviewed. It's one of my SM things, everybody has there own. Now they are reviewing a few countries, I'll have to have a gander. :D

One major signing, Cesar Azpilicueta joins for 2.4 million, Seydou Doumbia and Vladimir Koman. The Spanish player hasn't played for a long time, and so won't rise anytime soon, but to pick up a promising wing back who has the ability to go far could not be ignored. There are few good LB's and RB's available over 90, so I was happy to pick one up. Doumbia is someone who I don't see rising past 89 soon, and I am okay for forwards, he was 4th choice. Koman is someone I had on the TL a while ago, nobody bidded, but a few team shortlisted him. One of my pet hates. BTB, where has the term, "pet hate" come from? Koman may rise at Sampdoria, may not. Either way, I thought it was a good deal for me, as I can afford to give away those players, and I can afford to wait on Azpilicueta. :)

Luckily I have no injury worries, but having a large squad should help to cover me if I do. Still being in the 2 cups is also a good thing, I have being knocked out of one or the other at the first stage for as long as I can remember. I have plenty of players up for sale, but right now nobody is selling good players for cash, ie David Luiz, who I couldn't bid on. It wasn't long ago that Higuain was up for sale at 70 million. :eek: I only had about 20 or 30 million then. I'd love for a few teams to be selling players for cash today, specifically 91+ rated CB's. :D We can all wish and learn.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to say that things are still going really well at the top of Division 1, and at one point I was second. I am in 4th after drawing a few games recently, the last one against the might Arsenal. (Off the blog, what odds can you get on Wenger getting sacked and Guardiola coming in?) I am still joint first in the least goals conceded, but the old problem of scoring is still there. I also got knocked out of the second cup, even with strong teams. The second one was a loss, my first since game one. How is it that you can go further in the cups when you are in the lower leagues playing your second team? Maybe for next season I shall say I don't give a dam about cup runs, lets see what happens. :)

I am happy to have had 2 major signings come in recently. Elia joins from Crewe for Jaroslav Plasil and Lars Stindl. Plasil has started every game for Bordeaux, and is one of their best players. He has a small chance of hitting 90, but I wanted to change things around, and his primary position being AM and not Winger done it for me. He was a good signing from the last day of 2009 for me. Lars Stindl was a player I had on the TL for cash, but nobody was bothered with him. That's disturbing enough, but even me saying that he was available cheaply meant nothing. So, I decided to keep him for a rise in the future. But after talks with Sean, Plasil and Plasil from a choice of players he gave me, were good for a good winger in Elia. Elia won't rise anytime soon, but he still has a place in the Dutch team, and he has the ability to be a 90 rated player sometime in the future.

The other major signing was Kolo Toure coming in for Salvatore Bocchetti and Andrea Poli. Toure came about after Chelsea gave me their best cash bid for Plasil, which was a few million lower than the best. I mentioned a trade up for me, and so a replacement CB, and another player were needed. Since Salvatore went to Russia he went off the boil for me. I did not understand it, as he was one of the top upcoming CB's in Italy. He hasn't played much since he left, so he had to go for me. Poli had a big injury at the start of this Italian season, and Sampdoria are much weaker also. Both of those young Italians seem to have stagnated in their development, and I really don't want to be sitting on players for the long term, loaning them out. So I went for Toure, who was at one time a big defender, and still has the ability even if he's playing for Manchester City. That's not the place you wanna go if you want to remain as a top player, or become a better one. Next season maybe he can form a good partnership with Kompany.

I have put a bunch of players on the TL from my youth squad. There are some good ones in there, and nearly every player will rise again when they are re-rated. Part of this is down to concerns for more money, but even before that I would want to sell them. I'll end up with a lot of money, but there hasn't been any high rated players on the TL going for cash for quite a while. Please give me a cash only setup SM. I brought in Phillipe Koch from Swindon who had him on the TL for 4.8 million. He may be one to watch for the future, and will surely rise to 86 in the next changes. I'm always looking out for new players, but I am not so much into SM as I once was, and the forums have not been the same fun as they were 2 years ago. But I shall always try and keep up some effort for EC106 for the foreseeable future. :)

After 3 league draws on the trot, I thought it might be time to make a tweak on the old formation, so going to a 352 did the business. If anyone remembers, 352 was what brought me up from the lower positions of division 2, through the playoffs into division 1. Then, I went on my worst run ever with it, and decided to do away with it. Back then I didn't have as strong a team though. Saying that, if I stuck with 451, I may have won, but I like to think the change made the difference. :D I did climb one place to fourth, but Arsenal and Liverpool are teams that have great players and are very well looked after. Some teams have great players and are always struggling.

On the transfers front, I brought in a few minor players from here and there. Nothing more than players who may rise a point, and will be sold. I will say that a few players who I could sell for 1.2 million can be exchanged for a player who might net me 3 million later on. Such silly p/e rates. A few of them may become good if I decide to hold onto them for a decent length of time, but as I am trying to cut down on the squad a bit, most will be sold for cash at the end of the season.

I also brought in Phillipe Koch from Swindon for 4.8 million. The Swiss player is still very young, and will keep rising. I am happy that nobody is too bothered about looking at the transfer list from time to time. Hopefully I will have the future Swiss captain on my hands.

I am happy to have been able to sell a few players for modest cash deals, Koo my Korean who rose 2 in the Korean changes joined Rochdale for 4.8 million. I have seen that he hasn't played much at Wolfsburg yet, so it was a good time to swing the axe. Pryima and Gadzhibekov join Rotherham for 4 and 1.8 million. Milanov and Nava join Stoke for 3 million each. I have also accepted external bids for 7 players, adding 20 million to my cash. I will continue to accept bids in the coming weeks and months ahead. I should try and get the squad down to under 100 if I can, but for every 2 players I might sell, I will find 1 externally that is worth having. :D

One other good deal, good in so far as I was able to pass on a player I've had for a long time, Raphael Jean, for a deal other than cash. I got Maikel Kieftenbeld who should get a rise to 84/85 very soon, and Fabricio Dornellas of Cruzeiro. He is only 21, made a breakthrough at Flamengo. I feel he will be a starter at Cruzeiro when the new Brazilian season kicks off later in May.

Looking through those out on loan, and I would be happy to sell off most of them for any kind of decent offer, usually in a 2 for 1 deal; me giving 2 of them for someone who may start. I have had some success doing this so far this season. I have also missed out on others to some rather questionable deals. But overall, deals have been going well for me, at least the table says so. I have Mihaylov out on loan, I assume he will rise to 87, so a team out on loan looks like this...

GK Nikolay Mihaylov 85 (87)

RB Joao Pereira 88

LB Yuto Nagamoto 88

CB Nicolas Otamendi 88

CB Mathias Zanka Jorgensen 87

DM Giulio Migliaccio 88

CM Mendes Elias 88

CM Manuel Schmiedebach 87

RW Marco Reus 87

LW Georginio Wijnaldum 87

Fwd Bonfim Dentinho 87

Looking through my team, the position I am weakest at, for depth and upcoming players, is up front. So, I will have to be on the lookout for some real talent up front. Nobody out on loan will go very far, Anelka is a solid 93, but he won't stay there for too long. Negredo may rise to 91 next season if Sevilla improve. Cisse will hit 90 if he can be as good next season; or as I would suspect, he moves to a bigger club. In the youth squad, I can pin my hopes on Erick Torres. He looks like a possible gem, a gem in the way Hernadez has proved to be. I will always regret not buying him after he rose and Tranmere offered him to me. Who likes splashing out on a player who just rose? this was not long before rumours of a move to Manchester United turned out to be true.

Overall, the future looks pretty rosy for Huddersfield Town. I have let go of a number of talented players who may go far sometime in the future. But I have offset that with bringing in players who are highly rated, and should be for a few years yet, and have proven to win games for me. Usually the stronger midfield will win games, and over the course of a season, the strongest defense usually wins championships. There is also the talent still there that will bu up there in 2 or 3 years time; if I'm still around of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are near the half way point, 16 games in, and Huddersfield Town are fourth. A 2-1 win against West Ham came recently, but 4 draws and 2 wins from the last 6 means we are still a ways off the top spot. Forget what I said about Arsenal being the team to beat, Liverpool have won their last 6 games in the league. They have also the meanest defense in the league, only 12 allowed. I am second with 14. But I have only scored 24. That's a wee bit worrying. I am away to Everton in the next game, and I will be playing for 3 points. There is a fairly large gap between 4th and 6th, and I hope it stays that way. The possibility of CL football is being sung around the ground. :D

Some minor players come in, most from Germany's second division. I spent a bit on young Northern Irish player and free agent Josh Carson. 1.6 million was a bit, but I have seen how he has had a great start to his career at Ipswich Town. He will turn 18 in June. Most of the players should see a somewhat decent rise, making it worth signing them, but then they will be sold afterwards. It helps keep my interest in the game. There are no major transfers out, but I will continue selling some players off in drips and drabs.

We have been enjoying full crowds since near the start of the season. I remember talking about how our crowds went down a few thousand thanks to the realistic attendances. Even if I was going up. I don't know how it works exactly, but I would hope that I could get a stadium increase if I can finish the season well high. If the chairman wants me to finish high, and I can do it, then give me something. Cash increases are no good. And even though the end result of a stadium increase is still a bit more money; that's not really why I want it. More for the allure of just plain more having more people come to the stadium and watch the team. I could use a bit of my money towards that. That's an option I'd like to see.

The team is pretty good. I have had the option of improving one aspect of it here and there, and that would mean giving away a replacement nearly as good, and another player who is also very good. It always makes me think a bit, but for now I am in no position to give away 2 starting, or near starting players yet as I don't see any of my youth team, or those out on loan hitting 90 until next season at the earliest. And I have been lucky with injuries. I've had none, and I don't want to be left short. I wouldn't mind if I got more, as long as other teams took a hit. And I even wouldn't mind if I took a big hit and nobody else did. It would make me have to reshuffle a bit more and those points won would seem a whole lot better.

Anyways, the second player, or sometimes first, asked the most often in a deal is Jan Vertonghen. But for me his versatility is his key attribute. I only need him, and not 2 or 3 others. And I have been lucky that I haven't needed him yet. Him playing DM is another boost. I could also see him moving to a certain team in England who could use him a bit. He would have to be someone I keep as long as he keeps his position.

Most starters I have could probably be sold for another, and I don't mind involving a second decent young player, or one out on loan. A few would have to be kept as they will continue to rise, and then at some stage they could go. Unless I could make my team as capable as one of the top 2. Nani is one who will rise again, maybe to 94, and then I would try and get a pair of 91's who are good, or a 91 and 92 or something like that. Coentrao is someone I hit the jackpot with when I signed him. He was a simple riser at the time, and I could have sold him after. But I do keep a few around that I judge are not needed to be sold too soon, and he came good. I would expect him to move somewhere, and he would be someone that can climb further. And he would be someone that's worth 2 good players. Or one very good one, and one other. Something like that.

As it stands, things look rosy for Huddersfield Town. I would have loved to have been able to bid on Reina who was sold very quickly. I would be happy to move on Akinfeev for an older keeper if I could who is in no danger of dropping soon. I have to think that he will want to move at some stage. And now is a good time, 25 is nowhere near old for a keeper, and he will have to want to move abroad and prove himself there. Saying that, I would be reluctant to swap him for at 90 or 91, and there is only 6 other keepers I would swap him for. I should cont myself very luck to have been able to pick up a quality keeper like him. That's all for now folks, you can join me later on the same bat time, the same bat channel. :D;)

A very quick update. The weather is bad, lots of rain and it's still a bit cold. No AC's yet. But the next game against Crewe will be the first time I've met Sean in EC106 in a game. A competitive game. The loss monkey is off my back, and so I feel confident that I can secure the big points. :)

Another noteworthy thing is that Vertonghen hit the magic mark. I put him on a 5 year contract after I saw that Ajax won the league. A few players rose, Kubik +3, Gudelj +4, Nuytinck +3 and a few more at lower rises. Oh and Tadic +1, and a bigger club for him, and ex Liverpool keeper Mihaylov +2. Among a few others. Kieftenbeld only managed a +1 and made me wonder. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, I start with the latest results. I managed to beat my good mate Sean's Crewe 5-4 recently enough. That was the most exciting game I would have been in charge of. :D I lost 0-1 to the most likely team to win the league, Liverpool. They are 7 points or so at the top of the league. But 2 more victories, 3-1 against Manchester United, and 2-5 against Preston has seen me climb back up to second. I am pretty happy with that. I could be the most improved team this season. :D

I also have increased the goalscoring, and I'm still well clear in second behind that Liverpool mob in least goals conceded. But the good thing is that I am starting to score goals as well. Negredo has picked up a load of goals recently just like he is doing it in real life. I am up against a strong Chelsea for the next game, and they have changed manager since I beat them at the beginning of the season. Chelsea walloped a team above me 7-3. I will have to take a different set of tactics against me. On tactic's and formation, I am constantly changing or tweaking them. This has been good for me, as long as the other team doesn't change tack. :D But a lot of teams tend to stick with the same formation for every match, and that may not work in the way as it could. That's fine by me.

Onto a few ratings. As I mentioned in my last quick update, Vertonghen rose to 90. That was half expected, and 100% welcomed. What's more important is that he kept his def position. That is worth 2 players in a way. 3 if you count that he can slot into central midfield. I was surprised that Coentrao rose up to 91. I remember picking him u when he was a wee lad at 83. (That sounds off :D). I will be keeping him for a while; he is sure to join a bigger team next season. A two for him later maybe. ;)

I would like if I could scroll through different rating changes. I only see 3 right now, and there has been a few in the recent weeks. Anywhoo, it wasn't all silk and roses in the ratings change. Pirlo dropped to 92, and I was half expecting that. That makes up in a head wrecking way for Vertonghen rising to 90. I kind of understand why. Pirlo is still a very important player, and a strong midfield will win games. Possession wins.

Lots of minor players come in, as usual. I brought in a few from South Korea and Japan. Those countries have given me good risers in the past. The major player in is Yao Kouassi Gervinho for Andoni Iraola, and a seperate deal of my Schmiedebach for chairman value and, after SMFA intervention, a low rated player. I didn't need Iraola to much with Toure able to play RB, and Vertonghen (who rose to 90 after), and the Spanish RB, Azpilicueta who is 89, and whatever else. The German is due a rise to 88, and should be good for the future. But I am always happy to do some kind of deal with fellow forumers, and thought this deal was pretty decent for me. Gervinho is due a rise to 90, and he can go much further.

Another player that rose was the Portugal international RB, Joao Pereira. He will be available in some kind of a deal. Cash is useless to me, 135 million and a few risers that I could sell for a few bob more. Otamendi rose, and he is one to keep. Dusan Tadic went up, he may be sold. I expected Nagatomo to rise, he didn't this time. Migliaccio had a slight positional change. Mihaylov will be up for sale. A future 89 at least. I am happy that N'Koulou stayed at 87. Ndinga should be safe as well. I have lots more I could say but I have to finish for now. Maybe keep up more regular reports. But keep in mind that Huddersfield Town have players to sell in any kind of a decent deal. :)

All is going spiffingly well at the Galpharm Stadium. I have won my last 4 league games, and those 4 aggregate 13-5. I am scoring goals now, and am still in second with goals conceded behind Liverpool. The goal difference from 44-28 leaves me second behind, yes you guessed it, Liverpool. The top team did manage to lose on Saturday, and leaves 1-5 reading 50, 46, 41, 40, 38. With 23 games gone there is still a long way to go, but I am happy that my time at the top has been very consistent. I have only lost 3 league games out of 23. For some reason, I haven't done well in the cups since I made the top division.

Gervinho rose to 90, Cros rose by 1, Garcia Borja by 2, Abdoul Camara by 1, and Alejandro Arribas by 3. There may be more, but the player changes page is very short. It will be very hard to sell ny of the latter 3, Borja and Arribas are going up to the Spanish first division with Rayo Vallecano, Cros is still very young, and Camara could break through at Rennes next season. But they join many others who I am still deciding on. I will probably have to let go of 10 or 15 players pretty soon. Especially after having signed as many in the last few days.

Loads of minor risers joined. Keep in mind that I sign U21, mostly for the fact that they are away from my first team squad, but also because scouting would take a lot longer if you were looking through all the over 21's playing. Much, much longer. Grigorev, 76, playing a bit for Rostov in Russia. My last season buy, Ionov who went from 82 to 84, is now looking good for a rise to 87. I picked up 2 guys from Brazil, who were well and truly raided even before the season kicked off there. Argentina and Brazil will be tough to sign young players from unless you really concentrate there. Unnerstall joins, he was worth a punt after Neuer moved on. And quite a few players joined from Sweden and Norway. I will assume they will be reviewed half way through their leagues, and hopefully around August or September.

It's the summer and it's an interesting time when we are all looking out for all those moves that will benefit our teams. Dentinho moved to the best team in the Ukraine. It gives me a chuckle, as I remember wondering about which countries have "the" before their name. I was close to selling him at the end of last season, but decided to wait another Brazilian season on him. I am sure he can fit into a team full of Brazilians. I did sell Vila Didac for Jose Recio and 2 million. I was close to selling the young Spaniard a few times before to external. I was happy with that bid. I always enjoy doing an intersting internal bid wherever I can. :)

There are still a few big countries left to be reviewed. Germany has a few including Baumann and Clemens. Spain has a few, and Chile is coming up, and I have quite a few young players there. Who knows which teams come after? Maybe a few second divisions? Either way, there will always be 1 or 2 players to pick up, and I will have more that I will need to move on. A good amount of my loaned out players can move on, along with large tracts of the youth squad. For every time I say I want to cut down on the team, I see players worth picking up. :D

My last game on Wednesday saw be turn over Southampton 1-0 away. This leaves me in second, 2 points off first place, and 6 points ahead of third. Those two teams have a good 3 or 4 over me in the ratings, so I do feel that I am doing a good managing job. Changing and tweaking the formation at the right time has also proved quite fruitful. I have WBA at home next.

Two major transfers in. First of all, David Pizarro joins for Emilio Nsue and Cheikhou Kouyate. Both are good young players, but I don't feel they will be moving on to bigger things anytime soon. Pizarro however, is still a top central midfield player who will add more to my possession game. He takes over from Marchisio for now, although the 25 year old Italian will surely match him for rating next season if he retains a spot in the Italian side, and Juventus push for the CL.

The second player coming in is Bruno Alves for Carlos Marchena and Kader Mangane. Alves has just come off a 10 or 12 week injury at Charlton. :eek: He may not be fit enough for tomorrows game, but may feature off the bench. I am sure he will likely drop to 91, but if he keeps that rating for a long time, it will be a great deal. Marchena was unlucky to drop, and will unlikely rise back up to 91. Mangane was a signing I made from external with 20 other teams trying to get him. I knew he would be useful for a p/e in the future. Alves will add a bit of steel at CB, and hopefully Luiz can rise to 91, and Toure keeps his 91. So a 91, 92, 91 would be good when I play 3 at the back. When I play 4, Toure goes out right, and Coentrao starts out left.

Jozy Altidore joins for 2 risers from external. Living in Boston, I should have 1 American in the team. He is still 21, and I will keep an eye on him to see if he gets any game time in August. Jomar, a young CB for Vasco and Markus Sandberg, a young keeper in Sweden join also. I am also going to sell off a bunch of players to external, and will sift through them and keep ones that have high p/e values, as there are still plenty of players to be picked up. Also, a few players I would sell have changed clubs, this makes me wait a bit. Kubik, 83, goes to Russia. He may get reviewed within a month or 6 weeks, as I assume Russia will be reviewed at the halfway point.

Player concerns is an issue that I will need to resolve in the coming weeks. Most want an increase in wages. Some of those play in Japan and Korea, which are playing now and I can see if they are worth the increase or not. Most are playing in Europe, and I will have to let a few go. And I may let go of 1 or 2 I shouldn't have, but for the most part, I should be okay. As well as upping the wages, there are always a few players out there worth buying. This just adds more strain onto my budget. But I am a long ways away from going into debt. I just wish Higuain was up for 70 million like he was a year ago. :D A few players increased, Recio and Andres up by 2, Raul Rodriguez went up by 5. Munitis dropped by 1.

Zuniga and Pereira are at level 3 for being loaned out. Elias is at level 2. That's not bad as I have 22 players out on loan. Pereira is someone I could get a good p/e for. An international RB of 89 can fetch a good price. Vertonghen is my only player concerned about lack of games. He will get more, especially after rising to 90. Most are concerned about low wages, and Coentrao is on 12.5, Vertonghen who got a rise before his rise to 90, wants 90 wages. Marchisio and Nani are 2 other major players looking for more money. Which they will get when they hit level 4. Loads of good youth players want more money, again I will wait till they hit level 4. Even some who are loaned out, like Makeev and Markovic want an increase. When this season comes to a close I will have a lot of work on my plate. :D

• 3 weeks later...

We are now at the business end of the season. Since my last update on the win over Southampton, things have been going pretty average. W,L,W,L,W,D is how I did in the games since then. But that's fine, top of the table Liverpool have lost 3 as well. It leaves me second, on 59 points compared to 60 for Liverpool. Arsenal are a distant third on 49; I am playing them in the next game though. I am still second in GD to Liverpool, and well on top in having the least goals allowed. The team that has scored the most is in 17th. :eek: Spurs have 67/67. I am 9th in goals scored. But I've heard defense wins titles. :)

Bruno Alves is out for 13 days which is a big blow. But there is cover there, at CB it will be Vertonghen, and there is also Srna and Coentrao for the wing back positions. I never like playing a RB or LB in a 3 man defense, although it's fine on SM. It just does not carry well with me. Alves is the first player I've had out in a long time. I cannot remember anyone else this season. It's funny how it's the player who came off a long, long 10 week injury before I signed him. This is SM, so I'll play him as much as possible. In real life, it would be like handling Paul McGrath. :D

The auld transfers in. 3 major signings come in. Firstly, Loic Remy rejoins the club after a short stint at Norwich. He joins for Joao Pereira and Christian Clemens. Pereira was signed as someone I thought would rise to 89, which he did, and would go on to another club for a better player, which he did. 89 defenders are difficult to sign, over their midfield and forward counterparts. With Clemens, well I knew he was going to rise, but I got the best out of him when I signed him as a 76. :) Remy himself won't go into the team as a starter, but will feature heavily off the bench. Anelka will probably be 92 for some time, and I could always move him on if I need for a better available striker. But his age counts heavily against him in that manner. But I do need better rated strikers to score a few more goals, without giving up on the deadly defense I have.

Secondly in comes Darijo Srna. He comes in for Cesar Azpilicueta. A like for like swap, this also has another deal attached to it. As much as keeping the younger player would be good, I am in the position of needing the goods right now. I am not sure when the Spaniard will be ready to play next season. But I am happy to pick up a top drawer RB for him. I am erring on playing a 3 man CB formation. Remember when I discounted that after my first season in the top flight. :D He will be used, but I would also use him in a transfer to a safe 91/92 CB if I could. It depends on how many times I play 4 at the back.

Thirdly in comes in Kostas Katsouranis. I sold him very cheap to Rochdale the last time as I had other players about in his position. And I was not happy when nobody wanted to make a decent bid for him off the TL. But right now, he will provide ample cover for CB, or the DM spot I sometimes use. He will get his fair share of games next season when I am in the cups, and touch wood, the CL. I payed my max for him, and they were two players with really high CV, and 1.3 million. In fact buying in players who have a very high CV from the other team is key to bringing in other players. It's not something I would want to do, but that's more to the fact that I have a pretty big squad already. And those players don't come around all that often. A good example happened today. I lost out on a 75 because the CV of my 75 offered, wasn't good enough. If I had a 75 rated player from the bottom club in the 4th division of a major league or the lowest team in a minor league to offer, the CV would be much larger. Basically, spend 1 to 1.5 million on basic and random 75 rated players at clubs you've never heard of, and you'll be well set when the time comes to win a bidding war on the new player screen. :D

Also in comes Mario Gaspar for what may be a club spending cash record of 17.3 million. Money means nothing to me this season. I learned pretty quickly since last season when Higuain went up for 70 million. Having bundles of cash can be good. :D I'm sure Gaspar will be an 89/90 rated player this time next year. And I'm sure I could sell him for a lot more. I also expect him to get a look into by the national team. He is definitely one for the near future. And if I go back to playing 4 at the back, he will suit well. He makes up for the loss of Azpilicueta. :)

As always, a few minor players join, most notably Thilo Leugers among others. He is sure to be a starter for Twente next season. He cost 2 players, but I'm sure he'll be worth it. In transfers out, Carlos Labrin and Jan Kirchoff join Southend for 6 and 3.2 million. Labrin is a Palermo player, but I have doubts on him playing there, and Kirchoff is someone I signed for 1.2 million a few months before from Southend. I don't believe he will be the starting CB for Mainz next season. Otherwise I wouldn't be selling these kinds of top club in Europe players. Neto, the Fiorentina keeper joins Norwich for 6 million. I paid 200k for him. And after a long time of having him, Santos Zezinho joins for 3 million. I remember buying him a long time ago for 2 million and a 78.

Anyways, that's a wrap. I could go on about a few players that rose, but there were no major ones from the top of my head. Other than a +10 for Cordoba. :D I will be looking forward to the result from my away game against Arsenal on Saturday. A point would be decent. It's funny how my standards have shot up since the beginning of the year. Their team has 3 ratings over me so the draw would be nice. Here's to an Huddersfield Town win, with a clean sheet, and plenty of goals. :D

• 3 weeks later...

As always it's supremely hot this summer, and today it's gone above 100 here, and I'm near the sea. Drive inland and it's much worse. Anyways, I have 2 games left to go and I'm still in the drivers seat. Most importantly, my last game is against Liverpool but I have 4 points over them. So a win tomorrow will win the championship outright. I have purged the thoughts of the last game deciding the league. I have been beaten away by Liverpool 1-0 this season, and I don't fancy them for my final game. Crewe, formerly Sean's well built and oiled machine, is the opponent, and with a new manager there, they have won most of their available league points. I am 73, Liverpool 69, and Crewe are a distant third on 58. My GD is solid at 27 to 22 for Liverpool if it comes down to that, at least. But no more talk of that, a win tomorrow will do fine. :)

On the transfers front, I am happy to announce that I managed to capture my favourite Liverpool player, Steven Gerrard from Manchester United. The former manager was understandably bored with a team where he couldn't get good deals for all his great players, so he joined a division 4 team when the chance came up. There will be much more fun to be had there as opposed to sitting midtable in the first division. Anyways, the fee was Michael Carrick (joined last season for Schennikov and Van Wolfswinkel), and Yuto Nagamoto. The new manager put Gerrard on the TL, I put in a message, and he needed a replacement, and a LB to cover for Evra's injury. That's a good deal, even if the Japanese player rise's further at Inter. :)

It worked out, in his first game, after being made captain, Gerrard was MOTM, and scored a hatrick. :D I was well pleased at that. The goals were against Everton, and I was thinking that there must be a few unknown factors in the SM engine giving real life players an ability to play extra well like they would do in real life. I doubt the engine can be that sophisticated, but it would add a nice touch to picking your team.

As usual, many good young players joined, low rated players from Norway and Sweden, the US and Brazil among others. Nothing major. Some may not feature next season, like Fellipe Bastos, 82, for Benfica, or Marco Hoger, 83, for Schalke. Most come from countries where the league is going strong. Leandro Castan, 84, is a strong CB for Corinthians who should see an imminent rise to 86. A lot of incoming players come in for players with outgoing players will stupidly high p/e values. Why sell a player for 2.8 million when you can get 7.8 million for him in a p/e. In fact, that's a flaw I could use if I wanted to to bring in any new player worth shelling out for.

I've been selling a few players out, and am always looking for a nice internal deal. A few players have gone to Southend, like Carlos Labrin for 6 million. He will be with Palermo next season. And Fabian for the same amount. Or Norwich, with Neto of Fiorentina joining for 6 million. I sold Arnautovic to Notts County for 7 million recently. All good players, but I have no need of keeping some of them, unless I feel they will hit the big time. I would prefer more internal deals to be done, even if cash is pretty much useless to me. I would be happy to spend some money on making the stadium bigger, even if its to meet the same end. Making more money.

Buying risers and a few players who may go far is one of the most, if not the, most interesting aspect on SM still. Which is why that for every player I may sell, I will see someone else worth buying. Just wait until the major leagues kick off again, I will be having a quick look and try and predict who may be worth signing even after only a game or two. In my mind, they usually start, and stay as starters rather than cover for an injury say. It's like gambling, except I'm not giving away a whole lot. :D

The end of the season will see me trying to sell a good amount of players. I have 1 or 2 up now, including the low rated Napoli RB. A few of the on loan guys can go, and then a bunch of youth players. P/e's for other youth is always preferred over cash. But if I am selling for cash, then I will make a realistic deal. I'm not giving away players if I can help it. For example, Katsouranis who went for 6 million the last time I had him. I will use him next season for the cups, and if I want to sell him, a bigger cash amount, or a p/e of a half decent youth or two would be fairer. Fair enough, not showing any preference.

I will be looking to build on this season's success. I may need another CB, perhaps another CM rated 92+. I will always be on the lookout for any players who will take a starting position in my team without me giving up too much. Saying that, I don't want to be a Darlington and not sell anyone. I've got to find that nice medium. I don't want loads of players out on loan if I can use them in a 2 or 3 for 1 deal. But the season still has a bit to go, so I'll see a bit better then. One thing I hate is when teams list a player for a cash price, which I meet, but they do not respond. I know boxes become full, but ignoring the bid, after a week or 10 days I would give them, isn't much good. Anyways. here's to tomorrow. The champagne is at the ready just in case. :P

Those last 2 games went well for me. An away win at a very good Crewe side, and a 1-0 win over second placed Liverpool. After the Crewe game, I found out I had won the league through Liverpool losing. They have been on a horrendous finish to the season, which I never would have foreseen. In the last month, since June 29, they lost 6 out of 9, winning 3. In that same period, I drew 3, winning 6. I was lucky not to pick up any major injuries, apart from Alves for a few weeks, who was himself missing for 10/12 weeks before I signed him. Liverpool were not so lucky, they were missing players for the recent while. I was always taking a peak through the last 8 or 10 games.

The margin of winning came down to 10 points. A big surprise, I was thinking I could miss out by 1 or 2. And I was also thinking the last game would be the decider, and I would draw or lose when I needed to win. So when the last game came up, and I had won, there was no way I was going to play an experimental side. I lost once one nil, and so I was determined that I would prove myself as champion by beating the second placed team, who had done me over before. I didn't want to say I was the best, after losing twice to the next best team. If I had lost, I would be making a less triumphant post in my blog. I may have felt a little bit lucky. I don't after beating them.

In those last two games I scored 3 goals. Anelka scored them. Now this is a game and all that, and next season he may not score many. But my, do I have to show a little bit of loyalty now as I was thinking of selling him next season if I brought in another 91+ striker. Now I'm thinking, would another striker be able to have done as well. Maybe yes, and better, but I like to keep that nice feeling going, that schoolboy fantasy football feeling. Like this is real life. He has done enough to secure another season. He was also born in my year. :D As I am sure, nobody would be wanting him if I was selling, he's too old. Most managers want players under 28. In real life, I'm not sure how much he will play, but he will play a bit, and should be safe at 92. In the game here, 37(6), 19, 16, 8 MOTM, average 7.67. And 7 yellow cards show he put heart into his game, making him, Huddersfield Town's player of the season. :)

No major players in or out, just bits and pieces here and there. 82 rated keeper, Oleksandr Rybka joins. He is the new Shaktar keeper, and will get a big rise to 85/86 if he stays as the starter. I am in negotiations for other players, and hopefully before the start of the new season I will bring in 1 or 2 good starting players. I am shifting between 2 different setups, which has served me greatly, so I'm not sure on which positions I am aiming for, as it's pretty good all over. There's no need of a RB, or a left winger. Speaking of wingers, Cazorla has joined Malaga. I don't think his rating will be in question as I see them having a good season and being up in the top 6. Not the top 2 however. But it's not as bad as moving to the Middle East. :D

Now onto teams of the season. I have 2 different formations, 451 and 352 that I use. The important thing is having a midfield presence to win possession. I would be scared to try and play the normal 442. That 352 is not a realistic formation, not in the sense of playing 3 true defenders, and 5 true midfielders. But it works on SM. :confused: Anyways, I will do the 451 and 352 together. With subs.

GK, Igor Akinfeev, 38 played, 6.95. Nothing to special.

RB, Andoni Iraola, 17(5), 1,0,0, 7.37. He has been long sold to Hull, and I used a lot of 352 until Srna came in.

LB, Fabio Coentrao, 33(6), 1,3,0, 6.99. Not the best stats, but a very sellable player in the future if I have too.

CB, Kolo Toure, 25(3), 2,0,0, 7.18. Two good young players went for him, Poli and Bocchetti. I went for that higher rating at the back.

CB, David Luiz, 32(1), 1,0,1, 7.17. A player I signed when I was on holidays up the mountains in March. The weather was very warm too. This is a transfer that dragged on a bit. He will rise at Chelsea.

CB, Carlos Marchena, 22(3), 0,1,0, 7.12. He was sold on with Mangane for Bruno Alves. I did not think he would have dropped to 91, and would have kept him if he stayed 91.

Sub Defender, Jan Vertonghen, 18(6),1,0,2, 7.33. He is someone who is handy on the bench, and played a bit at CB. I can see him move to a bigger club like Arsenal soon enough.

Winger, Luis Nani, 37(2), 5,8,2, 7.13. He got 9 yellows. Another top talent who may fetch a good deal if I sell him on. Also a great signing for what I paid. Hope for more next season.

Winger, Santi Cazorla, 38(2), 2,5,3, 7.36. Gone to Malaga, but should be good at 91. One to fish around with maybe? Signed for cash, Obafemi Martins and Karim Ziani. Good deal.

CM, Michael Carrick, 33(4), 3,3,1, 7.31. He moved in the deal for Gerrard. He did fine, but Gerrard is the man. :D

CM, Andrea Pirlo, 35(1), 6,9,3, 7.46. Perhaps my best midfielder all season. I would think he can retain his 92, and it should be 93, all season.

CM, Claudio Marchisio, 34(7), 7,6,2, 7.37. Another who could be my best midfielder. Still a regular for his countries squad, I expect him to make 91 sooner rather than later. An 11 million bargain.

Midfield Sub, David Pizarro, 15(2), 3,2,1, 7.25. Signed for Emilio Nsue and Cheikhou Kouyate. 2 guys who won't touch 90 for a long time if ever. And the reason I have decent youth. To spend on better players.

Forward, Nicolas Anelka, 37(6), 19,16,8, 7.67. Player of the year. And with those kind of stats, hopefully similar next season. Signed for an 89 rated Loic Remy (I didn't see him rising or else I would have kept him), 89 rated Cardoso Tiago, and 4 million. It's worked out well now.

Forward, Alvaro Negredo, 27(2), 8,4,3, 7.10. He got two red cards also. But his run at his real life club last season was deadly. I thought he could sneak a 91. Let's hope so this new season.

Sub Forward, nobody really, Cisse and the return of Remy to a team that mostly plays 1 up front has meant they don't see much action. Both are good players to keep, I was thinking that Remy would take over from Anelka at some stage, but not in the form Anelka has been on. :)

That's that for now. It's very tiring doing that, and I was aiming to do other stuff as well. Maybe I will for the next blog. Well, as they said, tune in to the same bat time, the same bat channel. :D

• 2 weeks later...

The new season is upon us. A season where there was no end of season awards, but one where I would have liked to have won 1 or 2 awards. Anyway's, it doesn't bother me too much. :P It's hot, and a new season is upon us. The Shield went by and I beat Preston NE, 2-1 to win. It's not anything important but it was nice to win with my second team.

Anyways, the big signing was Theo Walcott for Elia, Erick Torres and 3 million. This transfer came under a wee bit of scrutiny on the thread. The truth is that this transfer went down ages ago when I got Srna, and wether who got the better deal doesn't matter to me as Srna was a big part in me winning division 1. I don't see a whole lot of difference, but I know Walcott has the ability. The young Mexican is someone who I feel is at least a year of making it bigger. A year here is a long time. The ratings don't lie.

I'm always happier making internal deals, and was happy to pick up Marco D'Allesandro from Northampton Town for 5 million. He is not someone I would expect to rise much, but I expect him to pick up a few appearances at a team he may be loaned out to. From Roma. I do want to spend a few bob on okay youth players from managed clubs.

The Sweden and Norway changes have come up. I've done very well so far, +7 for Milosevic and +6 for Sana. Bangura of AIK went up from 75 to 84. He has 17/20 started, with 7 goals. That is a big frickin rise. I have a Bangura from the same team who recently joined Buraspor. He played 17/20 for the same team, AIK, and scored 15 goals. My luck that his compatriot gets a big rise and my man has to wait for Turkey. Oh the joys of SM. My man should get 85 at least then. :) I doubt it. Maybe the Bangura's got mixed up.

That's it I guess. I'm waiting for my first league game against Manchester United. I'm not one for believing in omens or the ilk, but my first game of last season was against Manchester United. And I lost heavily enough to them, but went on to win the league. Well, right now I am believing in omens. :) Come on Huddersfield Town, lets make it a second title in 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright lads and ladies, the season is now 4 games in and I lie in 8th. A loss, a draw and 2 games won see me with a +2 in goals. Early days so far. At home to Manchester City tomorrow, who are in 5th. None of my strikers have scored so far, but I have 2 from Gerrard and Pirlo.

The sqaud valuation is dropping as I am selling players, and it's now at 516 million I think. The valuation did rise after Sweden and Norway were reviewed by a good 15 million or so. I am in the process of selling a few heads and keep the squad lower. At 142 it is high, but a good bit lower than its peak. I hope to have it nearer 100 at the end of the season. I make it harder when I scout about and find a bunch of players worth signing :)

Nothing major came in, mostly a few from Sweden and Norway who were due a rise. Kim Ojo came in late for a million and rose 4, Mark O' Brien joined for 557. He has my surname and will see a big rise at Derby. Happy days.Affolter joins for 2 million and Manoel. The Swiss man who is only 20 should go onto bigger things than playing in Switzerland. Like I said, a lot of players who I don't know yet. How they will play as they haven't played yet!

Players out were few. I'm culling 15 million or so from my squad. I will cull a good few million more after. I like to see internal teams buy from me rather than me sell to external. Sandomierski joins Southend for 4 million, but cost only 550k. Souza Welinton joined for 5 million. Cheap as chips when he is a starter for Flamengo. Ndinga joined Watford for 7 million. I cannot understand why nobody would have went for him. Also going to Watford, and not is Migliaccio for very cheap as well. 6.4 million, and the second keeper for Freiburg, Daniel Batz. I love letting players go to clubs who will use them, just please do not send me strange messages which make me think I've done something wrong.

As always a few players are shortlisted. But as I am not on everyday I miss a few good young players who are new to the shortlist. And in many cases, I won 't have the dough to spend on them anyways. The best hope is picking up non-English new players. And to do what Southend do. But anyways, good luck this new season that anyone in 106 who reads this could do. :)

• 1 month later...

It has been about 5 weeks since the last update so I thought I'd put one in. I am in a similar position to this time last season. 4th with 15 games gone. 27 points. And 35 for with 19 against. I am scoring more, but letting a few more in than this time last season. My G/D is better. So things are a bit better. I am also still in the cups and have strong teams for both league and cups. I am still 7 points off Manchester United. But I am more confident with this team than last years team and there is one big difference.

Onto transfers in. And the biggest one since my last update is Joe Hart has come in for Igor Akinfeev. The Russian played the first 8 league games, and my games were 11-11, and he had 6.33. With Hart in goals it is 23-8 in 7 league games with an average of 7.43. Hart is slightly better at keeping clean sheets, but with him in I score more. And it must somehow rub off on the team I'd like to think. :D I had seen Gozzy mentioning Hart could go in the prior season, and even though he did a bit below average for a keeper last season, even with the meanest defense, I decided to give him a few games. When I saw how poor he was, I put in a message to the Plymouth manager. He wasn't cheap but he was worth it.

The fee was Akinfeev, Konoplyanka (who has a great future in the game and even though I wanted to keep him I knew Gozzy was an admirer). Then there was me selling Mario Gaspar (who at 17.3 million was a big cash signing, but cash is no problem since the days of Higuain been available for 70 million), for either cash, or cash and a few youngsters. I chose the latter. 4 million, Davy Propper who is 82 and should move up to 84/85, and Edu Ramos who recently moved from Malaga to Villarreal and is rated 78. He's one to keep for the long term, ie, 2 years or more.

Loads of youth players and a few good older ones came in since. Adam Maher, 75, should see a big rise past 80 to 82 maybe and more beyond. Jeff Hendrick joins Mark O' Brien, and both should hit 80 from 75. Jordy Clasie, 80, joins from Feyenoord and should hit 83 and more. 2 players who are playing every game at Real Sociedad and are 78 come in. Lucas Ocampos is playing every game at River Plate, and is a 17 year old rated 75. Giampiero Pinzo who is 88 comes in as cover if needed, and is a starter at Udinese and could rise during the season. Loads others, but they were a few I like the most. Loads of players went out for them.

Players I sold for cash were the 2 Hong players who for some reason I sold shortly before they were both to rise from 82 to 84. I don't know why but it doesn't really matter. Daniel Wass went for 4 million, as he's not doing much out on loan right now and I am always trying to cut down on the team even as I add to it. Delvin Ndinga, 87, joins Watford for 7 million. And the same fee for Juan Zuniga, who is starting more it seems than last season and is only 87. Giulio Migliaccio went to Watford for 6.4 million and Freiburg's second keeper, Daniel Batz, who is only 72. Those 3 went cheaply and will rise in the future. But I didn't want to keep hold of them only to send them out on loan. Aleksey Ionov joins Leyton Orient for 5.5 million, and the same fee comes in from Birmingham for Pierrick Cros. Ionov should rise again, slowly if he gets more starts at Zenith. Pierrick could be a starter for Sochaux next season, but I wouldn't bet on it.

With the new season well underway in Europe, I will see who from my squad can possibly rise. In goals, Hart has a good chance of a rise to 92. Mihaylov should hit 88 and 89 after. Rybka will see a big rise to 86 I think. The biggest keeper to rise will be Colin Coosemans from 78 to 83/84.

In defense, Coentrao could rise, and David Luiz has an outside chance if he can get more games under his belt. Leandro Castan should rise by 2. Mark O' Brien, my surname too, should rise by 5. Mathiey Peybernes, 78 of Sochaux (who have the worst defensive record in France) has been ever present in defense and should rise to 82. It could be more if Sochaux improve. If Otamendi gets a good run of games he is in with a shout.

In midfield, Marchisio would be a safe bet right now for a rise to 91. He should be a possible future captain for Huddersfield Town. Nani has a decent shot at hitting 93. If Brama was in the Holland squad I would say he has a chance, but he's not. Giampiero Pinzo of Udinese could hit 89. Marco Hoger should hit 83 from 86. Jordy Clasie should rise 3 to 83. Adam Maher will get a big rise from 75. Jeff Hendrick, like O' Brien, will rise to 80 from 75.

Up front, Remy and Negredo have decent chances of rising to 91 at some stage this season. If Freiburg improve and Cisse scores plenty more, he has a small chance of a rise to 90. Jozy Altidore has a chance to rise to 86.

There's more at the lower ratings who will rise. And there were many big risers like Teteh Bangura, Yuji Ono, Oscar Hiljemark, Alexander Milosevic and others that came recently. I will be keeping my eyes out for more. :)

• 1 month later...

It's been too long since the last update. Sometimes I just find that I don't want to bother anymore seeing as nothing happens on the thread much. I feel that I should still try and stick in a shift to try and keep some kind of allure on the old girl. :D But there have been times when teams have been available for days without getting picked up. And now there are new EC's to join that seem to be good every fortnight or so. :(

I will start with how the team are doing. I wish there was a way of comparing your team in the league and cups over the last few seasons. But last season after 23 games I was on 46 points. I am on 48 points now, but my g/d is a lot higher than it was last season, at 60/36. I have the second best defensive record. I am in 4th right now, with 29 games and 48 points leaving me 9 points behind the top 2, Manchester United and Liverpool. But the good news is that I'm in the Shield final next monday, and got to the quarters in the Cup. This is turning out to be a decent season, although the league is nearly certainly gone.

The major players that came in are...

Too many to talk about. :D There were a bunch of players with concerns about, and as I had well over 200 million, I thought I would put my money to use. I will start with the minor players brought in like, Richard Sukuta-Pasu for 4.1, Kevin Wolze for 2.1, Brek Shea for 7.4 and Luc Casnos for 12.8.

The major players to come in from concerns were, Javier Zanetti for 21.4, Oscar Cardozo for 26.3, Dejan Stankovic for 21.8 and Esteban Cambiasso for 71.3. The last guy I had bidded on for at half that price, but his transfer did not go through as quick as others, and so other teams jumped on him. He came from a team that had Pepe the CB, and RVP going. I did not think I would have won the other 2 going by all the bids, and went for Cambiasso. I was wrong, I would have been able to pay 50 million for the Arsenal man, and I may have gotten Pepe, at around 50 million also. I'm not sure as the bid would have won or lost by relative pennies. Overall, I'm happy to add midfield steel for a mahoosive price. Although, 35 miilion would have been better. :D Ah, it's only useless cash.

I signed other players as well. The biggest was Alex Song for Jan Vertonghen and Moritz Leitner. Those two I would still keep, but a player like Song was a fair price for them. He will play in the CB and DM and CM positions at different times. And truth be told, I like 91 rated players, as there are many times more who are 90, and don't rise from it.

Coming in for Kolo Toure, who I feel is down for a -1, and I don't want a 90 rated CB, was Fernando Amorebeita, who could appear in the WC with Venezuela and can become a 90 rated CB, as well as the US player, Timothy Chandler who will rise by two I guess. I was happy with that deal, although I would have liked to have moved on Toure in a 2 for 1 for someone else. But I am thinking this deal may turn out to be one of my best in a year or two.

As always, bunches of players join, all of whom rise at some stage or another. Pinzi of Udinese may rise, he will go once his TB is over. Della Rocca, Denis Odoi (who I had before) came in and rose +2, Omer Bayram +5, Stefanos Kapinos, Piccoli Neuton from Watford, Agon Mehmeti (at Juventus I think but at Malmo on SM), Jeremy Perbet +3 and loads others came in. Loads of players went out, including Oliver Baumann to Watford for nearly 8.8 million. I have a bunch of good keepers coming up, so I he could go. I have an 11 million bid in for a player right now. ;)

That's a quick update. Hopefully there will be one after next Monday's Shiel final against Preston North End. :)