Sign in to follow this  
Kroitzz

The Official Cricket Thread

Re: Official Cricket Thread

I think in general cricket isnt as good as it use to be. I remember the days when zimbawe had a decent side in the 90's until about 2002/03 with the fowler brothers olonga etc they would easily beat the current england or west indies and match any current country. No offence to the aussies but wen SA beat them earlier the local newspapers were saying its 1 of the best SA teams ever which just isnt true as we beat probaly 1 of the worst aussie teams in 15-20years

I think in general cricket isnt as good as it use to be. I remember the days when zimbawe had a decent side in the 90's until about 2002/03 with the fowler brothers olonga etc they would easily beat the current england or west indies and match any current.

they had some racial problem and banned most of their then current players.

ya th side was good beat quite a few sides even beat INDIA in WC when just 4 runs were reqd of 6 balls dirty old days :mad:

I think in general cricket isnt as good as it use to be. I remember the days when zimbawe had a decent side in the 90's until about 2002/03 with the fowler brothers olonga etc they would easily beat the current england or west indies and match any current country. No offence to the aussies but wen SA beat them earlier the local newspapers were saying its 1 of the best SA teams ever which just isnt true as we beat probaly 1 of the worst aussie teams in 15-20years

i am a huge fan of this south african side and believe they would have given the aussie side with warne and co a good challenge. but you are right in saying the quality of TEST cricket has lowered. this could be due to twenty20. any thoughts?

i am a huge fan of this south african side and believe they would have given the aussie side with warne and co a good challenge. but you are right in saying the quality of TEST cricket has lowered. this could be due to twenty20. any thoughts?

i think aussie domination has abated,they are not many quality players left who could turn a test match on their own. they have been stripped of their "invincible" tag .

i think the domestic test cricket is dying its death as they can't generate any revenues, they can't grip people's attention hence the mental tenacity required to bat 6-7 hours by a batsmen is not building among youth's

now so i think you are right in saying "the quality of TEST cricket has lowered due to twenty20"

BTW very impressed by ferguson he will be future of aussies in test cricket

CHAMPIONS TROPHY SCHEDULE

WARM UP MATCHES

Fri Sep 18

09:30 local | 07:30 GMT

13:00 IST

New Zealand v Warriors

LC de Villiers Oval, Pretoria

Fri Sep 18

14:30 local | 12:30 GMT

18:00 IST

South Africa v West Indies

Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

Fri Sep 18

Pakistan v Sri Lanka

Willowmoore Park, Benoni

Sun Sep 20

Sri Lanka v West Indies

LC de Villiers Oval, Pretoria

Sun Sep 20

India v New Zealand

Senwes Park, Potchefstroom

MAIN SCHEDULE

Tue Sep 22

Group B - South Africa v Sri Lanka

SuperSport Park, Centurion

Wed Sep 23

Group A - Pakistan v West Indies

New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Thu Sep 24

Group B - South Africa v New Zealand

Fri Sep 25

Group B - England v Sri Lanka

Sat Sep 26

13:00 IST Group A - Australia v West Indies

Sat Sep 26

18:00 IST Group A - India v Pakistan

Sun Sep 27

13:00 IST Group B - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

Sun Sep 27

18:00 IST Group B - South Africa v England

Mon Sep 28

18:00 IST Group A - Australia v India

Tue Sep 29

18:00 IST Group B - England v New Zealand

Wed Sep 30

13:00 IST Group A - Australia v Pakistan

Wed Sep 30

18:00 IST Group A - India v West Indies

Fri Oct 2

18:00 IST 1st Semi-Final - TBC v TBC (A1 v B2)

Sat Oct 3

18:00 IST 2nd Semi-Final - TBC v TBC (B1 v A2)

Mon Oct 5

18:00 IST Final - TBC v TBC

33-1 so far, England look pretty poor yet again and Anderson looks like he can't even be bothered.

EDIT : Just saw Champions Trophy advert on Sky Sports 1, they've got Strauss saying where champions belong, well why the hell are England playing. :confused:

who do ya guys reckon will win the CT? Really confused. Would have gone for SA but knowing their shocking luck in tournaments.... India have such a poor pace attack with Zaheer out that they need their batsmen to make 300+ everytime and not forgetting the awful fielding. Srilanka should struggle on the bouncy tracks. Who knows the Aussies might win it after all:mad:

who do ya guys reckon will win the CT? Really confused. Would have gone for SA but knowing their shocking luck in tournaments.... India have such a poor pace attack with Zaheer out that they need their batsmen to make 300+ everytime and not forgetting the awful fielding. Srilanka should struggle on the bouncy tracks. Who knows the Aussies might win it after all:mad:

aussie could very well win it but won't count out anyone except england :P

and WI if they send depleted team

Yeah i think its got something to with the 2020 cricket. I dont know how the attendances are in england but in SA the stadiums always halfempty in the domestic games except when theres twenty20 cricket.

Like reddevil said who knows whos gonna the champ trophy. They all got a even chance but i still hope SA somehow will win the throphy. Believe it or not but we won the ICC Trophy back in 1998

Yeah i think its got something to with the 2020 cricket. I dont know how the attendances are in england but in SA the stadiums always halfempty in the domestic games except when theres twenty20 cricket.

Like reddevil said who knows whos gonna the champ trophy. They all got a even chance but i still hope SA somehow will win the throphy. Believe it or not but we won the ICC Trophy back in 1998

lol the chokers tag came after that :P

i think aussie domination has abated' date='they are not many quality players left who could turn a test match on their own. they have been stripped of their "invincible" tag .

i think the domestic test cricket is dying its death as they can't generate any revenues, they can't grip people's attention hence the mental tenacity required to bat 6-7 hours by a batsmen is not building among youth's

now so i think you are right in saying "the quality of TEST cricket has lowered due to twenty20"

BTW very impressed by ferguson he will be future of aussies in test cricket[/quote']

also thinking about it the 50 over game has changed dramitcally and as a result you don't see as many 300+ scores because there isnt discipline.

fergeson will more than likely replace hussey if hussey doesnt discover form

SA's chocker tag is a bit unfair tbf. Desperately unlucky at the 2003 world cup but seeing as they hosted it they couldn't blame the scoreboard incharge. And they were even more unlucky at the inaugural 20-20 world cup. Won their group games and the first 2 super six games quite easily. Then they lose one game to India and are knocked out. Australia on the other hand lost 3 games in the tournament and still made the semis. Just bad luck me thinks

SA's chocker tag is a bit unfair tbf. Desperately unlucky at the 2003 world cup but seeing as they hosted it they couldn't blame the scoreboard incharge. And they were even more unlucky at the inaugural 20-20 world cup. Won their group games and the first 2 super six games quite easily. Then they lose one game to India and are knocked out. Australia on the other hand lost 3 games in the tournament and still made the semis. Just bad luck me thinks

Yeah it started in 1992 when we lost against england we needed 22 runs frm 10 balls. It started to rain and they decided 21 frm 1 ball(before D/L System)

1996 we lost against West indies. Strange teamselection we selected 2spinners and drop donald!

1999 when klusener and donald was batting against Austrailia in semi. Klusener ran but donald didnt when he eventually ran it was to late.

2003 D/L mix-up 2007 things looked good but then we crumbled against Australia i think we were 25/5 so the game was lost.

Curse the cricket gods!!!

Yeah it started in 1992 when we lost against england we needed 22 runs frm 10 balls. It started to rain and they decided 21 frm 1 ball(before D/L System)

1996 we lost against West indies. Strange teamselection we selected 2spinners and drop donald!

1999 when klusener and donald was batting against Austrailia in semi. Klusener ran but donald didnt when he eventually ran it was to late.

2003 D/L mix-up 2007 things looked good but then we crumbled against Australia i think we were 25/5 so the game was lost.

Curse the cricket gods!!!

this was when they were given chokers tag as they were heading to a comfortable win.

crumbled=chokers lol :P

What would you rather have though a 7-0 ODI series win or the Ashes? ;)

ive said this repeatedly the ashes is so much more.

winning 7-0 is lyk gettin a tic tac and the ashes is lyk all your easter chocolate.

its going to be interesting if england do the 2005 route now. just fail at everything after the ashes and how well we recover. our ODI side is quite different to the test side and its a different ball game so this doesnt prove anything

ive said this repeatedly the ashes is so much more.

winning 7-0 is lyk gettin a tic tac and the ashes is lyk all your easter chocolate.

its going to be interesting if england do the 2005 route now. just fail at everything after the ashes and how well we recover. our ODI side is quite different to the test side and its a different ball game so this doesnt prove anything

It's typical England though, we only think there's one Cricket competition in thw world everything else doesn't matter. Austrailia now will probably go and win all their test matches against whoever thet face but we will get pummeled by S.A. and struggle to beat Bangledesh.

It's typical England though' date=' we only think there's one Cricket competition in thw world everything else doesn't matter. Austrailia now will probably go and win all their test matches against whoever thet face but we will get pummeled by S.A. and struggle to beat Bangledesh.[/quote']

nah the differnce last time was that it was a glitch in a champion side. we are not great this time. although 1st up we play WI and pakistan @ home so we might draw confidence.

england are weird like that lol

So far so good 112-1 plenty of time to get these last few runs' date=' but as always its too late now and means jack all. :rolleyes:[/quote']

hehehe yep

i can't wait till the aussie summer :) get to lie on the couch for 8 weeks watchin cricket :D

love the tests :D :D :D

Was disappointed by SA game. Dilshan batted very well for his hunderd and mendis. West indies 29/3 against pakistan so far. I see WI hav a 37year old(reifer) playing for them. Dont know most of their players.

Leedsfan93 do u know why Bracken doesnt play test cricket retired or do Australia not think hes good enough at tests?

Was disappointed by SA game. Dilshan batted very well for his hunderd and mendis. West indies 29/3 against pakistan so far. I see WI hav a 37year old(reifer) playing for them. Dont know most of their players.

Leedsfan93 do u know why Bracken doesnt play test cricket retired or do Australia not think hes good enough at tests?

he hasn't retired but other bowlers are keeping him away infact he hasn't played test cricket since 05.

he has drawn comparisons to MICHAEL BEVEN for this reason

RESULTS

ICC Champions Trophy - 1st match, Group B

South Africa v Sri Lanka

Played at SuperSport Park, Centurion

22 September 2009

Sri Lanka won by 55 runs (D/L method)

score

SL-319/8

dilshan 106 --------------steyn 47/3

jayawardene 77 ----------parnell 79/3

sangakkara 54----------- duminy 11/1

SA-206/7 (37.4 overs)

smith 58---------------- mendis 30/3

kallis 41-----------------malinga 43/2

A.morkel 29-------------mathews 43/2

this is brought up nearly every summer. he isn't popular with the selectors and if i recall correctly he had an outburst about it last summer. now due to his age and other seamers coming up through the ranks (eg. hilfenhaus, bollinger, geeves) he won't play test cricket again i think