The Official Cricket Thread

Kroitzz

Re: Official Cricket Thread

I thought we would edge this ODI series, I know its only two games in so there is time for my prediction to be right but we have been useless. The team just looks weak. I don't know why Pattinson isn't playing and Johnson is. I also think Hilfy should be in there as he has proven to be a great bowler for us over the last year and England he will be all the better. I feel we have taken two steps back. I don't know why Christian isn't playing, maybe he is injured and I just haven't heard about it. Mike Hussey is a massive loss and it shows that we don't have a replacement for him yet.

Cummins injured again. I don't think he will cut it at international level because he is already showing to be too injury prone.

Also want Cameron White to return to form because I believe he is better than George Bailey.

Watson

Warner

Clarke

Forrest

White

D. Hussey

Christian

Wade

Lee

Pattinson

Hilfenhaus

I think that would be a better team. Get 10 over between Hussey, Christian, Clarke and Warner. Hussey and Christian are proven to be good ODI bowlers while Clarke and Warner could be thrown the ball for a couple of overs perhaps if needed.

Also I don't understand the rankings. If England win the series 5-0 they go to number 1? I don't think Australia deserve to be number 2 but surely someone like India or Sri Lanka deserve it...

My rant of despair is over. Thank you for reading.

I I don't know why Christian isn't playing' date=' maybe he is injured and I just haven't heard about it.

Mike Hussey is a massive loss and it shows that we don't have a replacement for him yet.

Cummins injured again. I don't think he will cut it at international level because he is already showing to be too injury prone.

Also want Cameron White to return to form because I believe he is better than George Bailey.

Watson

Warner

Clarke

Forrest

White

D. Hussey

Christian

Wade

Lee

Pattinson

Hilfenhaus

I think that would be a better team. Get 10 over between Hussey, Christian, Clarke and Warner. Hussey and Christian are proven to be good ODI bowlers while Clarke and Warner could be thrown the ball for a couple of overs perhaps if needed.

Also I don't understand the rankings. If England win the series 5-0 they go to number 1? I don't think Australia deserve to be number 2 but surely someone like India or Sri Lanka deserve it...

My rant of despair is over. Thank you for reading.[/quote']

Was wondering the same about Christian ..

Takes a while to replace someone like Hussey tbh

You get more points for beating a team ahead of you than below you in the table so I guess they would rack up enough points to overtake Australia.

Actually I think part of the reason for the performances so far is that the Australian side has come in a bit underdone since these may be their first matches of 2012..

Was wondering the same about Christian ..

Takes a while to replace someone like Hussey tbh

You get more points for beating a team ahead of you than below you in the table so I guess they would rack up enough points to overtake Australia.

Actually I think part of the reason for the performances so far is that the Australian side has come in a bit underdone since these may be their first matches of 2012..

True but I do think we have been abysmal so far.

I think it will be easier for us to replace Hussey in the test matches. I've been saying for a couple of years now that I think Khawaja is the man but I think the selectors want Forrest in there. He has a poor domestic 50 over record. The selectors put him in the team when we were down on players just for him to gain some international experience and he exceeded expectations scoring 100+ in one of his first games. He is seen as more of a Test player.

True but I do think we have been abysmal so far.

I think it will be easier for us to replace Hussey in the test matches. I've been saying for a couple of years now that I think Khawaja is the man but I think the selectors want Forrest in there. He has a poor domestic 50 over record. The selectors put him in the team when we were down on players just for him to gain some international experience and he exceeded expectations scoring 100+ in one of his first games. He is seen as more of a Test player.

Well it's just a dry run for most teams as the T20 in Sri Lanka is the big fixture of the year-but you are right dreadful form and difficult opponents put England in the driving seat.

Wasn't Khawaja cut from his national contract btw and left his county to join Queensland? Hope it works out in his favor-hes got good technique-solid player

Well it's just a dry run for most teams as the T20 in Sri Lanka is the big fixture of the year-but you are right dreadful form and difficult opponents put England in the driving seat.

Wasn't Khawaja cut from his national contract btw and left his county to join Queensland? Hope it works out in his favor-hes got good technique-solid player

Yeah you are right but I think it'll help him develop. He's a class act and as you say great technique. He's 25 so I think the next two seasons will be make or break for him.

Really really disappointed with the Kiwis performances so far in the West Indies. Ordinary cricket-and although fielding a weakened team, what has happened to a team who a few years ago was seen as dark horses in the ODI and T20 format?

The team as whole lacked nous in playing spin and seemed ineffectual bowling at Gayle-that should be bowling without a plan.But I guess it's the thinking of the t20 World cup later on -never mind the 11 tests they have.

All this while Jesse Ryder is fighting some radio host...

It's sad when a sportsman has to cut short his career due to injury-and it seems Mark Boucher has called it a day after being hit in the eye by a dislodged bail..

Boucher played 147 Tests and currently holds the world record for most dismissals by a wicketkeeper with 555.

He also claimed 425 dismissals in one day internationals.

Mark Boucher's Test career

The three-time South African player of the year (1998, 2000 and 2006) finishes with a Test batting average of 30.30, having scored 5515 runs, and a one day international batting average of 28.57, from 4686 runs scored.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/18778820

Lee has retired from international cricket. Great player' date=' could have been much better if it wasn't for the injuries. Just as he was becoming the leader of our bowling attack, he got injured quite severely.[/quote']

Pretty awesome bowler at his peak and rivaled Shoaib for the fastest in the world.

But with his pace and action he would have struggled as he got older with injuries.

Kind of reminds me of Donald the SA white lightning-pity his best years were spent banned :(

Any word of Watson? As both of them were sent back to Austrailia after getting injured?

Sad to hear about Boucher and Lee retiring from international cricket. Both of them were great players for their respective teams and helped them win matches on many occasions.

Mark Boucher decided to retire after being hit on his left eye by a bail. he was in the team for 14 years and wanted to get his 150th cap for his country on this tour. On the hand an awesome bowler Brett Lee, i miss the times when Lee and Akhtar were all over the batsmen and both trying to break the 100 miles/hr barrier with Akhtar achieving it. Lee was consistent throughout his career, bowling fast and that too with good line and length.

Both the legends will be missed in the cricketing world.

Sad to hear about Boucher and Lee retiring from international cricket. Both of them were great players for their respective teams and helped them win matches on many occasions.

Mark Boucher decided to retire after being hit on his left eye by a bail. he was in the team for 14 years and wanted to get his 150th cap for his country on this tour. On the hand an awesome bowler Brett Lee' date=' i miss the times when Lee and Akhtar were all over the batsmen and both trying to break the 100 miles/hr barrier with Akhtar achieving it. Lee was consistent throughout his career, bowling fast and that too with good line and length.

Both the legends will be missed in the cricketing world.[/quote']

Well to be fair-the games become a batsman game..

Glad to have seen both Akhtar and Lee at their best :)

yes mate i cant see any fast and furious bowler in any team now a days who can really be compared with the likes of akhtar, lee, wasim, waqar, a.donald, ambrose(a few that i have seen giving batsmen a taste of fear).

Latest news is that Kevin Pietersen might reconsider his retirement from limited overs game in order to play for England in the upcoming T20 world cup.

yes mate i cant see any fast and furious bowler in any team now a days who can really be compared with the likes of akhtar' date=' lee, wasim, waqar, a.donald, ambrose(a few that i have seen giving batsmen a taste of fear).

Latest news is that Kevin Pietersen might reconsider his retirement from limited overs game in order to play for England in the upcoming T20 world cup.[/quote']

yeah well it strikes me as KP was just trying to make a point with that announcement.

Pretty awesome that list of fast bowlers btw..pity there are not much that seem to be following in their footsteps while batsmen demolish stats..

Pretty awesome bowler at his peak and rivaled Shoaib for the fastest in the world.

But with his pace and action he would have struggled as he got older with injuries.

Kind of reminds me of Donald the SA white lightning-pity his best years were spent banned :(

Any word of Watson? As both of them were sent back to Austrailia after getting injured?

Nah I haven't heard anything about Watson. Hope he is back soon though as he is a vital part of our side.

Also we move up to number 2 in the test rankings. Although I do think that, that ranking flatters us, we have been playing some decent Test cricket. Hopefully we can build on it and be ready to fight for that urn next year.

Nah I haven't heard anything about Watson. Hope he is back soon though as he is a vital part of our side.

Also we move up to number 2 in the test rankings. Although I do think that' date=' that ranking flatters us, we have been playing some decent Test cricket. Hopefully we can build on it and be ready to fight for that urn next year.[/quote']

Well hope he does..never hit his full potential

Congrats-while the side is in flux at the moment -they are difficult to beat for most sides, first step in winning.

Finally saw the Kiwis do a bit in the series-Watlings doing well and Taylor. While NZ manager Wright I think is gonna step down after the tour..

• 2 weeks later...

Well the Wi vs Kiwi series is going along as expected -with Guptil and taylor major contributors to the Kiwi's score of 260 in return the WI are 11 without loss.

when Graeme Smith was reprieved following an edge to first slip, off a delivery from Steven Finn that had already been called dead ball, due to the bowler dislodging the bails at the non-striker's end with his knee.

Seems Finn has a habit of knocking into the stumps quite a bit..:)

Quick round up!

South Africa 419

England 48/0 (18.0 ov)

England trail by 371 runs with 10 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

New Zealand 260 & 23/0 (9.2 ov)

West Indies 209

New Zealand lead by 74 runs with 10 wickets remaining

Good innings from Samuel who scored a century.

Maybe it's time to consider having Cricket as an Olympic Sport maybe 15 Over match 10 aside or some variation.

As all club cricketers know, bad balls get wickets. Tahir serves up the rankest of full tosses, an absolute pie. Trott doesn't know which stand to hit it in, and eventually decides to shovel it into the leg side, just past the dive of 12th man Faf du Plessis.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/19120265 :D next over he's out btw.

New Zealand 260 and 59 for 2 (Guptill 42, Deonarine 2-3) lead West Indies 209 (Samuels 123, Boult 3-58, Bracewell 3-46) by 110 runs

Should make this interesting..

ICC U19 CWC 2012 Tournament is about to get underway in Australia

England batsman Kevin Pietersen is keen on playing the Indian Premier League's entire next edition at the expense of the home series against New Zealand, and hinted that he might even call it quits to Test cricket if England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) rejects his request.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/270154/pietersen-ecb-let-me-play.html

Seems he also a bit miffed about some tweets that either originate or are followed by his team mates..tweets like these:

"Note to ex-pros. Make sure you're better than KP before you have a pop. Which means unless you're Don Bradman, keep your mouth shut." (30 July)

"We've lost 5 Tests this year and to be honest, KP doesn't want to be associated with a team full of losers. Read into that what you will."

"All these gold medals makes me wish Cricket was in the Olympics. If it was, in 4 years I'll be South African again so we would have a shout."

"KP going to start a petition to increase prices of Test tickets. You should have to pay at least 3 figures to watch genius' like KP."

"Kids, if you want to be a decent spinner like KP then you need 5 things: flight, guile, grip, rip and genius."

Well the ICC under 19 WC is almost upon us and

Afghanistan's batsmen carried them to 257, setting up a 101-run victory against Ireland in an U-19 World Cup warm-up game in Brisbane
Seamer Gurinder Sandhu and batsman Jimmy Peirson starred in Australia's 71-run win over Scotland in Brisbane. Australia put up 315 runs after Peirson smashed his way to a 123-ball 128. Scotland stayed in contention during the chase, courtesy Mathew Cross' 104, but Sandhu's five-wicket haul, which included a hat-trick, finished the contest.

Great stuff so far.

It's been noted that 5 of the future stars of the tournament are:

Kurtis Patterson -Batsman, Australia and Vice Captain

Anamul Haque- Batsman, Bangladesh

Reece Topley -Fast bowler, England

Baba Aparajith- Allrounder, India

Jacob Duffy- Fast bowler, New Zealand

and to be frank I have never heard of any bar one of them..hope cricinfo is right..

Thank God we got something else to talk about than K.P's twitter..

Well the ICC under 19 WC is almost upon us and

Great stuff so far.

It's been noted that 5 of the future stars of the tournament are:

Kurtis Patterson -Batsman' date=' Australia and Vice Captain

Anamul Haque- Batsman, Bangladesh

Reece Topley -Fast bowler, England

Baba Aparajith- Allrounder, India

Jacob Duffy- Fast bowler, New Zealand

and to be frank I have never heard of any bar one of them..hope cricinfo is right..

Thank God we got something else to talk about than K.P's twitter..[/quote']

I haven't heard of them either! Hopefully this Patterson is good because we need good, young batsmen coming up.