Does The Match Engine Need a Revamp

Toonfanforlife

Does The Match Engine Need a Revamp  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

Re: Does The Match Engine Need a Revamp

i play decent tactics (imo)' date=' always play players in their favoured positions, play a team that is fit as i can put out. i must say i do quite well, beating teams of higher rating regularly because i follow these rules. tactics are surely the most important thing as a manager? a good manager will get the best out of his players.

most of u lot think that because u hav a top class team, u should win every game. what a load of XXXX. if that was the case, all of us at a club where the ave rating is 90 or below, may as well give up! instead of being on here moaning, why dont u look at your tactics and think about what u might b doing wrong?!?[/quote']

Just to make it clear, mine is a Borussia Dortmund side in Div. 2 of a custom setup. My first XI has an average rating of 90, and I can name at least 4 sides in the same division that are much, much more stronger than mine. Like you, I too play my players in their primary positions only, and only play those who are 94% fit and above.

You ask us 'moaners' to start introspecting & get our tactics right. Let me give you the most recent example of why I feel sound tactics don't matter much.

My team was playing away at Celtic (avg. rating 88) in the first game of the season. The Celtic manager hadn't even logged in since he'd taken over, and so they were using default tactics & a 4-4-2 formation, with a CB at RB, 2 CBs rated 84 & 87 (against my strikers rated 91 & 89), a winger at CM & a CM at LM.

I used a 4-3-1-2 with attacking mentality, normal tackling, fast tempo, short passing, thru the middle, pressing all over, play offside (his strikers were rated 89 & 87; my full-backs were both 89s & centre-backs, 90s), use playmaker (Gourcuff). I didn't use tight marking as I'd conceded 61 goals when I used it the previous season.

On paper, it looked like it'd be a comfortable win for me; my belief was that my full-backs would neutralize his wide men, my CBs were too strong for his strikers, and his 2-man central midfield (that included a winger) would be no match for my 3-man superior-rated one (consisting of 2 CM/DMs & a CM). Plus, my AM would be unmarked, and as the playmaker, be free to wreak havoc upon that tattered, weak defence along with my strikers (including the previous season's top scorer, Petric).

Final score : Celtic 3-0 Borussia Dortmund. :eek::confused::o

One of their scorers was their 87-rated striker; another, their winger playing as a CM. :rolleyes:

Stats :

Possession : 55-45

Total shots : 19-10 (19 shots with a normal mentality, 10 with attacking. Okay...)

Shots on goal : 5-10. :o

The worst thing is, this is not an isolated case. I have lost count of the no : of times such 'upsets' have happened to me as well as other managers regardless of your tactics, formation, form, rating, etc. This game now resembles a lottery rather than one involving tactical outmanoeuvering. What fun is it to play week-in, week-out, knowing that all your tactical mastery & squad rotation to keep players fit is of little use against the caprices of the match engine? :mad:

Just to make it clear' date=' mine is a Borussia Dortmund side in Div. 2 of a custom setup. My first XI has an average rating of 90, and I can name at least 4 sides in the same division that are much, much more stronger than mine. Like you, I too play my players in their primary positions only, and only play those who are 94% fit and above.

You ask us 'moaners' to start introspecting & get our tactics right. Let me give you the most recent example of why I feel sound tactics don't matter much.

My team was playing away at Celtic (avg. rating 88) in the first game of the season. The Celtic manager hadn't even logged in since he'd taken over, and so they were using default tactics & a 4-4-2 formation, with a CB at RB, 2 CBs rated 84 & 87 (against my strikers rated 91 & 89), a winger at CM & a CM at LM.

I used a 4-3-1-2 with attacking mentality, normal tackling, fast tempo, short passing, thru the middle, pressing all over, play offside (his strikers were rated 89 & 87; my full-backs were both 89s & centre-backs, 90s), use playmaker (Gourcuff). I didn't use tight marking as I'd conceded 61 goals when I used it the previous season.

On paper, it looked like it'd be a comfortable win for me; my belief was that my full-backs would neutralize his wide men, my CBs were too strong for his strikers, and his 2-man central midfield (that included a winger) would be no match for my 3-man superior-rated one (consisting of 2 CM/DMs & a CM). Plus, my AM would be unmarked, and as the playmaker, be free to wreak havoc upon that tattered, weak defence along with my strikers (including the previous season's top scorer, Petric).

[u']Final score[/u] : Celtic 3-0 Borussia Dortmund. :eek::confused::o

One of their scorers was their 87-rated striker; another, their winger playing as a CM. :rolleyes:

Stats :

Possession : 55-45

Total shots : 19-10 (19 shots with a normal mentality, 10 with attacking. Okay...)

Shots on goal : 5-10. :o

The worst thing is, this is not an isolated case. I have lost count of the no : of times such 'upsets' have happened to me as well as other managers regardless of your tactics, formation, form, rating, etc. This game now resembles a lottery rather than one involving tactical outmanoeuvering. What fun is it to play week-in, week-out, knowing that all your tactical mastery & squad rotation to keep players fit is of little use against the caprices of the match engine? :mad:

No wonder you lost, your tactics are shocking! Fast tempo and short passing dont work together, the players lose the ball far too often and with you playing through the middle your players would get congested and make lots of mistakes, thats why you lost out on posession., and with an attacking stlye of play your players are always up the pitch, leaving a normal mixed play to pick up the pieces of your players mistakes and walk into your defense with the whole power of their midfield and attack, your players will also get tired quicker due to them running around like headless chickens with a fast play always chasing the ball and then all over pressing trying to always win it back, its non stop for your players, I think your trying too hard. You deserved to lose that game imo

No wonder you lost' date=' your tactics are shocking! Fast tempo and short passing dont work together, the players lose the ball far too often and with you playing through the middle your players would get congested and make lots of mistakes, thats why you lost out on posession., and with an attacking stlye of play your players are always up the pitch, leaving a normal mixed play to pick up the pieces of your players mistakes and walk into your defense with the whole power of their midfield and attack, your players will also get tired quicker due to them running around like headless chickens with a fast play always chasing the ball and then all over pressing trying to always win it back, its non stop for your players, I think your trying too hard. You deserved to lose that game imo[/quote']

:confused:

I've used similar tactics with a 3-4-1-2 that I use for 'firefighting', and they've bailed me out on a no : of occasions.

No short, quick passing, no play concentrated through the middle, no attacking mentality, no pressing all over - how would you have handled it, then? Tell me; I'm genuinely curious.

:confused:

I've used similar tactics with a 3-4-1-2 that I use for 'firefighting'' date=' and they've bailed me out on a no : of occasions.

No short, quick passing, no play concentrated through the middle, no attacking mentality, no pressing all over - how would you have handled it, then? Tell me; I'm genuinely curious.[/quote']

I keep everything normal and mixed with 3-5-2, pressing all over, after 75 mins if losing or drawing I go 3-4-1-2 attacking, fast tempo, still with mixed everything else, if winning I go 4-5-1 defensive, slow tempo, men behind ball.

I won 14 games out of 18 last season. lost 1.

I'm pretty sure fast tempo and short passing are quite a normal thing in football........the post 2 above mine is exactly right (I forgot to quote) its random, its all to do with luck as to whether, "you picked the right formation" and if the game considers your formation better than the other teams. Theres no point in ratings tbh then is there? I'm not complaining because a team with a lower rating beat mine, I'm complaining because while I actually put in the effort to do my tactics, and sort out all of the substitutions and temp etc, the other team was unmanaged, didnt even have players in proper positions, had a rating of 91 compared to my 96......that doesnt make sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep everything normal and mixed with 3-5-2' date=' pressing all over, after 75 mins if losing or drawing I go 3-4-1-2 attacking, fast tempo, still with mixed everything else, if winning I go 4-5-1 defensive, slow tempo, men behind ball.

I won 14 games out of 18 last season. lost 1.[/quote']

I like your line of thinking boabalmighty. Do you conceed a lot of goals using 3 defenders? Also, do you click any of the boxes, such as tight marking, play offsides, men behind ball, counter attack?

I've had success with the 3-5-2 before, but I must be doing something wrong because I don't win with it as much as I used to...

Thanks

I like your line of thinking boabalmighty. Do you conceed a lot of goals using 3 defenders? Also' date=' do you click any of the boxes, such as tight marking, play offsides, men behind ball, counter attack?

I've had success with the 3-5-2 before, but I must be doing something wrong because I don't win with it as much as I used to...

Thanks[/quote']

I'm currently having success with a defensive-minded 3-5-2, using direct passing, mixed attacking, slow tempo, normal tackling (hard tackling if facing a stronger team), pressing own half, counter-attack, men behind ball & targetman. A couple of times I've used long passes instead of direct when up against a higher-rated midfield (you know how average my team is, from my earlier posts on this thread).

Using these tactics, I've had 4 wins & 1 loss so far, scoring 15 goals & conceding just 2 (men behind ball seems A LOT better than tight marking). My targetman Cavenaghi has scored 5 goals in 4 starts, and notched up 3 assists as well. B)

Using these tactics' date=' I've had 4 wins & 1 loss so far, scoring 15 goals & conceding just [b']2[/b] (men behind ball seems A LOT better than tight marking). My targetman Cavenaghi has scored 5 goals in 4 starts, and notched up 3 assists as well. B)

Interesting strategy - so you score roughly 3 goals per game with a defensive formation?

I think this might speak to a reason the match engine needs work, but I am intrigued and will try your system. What formation was the one loss to - was it to a better team as well?

Thanks

Guest ExiledScotInTheUSA

100% correct

If this is the case, why do the same managers end up winning leagues season after season? Not all of them have top teams either. I have a load of teams within SM and in many cases, it's the same old names who are top of the league at the end of each season, is this co-incidence and just pure luck? No.

In two of my set-ups just off the top of my head, I have Hearts and Motherwell, not the highest rated teams in the league but my Motherwell won the league last season and have been involved in many cup finals over the seasons. Hearts have been pushing for the title on the last three occasions and have won cups and are in the semi finals of the SMFA Cup, average team is 86.

I took over Toluca in GC2 for a challenge as they had never been out of the bottom two in nine seasons, last season I got them to 9th in the league and this season we are in 7th place only six points behind the leaders.

There are numerous managers who could tell you better stories than mine so your statement that it is 90% luck is just not true. Like Slimey said, we all have suffered crazy results but as I have said before, the cream always seems to rise at the end of the season.

Take a look at Tebthereb's Spartak team in GC1. His record with them speaks for itself and you can't say that it is all down to luck!!! Luck is not consistent over the long run, using logic and planning is. :P. Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Interesting strategy - so you score roughly 3 goals per game with a defensive formation?

I think this might speak to a reason the match engine needs work' date=' but I am intrigued and will try your system. What formation was the one loss to - was it to a better team as well?

Thanks[/quote']

Yeah, the defensive strategy seemed to get me more goals than an attacking one even in the previous engine. Weird or what, huh? :P

The sole loss was to an unmanaged team that arranged themselves in a 4-5-1 & had a better central midfield (Deco, Cana & Souza against my Gourcuff, Witsel & Gargano). I actually erred in that game by opting for a normal mentality, seeing that the rest of the opposition players were all roughly rated the same as mine. Plus, my starters Makoun & Cavenaghi were absent through lack of fitness. :o

Here's another slightly crazy one...

Brisbane Roar reserves, average rating 77, playing 4-5-1D Very Defensive, met Tottenham Hotspur in the Cup. Tottenham played 4-4-2 Normal Normal, but were on a 9 match unbeaten run, their average rating was 89 and included Gattuso, Keane and Ibrahimovic in their starting lineup. Can you guess the score?

Why, 2-0 to Brisbane Roar of course!

I'm not complaining by the way, as I was Brisbane Roar, but this is just one of those funny results that comes along from time to time - I even had a 70 rated winger playing (and I had a player sent off in the 50th minute, lol)

Here's another slightly crazy one...

Brisbane Roar reserves' date=' average rating 77, playing 4-5-1D Very Defensive, met Tottenham Hotspur in the Cup. Tottenham played 4-4-2 Normal Normal, but were on a 9 match unbeaten run, their average rating was 89 and included Gattuso, Keane and Ibrahimovic in their starting lineup. Can you guess the score?

Why, 2-0 to Brisbane Roar of course!

I'm not complaining by the way, as I was Brisbane Roar, but this is just one of those funny results that comes along from time to time - I even had a 70 rated winger playing (and I had a player sent off in the 50th minute, lol)[/quote']

Lovely. :D

I think such 'upsets' in cup games ('Cupsets', anyone? :P) seem to be par for the course; I've never been able to shake off the nagging feeling that the Cups are aimed primarily towards the smaller teams, so as to keep them happy, knowing that this is one piece of silverware they actually have a chance of winning; else you'd have a mass exodus of managers if it were only the big teams that'd keep winning every single competition.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah' date=' the defensive strategy seemed to get me more goals than an attacking one even in the previous engine. Weird or what, huh? :P

The sole loss was to an unmanaged team that arranged themselves in a 4-5-1 & had a better central midfield (Deco, Cana & Souza against my Gourcuff, Witsel & Gargano). I actually erred in that game by opting for a normal mentality, seeing that the rest of the opposition players were all roughly rated the same as mine. Plus, my starters Makoun & Cavenaghi were absent through lack of fitness. :o[/quote']

So I've been using your strategy, and have won my first four games, all against quality opponents. I've given up some goals, but won 1-0, 2-1 5-0 and 4-3. Thanks for the tip.

My next opponent plays a 4-4-2 where he attacks down the flanks, and has his wide players make runs forward. I've had trouble with this strategy against a 3-5-2 before - do you think I should keep everything the same and switch to a 4-5-1, or should I stick with the 3-5-2?

Thanks again, you've been a huge help...

So I've been using your strategy' date=' and have won my first four games, all against quality opponents. I've given up some goals, but won 1-0, 2-1 5-0 and 4-3. Thanks for the tip.

My next opponent plays a 4-4-2 where he attacks down the flanks, and has his wide players make runs forward. I've had trouble with this strategy against a 3-5-2 before - do you think I should keep everything the same and switch to a 4-5-1, or should I stick with the 3-5-2?

Thanks again, you've been a huge help...[/quote']

No problem. :) Congratulations on your excellent results!

You should really be asking this in the 'Tactics Help' thread. Anyway, it depends on the ratings of your full-backs & your opponent's wingers. If he has the better wingers, then using relatively inferior full-backs wouldn't be of much help.

Also, look to play to your strengths all the time; play your strongest XI as much as possible.

Man' date=' the match engine really needs a revamp tonight I lost 5-1 to Arsenal with Man United team with an average rating of 93. Man of the match went to slyvian distan who HAS the worse player in the match.

Sort it out sm[/quote']

Match engine must be working fine if united are getting hammered 5-1 :)

I really have no issue with an every dog has his day kind of scenario' date=' but what really is broken is when an unmanaged side is filled with cripples and the walking dead and they seem to consistently whip better teams that have everyone at full strength.[/quote']

Happened to me today what made it even funnier is that they had two men sent off in the first 15 minutes and still managed a draw lol