Sign in to follow this  
Kroitzz

The Official Cricket Thread

Re: Official Cricket Thread

did you know sort of stuff

What is the longest Test innings by a batsman who finished on the losing side?

The longest was an innings of 590 minutes - 10 minutes short of 10 hours - by Andy Flower, the Zimbabwean wicketkeeper-batsman who is now England's coach. Against South Africa in Harare in 2001-02 Flower made 199 not out as Zimbabwe followed on (despite Flower's 142 in 289 minutes in the first innings), but South Africa still won by nine wickets before tea on the final day. Flower survived 470 balls during his vigil, but there has been one longer innings in vain in Tests in terms of balls faced: England's Herbert Sutcliffe lasted 481 for his 176 against Australia in a seven-day Test in Melbourne in 1924-25. Sutcliffe batted for 431 minutes.

How many players have been run out in their very first Test innings, as Jonathan Trott was at The Oval?

England's Jonathan Trott was the 85th player to be run out in the first innings of his first Test. The previous unfortunate was Sulieman Benn of West Indies, against Sri Lanka at Providence in 2007-08; the first one was Dave Gregory, Australia's captain in the very first Test of all, against England in Melbourne in 1876-77. The highest score made by someone who was then run out in the first innings of his first Test is 93, by Gordon Greenidge for West Indies against India in Bangalore in 1974-75 (he ran slightly better in the second innings and made 107).

Charles Coventry now has the highest individual score in a losing cause in an ODI. Whose record did he break?

Charles Coventry's 194 not out against Bangladesh in Bulawayo last week not only equalled the highest score in all one-day internationals (194 by Saeed Anwar for Pakistan v India in Chennai in 1996-97) but was the highest by anyone who still finished on the losing side. The previous record was 181 not out, by Matthew Hayden for Australia against New Zealand in Hamilton in 2006-07.

Who has scored the most centuries in one-day internationals in matches his side ended up losing?

Not surprisingly, the leader here is also the overall leading one-day international centurymaker: Sachin Tendulkar has made an amazing 43 hundreds in ODIs, and 11 of them have come in matches that India lost. Second on the list is Chris Gayle of West Indies, who has made nine (out of 19) centuries in ODIs in which he ended up on the losing side.

Which bowler reached 200 wickets in Tests in the fewest matches?

The Australian legspinner Clarrie Grimmett was not only the first bowler ever to take 200 Test wickets, he got there in just 36 matches, which remains the record. Dennis Lillee and Waqar Younis both got there in their 38th match, while Ian Botham and Stuart MacGill took 41 each.

Which international cricketer is also the drummer in a rock band?

The former Australian offspinner Gavin Robertson, who played four Tests and 13 ODIs in the 1990s, is (or was) the drummer with the pop group Six and Out, which also included Brett Lee and his brother Shane, as well as the New South Wales players Richard Chee Quee and Brad McNamara. there may well be others: I have a feeling that the Bangladesh allrounder Mehrab Hossain junior is also a part-time drummer, but I can't find anything to back up my hunch.

did you know sort of stuff

wow some of that stuff is quite interesting!!!

anyone want to name favourite players? and favourites not from the country you support?

from my country: stuart clark/mike hussey/ mike clarke/ mitch johnson

other: dale steyn/graeme smith/ a b devilliers

Ok' date=' Favourite Players:

From England - Joe Denly, Ian Bell, Rob Key, Stuart Broad.

From around the world - AB De Villiers, Suresh Raina, Gautum Ghambir, Simon Katich.[/quote']

the 20/20 are on too late over here so dont get to see denly play. whats her like?

forgot katich. cant believe myself. (punches self)

awesum player and a true MAN of the game :D

the 20/20 are on too late over here so dont get to see denly play. whats her like?

forgot katich. cant believe myself. (punches self)

awesum player and a true MAN of the game :D

Well he got a first baller against you in the 20/20! Lee outpaced him a little bit!

But he is a top player and I think he will make it into the test side in a few years time.

Katich is one of/if not my favourite Australian player. A true bastian to the future of test cricket! Top player!

Well he got a first baller against you in the 20/20! Lee outpaced him a little bit!

But he is a top player and I think he will make it into the test side in a few years time.

Katich is one of/if not my favourite Australian player. A true bastian to the future of test cricket! Top player!

yeah i read bout that. i just thought he must of underperformed lol

he just a slogger?

i love his fielding and mental qualities. at the oval in the last test his fielding was inspirational. even though we lost lol

yeah i read bout that. i just thought he must of underperformed lol

he just a slogger?

i love his fielding and mental qualities. at the oval in the last test his fielding was inspirational. even though we lost lol

I wouldn't say that he is a slogger, just an agressive batsmen who isnt frightened to put the bad ball away. Its wierd, 2 of my favourite batsmen, Denly and Katich are on opposite sides of a batting spectrum.

Although I would rank Raina and DeVilliers above both of them :)

PLAYERS I LIKE

INDIA-:rahul dravid/tendulkar/kumble

PAKISTAN-:shahid afridi

WEST INDIES-:Fidel edwards

SRI LANKA-:T dilshan (the delhi connection)

SOUTH AFRICA-: AB De villiers (the delhi connection)/steyn/parnell

AUSTRALIA-:david warner (the delhi connection)

ENGLAND-:jimmy anderson

NEW ZEALAND-:dan vettori/taylor

PLAYERS I HATE

INDIA-:harbhajan singh (not professional enough)

PAKISTAN-:younnis khan

WEST INDIES-:ramnaresh sarwan

SRI LANKA-:M jayawardene

SOUTH AFRICA-: kronije/boje/nel/prince

AUSTRALIA-:ponting/symonds

ENGLAND-:peterson/nasser hussain

NEW ZEALAND-:mccullam

I wouldn't say that he is a slogger' date=' just an agressive batsmen who isnt frightened to put the bad ball away. Its wierd, 2 of my favourite batsmen, Denly and Katich are on opposite sides of a batting spectrum.

Although I would rank [b']Raina[/b] and DeVilliers above both of them :)

wonder why? He always flops on the big stage

wonder why? He always flops on the big stage

I just think hes a good player and when i watch him it just feels good!

You know when you get watch a player in football and you get an instant buzz? Its liek that when i watch him play cricket!

He has 2 100s and 10 50s in ODI's so thats not too bad at an average of around 36. For a 22 year old i dont think thats too bad :)

When i watched him in the IPL i was very impressed :)

NZ vs SL live

14 overs 95/3 NZ

decent bowling performance ,kulasekera lethal with the new ball,spinners bandara and mendis are tough to hit out so cuurently NZ will reach 140-150 anything above that could be because of BIG O on the crease

for NZ guptill and taylor had decent starts before guptill tried to hit one too many

match report on a website

S. Bond making his return to intl cricket was laking guile IMO what does everyone think about him

New Zealand put a small part of their tour blues behind them by clinching a thrilling three-run win over Sri Lanka in the first of two Twenty20s at the R Premadasa Stadium. The coloured clothing was out and with it a fresh look to New Zealand's Twenty20 unit, but it was Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori and Jacob Oram, with a hat-trick, who ultimately gave the tourists something to smile about.

With the openers dismissed early, the pressure was on Taylor, who carried the team almost single-handedly with a busy innings until the 18th over after which, Lasith Malinga returned to stifle the tail. A total of 141 appeared under-par when Tillakaratne Dilshan blazed to 57 off 28 balls, but Vettori reminded everyone of his worth in Twenty20s with a rdly spell and, aided by some dedicated fielding, New Zealand hauled themselves back in front of an enthusiastic crowd.

Dilshan's assault on Shane Bond in the first over had the crowd in raptures, and New Zealand almost cowering. What was touted to be a seminal moment in New Zealand's bid for a comeback was smashed in four deliveries as Dilshan welcomed Bond back to international cricket with disdain. After bouncing Dilshan first ball, Bond was slapped for four consecutive fours.

It didn't look good for New Zealand when Dilshan unfurled his patent scoop to Kyle Mills' second delivery and got four, but there was a moment of relief when Sanath Jayasuriya top-edged to Bond at fine leg three balls later. Bond's second over only cost four, but Dilshan resumed against Mills in the fourth over, pulling and lofting sixes.

Then New Zealand launched a stirring comeback. Jesse Ryder's direct hit got rid of Mahela Jayawardene, after which Vettori got Kumar Sangakkara in his first over. Ian Butler struck in successive overs as Ryder cupped an excellent catch at backward point to cut off Dilshan and Chamara Kapugedera missed an ugly slog. At this stage Sri Lanka were 85 for 5 with 57 needed from 60 balls.

Angelo Mathews took fours off Jacob Oram, but the pressure built up by Vettori was excruciating. Having given three runs in his first over, Vettori wheeled away off an nagging line and conceded five in his second and, crucially, just a single in his third. The debutant Gihan Rupasinghe found Vettori tough to score off and, backed by some alert close-in fielding, was frustrated into sweeping and missing. With his final delivery, Vettori trapped Rupasinghe lbw for 15 off 21 balls to finish with figures of 4-0-11-2.

With 20 needed off 19, Mathews popped a return catch to Oram. Suddenly New Zealand, who till now had been athletic in the field, started diving over the ball and failing to back-up errant throws. Scampered single and doubles kept Sri Lanka ticking. With 13 to defend off 12, Vettori called back Bond. It was a wicketless return for Bond, but four singles in the final over sure beat four fours. Two wickets in the first two balls of the final over - that gave Oram his hat-trick - left Sri Lanka's last pair too much to do.

New Zealand's bid to gain momentum after last week's Test series defeat looked like it had hit a potential roadblock as they were kept to 141. Brendon McCullum appeared in the mood to get back into form, slashing a wide delivery from Malinga over point, but the combination of Ryder's straight drive and Nuwan Kulasekara's fingertips cut short his nine-ball innings. Ryder couldn't lift the tempo in a lovely second over from Malinga, full of crafty changes of pace, and with Kulasekara cutting down the boundary options, he gave himself room and lofted a catch into the hands of Malinga Bandara running back from mid-off.

Taylor and Martin Guptill were left to consolidate matters, and when Sangakkara called on Mathews, Taylor weighed in with consecutive boundaries, slashing past point and driving wide of cover. Another fortuitous deflection followed off Ajantha Mendis, when Guptill drove and edged past slip. New Zealand took 38 off the Powerplay overs.

Taylor's entertaining 60, including five fours and a six, went well with the festive atmosphere at the ground but he lacked support. Guptill, who was dropped by Mathews in the deep off Jayasuriya, launched Bandara for a straight six but miscued the next delivery to deep midwicket for 29. Jayasuriya's left-arm spin was to Taylor's liking and he slog-swept for four and six in successive deliveries in the 15th over.

Oram looked as if he was at the wrong party before he fell for 8 off 13 deliveries, holing out to Kulasekara at mid-off in Mendis' final over. Trying to get some momentum going, Taylor fell in Mathews' next over, giving Kulasekara another catch in the deep. Mathews returned a flat throw to help run out Peter McGlashan and Malinga returned to york Kyle Mills and Vettori with consecutive deliveries in the 20th over.

But Malinga and Dilshan's efforts were not enough to deny a New Zealand side piloted to victory by three of their established stars.

dhoni nominated for 3 ICC awards. what a joke. The most overrated player I have seen. Hes too full of himself:rolleyes:

though im not the biggest fan of dhoni but stats don't lie nd he could probably recieve ODI player of the year in second time running.

544 runs from eight Tests at 54.40

967 runs in 24 ODIs at 60.43

Emerging Player of the Year

Martin Guptill, Ben Hilfenhaus, Philip Hughes, Amit Mishra, Graham Onions, Kemar Roach, Jesse Ryder, Peter Siddle

as much i'd love to give it to guptill but peter siddle is the frontrunner for me

Back to England's usual performances then :)

The selectors need to do a better job if we are to go anywhere in one day competitions. :rolleyes: Why isn't Mascarenhas in the side? He's one of our best one day players! He's exactly the kind of player you need coming in with 10/15 overs left and also bowls well. Trego is always left out, why? He's been playing brilliantly for Somerset and will get quick runs. Nobody in this side atm is the kind of player to just come out and smash it like they can do.

Also, we can't afford to go in with 5 bowlers especially when Wright and Collingwood are always used. 4 main bowlers is enough.

Then again, I suppose I'll completely change my mind if Wright and Rashid stay as lucky as they seem to be atm. :rolleyes:

dhoni nominated for 3 ICC awards. what a joke. The most overrated player I have seen. Hes too full of himself:rolleyes:

when he was over in Australia the way he captained was very good. his batting was pretty good aswell as his keeping. havent got a problem with him

Emerging Player of the Year

Martin Guptill' date=' Ben Hilfenhaus, Philip Hughes, Amit Mishra, Graham Onions, Kemar Roach, Jesse Ryder, Peter Siddle

as much i'd love to give it to guptill but peter siddle is the frontrunner for me[/quote']

yeah it has to be siddle. he has come onto the scene with a bang

also woohoo!!! well done ferguson :D

ponting has retired from 20twenty internationals to prolong his playing career.

also UP THE AUSSIES!!!!! 2-0!!! not quite the same as winning the ashes i know but ahwell this will have to do this time

We're just so inept at 50 over cricket it's ridiculous. The powerplay situation yesterday was farcical. Leaving it till the last 5 overs when you'll have Lee, Johnson and one of the best death bowlers in the world in Nathan Bracken steaming in was inexplicable. After making such a solid start the way we meekly surrendered was unbelievably poor.

We're just so inept at 50 over cricket it's ridiculous. The powerplay situation yesterday was farcical. Leaving it till the last 5 overs when you'll have Lee' date=' Johnson and one of the best death bowlers in the world in Nathan Bracken steaming in was inexplicable. After making such a solid start the way we meekly surrendered was unbelievably poor.[/quote']

after watching us bat and looking at the pitch i went to bed thinking we had lost. good thing you lot are so awful at the format of the game :P

i dont think there is a good balance in the english side with their being to many dashers with the bat. its hard for me to say who should go in and out not knowing too many of the non-test playing players (im gonna give my opinion anyway :P) but trott should come into the side because he can accumalate runs. the way south africa play ODIs is how it should be done. they just look for a single every ball and then in the last 10 overs they start teeing off. so that way you end up needing over a run a ball to win.

i don't know why prior is number 3. if prior goes up the order he opens with strauss with strauss giving prior the strike to tee-off. then trott at number three so ideally you have strauss and trott scoring solidly without doing anything fancy. collingwood 4 doing a similar role. ideally not too many wickets will be lost so then you can have a few more dashers with bat after collingwood with bopara at 5. maybe denly 6, bresnan 7, rashid 8, broad 9, swann10, anderson 11

thats side looks a lot more threatning to me and even more threatning when kp is back and replaces denly and freddy replacing bresnan