The Official Cricket Thread

Re: Official Cricket Thread

How was North retained for the second test?:confused::confused::confused:

North is good enough. He scored 100 in the lead up match, his bowling is good and they obviously want him in the Ashes. If they drop him now, he won't play in the Ashes. I think it will be more likely to see Hauritz dropped and Smith coming in, altghough I haven't seen the line up.

Callum Ferguson will be North's replacement, if indeed they replace North. Andrew Hilditch has recently said Ferguson will be part of the team soon. Ferguson is going to India for the ODIs and if he performs well in those and does alright in the Sheffield Sheild, he could be a dark horse to start for the Ashes.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Official Cricket Thread Well to be fair they did send their secretary to mediate and I guess that hurts a bit more. The BCCI cares about what draws the crowds and I guess T20/ODI's provide that.

Re: Official Cricket Thread Well South Africa does look a bit undercooked and seem rooted to the spot while England does play with Gile, and tred well while trotting along on a broad bowling perform

Re: Official Cricket Thread just for fun:D NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS OF INDIAN CRICKET TEAM: VIRENDER SEHWAG: I will stop making fun of BANGLADESH. GAUTAM GAMBHIR: I will stop dreaming about CAPTAINCY.

North is good enough. He scored 100 in the lead up match' date=' his bowling is good and they obviously want him in the Ashes. If they drop him now, he won't play in the Ashes. I think it will be more likely to see Hauritz dropped and Smith coming in, altghough I haven't seen the line up.

Callum Ferguson will be North's replacement, if indeed they replace North. Andrew Hilditch has recently said Ferguson will be part of the team soon. Ferguson is going to India for the ODIs and if he performs well in those and does alright in the Sheffield Sheild, he could be a dark horse to start for the Ashes.[/quote']

I wouldn't count a 100 in a practice match as to big an affair. North has been pretty average for some time now and really think Ferguson is a better option. Clarke can take over the role of North's bowling (I must say I think Clarke is very underused as a bowler)

I wouldn't count a 100 in a practice match as to big an affair. North has been pretty average for some time now and really think Ferguson is a better option. Clarke can take over the role of North's bowling (I must say I think Clarke is very underused as a bowler)

North got a century against New Zealand and we all know played outstanding cricket last Ashes.

Clarke has a bad back so that is why he doesn't bowl often. Katich has a similar problem, otherwise he would be bowling a lot more.

Even if Clarke did bowl, his style clashes with Smith and therefore Hauritz would stay in the team.

I really like Ferguson's batting though, he seems like a smart cricketer. Would be surprised to see him replace Hussey eventually. Hussey might be having his last series this summer because he isn't getting any younger. You never know though.

• 3 weeks later...

Australian players to look out for over the next few years:

Usman Khawaja - Born in Pakistan but has been in the Australian setup for a long time, playing for Australia at youth levels. He is now 23 and is in the Australia A side. Had a big season for NSW and is tipped as a future number 3 for Australia.

Mitchell Marsh - Son of Geoff Marsh. Mitch was the captain of the U19 Austrlian side that won the U19 World Cup. Mitch made his debut for WA when he was 17. A young middle order batsmen who will surely have a chance once the likes of Ponting and Hussey retire.

Josh Hazlewood - Youngest fast bowler to make his first class debut. Hazlewood has been likened to Glenn McGrath. At 19 years of age, Hazlewood has already represented Australia in the shorter forms of the game.

Mitchell Starc- A left arm fast bowler who has already been sniffing around the Test squad. The thing against him at the moment is that Bollinger and Johnson are left armers but he is a big chance to do something big in the upcoming years. He is 20 at the moment.

Peter George - Another young bowler who has burst onto the scene. At 24 he has played one test for Australia. He has also been likened to Glenn McGrath and has taken an 8 for South Australia.

James Pattison - A 20 year old fast bowler who has been in the frame for the Test team. His older brother Darren played for England for a short period of time. James was part of the U19 team that won the U19 World Cup.

The pace bowling and batting stocks seem to be strong when names like Hughes, Ferguson, White etc are added. The spinners are still the worry with just Steve Smith looking like a real talent. Krejza has been playing inconsistently for Tasmania but was brilliant in his last match apparently.

You couldn't make this up if you tried:D

Australia have now lost 9 in a row:eek::eek::D:D And today they apparently snatched a defeat from the jaws of victory

It an effing joke! Doherty the man who ghot a brilliant fun out plus four wickets got dropped from the side.

The selectors are pathetic. Our middle order batting and spinning stocks are poor. I am more than ever urging Steve Smith to picked for the tests because he can be a wicket taker.

North got 19 against England today. Drop him. I like him but not reliable enough. Bring in Callum Ferguson. See how Hussey goes, maybe drop him and bring in Khawaja. Ponting has been pathetic for a while but they wont drop him. This will be his last summer surely. Either by choice or force.

The match the other nights was shameful. We thought we were home but we weren't. Credit to Sri Lanka. Their attitude was much better and they deserved the win. The bowlers almost let the batsmen off the hook for us. Hastings is **** and although he played well, he isn't international standard. Our fast bowler stocks are quite good and we don't need him.

Is there a mistake on Cricinfo or does Australia need 244 runs to win from 39 overs' date=' despite Sri Lanka getting 213 in 41.1 overs?[/quote']

Don't see too much wrong in this particular calculation (although when the game gets less than 20 0vers the D/L becomes a farce). Sri Lanka were 213-3 with all the big hitters to come. Essentially they weren't permitted there slogging overs. They could quite easily have got close to 300 with some of their big hitters, had they been allowed to go on. Now Australia have their whole 10 wickets to make just over 6 an over and have to do it in 39 overs. they may well have been chasing 6 an over accross 50 overs, which I don't think they'd have made. This has given your lads a chance. My take on the match ;)

I feel for Doherty. The selectors are awful and are two scared to make correct decisions! I would be a much better selector because I know something about cricket...

I have to agree. You don't drop a player when he's just got a '4 for' in any form of the game. It almost looked like the selectors got caught up in the media hype around the losing streak and just brought back the big names to chase that win. Hauritz clearly isn't a one-day bowler anyway and it was harsh for Doherty to be taken out the side to accommodate him. Hope he gets another chance in the last game, because if I were an Aussie, I wouldn't feel to happy with having Hauritz as the main spin option for the upcoming world cup.

I have always felt that Australia were always going to get weaker over the years and thats exactly whats happened. As soon as they lose Ponting they really do need to start from scratch and build from the bottom again. The current crop of players are no where near the standard of the team which purely dominated the world over the last decade.

As for Hauritz, i've never really rated him to be honest. However, I don't think it really helps him that he is the replacement spinner if you want to call him that for Warne, and he is no where near that standard. He isn't going to get you 5 wickets in a innings and turn a game on its head.

This is probably one of Australia's weakest teams for awhile and England really do need to make the most of it while it lasts.

I have to agree. You don't drop a player when he's just got a '4 for' in any form of the game. It almost looked like the selectors got caught up in the media hype around the losing streak and just brought back the big names to chase that win. Hauritz clearly isn't a one-day bowler anyway and it was harsh for Doherty to be taken out the side to accommodate him. Hope he gets another chance in the last game' date=' because if I were an Aussie, I wouldn't feel to happy with having Hauritz as the main spin option for the upcoming world cup.[/quote']

Hauritz is poor and I agree with you 100%. Steve Smith is the number one choice now. We think he has enough talent.

I have always felt that Australia were always going to get weaker over the years and thats exactly whats happened. As soon as they lose Ponting they really do need to start from scratch and build from the bottom again. The current crop of players are no where near the standard of the team which purely dominated the world over the last decade.

As for Hauritz' date=' i've never really rated him to be honest. However, I don't think it really helps him that he is the replacement spinner if you want to call him that for Warne, and he is no where near that standard. He isn't going to get you 5 wickets in a innings and turn a game on its head.

This is probably one of Australia's weakest teams for awhile and England really do need to make the most of it while it lasts.[/quote']

I agree with you on the Hauritz issue. Disagree on the rebuilding one. Ponting has to go NOW. He won't though but after the Ashes I cannot see him staying. Whether this is his choice or not, we will find out. North has to go as he is too inconsistent. Hauritz obviously has too go.

Ferguson is a brilliant batsmen who isn't old but is still experienced. He needs to be there for the first test. Also Smith in for Hauritz. This may leave us short on experience in the spin department. However the Gabba is a very bouncy pitch and Clarke and Katich can bowl spin anyway. This is as good as Hauritz in my opinion and the only way Smith can get expericence.

As I listed previously, there are plenty of talented cricketers making their mark on state cricket. Today, one of them, Mitchell Starc, got a 4 for against Sri Lanka. He's 20 and you will a lot of him soon :D

My Australian Starting XI for the first Test at the Gabba:

Watson

Katich

Clarke

Hussey

Ferguson

Khawaja

Haddin

Smith

Johnson

Hilfenhaus

Bollinger (Starc if Bollinger isn't fit)

Probable team:

Watson

Katich

Ponting

Clarke

Hussey

North

Haddin

Haurtitz

Johnson

Hilfenhaus

Bollinger (Siddle if Bollinger isn't fit)

My Australian Starting XI for the first Test at the Gabba:

Watson

Katich

Clarke

Hussey

Ferguson

Khawaja

Haddin

Smith

Johnson

Hilfenhaus

Bollinger (Starc if Bollinger isn't fit)

Probable team:

Watson

Katich

Ponting

Clarke

Hussey

North

Haddin

Haurtitz

Johnson

Hilfenhaus

Bollinger (Siddle if Bollinger isn't fit)

Whoooooooo?

Whoooooooo?

I wrote about him on the last page. He is a batsmen from NSW who has been doing quite well for a season or two. He is quite young too.

The NSW and Victorian hopefuls for the test team might find it hard to break into the squad as their Sheffield Shield game is on a greentop. As most of the hopefuls are batsmen it is going to be hard for them to impress. White, Hughes and Khawaja all need to impress with the bat. Smith with his spinners and Siddle, Starc and Cameron with their seamers. If Bollinger is fit though, the seam bowling is probably fine and they won't get a look in I think.

I wrote about him on the last page. He is a batsmen from NSW who has been doing quite well for a season or two. He is quite young too.

The NSW and Victorian hopefuls for the test team might find it hard to break into the squad as their Sheffield Shield game is on a greentop. As most of the hopefuls are batsmen it is going to be hard for them to impress. White' date=' Hughes and Khawaja all need to impress with the bat. Smith with his spinners and Siddle, Starc and Cameron with their seamers. If Bollinger is fit though, the seam bowling is probably fine and they won't get a look in I think.[/quote']

Yes, i completely ignored that. Playing a player with no/hardly any international experience isn't a good idea in such an important series. Cameron White usually does well against England, stick him in there.

Yes' date=' i completely ignored that. Playing a player with no/hardly any international experience isn't a good idea in such an important series. Cameron White usually does well against England, stick him in there.[/quote']

Choosing players that have been out of form for two years doesn't help either. I would be happy to see White in that team. There is so much talent in Australian cricket right now but they aren't given a go.

That's the problem, they should have blooded these players before now. Trott is an example of if you have the guts to make a desicion, you can get results.

Peter George ripped through England's top order. He is pushing his claims for this series. He got the wickets of Strauss, Cook and Trott.

Khawaja, and Hughes failed in their first innings. Clarke is on 71 no. Ponting got out for 30 odd runs. Harris got a five for in that innings. Doherty got 1 wicket. Hauritz 0 wickets. Siddle bowled really well planting the ball on Jaques helmet and getting some wickets. Andrew McDonald got a century and already has a wicket at the half way stage of NSW innings. David Hussey also got a century. Starc and Smith got 2 wickets a piece. Mark Cosgrove got a 50 in a poor Tasmanian innings. Cameron White got 1 run.

Interesting performances in the domestic cricket which really have to make selectors act. Johnson is playing some grade cricket to try and fix up a few things with his bowling while Bollinger and Katich will play grade cricket to prove their fitness.

Ponting got out for 5 in his 2nd innings.

Here is something interesting I found: http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/magazine/ashes_alltime.html

You choose your all time Ashes XI from the list they have.

This was my list: Graham Gooch, Arthur Morris, Don Bradman, Allan Border, Ricky Ponting, Ian Botham, Don Tallon, Bob Willis, Shane Warne, Fred Spofforth, Glenn McGrath.

Obviously I didn't see the likes of Bradman, Morris, Tallon and Spofforth but I went off their huge reputation and bits of footage I have seen. I also didn't see Gooch, Border, Bothan and Willis but I have seen a fair bit of footage on them and know of their feats.

Debate your Ashes XI :)

Ponting, Clarke, Bollinger, Doherty, Ferguson, Haddin, Harris, Hauritz, Hussey, Hilfenhaus, Johnson, Katich, Khawaja, North, Siddle, Smith, Watson.

That is the Ashes squad. Pretty strong side. Smith, Harris and Ferguson are real chances. Harris especially after his match figures of a 9 for and being a local at the Gabba.

If anything happens to an opener Hughes will come in. McDonald must be shattered after scoring centuries in both innings against a strong NSW side.