Sign in to follow this  
Kroitzz

The Official Cricket Thread

Re: Official Cricket Thread

Cricket World Cup 2015 squad lists (http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/30346127)

AFGHANISTAN

Afsar Zazai (wk), Aftab Alam, Asghar Stanekzai, Dawlat Zadran, Gulbadin Naib, Hamid Hassan, Javed Ahmadi, Merwais Ashraf, Mohammad Nabi (capt), Najibullah Zadran, Nasir Jamal, Nawroz Mangal, Samiullah Shinwari, Shapoor Zadran, Usman Ghani.

AUSTRALIA

George Bailey, Michael Clarke (capt), Patrick Cummins, Xavier Doherty, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin (wk), Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Shane Watson.

BANGLADESH

Al-Amin Hossain, Anamul Haque, Arafat Sunny, Mahmudullah, Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Mominul Haque, Mushfiqur Rahim (wk), Nasir Hossain, Rubel Hossain, Sabbir Rahman, Shakib Al Hasan, Soumya Sarkar, Taijul Islam, Tamim Iqbal, Taskin Ahmed.

ENGLAND

Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Gary Ballance, Ian Bell, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Jos Buttler (wk), Steven Finn, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Eoin Morgan (capt), Joe Root, James Taylor, James Tredwell, Chris Woakes.

INDIA

Ravichandran Ashwin, Stuart Binny, Shikhar Dhawan, MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Ravindra Jadeja, Virat Kohli, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Akshar Patel, Ajinkya Rahane, Suresh Raina, Ambati Rayudu, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Rohit Sharma, Umesh Yadav.

IRELAND

Andrew Balbirnie, Peter Chase, Alex Cusack, George Dockrell, Ed Joyce, Andrew McBrine, John Mooney, Tim Murtagh, Kevin O'Brien, Niall O'Brien (wk), William Porterfield (capt), Paul Stirling, Stuart Thompson, Gary Wilson (wk), Craig Young.

NEW ZEALAND

Brendon McCullum (captain), Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, Grant Elliott, Martin Guptill, Tom Latham, Mitchell McClenaghan, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Adam Milne, Luke Ronchi (wkt), Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson.

PAKISTAN

Ahmed Shehzad, Ehsan Adil, Haris Sohail, Junaid Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq (capt), Mohammad Hafeez, Mohammad Irfan, Sarfraz Ahmed (wk), Shahid Afridi, Sohaib Maqsood, Sohail Khan, Umar Akmal, Wahab Riaz, Yasir Shah, Younus Khan.

SCOTLAND

Richie Berrington, Kyle Coetzer (vice-capt), Freddie Coleman, Matthew Cross (wk), Josh Davey, Alasdair Evans, Hamish Gardiner, Majid Haq, Michael Leask, Matt Machan, Calum MacLeod, Preston Mommsen (capt), Safyaan Sharif, Rob Taylor, Iain Wardlaw.

SOUTH AFRICA

Kyle Abbott, Hashim Amla, Farhaan Behardien, Quinton de **** (wk), AB de Villiers (capt & wk), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Aaron Phangiso, Vernon Philander, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, Imran Tahir.

SRI LANKA

Dinesh Chandimal (wk), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Rangana Herath, Mahela Jayawardene, Dimuth Karunaratne, Nuwan Kulasekara, Suranga Lakmal, Lasith Malinga (subject to fitness), Angelo Mathews (capt), Jeevan Mendis, Thisara Perera, Dhammika Prasad, Kumar Sangakkara (wk), Sachithra Senanayake, Lahiru Thirimanne.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

Shahzad, Khurram Khan, Krishna Karate, Manjula Guruge, Mohammed Tauqir (capt), Muhammad Naveed, Nasir Aziz, Roshan Mustafa, Saqlain Haider, Shaiman Anwar, Swapnil Patil.

WEST INDIES

Sulieman Benn, Darren Bravo, Jonathan Carter, Sheldon Cottrell, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder (capt), Sunil Narine, Denesh Ramdin (wk), Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons, Dwayne Smith, Jerome Taylor.

ZIMBABWE

Regis Chakabva (wk), Tendai Chatara, Chamu Chibhabha, Elton Chigumbura (capt), Craig Ervine, Tafadzwa Kamungozi, Hamilton Masakadza, Stuart Matsikenyeri, Solomon Mire, Tawanda Mupariwa, Tinashe Panyangara, Sikandar Raza, Brendan Taylor (wk), Prosper Utseya, Sean Williams.

JONATHON TROTT 163 not out off of 330 balls' date=' so pleased for him.[/quote']

Great work but is this another false dawn? Lets put this in perspective -it was a dead pitch with bowlers padding him..dead crowd-so while this knock may get some kinks out, it may be a while before England thrusts him into battle.

How low can WI go or what happens when you run out of Coffee...

After naming a World beating team to represent a chain of disparate islands..consisting of

Sulieman Benn-a man best known for open dissension to his cricket captains and non trying, Darren Bravo-more famous for using the personal reasons excuses on tour than his Lara like batting average, Jonathan Carter- a 27 year batting allrounder whose claim to fame is that he's been around the A-team and a stint in the IPL , Sheldon Cottrell-who is currently being plastered in SA, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder (capt)- a veteran of 21 ODI's appointed captain for the SA ODI series, Sunil Narine-issues still not cleared with doosra, Denesh Ramdin-loss in batting form (wk), Kemar Roach-the Theo Walcott of the WI, Andre Russell-strike rate 122 average a smidgen over 28, Darren Sammy-safe pair of hands, Marlon Samuels- marmite , Lendl Simmons-29 year old batsman sometimes keeper, Dwayne Smith- ODI average 18.32 and 31 years, Jerome Taylor-30 years and an economy rate of 4.88 in ODI's.

As regards to the omissions of Dwayne Bravo and Pollard-

Ralph Gonsalves, who brokered an agreement between the players, the WICB and players union WIPA in the wake of the abandoned tour, also contended in his two-page letter to Cameron that the omission of Bravo and Pollard "reeks of village vengeance, discrimination and victimisation" and slammed the decision as "glaringly (lacking) cricketing merit."

http://www.caribbeancricket.com/

West Indies Cricket Board president Dave Cameron

"The team we have selected has a very good mix of experience, youth and a lot of talent. One would remember that the team four years ago didn't do very well in the World Cup and we are ranked number eight today, so the selectors have decided they want to put some youth and build for the future and I think it is a very good balance,"
http://www.caribbeancricket.com/

Who needs Big Brother when reality news seems way more intriguing..

Great work but is this another false dawn? Lets put this in perspective -it was a dead pitch with bowlers padding him..dead crowd-so while this knock may get some kinks out' date=' it may be a while before England thrusts him into battle.[/quote']

the positives from this show that he still has it, the length of time spent batting against bowlers who have something to was so good to see.

If the same problems occurs in a test series then so be it but this is as good an innings you he could of hoped for in the circumstances.

Nice to see he is recovering from his problem.

Could this be the end of the Windies?

I hope not, but could a poor showing in the world cup lead to further disinterest from supporters and youngsters giving up the game?

the positives from this show that he still has it' date=' the length of time spent batting against bowlers who have something to was so good to see.

If the same problems occurs in a test series then so be it but this is as good an innings you he could of hoped for in the circumstances.

Nice to see he is recovering from his problem.[/quote']

does it? flogging poor bowling on a dead track with an atmosphere rivaling that of a funeral..

Could this be the end of the Windies?

I hope not' date=' but could a poor showing in the world cup lead to further disinterest from supporters and youngsters giving up the game?[/quote']

Nah we will just be Bangladesh :D and concentrate on T20 and playing associates..

does it? flogging poor bowling on a dead track with an atmosphere rivaling that of a funeral..

I realise this doesn't mean he is certainly ready to face Autralia in a test match tomorrow but I am really pleased that he is well on the road to recovery.

this is still a game between two A teams , players who are trying to get into their national sides so they aren't taking it as a pre season warm up and the bowling would at least be as good as a good county championship bowling attack and 211 not out from over 400 balls faced in nearly 11 hours is impressive given his problems over the last 12 months.

I realise this doesn't mean he is certainly ready to face Autralia in a test match tomorrow but I am really pleased that he is well on the road to recovery.

this is still a game between two A teams ' date=' players who are trying to get into their national sides so they aren't taking it as a pre season warm up and the bowling would at least be as good as a good county championship bowling attack and 211 not out from over 400 balls faced in nearly 11 hours is impressive given his problems over the last 12 months.[/quote']

The problem is that it's not easy to take Trott's performance as being a milestone on the road to recovery-it might just as well be his swansong-given his recent history.

I begin to worry that I am too harsh on him-but I believe there are few cricketers who have let down their side as badly as he did-maybe it's cowardice or mental disorder, either way I won't want to go into battle with him on my side against the toughest considering his relapses. Thats why Test cricket is there-to sort the thoroughbreds from the nags.

Why? The dude's a serial liar.

BRING BACK KP ENGLAND YOU SENSITIVE BUNCH OF NINNIES!!!!!

Not gonna happen-too much water under that bridge

Fast bowler Brett Lee has announced his retirement from Twenty20 cricket, effective from the end of this year's BBL campaign.

Ah great bowler just a bit injury prone

vh-qXbJG3wc

South Africa 195 for 3 (van Wyk 114*, Pollard 1-13) beat West Indies 126 (Simmons 49, Cottrell 5-23) by 69 runs

As expected since the B team was rolled out for this one...

I begin to worry that I am too harsh on him-but I believe there are few cricketers who have let down their side as badly as he did-maybe it's cowardice or mental disorder' date=' either way I won't want to go into battle with him on my side against the toughest considering his relapses. Thats why Test cricket is there-to sort the thoroughbreds from the nags.

[/quote']

Spot on there, aram. You can chuck Swann in as well and one or two others i'd seriously question. Pietersen's been held solely accountable for a disastrous tour when there were far bigger problems like why some individuals decided to give up and bugger off. That tour of Oz is, in my eyes, one of the biggest national sporting disgraces this country has ever seen and we're pinning it on one bloke and the hurt feelings of some precious tarts. Yuck. I've struggled to watch Cricket since that tour ended.

My WC prediction :

Chance of winning the Cup by order :

1) Aus

2) SA

3) NZ

4) Pak

5) Eng

6) Ind

7) SL

Can't argue with the top 3-but would put Sri Lanka Odds a bit higher with a combination of a couple high profile players swan song' date=' With Pakistan and India to some extent depends on which team shows up..

Spot on there, aram. You can chuck Swann in as well and one or two others i'd seriously question. Pietersen's been held solely accountable for a disastrous tour when there were far bigger problems like why some individuals decided to give up and bugger off. That tour of Oz is, in my eyes, one of the biggest national sporting disgraces this country has ever seen and we're pinning it on one bloke and the hurt feelings of some precious tarts. Yuck. I've struggled to watch Cricket since that tour ended.

True- Swann yammered on about unable to take wickets etc-one of the most ridiculous excuses tbh. That was a bit odd on Pietersen taking the fall-but I guess it was really needed to get the team moving in the selectors mind. Bit odd to cite his alleged "attitude" problem when he played all 5 tests.

But maybe they can pull things together in the shorter format of the game -where belligerency and innovation is greatly rewarded.

On a note about the BIg Bash-I had a look at the audience and I am impressed with the youngsters they have been able to draw in. It is definitely something that other nations should try to copy.

Can't argue with the top 3-but would put Sri Lanka Odds a bit higher with a combination of a couple high profile players swan song' date=' With Pakistan and India to some extent depends on which team shows up..

True- Swann yammered on about unable to take wickets etc-one of the most ridiculous excuses tbh. That was a bit odd on Pietersen taking the fall-but I guess it was really needed to get the team moving in the selectors mind. Bit odd to cite his alleged "attitude" problem when he played all 5 tests.

But maybe they can pull things together in the shorter format of the game -where belligerency and innovation is greatly rewarded.

On a note about the BIg Bash-I had a look at the audience and I am impressed with the youngsters they have been able to draw in. It is definitely something that other nations should try to copy.[/quote']

Sanga can stitch the innings together but his strike rate wont be high. Mahela is a highly skillful bat with full array of strokes but is a shadow of himself outside subcontinent. Sri Lanka alongwith India are toothless in Australian conditions IMO.

Pakistan and India doesnt have much similarities. Pakistan historically has depended on their bowlers and in this world cup its the fast bowlers who will dominate the proceedings for me. So I expect them to spring up a surprise. They are the dark horse for me and the only subcontinental team to cause some damage to the top 3.

Probably put England behind scotland in 8th after seeing the absolute disgrace they are serving up right now :eek:

I guess thats not far from the truth. I really like England's old fashioned style of Cricket in tests. They are a classy side in that format. But they are a country who never paid any attention to limited overs cricket and I expect them to fire blanks this time as well.

Probably put England behind scotland in 8th after seeing the absolute disgrace they are serving up right now :eek:

lol..nah you are just protecting yourself from hurt if they turn over Australia

Sanga can stitch the innings together but his strike rate wont be high. Mahela is a highly skillful bat with full array of strokes but is a shadow of himself outside subcontinent. Sri Lanka alongwith India are toothless in Australian conditions IMO.

Pakistan and India doesnt have much similarities. Pakistan historically has depended on their bowlers and in this world cup its the fast bowlers who will dominate the proceedings for me. So I expect them to spring up a surprise. They are the dark horse for me and the only subcontinental team to cause some damage to the top 3.

I guess thats not far from the truth. I really like England's old fashioned style of Cricket in tests. They are a classy side in that format. But they are a country who never paid any attention to limited overs cricket and I expect them to fire blanks this time as well.

Not sure the toothless bit is precise but accept your point.

I was referring to their reliability/consistency rather than playing to their historical strengths. I would be rather surprised if the Asian sides tumble to ignominy though..

I am not sure they (England) have the manpower -although they do seem to have the support systems in place to get the job done. ..and really to say they never paid attention to ODI's is a bit odd..

Re: The Official Cricket Thread

Kevin Pietersen is the leading run-scorer in Australia's Twenty20 Big Bash competition after hitting an unbeaten 67 off 42 balls for Melbourne Stars...
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/30862926

If only...hey look ....

England batsman Gary Ballance has suffered a fractured finger in Australia but is expected to be fit for the World Cup.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/carlton-mid-triangular-series-2015/content/story/821667.html

coincidence?

South Africa 279 for 8 (de Villiers 81, Taylor, 2-50) beat West Indies 164 (Gayle 41, Tahir 3-30) by 61 runs D/L method

Hashim Amla became the fastest batsman to reach 5000 ODI runs a run-a-ball 66 in his 101st innings and set South Africa up to take the series lead. B)

Poor Capt. Jason Holder opened the bowling, brought himself back on at crucial times, targeted the South African lower-order and ran an impressive 9.8 kilometres in the field...while Gayle, Samuels just threw their wicket away.

IMO this stems from the current debacle regarding Bravo/Pollard which has seen morale hit another rung lower. Expect cameos but not much teamwork.

Some good cricket played so far-Australia scored another victory over India after beating England in their first match

South Africa 439 for 2 (Amla 153*, de Villiers 149, Rossouw 128) v

50 overs South Africa 439 for 2 (Amla 153*, de Villiers 149, Rossouw 128) v West Indies 178/4

AB de Villiers ripped up the record books with the fastest century in ODIs, off just 31 balls :eek:, as South Africa smashed their own record at the Wanderers and racked up 439, four shy of the world record total of 443.

:o Boycott's grandmom could have bowled better as full tosses, short balls and declaration bowling as the SA batsmen filled their boots on a belter of a pitch..

"Speak english"-David Warner

result: been fined 50% of his match fee

and for all the Trott supporters - England players can now make a housecall to Dr Freeman, a virtual bearded doctor who lolls in a deckchair under a palm tree on a tiny island, stars in the Stress Free App launched by the Professional Cricketers' Association

sounds a bit like me :o and could be worse it could have been

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKa-mSICT1UUCTJk03e3-YAFaajKOuwkcMqXPotO6ILnJbyM-9

There is a reason test cricket is the crucible of character, the bastion of the brave and a test of physical and mental endurance. It transcends the boundary of sport where many are tested but few are chosen.

"Cricket"is first and foremost a dramatic spectacle. It belongs with the theatre, ballet, opera and the dance" -Beyond a Boundary": the Aesthetics of Resistance

Have the game which created and moulded heroes become irrelevant in an age of pandering to mediocrity?

within a few hours England go from having less chance of winning the world cup than Scotland to being 2nd favourites.

England 1 for 156 (Bell 88*, Taylor 56*) beat India 153 (Binny 44, Finn 5-33, Anderson 4-18) by 9 wickets

yup-don't you love this game :D now I would wonder what was the going odds on that particular game..

within a few hours England go from having less chance of winning the world cup than Scotland to being 2nd favourites.

2nd favourites for beating the 6th best team (see my prediction B))? Meh!

Knew Indian bowlers are toothless. Nice to see the batsmen are also living up to their reputation in faster pitches like Gabba. :)

2nd favourites for beating the 6th best team (see my prediction B))? Meh!

Knew Indian bowlers are toothless. Nice to see the batsmen are also living up to their reputation in faster pitches like Gabba. :)

:D seems you may be right -however I choose to believe that they like WI are just playing possum to lull the opposition into a false sense of security and then

il_340x270.662511169_ccnx.jpg

(seems supporting arsenal does things to you...:o)