The Official Cricket Thread

Kroitzz

Re: Official Cricket Thread

I hope the game picks up a bit.

Your wish has been granted mate-all the more due to a brave-and some say reckless declaration by Clarke 40 odd runs adrift. And fortune favors the bold in this case-Hilfenhaus found some movement and variable bounce early on and probably the best bowling of the match was to Chanderpaul-bowling around the wicket and into the rough which negated his deflections through the offside.

Should be interesting yet!

Your wish has been granted mate-all the more due to a brave-and some say reckless declaration by Clarke 40 odd runs adrift. And fortune favors the bold in this case-Hilfenhaus found some movement and variable bounce early on and probably the best bowling of the match was to Chanderpaul-bowling around the wicket and into the rough which negated his deflections through the offside.

Should be interesting yet!

May be difficult for Pattinson to get in the team now. Should be very interesting. All 3 results are a possibility but we are in a great position now if we can get a couple early wickets.

Currently watching MI VS RR.. where Mumbai have posted a good score of 197-6. Pollard getting a nice 66 off 34 balls - 6 fours and 4 sixes - love watching him play when he's in the mood, simply unplayable!

Been keeping an eye on young Kevon Cooper, he has all the attributes to becoming a great all round cricket player. He actually reminds of a skinnier version of Pollard, however Pollard is much more explosive with the bat, whereas Cooper is probably better with the ball. He even said he is willing to play for his national team (West Indies) over the IPL - I give him courage for saying that, not all players can say that whole heartedly nowadays.

My prediction is - another couple of years, and I can see him being a regular for the West Indies - so far from what I have seen though.

Currently watching MI VS RR.. where Mumbai have posted a good score of 197-6. Pollard getting a nice 66 off 34 balls - 6 fours and 4 sixes - love watching him play when he's in the mood' date=' simply unplayable!

Been keeping an eye on young Kevon Cooper, he has all the attributes to becoming a great all round cricket player. He actually reminds of a skinnier version of Pollard, however Pollard is much more explosive with the bat, whereas Cooper is probably better with the ball. He even said he is willing to play for his national team (West Indies) over the IPL - I give him courage for saying that, not all players can say that whole heartedly nowadays.

My prediction is - another couple of years, and I can see him being a regular for the West Indies - so far from what I have seen though.[/quote']

He is decent -has been around a bit in the T20 aspect for the local/state side and patterns himself over Pollard. Have had concerns over his bowling action and tbh mate-won't put too much stock in what professional sportsmen say when they sniff a chance at a lucrative career.

Aussies win!!!! :(-the better team..make that more adventurous and the West Indies paid for a pretty conservative approach. However lots of pluses (and minuses) on both sides to look at.

As a West Indian it bothers me when we play like ole merry England of the Boycott era-and hopefully that defensive display will force us to be more proactive -but that may be wishful thinking. As for the-job done but far from the well oiled machine we silently feared :)

He is decent -has been around a bit in the T20 aspect for the local/state side and patterns himself over Pollard. Have had concerns over his bowling action and tbh mate-won't put too much stock in what professional sportsmen say when they sniff a chance at a lucrative career.

Aussies win!!!! :(-the better team..make that more adventurous and the West Indies paid for a pretty conservative approach. However lots of pluses (and minuses) on both sides to look at.

As a West Indian it bothers me when we play like ole merry England of the Boycott era-and hopefully that defensive display will force us to be more proactive -but that may be wishful thinking. As for the-job done but far from the well oiled machine we silently feared :)

Yeah, I've only seen him play in 4 games, so basing my opinion on a short space of time. I suppose as the tournament progresses I'll get to see more of him :D

On the note of MI VS RR, cracking game. Even though MI posted a nice total of 197, RR put up a fight with a great knock from Owais Shah getting 76 runs off 42 balls. However, they fell short by 27 runs, but that was mainly due to Malinga's and Pollard's brilliant bowling.

If West Indies can get all the players fit etc, I honestly think you guys would have one of the best T20 sides in the world. Correct me if I'm wrong but after the IPL, I think Gayle is cleared, and can now play for West Indies?

Yeah' date=' I've only seen him play in 4 games, so basing my opinion on a short space of time. I suppose as the tournament progresses I'll get to see more of him :D

On the note of MI VS RR, cracking game. Even though MI posted a nice total of 197, RR put up a fight with a great knock from Owais Shah getting 76 runs off 42 balls. However, they fell short by 27 runs, but that was mainly due to Malinga's and Pollard's brilliant bowling.

If West Indies can get all the players fit etc, I honestly think you guys would have one of the best T20 sides in the world. Correct me if I'm wrong but after the IPL, I think Gayle is cleared, and can now play for West Indies?[/quote']

Yeah you will-the IPL is doing for WI cricket what county cricket did for us in the 70's-90's-unfortunately in the t20 format.

Agreed-WI have the players to make a pretty formidable team-but we lack that leader of men that arises from time to time to meld individuals into a cohesive unit like Sir Frank Worrell or Rohan Kanhai or Clive Lloyd.

Malinga-love his side on bowling action-how he gets that accuracy I don't know!

If this was on tele it would be a Yes Prime Minister or Benny Hill storyline about Gayle. here goes:

Gayle and the board tussles (Gayle was the faoured son of the past President of the board and got away with sledging, open dissent/confrontation to and with Umpires etc)

Gayle is banned and trudges off his merry way T20 etc and the board picks the barely functional D. Sammy as Captain (guaranteed captaincy over a number of Series).

Gayle (and other players) and the board trade blows via the anti board player's union and a court case is filed based on restraint of trade-in other words you can't prevent a player from playing IPL.

The Board and Gayle via political pressure meet hug and make up with the condition that the restraint of trade lawsuit is dropped and Gayle will rejoin after the IPL and forego his Somerset contract and play for the T20) and one day tour of England and t20 WC.

Gayle refuses to withdraw from the lawsuit saying other players were involve-note WIPA is the Plaintiff.

I have a headache...:o:(:mad:

Just reread my contributions a bit-and I would like to apologize for bringing up WI cricket and the state it is in-as it sounds like a broken record and really does nothing for the quality of the posts nor the thread.

Mumbai Indians 197 for 6 (Pollard 64, Rayudu 47*) beat Rajasthan Royals 170 (Shah 76, Rahane 40, Munaf 4-28)

Clarke the best captain going around at the moment? I know he has only been in the job a year but maybe its just because there is a very modest bunch of captains out there at the moment.

Good win. The whole tour has been a lot tighter than I expected. Hope to see a dominative performance soon. Well done WI's for making it extremely tough.

Clarke the best captain going around at the moment? I know he has only been in the job a year but maybe its just because there is a very modest bunch of captains out there at the moment.

Good win. The whole tour has been a lot tighter than I expected. Hope to see a dominative performance soon. Well done WI's for making it extremely tough.

Tbh mate-not seeing him as the tactical type captain a la Waugh or Aggressive type under Pointing..still a ways to go.

It was a good win as you were behind the 8 ball most of the ways-and took the chance afforded them.

The next match In Port-of Spain should be interesting.:)

West Indies squad called up for Port-of Spain test: Bear in mind the matches so far this season has been low scoring and the wicket taking lots of spin-however with a sprinkling of rain may have some moisture early on.

Darren Sammy (captain), Kirk Edwards, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh (wicket-keeper), Devendra Bishoo, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Kieran Powell, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Shane Shillingford.

I think I saw somewhere the Aussies might look to Lyon and Beer in their attack.

West Indies squad called up for Port-of Spain test: Bear in mind the matches so far this season has been low scoring and the wicket taking lots of spin-however with a sprinkling of rain may have some moisture early on.

Darren Sammy (captain)' date=' Kirk Edwards, Adrian Barath, Carlton Baugh (wicket-keeper), Devendra Bishoo, Kraigg Brathwaite, Darren Bravo, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Kieran Powell, Ravi Rampaul, Kemar Roach, Shane Shillingford.

I think I saw somewhere the Aussies might look to Lyon and Beer in their attack.[/quote']

It won't happen. We will have the same attack I am fairly sure. We may not have done it when we had MacGill and Warne but Lyon and Beer surely won't happen.

Tbh mate-not seeing him as the tactical type captain a la Waugh or Aggressive type under Pointing..still a ways to go.

It was a good win as you were behind the 8 ball most of the ways-and took the chance afforded them.

The next match In Port-of Spain should be interesting.:)

He is more aggressive with his field than Ponting. I prefer Clarke's style so far over Ponting's. Time will tell though.

It won't happen. We will have the same attack I am fairly sure. We may not have done it when we had MacGill and Warne but Lyon and Beer surely won't happen.

He is more aggressive with his field than Ponting. I prefer Clarke's style so far over Ponting's. Time will tell though.

That reminds me of when Lara was given captaincy..at the start he was called innovative/aggressive then it was shifted to naive/floundering with respect to field placings..lol

That said it's easier to set filed placings when you have the bowlers/fieldsman to exploit them. Gradually-WI has become more athletic in the field (with respect to recent years).

Another hard day at the Office-another pitch that takes spin on the first day..and as soon as the hardness leaves the ball its a subcontinent wicket..

Watson again showed great resilience for 50 odd.

Beginning to wonder why the WI chose two off spinners though..and Beer and Lyon see to figure mate:)

West Indies 252 for 9 (Baugh 17*, Edwards 0*, Lyon 5-68) trail Australia 311 by 59 runs

Chanders 6 short-bowling around the wicket again. Good bowling by Lyon but with defensive batting :(

Well the weather's put paid to the match-with advantage Aussie. On to Dominica.

sbn5og.jpg

Seems we been sliding down the run rate tables for quite a while now.

Assad Fudadin has been called up to the squad- a 26 year old (who has represented WI at junior levels and was hyped as one with a bright future) Guyanese left handed middle order batsman who bowls a bit. Averages about 36 in first class matches.

Matty Wade. Well done. Heard it was a beauty of an innings.

yeah it was-too little cricket has been seen in this test-in relation to the caliber played.

Lovely battle between Kemar and Punter-too bad his bowling partners tended to be indifferent on occasions.

Btw seems pitches were the subject of Mark Ramprakash's tirade also except this time in England.

yeah it was-too little cricket has been seen in this test-in relation to the caliber played.

Lovely battle between Kemar and Punter-too bad his bowling partners tended to be indifferent on occasions.

Btw seems pitches were the subject of Mark Ramprakash's tirade also except this time in England.

It might follow on from their battle at the WACA when Ponting had to retire hurt from a brutal delivery.

It might follow on from their battle at the WACA when Ponting had to retire hurt from a brutal delivery.

2-0 to Australia with Wade named man of the match -wonder if he will be retained?

Chanderpaul -10k runs and man of the series-at 37 one wonders how much is left in the tank-especially as he tends to criticize Otis Gibson in public.Great performances in the series.

West Indies test touring party to England:

Darren Sammy (capt); Kirk Edwards (vice-capt); Adrian Barath; Darren Bravo; Shivnarine Chanderpaul; Narsingh Deonarine; Fidel Edwards; Assad Fudadin; Shannon Gabriel; Kieran Powell; Kemar Roach; Denesh Ramdin; Ravi Rampaul; Marlon Samuels; Shane Shillingford

Glad they stuck with Barath-but even happier that the best batsman/wicketkeeper the WI has produced over the last couyple years have been picked-Ramdin. Shilliford wins the lone spinner spot over Bishoo and the selectors have gone for a decent pace attack on an expected early season English pitches with Shannon Gabriel-a right arm medium fast bowler who's improved a bit.

2-0 to Australia with Wade named man of the match -wonder if he will be retained?

Chanderpaul -10k runs and man of the series-at 37 one wonders how much is left in the tank-especially as he tends to criticize Otis Gibson in public.Great performances in the series.

West Indies test touring party to England:

Darren Sammy (capt); Kirk Edwards (vice-capt); Adrian Barath; Darren Bravo; Shivnarine Chanderpaul; Narsingh Deonarine; Fidel Edwards; Assad Fudadin; Shannon Gabriel; Kieran Powell; Kemar Roach; Denesh Ramdin; Ravi Rampaul; Marlon Samuels; Shane Shillingford

Glad they stuck with Barath-but even happier that the best batsman/wicketkeeper the WI has produced over the last couyple years have been picked-Ramdin. Shilliford wins the lone spinner spot over Bishoo and the selectors have gone for a decent pace attack on an expected early season English pitches with Shannon Gabriel-a right arm medium fast bowler who's improved a bit.

Well done to Shiv, I thought I had heard he was past it but clearly not.

Haddin's spot was already under threat so I expect Wade to keep the spot.

Our boys get a break until some ODIs in June against the Poms, should be refreshed for that.

Well done to Shiv' date=' I thought I had heard he was past it but clearly not.

Haddin's spot was already under threat so I expect Wade to keep the spot.

Our boys get a break until some ODIs in June against the Poms, should be refreshed for that.[/quote']

Well his style (Shiv's) is pretty low risk and at 37 he may be on his way out -his demise was exaggerated because of his public spats with Otis Gibson-the new coach/manager when he publicly complained of being told how to bat and chastised at team meetings like an errant school boy.

Well at least you now have two decent keepers-very few test playing countries can boast about that. But I daresay Wade may be able to make the side as a batsman-and from this tour his glovework seems pretty solid.

Not sure what the future holds for Pointing though..

Well his style (Shiv's) is pretty low risk and at 37 he may be on his way out -his demise was exaggerated because of his public spats with Otis Gibson-the new coach/manager when he publicly complained of being told how to bat and chastised at team meetings like an errant school boy.

Well at least you now have two decent keepers-very few test playing countries can boast about that. But I daresay Wade may be able to make the side as a batsman-and from this tour his glovework seems pretty solid.

Not sure what the future holds for Pointing though..

For the West Indies sake, i hope not. It's amazing how often i've turned the TV on over the year when the West Indies are playing and in dire straits and he's been 60/70/80 not out. He's still doing that now. Whilst there's no one who can follow in his footsteps and he's still churning out the runs, then, really, he should be undroppable. As i've said before, if the WI had two Chanderpauls, they'd be winning Test Matches on a regular basis. Brilliant, brilliant batsmen, one of my all time favourites.

Now, i have two complaints: Australia have gone up to Number 3 in the World. Why? They've gone above Pakistan. This is an Australian side that failed to beat New Zealand at home. Second complaint: Why is Vernon Philander playing in the County Championship? He'll be back over here in a couple of months. See, i didn't mind Phil Hughes coming over here as he was useless. But Philander's class and for us to give him practise and getting used to the conditions time ahead of the test series, is plain suicide.

Philander seems to have started so well over here that I doubt he'd have needed any practise :o

Seems pretty stupid to start the whole county season this early anyway' date=' it's virtually impossible to win a game with the amount of rain.[/quote']

That maybe but he certainly won't need any more practise when the tests start.

For the West Indies sake' date=' i hope not. It's amazing how often i've turned the TV on over the year when the West Indies are playing and in dire straits and he's been 60/70/80 not out. He's still doing that now. Whilst there's no one who can follow in his footsteps and he's still churning out the runs, then, really, he should be undroppable. As i've said before, if the WI had two Chanderpauls, they'd be winning Test Matches on a regular basis. Brilliant, brilliant batsmen, one of my all time favourites.

Now, i have two complaints: Australia have gone up to Number 3 in the World. Why? They've gone above Pakistan. This is an Australian side that failed to beat New Zealand at home. Second complaint: Why is Vernon Philander playing in the County Championship? He'll be back over here in a couple of months. See, i didn't mind Phil Hughes coming over here as he was useless. But Philander's class and for us to give him practise and getting used to the conditions time ahead of the test series, is plain suicide.[/quote']

They tried the two Chanderpauls-by importing an Aussie version and you saw how that turned out.

Seems like in football clubs are more important than country -since that's where the lucrative deals are.

Philander seems to have started so well over here that I doubt he'd have needed any practise :o

Seems pretty stupid to start the whole county season this early anyway' date=' it's virtually impossible to win a game with the amount of rain.[/quote']

Maybe because of other sports seasons?

For the West Indies sake' date=' i hope not. It's amazing how often i've turned the TV on over the year when the West Indies are playing and in dire straits and he's been 60/70/80 not out. He's still doing that now. Whilst there's no one who can follow in his footsteps and he's still churning out the runs, then, really, he should be undroppable. As i've said before, if the WI had two Chanderpauls, they'd be winning Test Matches on a regular basis. Brilliant, brilliant batsmen, one of my all time favourites.

Now, i have two complaints: Australia have gone up to Number 3 in the World. Why? They've gone above Pakistan. This is an Australian side that failed to beat New Zealand at home. Second complaint: Why is Vernon Philander playing in the County Championship? He'll be back over here in a couple of months. See, i didn't mind Phil Hughes coming over here as he was useless. But Philander's class and for us to give him practise and getting used to the conditions time ahead of the test series, is plain suicide.[/quote']

The reason we are able to be at number 3 is because every other nation is inconsistent too. The next test series against South Africa will be a big one though.