The Official Cricket Thread

Kroitzz

Re: Official Cricket Thread

The reason we are able to be at number 3 is because every other nation is inconsistent too. The next test series against South Africa will be a big one though.

Yeah but Pakistan have just whitewashed the Number 1 side, surely they should be in the Top 3? They're clearly a stronger side then Australia who made hard work of beating a one man West Indian team.

Yeah but Pakistan have just whitewashed the Number 1 side' date=' surely they should be in the Top 3? They're clearly a stronger side then Australia who made hard work of beating a one man West Indian team.[/quote']

The rankings are based over a period of time-so it's more of a league table that benefits consistent performances-something that's been the bane of Pakistan's cricket (although personally I believe they have been discriminated against in other ways).

Team positions with rating points

1. England 116

2. South Africa 116

3. Australia 112

4. India 111

5. Pakistan 108

6. Sri Lanka 99

7. West Indies 85

8. New Zealand 85

9. Bangladesh 8

1znsivc.png

Yeah but Pakistan have just whitewashed the Number 1 side' date=' surely they should be in the Top 3? They're clearly a stronger side then Australia who made hard work of beating a one man West Indian team.[/quote']

I would have no problem with them being ahead of us and South Africa but I don't think you can say we don't deserve to be there. We won in Sri Lanka, drew in South Africa, demolished an Indian side that every expected to thrash us and won in the West Indies. The only real blotch was against New Zealand, who did play very well in that second test.

I would have no problem with them being ahead of us and South Africa but I don't think you can say we don't deserve to be there. We won in Sri Lanka' date=' drew in South Africa, demolished an Indian side that every expected to thrash us and won in the West Indies. The only real blotch was against New Zealand, who did play very well in that second test.[/quote']

I'm going to be extremely dismissive here: That Sri Lankan side are awful. They only drew against England due to England's pathetic record against playing spin. Even then, without Jayawardene, England would have won. That Indian side had just come off a hiding against England, they were completely shot by the time they went to Australia. And as for the West Indies, they're just rubbish. The only creditable result out of them was the Series against South Africa who will show how good, or otherwise, they are when then they come to England. Number 3's too high for this Australian side.

I'm going to be extremely dismissive here: That Sri Lankan side are awful. They only drew against England due to England's pathetic record against playing spin. Even then' date=' without Jayawardene, England would have won. That Indian side had just come off a hiding against England, they were completely shot by the time they went to Australia. And as for the West Indies, they're just rubbish. The only creditable result out of them was the Series against South Africa who will show how good, or otherwise, they are when then they come to England. Number 3's too high for this Australian side.[/quote']

Although I disagree with your verdict on India (many big names weren't involved against England and were against us) and Sri Lanka, if every other team is rubbish then shouldn't we be at number 3? You can argue 4 at the lowest. My argument would be for Pakistan at 2 and then South Africa on par with us. I've said this many times but South Africa should be number one but they just don't perform. One test series win at home in 3 years I think it is. That puts us ahead of them.

Although I disagree with your verdict on India (many big names weren't involved against England and were against us) and Sri Lanka' date=' if every other team is rubbish then shouldn't we be at number 3? You can argue 4 at the lowest. My argument would be for Pakistan at 2 and then South Africa on par with us. I've said this many times but South Africa should be number one but they just don't perform. One test series win at home in 3 years I think it is. That puts us ahead of them.[/quote']

I.e Zaheer Kahn. I think Pakistan still have to perform away before they can justify putting them at 2. I'd have it England 1 South Africa 2 Pakistan 3 Australia 4. For Australia to prove themselves as being a good side, they'd have to beat one of England or Pakistan away, in my eyes.

I.e Zaheer Kahn. I think Pakistan still have to perform away before they can justify putting them at 2. I'd have it England 1 South Africa 2 Pakistan 3 Australia 4. For Australia to prove themselves as being a good side' date=' they'd have to beat one of England or Pakistan away, in my eyes.[/quote']

Sorry, I must be mistaken, I didn't think Tendulker and Sehwag featured much/at all.

South Africa need to just prove themselves. They have been so useless. I enjoy watching many of their players but they just don't perform.

I think we can do it and it will be interesting to see how we perform in tests after about a 7 month break.

Sorry' date=' I must be mistaken, I didn't think Tendulker and Sehwag featured much/at all.

South Africa need to just prove themselves. They have been so useless. I enjoy watching many of their players but they just don't perform.

I think we can do it and it will be interesting to see how we perform in tests after about a 7 month break.[/quote']

Sehwag didn't play a lot, now i recall. He's such an idiot, he wouldn't have made an iota of difference.

Sehwag didn't play a lot' date=' now i recall. He's such an idiot, he wouldn't have made an iota of difference.[/quote']

He can make a lot of difference but he just hasn't recently. Mind you his average is very good for a player with his extravagant stroke play.

Gayle has pulled out of his Somerset contract so looks like he could be back for the West Indies. Good news for them but from a Somerset point of view' date=' Gayle shouldn't be signing a contract then deciding he's changed his mind a few months later.[/quote']

He would have destroyed the tournament. But, then again he would have to contend with swing. Something there seems to be absolutely none of in the IPL. But a shame as it would have made Sky's few matches a lot more appetising.

They have signed Du Plessis instead now, he should absolutely boss the competition. Seems very very good in the IPL and should be able to handle swing a bit better.

He would have destroyed the tournament. But' date=' then again he would have to contend with swing[/b']. Something there seems to be absolutely none of in the IPL. But a shame as it would have made Sky's few matches a lot more appetising.

They have signed Du Plessis instead now, he should absolutely boss the competition. Seems very very good in the IPL and should be able to handle swing a bit better.

Well there is the contemplation of legal action-since Gayle already signed the Somerset contract-and it was not part of the original deal brokered between WICB and him.

Gayle and swing? Gayle's style of batting depends on hand eye coordination , brute force and a good eye-what the bowler does is largely irrelevant, except for the odd flighty spinner or clever spin operator. In basketball he would be termed a streak shooter..

Gayle and swing? Gayle's style of batting depends on hand eye coordination ' date=' brute force and a good eye-what the bowler does is largely irrelevant, except for the odd flighty spinner or clever spin operator. In basketball he would be termed a streak shooter..[/quote']

It is a heck of a lot easier to smash a ball over the bowlers head when the pitch doesn't do anything, like in the IPL. When it swings in and then moves away off the pitch it is a lot lot harder. Trust me on that one.

A good swing bowler would get Gayle if he went all guns blazing, mark my words on that one.

It is a heck of a lot easier to smash a ball over the bowlers head when the pitch doesn't do anything' date=' like in the IPL. When it swings in and then moves away off the pitch it is a lot lot harder. [b']Trust me on that one.[/b]

A good swing bowler would get Gayle if he went all guns blazing, mark my words on that one.

I do-and that sums up the enigma of one C. Gayle..;)

He would have destroyed the tournament. But' date=' then again he would have to contend with swing. Something there seems to be absolutely none of in the IPL. But a shame as it would have made Sky's few matches a lot more appetising.

[b']They have signed Du Plessis instead now, he should absolutely boss the competition. Seems very very good in the IPL and should be able to handle swing a bit better.[/b]

Great player.

Seen him play throughout the IPL so far, and he seems to be pretty good. He can pace the innings nicely, whilst having the strength to find the boundaries when required. I think he's in the top 5 leading run scorers so far - played 11 matches, getting a total of 376 runs meaning an average of 37!

Another obvious star of the IPL so far is Rahane, who looks class! If he carries on, I can see him playing for India soon.

Forgot to mention this, but the other night, Gayle hit a huge six which went out the ground, the highest six in the tournament so far - 111M to be exact! :eek:

Strange week so far in cricket..

Mitchell Starc, the Australia left-arm quick, will not be able to make his Yorkshire debut this week after being deported following a visa error that initially led to him being detained at Heathrow for more than four hours.

Have not seen much of him to be honest but hope all that hassle is worth it.

Raining cats and dogs..Gibson hopes the WI can take the Lord test to 4 days, the savior of WI cricket with the dubious faster ball has arrived from the IPL , Gayle will be there -so all in all should be an interesting series with England heavily favored to win unless the weather or Chanderpaul et al gets in the way.

Strange week so far in cricket..

Mitchell Starc' date=' the Australia left-arm quick, will not be able to make his Yorkshire debut this week after being deported following a visa error that initially led to him being detained at Heathrow for more than four hours.

Have not seen much of him to be honest but hope all that hassle is worth it.

Raining cats and dogs..[b']Gibson hopes the WI can take the Lord test to 4 days[/b], the savior of WI cricket with the dubious faster ball has arrived from the IPL , Gayle will be there -so all in all should be an interesting series with England heavily favored to win unless the weather or Chanderpaul et al gets in the way.

That's ambitious. Especially when we'll probably lose at least 1 day to the rain.

That's ambitious. Especially when we'll probably lose at least 1 day to the rain.

Actually if we take a fine for slow over rate and lose 1 day for rain..and the time Strauss takes to get himself in nick we might just make it..

On the optimistic side this is the perfect series for someone to man up-there is little pressure as England is expected to win handsomely thus a bit of fire from the bowlers a la Roach just short of a good length, and enterprising batting might catch a complacent England.

Btw does wales have a cricket side? or do the Welsh play for England?

Actually if we take a fine for slow over rate and lose 1 day for rain..and the time Strauss takes to get himself in nick we might just make it..

On the optimistic side this is the perfect series for someone to man up-there is little pressure as England is expected to win handsomely thus a bit of fire from the bowlers a la Roach just short of a good length' date=' and enterprising batting might catch a complacent England.

[b']Btw does wales have a cricket side? or do the Welsh play for England?[/b]

I believe so but obviously any talented ones, Croft, Jones, will be nicked by England.

I believe so but obviously any talented ones' date=' Croft, Jones, will be nicked by England.[/quote']

Pity that-but then again might be best (although they do miss out on developmental funds and future tours from the ICC)

Good day for the WI batsman-getting a bit of runs under their belts while Strauss playus himself into good nick. It seems Bopara fitness is in question though..

Possible squad Andrew Strauss (capt), Alastair Cook, Jonathan Trott, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara/Jonny Bairstow, Matt Prior (wk), Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Steven Finn, Graham Onions

Btw besides Prior any other wicketkeepers that may be up for the test job?

Edit: Rather unusual way to lose a warm up match..but hey watching the WI is never boring-unless Chanders is batting :D

Excellent bowling by Broad - and as expected Chanders stands somewhat alone-glad Barath got a bit of runs as I foolishly expect performances that reflect his potential.

Pity about the Run out though-but sums up the kind of day the WI had.

Hoping Chanders gets his century -but looks unlikely.

Unlikely to say the least..and here we start our rain dance :)

RainDAnceBigJPEG.jpg

Nice century by Strauss that should keep you guys off his back-but really Sammy's captaincy leaves a bit to be desired..So hoping that we can limit England to 350 odd..and let mother nature do the rest.:(