Anyone nearly made it professional?

pro footie

i nearly played pro football.played sunday afternoon football when my mate said we r short of players will u play for us.i said yes but to my surprise the chief scout of chesterfield came to watch.i normally play midfield but when we got to the ground we were playing we were short of a center half.the manager asked me will i play there i said yes.i had a very good game untill the 65 min when the manager pulled me off.the chief scout went up to the manager and asked why he pulled me off,and he said i have to give other players a run out but the scout said well he was having a good game we was winning 2-0.we lost 3-2 afterthat i never played again for that team.i also nearly had a trial with leeds but my my trial was ready i was injured for a few months so nothing came of it.but i did forfill my ambition of playing at the baseball ground [derby] before they pulled it down.i was 35 i didnt realize i was that fit.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anyone nearly made it professional?

I play at centre-back, well more of a sweeper role, so its not the easiest position to play when aiming to get picked up by the big clubs. Im at Tonbridge Angels, a semi-professional side in England (they are just outside of the English Professional Football League) and I am biding my time, waiting for the opportunity. I am confident that I can play at the highest level too. Sorry if that sounds arrogant lol.

But since this thread is about professional football, Im looking for advice - should I trial for the local London acadamy sides or should I concentrate on school and get a Football Scholarship to an American University? Any thoughts?

If we talk people from our schools, David Cotterill was brought through the training ranks from my school as part of the Bristol City academy team, they use our school to train players as well, rumours are he was trained at my school.

Not meaning to go off the point, but if you're talking other sports, when I was in my younger years, there was a rumour going around sprinter Darren Campbell went to my school

I played with Heart of Midlothian from aged 9-14 and then was released because of my height.

I am now playing for Dunfermline Athletic at under 15 level and I am very hopeful of being kept on to play at under 17 level.

And talking about people going to schools..

Gordon Durie played in the school team with my dad, at my current school.

Stephen Hendry also went to my high school, along with Steven Pressley I think. They have them up in the school library but im off for exams so i haven't been in..

I played with Heart of Midlothian from aged 9-14 and then was released because of my height.

I am now playing for Dunfermline Athletic at under 15 level and I am very hopeful of being kept on to play at under 17 level.

Gordon Durie played in the school team with my dad' date=' at my current school.

Stephen Hendry also went to my high school, along with Steven Pressley I think. They have them up in the school library but im off for exams so i haven't been in..[/quote']

Rosc!!! Maybe we can get you on SM!!!! ha ha ha

Some Port Vale youth player (under 17 I think) who I can't remember the name of, offered to persuade his coach to get me a trial at Vale Park as a keeper a few years ago. I knew I was never going to be good enough to reach the top (meaning my brain can earn me far more money than football ever will) so I told him I wasn't interested. It never went any further than that.

I'm in America so things for me are quite different than in England. I'm 17 and when I was about 12-15 I was on our Olympic Development team. That's basically when the best youth premier clubs are scouted and the kids hat are chosen go through trials lasting forever, I would know lol, until they pick out the final bunch of kids. I know for a fact that we had Everton scouts and another smaller english clubs' at some practices and what not.

i was playing sunday football. I was a left mid and had been told had some good quality, i was goin to trial at reading when they opened their doors to the public to go along as they were lookign for young talent, but i didnt get in it was too full. I did however nearly have a week trial at southampton but they said competition was very hard and the chances of being picked werent that high so i decided against it as i didnt want to be dissapointed! I chose to study music at college instead and am a semi pro guitarist now woop lol

Was never that good at Footie.

But i have played with alot of players considering i never played at a high level at all.

Mostly lads that live naer me here.

Ronan Finn : Currently playing with UCD in the Irish Premier League. f/am

Barry Fergerson* With Bohs in irish Prem league. CB (Kunt) :) really he is.

Morgan Cranley GK former Shels u-21 keeper

David Broderick -Former u-21 Shels player also (played with him for club)

Carl Moore : w/f ,played for Man city in youth final when they lost to pool last year (not sure if hes still there)

Tell them they made a mistake a become a scotish international ;)

Can you imagine Saviola & owen getting rejected like that :eek:

Frank Stapleton went to my Secoundry School

Gordon Durie played in the school team with my dad' date=' at my current school.

Stephen Hendry also went to my high school, along with Steven Pressley I think. They have them up in the school library but im off for exams so i haven't been in..[/quote']

my dad used to play for APOEL nicosia in cyprus and a norwegian team im not sure what team but trosmo is coming to my head he was also a goalie but my grandad used to be a fox in the box for olympiakos in a van nistelrooy sort of role lol.

im a good player but im no where near fit enough (due to smoking) to play properly i.e sunday league to have a chance at getting scouted so i never bothered

• 1 month later...

I was on a YTS at Dundee United, later played for Kelty and Bathgate at junior level, where I was paid, yet it doesn't count as professional.

Got disillusioned with the game, took up Rugby and American Football - now a GB international at the latter.

My claim to fame is that back in high school I was sent off for kicking former Scotland international Gareth Williams 4ft up in the air after he hacked down my mate. Needless to say, I was the midfield enforcer.

Have met many professional footballers, including Jackie McNamara who is distantly related to my girlfriend (her cousin married his brother), and I went out on a 2-day bender with Bobby Despotovski, at that time of Perth Glory (guessing he must be retired by now) when I was in Australia.