Official US Open Thread

Seftinho

US Open 2009

us-open-2009.jpg

The final Grand Slam of the year is upon us, with the first round starting tomorrow.

Roger Federer won is the current holder of the tournament, defeat Andy Murray in straight sets last year to claim the title. Murray had just come off a three and a half hour thriller with Rafael Nadal the day before, beating the Spaniard for the first time.

The seeds are as follows:

1 Roger Federer

2 Andy Murray

--------------------------------

3 Rafael Nadal

4 Novak Djokovic

5 Andy Roddick

6 Juan Martin Del Potro

7 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

8 Nikolay Davydenko

9 Gilles Simon

10 Fernando Verdasco

11 Fernando Gonzalez

12 Robin Soderling

13 Gaels Monfils

14 Tommy Robredo

15 Radek Stepanek

16 Marin Cilic

17 Tomas Berdych

18 David Ferrer

19 Stanislas Wawrinka

20 Tommy Haas

21 James Blake

22 Sam Querrey

23 Philipp Kohlschreiber

24 Juan Carlos Ferrero

25 Mardy Fish

26 Paul-Henri Mathieu

27 Ivo Karlovic

28 Victor Hanescu

29 Igor Andreev

30 Victor Troicki

31 Lleyton Hewitt

32 Nicolas Almagro

Roger Federer has to be the favourite following his recent Cincinnati, French Open and Wimbledon victories, with Rafael Nadal back to full fitness and hoping to be challenging him for the title. Andy Murray will be hopeful, although he doesn't have the experience of winning a Grand Slam, needs to work on his first serve percentage and would potentially have to overcome the two world's best.

This is who the big 6 could potentially meet throughout the tournament (assuming the higher ranked player wins each match, which of course won't actually happen, hence the word "potentially")

Round 1

(1) Roger Federer v Devin Britton (WC)

(2) Andy Murray v Ernests Gulbis

(3) Rafael Nadal v Richard Gasquet

(4) Novak Djokovic v Ivan Ljubicic

(5) Andy Roddick v Bjorn Phau (Q)

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro v Juan Monaco

Round 2

(1) Roger Federer v Giovanni Lapentti

(2) Andy Murray v Paul Capdeville

(3) Rafael Nadal v Michael Llodra

(4) Novak Djokovic v Carsten Ball (Q)

(5) Andy Roddick v Dmitry Tursonov

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro v Jurgen Melzer

Round 3

(1) Roger Federer v Lleyton Hewitt (31)

(2) Andy Murray v Ivo Karlovic (27)

(3) Rafael Nadal v Nicolas Almagro (32)

(4) Novak Djokovic v Igor Andreev (29)

(5) Andy Roddick v Victor Hanescu (28)

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro v Mardy Fish (25)

Round 4

(1) Roger Federer v Tommy Robredo (14)

(2) Andy Murray v Marin Cilic (16)

(3) Rafael Nadal v Gael Monfils (13)

(4) Novak Djokovic v Radek Stepanek (15)

(5) Andy Roddick v Fernando Verdasco (10)

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro v Gilles Simon (9)

Quarter-Finals

(1) Roger Federer v Nikolay Davydenko (8)

(2) Andy Murray v Juan-Martin Del Potro (6)

(3) Rafael Nadal v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (7)

(4) Novak Djokovic v Andy Roddick (5)

Semi-Finals

(1) Roger Federer v Novak Djokovic (4)

(2) Andy Murray v Rafael Nadal (3)

Of course either of those six could very well go out before the Quarter Finals, and Del Potro is of a very similar level to Andy Murray at this minute, whilst Andy Roddick can't be ruled out of upsetting the apple-tree (Wimbledon, anyone?).

Federer could also potentially meet James Blake in Round 4 if the home hopeful can get past Tommy Robredo (who has a history of horribly under-achieving in the big tournaments), or even a rerematch with Robin Soderling, who he beat at both the last two Grand Slams, if the Swede can get past Davydenko.

Murray could also potentially have a rematch with Stanislas Wawrinka in the fourth round (just as with the epic Wimbledon match) if the Swiss can stun Cilic in Round 3.

Nadal could play David Ferrer if his fellow Spaniard can defeat Gael Monfils in Round 3, or Fernando Gonzalez if the French Open semi-finalist can beat the other Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

Djokovic may also face Phillip Kohlschreiber, the man who knocked him out of the French Open, if Kohlschreiber can get past Radek Stepanek.

Roddick could face Tommy Haas if the Wimbledon semi-finalist can get past Fernando Verdasco.

Del Potro could also meet Marat Safin in Round 2 if the incredibly inconsistent Russian can beat Melzer in his final US Open, or Juan Carlos Ferrero if the Spaniard can beat Simon in Round 3 (as he did at Wimbledon).

The draw has been very kind to Roger Federer, whilst Murray and Nadal will have to fight past much tougher opponents and potentially each other if they wish to win the tournament.

The full draw can be found here: http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/ms/index.html?promo=topnav

-------------------------------------------------

Sorry for no information on the Women's side - it is far less popular anyway and I don't pay much attention to it besides watching the occasional match.

If you have any questions in relation to the Men's or Women's tennis, be it about the draw, the rankings, a particular player's chances or whatever, ask away. ;)

As I said, the tournament will get under way tomorrow.

Re: Official US Open Thread

First round results (Seeds only):

(1) Roger Federer 6-1, 6-3, 7-5 Devin Britton

(2) Andy Murray 7-5, 6-3, 7-5 Ernests Gulbis

(3) Rafael Nadal 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 Richard Gasquet

(4) Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-1, 6-3 Ivan Ljubicic

(5) Andy Roddick 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 Bjorn Phau

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro 6-3, 6-3, 6-1 Juan Monaco

(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-0, 6-2, 6-1 Chase Buchanan

(8) Nikolay Davydenko 6-3, 6-4, 7-5 Dieter Kindlmann

(9) Gilles Simon 6-4, 7-6, 6-3 Daniel Gimeno-Traver

(10) Fernando Verdasco 7-5, 6-4, 7-5 Benjamin Becker

(11) Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 6-3, 6-3 Nicolas Mahut

(12) Robin Soderling 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 Alberto Montanes

(13) Gael Monfils 6-1, 6-4, 6-3 Jeremy Chardy

(14) Tommy Robredo 6-4, 3-6, 6-2, 6-3 Donald Young

(15) Radek Stepanek 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 Simone Bolelli

(16) Marin Cilic 7-6, 6-4, 7-6 Ryan Sweeting

(17) Tomas Berdych 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 Wayne Odesnik

(18) David Ferrer 7-5, 5-7, 6-3, 6-3 Alberto Martin

(19) Stanislas Wawrinka 6-4, 6-3, 6-7, 6-7, 3-6 Nicolas Lapentti

(20) Tommy Haas 7-5, 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 Alejando Falla

(21) James Blake 6-1, 6-4, 7-5 Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo

(22) Sam Querrey 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 Michael Yani

(23) Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-0, 6-4, 6-4 Andreas Seppi

(24) Juan-Carlos Ferrero 6-4, 6-3, 6-3 Fabrice Santoro

(25) Mardy Fish Withdrawn

(26) Paul-Henri Mathieu 6-2, 6-7, 0-6, 2-6 Mikhael Youzhny

(27) Ivo Karlovic 4-6, 6-7, 6-7 Ivan Navarro

(28) Victor Hanescu 1-6, 6-7, 6-7 John Isner

(29) Igor Andreev 4-6, 0-6, 2-6 Jesse Witten

(30) Viktor Troicki 6-3, 6-3, 1-6, 2-6, 6-1 Peter Luczak

(31) Lleyton Hewitt 6-0, 6-3, 6-4 Thiago Alves

(32) Nicolas Almagro 6-2, 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 Steve Darcis

Whens the Nadal game on TV?

Not sure' date=' but play doesn't start 'til 11am in NY, which is 4pm BST, so not before that.

I think the only player he will struggle to beat will be Federer, and that it will be those two in the final.

I'm not sure - the pundits reckon Del Potro and Murray could go either way (should they both reach the Quarters), and if Del Potro hadn't played in Washington the week prior to Montreal, he could have beaten Murray in the final (DelP was so close to winning, but Murray's fitness was a huge factor). I'm inclined to agree - Del Potro has climbed in leaps and bounds lately and it's only a matter of time before he catches Djokovic in the rankings and starts winning the big Masters.

Nadal's also back to full fitness and if they meet in the Semis, that could also go either way.

And then if Murray can get past both Del Potro AND Nadal, he'd still have the most in-form player in the game to meet in the Final, who destroyed him at Cincinnatti two weeks ago.

The draws not been kind. :(

Round 2 (matches start early morning BST and are played over the course of Thursday and Friday):

Top half:

(1) Roger Federer 6-3, 7-5, 7-5 Simon Greul

(4) Novak Djokovic v Carsten Ball

(5) Andy Roddick v Marc Gicquel

(8) Nikolay Davydenko v Jan Hernych

(10) Fernando Verdasco v Florent Serra

(12) Robin Soderling v Marcel Granollers

(14) Tommy Robredo v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez

(15) Radek Stepanek v Leonardo Meyer

(20) Tommy Haas v Robert Kendrick

(21) James Blake v Olivier Rochus

(22) Sam Querrey v Kevin Kim

(23) Philipp Kohlschreiber v Somdev Devvarman

(31) Lleyton Hewitt 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 Juan Ignacio Chela

Bottom half:

(2) Andy Murray v Paul Capdeville

(3) Rafael Nadal v Nicolas Kiefer

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro v Jurgen Melzer

(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v Jarkko Nieminen

(9) Gilles Simon v Thomas Bellucci

(11) Fernando Gonzalez v Josselin Ouanna

(13) Gael Monfils v Andreas Beck

(16) Marin Cilic v Jesse Levine

(17) Tomas Berdych v Horacio Zeballos

(18) David Ferrer v Jose Acasuso

(24) Juan-Carlos Ferrero v Philipp Petzschner

(30) Viktor Troicki v Julien Benneteau

(32) Nicolas Almagro v Robbie Ginepri

Top half plays today, bottom half play tomorrow.

You Should do like a Match(Game) of the round e.g like Nadal vs Gasquet in the last round. One to watch out for. just a suggestion.

Nadal/Gasquet was hardly a match of the round - arguably the best player in the world, back to full fitness, against one of the most unfit players in the game (he hasn't played in something like 8 months!).

And I'm not exactly a pundit, aside from maybe the top 20, I have no idea who the form players are. Excluding Hewitt (climbed 20 places since Wimbledon) and Ferrero (climed 46 places since Wimbledon).

Nadal/Gasquet was hardly a match of the round - arguably the best player in the world' date=' back to full fitness, against one of the most unfit players in the game (he hasn't played in something like 8 months!).

And I'm not exactly a pundit, aside from maybe the top 20, I have no idea who the form players are. Excluding Hewitt (climbed 20 places since Wimbledon) and Ferrero (climed 46 places since Wimbledon).[/quote']

no but he used to be a good player ant seen him since him came back so dint no he was tht rubbish, thought hed be a bit like sharapova wen she came back from surgery unseeded and dangerous to seeded players.:D

seems like i shud of set the thread up i no more about tennis then you if you only no that much man;)

no but he used to be a good player ant seen him since him came back so dint no he was tht rubbish' date=' thought hed be a bit like sharapova wen she came back from surgery unseeded and dangerous to seeded players.:D

seems like i shud of set the thread up i no more about tennis then you if you only no that much man;)[/quote']

He is a quality player, was top 10 before the drug affair, but he hasn't played in more than half a year so his fitness is nowhere near high enough to be challenging one of the best players in the game, and probably the one with the highest fitness level too.

Don't forget that Sharapova only plays three setters. ;)

And you don't have to know everything to set up a thread. No-one else had so I went ahead and did it..

I know most of the players in the top 100, but I have no idea how they've fared in recent tournaments and what form they're in, excluding most of the top 20 and the odd players outside of it.

He is a quality player' date=' was top 10 before the drug affair, but he hasn't played in more than half a year so his fitness is nowhere near high enough to be challenging one of the best players in the game, and probably the one with the highest fitness level too.

Don't forget that Sharapova only plays three setters. ;)

And you don't have to know everything to set up a thread. No-one else had so I went ahead and did it..

I know most of the players in the top 100, but I have no idea how they've fared in recent tournaments and what form they're in, excluding most of the top 20 and the odd players outside of it.[/quote']

ok mate;):D

Murray v Capdeville should start around 8pm BST, give or take an hour.

Nadal v Kiefer won't start til around 2am tomorrow morning (again BST) at the earliest.

Top half results:

(4) Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 Carsten Ball

(5) Andy Roddick 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 Marc Gicquel

(8) Nikolay Davydenko 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 Jan Hernych

(12) Robin Soderling 2-0 (Ret.) Marcel Granollers

(14) Tommy Robredo 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez

(15) Radek Stepanek 7-6, 6-3, 6-4 Leonardo Meyer

(20) Tommy Haas 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 Robert Kendrick

(21) James Blake 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 6-3 Olivier Rochus

(22) Sam Querrey 7-5, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 Kevin Kim

(23) Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 6-4, 0-6, 6-2 Somdev Devvarman

Round 3 (top half):

(4) Novak Djokovic v Jesse Witten

(5) Andy Roddick v John Isner

(8) Nikolay Davydenko v Marco Chiudinelli

(10) Fernando Verdasco v Tommy Haas (20)

(12) Robin Soderling v Sam Querrey (22)

(14) Tommy Robredo v James Blake (21)

(15) Radek Stepanek v Philipp Kohlschreiber (23)

Wow, some upsets could be on the cards in the early matches today.

Marin Cilic (16) is two sets down, but a break up (4-6, 2-6, 2-0) against home hopeful Jesse Levine.

Juan Carlos Ferrero (24) is also two sets down, to Phillip Petzschner.

Juan Martin Del Potro (6) is a break down (1-3) to Jurgen Melzer, but very early stages there.

The Cilic one is very interesting, because he is in Murray's part of the draw. With Wawrinka and Karlovic already out, if Levine were to somehow knock out the 16th seed, Murray wouldn't meet a single seed until the Quarter Finals (providing he gets there).

Hmm. Levine looks like he's running out of steam a bit though.

Del Potro will probably turn this round shortly and win in straight sets, no doubt.

Ferrero is in real trouble, I can really see him going out.

Meanwhile Tsonga is two sets and a break up.

On the Arthur Ashe stadium, Hantuchova was just won in straight sets. Serena (I think it's Serena) Williams is on next, starting around 6pm BST. Murray will be on after that, around the predicted 8pm BST.

Edit: DelP has broken back, Ferrero is now a break up and Cilic is 5-0 up in the third set, haha. Tsonga has just won in straight sets. Troicki (30) is 1-1 with Benneteau, with serve in the third set.

Seft' date=' if you're on can you post when Murray starts as i will forget :P[/quote']

Haha, funnily enough I've just come this very minute to post that Murray's going to start soon, and I read this post. :P

Serena's match has just finished, so Murray will be starting within the next twenty minutes or so, including the warm-up.

Looks like 8pm was a pretty good prediction!

Del Potro through 7-6, 6-3, 6-3

Emphatic comeback from Cilic to reach the 3rd round, 4-6, 2-6, 6-0, 6-4, 6-0. Levine tired a bit after the first two sets and Cilic's fitness helped him through. Still, promising signs for Murray if these two both win through to the 4th round (where they would meet each other), that Cilic was forced to five sets against an unseeded player. Although it's probably best to wait and see how Murray does first.

Like Cilic, Ferrero also made an impressive comeback from two sets down to win through 1-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-4. Can't help either player that both five set wins came in the hottest part of the day.

Meanwhile, Troicki becomes the first seed of the round to go out, losing to the in-form Benneteau 1-6, 6-3, 1-6, 0-6. Benneteau is the man who of course knocked Tsonga out on the way to the Cincinatti Quarters, and led Murray by a set before losing in three.

Tsonga won earlier on.

Berdych and Zeballos are 1-1, with Zeballos just taking the second set on a tie-break.

It's a match of breaks between Simon and Belluci. Simon raced into a 3-0 lead, before Belluci broke back to make it 3-2, only to get broken straight back. 5-2 Simon at the moment, first set.

In the non-seeded matches, Istomin and N. Lapentti are neatly tied at 1-1, 2-2, 15-15, and Cuevas is a set up but a break down to Koellerer.

Andy Murray vs Paul Capdeville and Nicolas Almagro v Robby Ginepri are about to start. :)

Wow it started at 8pm on the dot! No-one can criticise my predictions now! :P

Capdeville saves two break points in a six minute long first game, but utimately holds after Murray puts it long.

That'll probably be the only commentary, as I want to watch the match now, but I had to mention about the time it started! :o

Edit: Murray 5-2 up and will serve for the first set.

I'm liking his new blue top, much snazzier than the dull grey one.

Round 2 Results:

(4) Novak Djokovic 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 Carsten Ball

(5) Andy Roddick 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 Marc Gicquel

(8) Nikolay Davydenko 6-4, 6-1, 6-2 Jan Hernych

(12) Robin Soderling 2-0 (Ret.) Marcel Granollers

(14) Tommy Robredo 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 Guillermo Garcia-Lopez

(15) Radek Stepanek 7-6, 6-3, 6-4 Leonardo Meyer

(20) Tommy Haas 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 Robert Kendrick

(21) James Blake 6-4, 3-6, 7-6, 6-3 Olivier Rochus

(22) Sam Querrey 7-5, 6-7, 6-4, 6-4 Kevin Kim

(23) Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-3, 6-4, 0-6, 6-2 Somdev Devvarman

(2) Andy Murray 6-2, 3-6, 6-0, 6-2 Paul Capdeville

(3) Rafael Nadal 6-0, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 Nicolas Kiefer

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro 7-6, 6-3, 6-3 Jurgen Melzer

(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 Jarkko Nieminen

(9) Gilles Simon 6-3, 6-2, 6-4 Thomas Bellucci

(11) Fernando Gonzalez 6-3, 6-7, 6-3, 6-4 Josselin Ouanna

(13) Gael Monfils 6-3, 7-5, 6-3 Andreas Beck

(16) Marin Cilic 4-6, 2-6, 6-0, 6-3, 6-0 Jesse Levine

(17) Tomas Berdych 6-3, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2 Horacio Zeballos

(18) David Ferrer 3-6, 6-3, 6-1, 3-6, 2-6 Jose Acasuso

(24) Juan-Carlos Ferrero 1-6, 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-4 Philipp Petzschner

(30) Viktor Troicki 1-6, 6-3, 6-1, 6-0 Julien Benneteau

(32) Nicolas Almagro 6-7, 6-2, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 Robbie Ginepri

Round 3 draw:

(4) Novak Djokovic v Jesse Witten

(5) Andy Roddick v John Isner

(8) Nikolay Davydenko v Marco Chiudinelli

(10) Fernando Verdasco v Tommy Haas (20)

(12) Robin Soderling v Sam Querrey (22)

(14) Tommy Robredo v James Blake (21)

(15) Radek Stepanek v Philipp Kohlschreiber (23)

(2) Andy Murray v Taylor Dent

(3) Rafael Nadal v Nicolas Almagro (32)

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro v Daniel Koellerer

(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v Julien Benneteau

(9) Gilles Simon v Juan Carlos Ferrero (24)

(11) Fernando Gonzalez v Tomas Berdych (17)

(13) Gael Monfils v Jose Acasuso

(16) Marin Cilic v Denis Istomin

Matches to look out for:

Saturday:

Verdasco v Haas - Haas has been in great from of late, nearly beating Federer at the French Open, before knocking out Djokovic and making the Semis at Wimbledon, after victory at Halle, beating Djokovic there as well. Can he keep up his form on the Hard court, and shock Verdasco? After a promising start to the campaign, Verdasco has struggled a bit lately, but won New Haven last year and will be looking to do well on his best surface.

Soderling v Querrey - Querrey is in the form of his life and has hit a career-high of 22 in the ATP rankings. Boosted on by his home crowd he should be a threat for the high-flying Swede with his big serving.

Robredo v Blake - Robredo is renowned for under-achieving in the Grand Slams, but he's done well elsewhere and has risen to 15 in the rankings. Blake on the other hand has struggled for most of this year, but is playing well at the moment and will be hopeful of victory over the Spaniard in front of the home fans.

Sunday:

Tsonga v Benneteau - Benneteau made the Quarters at Cincinnatti a couple of weeks ago and could prove a real problem for Tsonga, but Tsonga is in great form and has recently won his way back up to 7th in the rankings and should get past his fellow Frenchman, although I would be surprised if Benneteau didn't give him a real run for his money.

Simon v Ferrero - Ferrero scraped through to this round in the scorching heat but he has previous over Simon - knocking him out in straight sets at Wimbledon before losing to Murray in the Quarters. We should be in for a decent match if Ferrero can recover from his last match.

Gonzalez v Berdych - After reaching the Semis at the French, Gonzalez has struggled a bit and hasn't done as well as his ranking in recent tournaments. Whereas Berdych is in great form and was beating Gonzalez 6-4 before Gonzalez retired in Cincinatti. Could be an interesting match.

Other:

Meanwhile elsewhere, Federer has a 15-7 winning record against Hewitt and shouldn't have too many problems overcoming the in-form Australian. Roddick should have no problems in front of his own fans whilst Witten will be looking to stun Djokovic. Djokovic should win through comfortably, but don't rule out Witten taking a set or causing him some problems. Davydenko faces a Qualifier in the unseeded Swiss and should also come through with no problems. Kohlschreiber may cause some problems for Stepanek, and did beat Djokovic at the French recently, but Stepanek should win through, maybe at the cost of a set.

In the bottom half, Murray will have a fight on his hands against another American, who will be hoping to use the home crowd to his advantage. Murray though seems to revel in these sort of encounters and should get through without too many problems, although I would definitely not rule out the American taking a set. Nadal shouldn't face too many problems against his fellow Spaniard, whom he has beaten all three times in the past. Del Potro is in great from on the Hard after a disappointing Wimbledon and should dispose of Koellerer without too many problems. Monfils is one of four Frenchman left in the draw and will have a fight on his hands against the in-form Argentinian, who saw off the 18th seed Ferrer last night, but he shouldn't have too many problems. Cilic came from 2-0 down to get past Jesse Levine in the last round in the scorching heat, but luckily for him Wawrinka lost in the first round and he "only" faces the Uzbek Denis Istomin in Round 3. Providing he recovers well, he should be able to book a place in the fourth round (and a possible tie with Murray), although I would pin this match down as a possible shock if Cilic plays like he did in the first two sets against Levine.

Round 3 finally threw up some cracking matches, which saw just two players win through in straight sets and two five setters. There was also one huge shock in this round, which saw the home favourite Andy Roddick get knocked out by another American who is ranked 50 places below him, with the final set going to a tie-break. Incredible stuff.

Round 3 results:

(1) Roger Federer 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 Lleyton Hewitt (31)

(4) Novak Djokovic 6-7, 6-3, 7-6, 6-4 Jesse Witten

(5) Andy Roddick 6-7, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-7 John Isner

(8) Nikolay Davydenko 6-4, 7-5, 7-5 Marco Chiudinelli

(10) Fernando Verdasco 3-6, 7-5, 7-6, 1-6, 6-4 Tommy Haas (20)

(12) Robin Soderling 6-2, 7-5, 6-7, 6-1 Sam Querrey (22)

(14) Tommy Robredo 7-6, 6-4, 6-4 James Blake (21)

(15) Radek Stepanek 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 Philipp Kohlschreiber (23)

Yesterday saw the first huge player to crash out of the US Open, and it happened to be the home favourite and No. 5 seed Andy Roddick. He is the first player inside the top 15 to crash out of the tournament, and his defeat means the 55 ranked John Isner who shocked him, is one of two Americans remaining in the tournament (the other plays Andy Murray tomorrow morning). Will the fans love him, or hate him?

Isner took a tight first set on a tie-break, before going two sets up after breaking Roddick in the second set, to really worry the American No. 1. But Roddick fought his way back to 2-2, and it seemed he had recovered the match, but he couldn't force a way past Isner in the final set, and the American No. 5 managed to win the all-important tie-break to cause the biggest upset of the tournament so far.

It wasn't a good day for the Americans, as both the other two American seeds also crashed out. Querrey made a fight of his match after a disappointing start, and there was hope when he took the third set on a tie-break, but Soderling stood his ground and brought out some of his best tennis for the fourth set to see off the American No. 2. And the only other American seed left in the draw went down in straight sets to an in-form Robredo who is finally playing to his full potential.

Elsewhere Federer and Djokovic both dropped their first sets of the tournament (to the huge frustration of those who took the odds of Federer to win the Open without losing a set), but both bounced back to win fairly comfortably in four sets. Davydenko stormed past the Swiss No. 3 with a very convincing performance, whilst Stepanek followed the trend of Federer and Djokovic by losing the first set but winning the rest.

And the second thriller of the day came in the match between Fernando Verdasco and the in-form Tommy Haas, which saw Verdasco bounce back from a set down to take two very close sets. Haas then took the fourth set with relative ease, but in the deciding set Verdasco recovered and pulled out all the stops in order to get past the German and reach the Last Sixteen.

Round 4 draw (top half):

(8) Nikolay Davydenko v Robin Soderling (12)

(10) Fernando Verdasco v John Isner

For Murray fans, he will start at a similar time to his opening match, in the early hours of the morning. If the match before-hand is finished in straight sets, then Murray should be on by around 2am BST, but if the match goes to three (which it very well could - the Women's 7th seed plays the 10th seed), Murray might not be on before 2:30 - 3:00am.

For Nadal fans, he is second on court today, so should be on between 6pm and 7pm BST.

Round 3 results:

(1) Roger Federer 4-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-4 Lleyton Hewitt (31)

(4) Novak Djokovic 6-7, 6-3, 7-6, 6-4 Jesse Witten

(5) Andy Roddick 6-7, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5, 6-7 John Isner

(8) Nikolay Davydenko 6-4, 7-5, 7-5 Marco Chiudinelli

(10) Fernando Verdasco 3-6, 7-5, 7-6, 1-6, 6-4 Tommy Haas (20)

(12) Robin Soderling 6-2, 7-5, 6-7, 6-1 Sam Querrey (22)

(14) Tommy Robredo 7-6, 6-4, 6-4 James Blake (21)

(15) Radek Stepanek 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-3 Philipp Kohlschreiber (23)

(2) Andy Murray 6-3, 6-2, 6-2 Taylor Dent

(3) Rafael Nadal 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 Nicolas Almagro (32)

(6) Juan-Martin Del Potro 6-1, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 Daniel Koellerer

(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-6, 6-2, 6-4 Julien Benneteau

(9) Gilles Simon 6-1, 4-6, 6-7, 0-1 Ret. Juan Carlos Ferrero (24)

(11) Fernando Gonzalez 7-5, 6-4, 6-4 Tomas Berdych (17)

(13) Gael Monfils 6-3, 6-4, 1-0 Ret. Jose Acasuso

(16) Marin Cilic 6-1, 6-4, 6-3 Denis Istomin

Round 4:

(8) Nikolay Davydenko v Robin Soderling (12)

(10) Fernando Verdasco v John Isner

(2) Andy Murray v Marin Cilic (16)

(3) Rafael Nadal v Gael Monfils (13)

(6) Juan Martin Del Potro v Juan Carlos Ferrero (24)

(7) Jo-Wilfried Tsonga v Fernando Gonzalez (11)

After Del Potro dropped a set, the only players remaining in the draw who are yet to drop a set are Tsonga, Davydenko and Monfils. Will that change in Round 4?

Meanwhile Kim Clijsters pulled off a huge shock in one of the craziest matches in the history of WTA.

She retired from the sport a few years ago when she was pregnant, but she recently appeared in the unveiling of Wimbledon's new Centre Court along with Tim Henman, Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf, and announced that she would be making a return to the sport.

Well, she has returned now, and in her first Grand Slam back she faced Venus Williams in Round 4. And she won the first set 6-0. The perfect set. Against one of the best players in the Women's game. But Venus bounced back to take the second set... 6-0. Could it get any crazier? Only if you count Clijsters bouncing back again to take the third set 6-4 and knocking out Venus at her home Grand Slam.

Clijsters into the Quarter Finals and faces Li (18).

I know who I'm supporting in the Women's draw. :)

I'm also following Melanie Oudin, who stunned a few at Wimbledon recently, and the (fit) American teenager had so far stunned Elena Dementieva (4) in Round 1 and Maria Sharapova (29) in Round 3; and also following Wozniacki (the looks, y'know..).

Oudin (17, turns 18 later this month)

250px-Melanie-oudin.png