Sign in to follow this  
Kroitzz

The Official Cricket Thread

Re: Official Cricket Thread

Hughesy Rest in Peace

Abbott Live in Peace

Thoughts are with his family at the tragic time. Thoughts also go out to Sean Abbott, who must be devastated beyond comprehension.

The cricket world is in a state of shock.

The Telegraph's obituary shows what kind of a player he was - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11257138/Phillip-Hughes-obituary.html

Hughesy Rest in Peace

Abbott Live in Peace

Thoughts are with his family at the tragic time. Thoughts also go out to Sean Abbott' date=' who must be devastated beyond comprehension.

The cricket world is in a state of shock.

The Telegraph's obituary shows what kind of a player he was - [url']http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/11257138/Phillip-Hughes-obituary.html[/url]

So sad and shocked. I didn't expect this outcome.

Horrific news. Just terrible. Completely stunned by it. Hopefully someone will grab the poor bowler by the shoulders and tell him repeatedly he hasn't done anything wrong, because he hasn't. I've never been so horrified by anything on the sporting stage.

Doctors say it was an extremely rare case as the ball didn't hit on the back of the head. It hit him on the neck but somehow it created an internal hemorrhage inside the head. Batsmen with helmets should almost never end up with this kind of fate. Highly unfortunate.

hughes_sl_4_2223654g.jpg

Hughes death was shocking to hear about, especially in such a freak accident. Then

An Israeli umpire Hillel Awasker was killed when he was struck by a ball during a league game in the port city of Ashdod, just south of Tel Aviv.
:eek:

In other news New Zealand 690 (McCullum 202, Williamson 192, Rahat 4-99) beat Pakistan 351 (Hafeez 197, Craig 7-94) and 259 (Shafiq 137, Boult 4-38) by an innings and 80 runs and square the series 1-1.

Mohammad Hafeez, the Pakistan allrounder who bowls offspin, has been suspended from bowling in international cricket after he failed a test on his action conducted at an ICC accredited centre in Loughborough, England. This follows on from WI Sunil Narine, Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake, New Zealand's Kane Williamson, Zimbabwe's Prosper Utseya, Pakistan's Ajmal and Bangladesh's Sohag Gazi also suspended for suspect action.

Good to see the ICC trying to put back the worms in the can...

Meanwhile Sri Lanka 267 for 4 (Sangakkara 86, Mathews 51*) beat England 265 (Taylor 90, Morgan 62, Herath 3-36) by six wickets.

Whats rather interesting is that Morgan has been quoted as saying the side missed Tredwell as they fielded Stokes instead. Can't be good in a warm up series for Tredwell's confidence.

Mohammad Hafeez' date=' the Pakistan allrounder who bowls offspin, has been suspended from bowling in international cricket after he failed a test on his action conducted at an ICC accredited centre in Loughborough, England. This follows on from WI Sunil Narine, Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake, New Zealand's Kane Williamson, Zimbabwe's Prosper Utseya, Pakistan's Ajmal and Bangladesh's Sohag Gazi also suspended for suspect action.

Meanwhile Sri Lanka 267 for 4 (Sangakkara 86, Mathews 51*) beat England 265 (Taylor 90, Morgan 62, Herath 3-36) by six wickets.

Whats rather interesting is that Morgan has been quoted as saying the side missed Tredwell as they fielded Stokes instead. Can't be good in a warm up series for Tredwell's confidence.[/quote']

As a Kent supporter who saw the early years of Tredwell, I think this situation sums up the England side at the moment, Tredwell deserves his place but he wont win a world cup for you.

As a Kent supporter who saw the early years of Tredwell' date=' I think this situation sums up the England side at the moment, Tredwell deserves his place but he wont win a world cup for you.[/quote']

It was a silly statement IMO, as Captain (and taking into consideration it's really a warm up series for the WC) Morgan should have been more innovative in his captaincy and on a good batting wicket should have rounded on his batters who threw their wickets away.

There are players in every team who won't do something special, but their performances will keep things tight until your match winners click.

Mohammad Hafeez' date=' the Pakistan allrounder who bowls offspin, has been suspended from bowling in international cricket after he failed a test on his action conducted at an ICC accredited centre in Loughborough, England. This follows on from WI Sunil Narine, Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake, New Zealand's Kane Williamson, Zimbabwe's Prosper Utseya, Pakistan's Ajmal and Bangladesh's Sohag Gazi also suspended for suspect action.

Whats rather interesting is that Morgan has been quoted as saying the side missed Tredwell as they fielded Stokes instead. Can't be good in a warm up series for Tredwell's confidence.[/quote']

I think some of the bans are harsh, especially Narine's.

I think some of the bans are harsh' date=' especially Narine's.[/quote']

I would respectfully disagree as what has been taking place is that spinners have been tweaking their actions to gain variety, and have been overindulging in SOME deliveries as in Narine case.

Have you noticed spinners wearing long sleeves all the time-despite high playing temperatures? That is mainly to hide the flexing of the elbow.

That said with remedial action most bowlers should regain most of the variations.

It was a silly statement IMO' date=' as Captain (and taking into consideration it's really a warm up series for the WC) Morgan should have been more innovative in his captaincy and on a good batting wicket should have rounded on his batters who threw their wickets away.

There are players in every team who won't do something special, but their performances will keep things tight until your match winners click.[/quote']

I didn't see the game but I feel England have a squad of players that deserve their place but currently don't have 2 or 3 match winners at this time, perhaps 2 or 3 of this squad will become match winners but a world cup semi final is the best we can hope for.

The advantage England have is that with so many counties playing professional cricket, we always have a few up and coming youngsters, whether they become world class is another thing but as sorry as I am for the situation in the Windies, I don't see that being the case over there.

I would respectfully disagree as what has been taking place is that spinners have been tweaking their actions to gain variety' date=' and have been overindulging in SOME deliveries as in Narine case.

Have you noticed spinners wearing long sleeves all the time-despite high playing temperatures? That is mainly to hide the flexing of the elbow.

That said with remedial action most bowlers should regain most of the variations.[/quote']

I do feel sorry for some of them though, to be one or two degrees within/ outside of the laws is impossible to tell when just simply bowling. Whether they know they are cheating with the odd ball or two is a different matter though.

perhaps if we go back to underhand bowling then this issue would disappear.

I didn't see the game but I feel England have a squad of players that deserve their place but currently don't have 2 or 3 match winners at this time' date=' perhaps 2 or 3 of this squad will become match winners but a world cup semi final is the best we can hope for.

The advantage England have is that with so many counties playing professional cricket, we always have a few up and coming youngsters, whether they become world class is another thing but as sorry as I am for the situation in the Windies, I don't see that being the case over there.[/quote']

That is the problem-and that title is too willingly foisted on those unable to carry out the task consistently. Are they luxuries in team sport-not anymore.

England has been the school of cricket for decades for WI players, as it taught them how to deal with the moving ball etc. not to mention professionalism. At the current moment down here, it's more about gardening shots and T20 dollars.

I do feel sorry for some of them though' date=' to be one or two degrees within/ outside of the laws is impossible to tell when just simply bowling. Whether they know they are cheating with the odd ball or two is a different matter though.

perhaps if we go back to underhand bowling then this issue would disappear.[/quote']

Well impoverished countries like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe and the associates I have a lot of sympathy for. As for cricketers from nations with the expertise/ resources I don't have any.

Underhand bowling eh..according to the law:

Here is the law (24-1-B)

Underarm bowling shall not be permitted except by special agreement between the two teams, before the match

interesting especially when teams can't agree on the use of DRS..

I would respectfully disagree as what has been taking place is that spinners have been tweaking their actions to gain variety' date=' and have been overindulging in SOME deliveries as in Narine case.

That said with remedial action most bowlers should regain most of the variations.[/quote']

Thing is, Narine has been highly touted as one of the best mystery bowlers for a few years now. He plays in many forms of the game, in many parts of the globe. Why has it taken so long for issue suddenly to be taken with his action?

I think the main reason is because he has/had such a strong hold on the T20 part of the game, the part of the game that brings in by far the most revenue. The game is a batting game, simply put, they need big scores and big shots to keep the majority of the public interested. I think Narine was just TOO economical for his own good.

The whole 14/15 degrees of bend rule is a load of rubbish also. I know there has to be a line somewhere, but how are you meant to tell with the naked eye? I can think of a few that have looked worse than Narine and not been reported once, never mind twice.

Thing is' date=' Narine has been highly touted as one of the best mystery bowlers for a few years now. He plays in many forms of the game, in many parts of the globe. Why has it taken so long for issue suddenly to be taken with his action?

I think the main reason is because he has/had such a strong hold on the T20 part of the game, the part of the game that brings in by far the most revenue. The game is a batting game, simply put, they need big scores and big shots to keep the majority of the public interested. I think Narine was just TOO economical for his own good.

The whole 14/15 degrees of bend rule is a load of rubbish also. I know there has to be a line somewhere, but how are you meant to tell with the naked eye? I can think of a few that have looked worse than Narine and not been reported once, never mind twice.[/quote']

He has been pretty economical and this may have put him under the microscope more than most-however he was reported under the IPL-BCCI and not the ICC, and thus can be banned from bowling in the IPL but still represent WI. He has taken it upon himself to work on his faster delivery (his illegal and stock ball).

On June 28 the ICC stated that it would clamp down on "chucking", and while it is difficult to identify with the naked eye-including the long sleeve tricks-it is up to the umpire to make the call. Whether this works-we will have to wait and see.

It is interesting though that the ball that usually gets persons in trouble is the doosra- which has been barred from use by Aussie spinners as their experts deemed it illegal-unless you have the advantages of a Murali or Bedi..

Dogged batting by the Aussies have placed them on 7 for 517 with Smith 162*, Warner 145, and Clarke 128 all making tons. Especially noteworthy was the resilience shown by Clarke in overcoming back issues to score his 28th. Unfortunately rain seems to play a large part in the days play.

279659-a41f2884-801a-11e4-bc66-b8c09b83bbf6.jpg

Sri Lanka 239 (Sangakkara 91, Woakes 6-47) v England who is yet to bat due to rain. Tredwell replacing Stokes did have a decent bowl with a haul of 1 of 10 for 33. Odd though that Bopara did not have a bowl though Woakes struck 6 times :)

Craig Kieswetter's cricketing career seems to be in limbo as he is still suffering vision problems after being struck in the eye last summer after he mistimed a pull shot against Northants' allrounder David Willey. Hope all goes well

Zimbabwe's Prosper Utseya has been cleared to bowl -just not offspin- but Sri Lanka's Senanayake and Kiwis Williamson have been cleared to bowl using a remodelled action..