Well, take a wild guess which team I'll be following in this tournament, which starts mid september. Here's Brazil's squad list, announced today. Expected starters in Bold.

GK -

Rafael - Cruzeiro

Renan Ribeiro - Atletico MG

Saulo - Sport

CB -

Dalton - Fluminense

Fabricio - Flamengo

Rafael Toloi - Goias

Victor Ramos - Standard Liege

WB -

Diogo - Sao Paulo

Douglas - Goias

Wellington Junior - Botafogo

Midfielders -

Alex Teixeira - Vasco

Boquita - Corinthians

Giuliano - Internacional

Maylson - Grêmio

Paulo Henrique - Santos

Renan - Atletico PR

Sandro - Internacional

Souza - Vasco

Strikers -

Alan Kardec - Vasco/Internacional

Ciro - Sport

Maicon - Fluminense

Brazilian media note Paulo Henrique, Sandro and Boquita as the main men.

Notable omissions: Renan Oliveira, Douglas Costa, Raul, Dentinho, Lulinha, Welinton, Mario Fernandes...

Both sides of the GRENAL are mad. Internacional have already made a formal request to have Sandro released, because he is a full international now. Gremio, on the other side, are outraged at the omissions of Mario Fernandes and Douglas Costa. Mario has already come out and said that he should be on the team. Drama queen.

Goias have been terrible without Toloi in the lineup. Does this mean that they will drop from 2nd?

Fluminense are delighted with the prospect of having Dalton get some international experience. They are planning on playing him a few times before the tournament (he's starting this upcoming match against Nautico) and hope that he develops well.

Santos arn't thrilled. Paulo Henrique is delighted with his call up, but Vanderlei Luxemburgo will lose some sleep thinking over how to deal with 6 games without him.

These call ups could be good news for a few other players. With Fabricio on, Welinton may get a few more starts. Giuliano's spot is up for grabs and Marquinhos might just profit. Toloi's absence is good for Valmir Lucas. And of course, Neymar will profit from the absence of Ganso.

As far as the players themselves, most are happy. The only one who isn't seems to be Giuliano, who realises that he's on a tear with Inter and might just lose his spot to Andres d'Alessandro.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: U20 World Cup I can't. I've been comparing him to Lulinha since March. Why is there so much hype? He's linked to Man U. Automatically, he MUST be good. I can think of 50 players I'd rather hav

Re: U20 World Cup

I guess Brazil didn't include players like Pato, Rafael, Fabio, and Possebon because they are already in world class teams (future supserstars).

Australia's preliminary squad was announced recently, and surprising omissions from that squad were:

Chris Herd (Aston Villa - reserves, 1989)

Shane Lowry (Aston Villa - reserves, 1989, has played youth internationals for Ireland)

Robert Stambolziev (Panathinikos - reserves?, 1990)

Bradden Inman (Newcastle United, 1991, has played a few for Scotland youth)

and a few others I'd say (Christian Esposito, who went to Italy in his mid teens, 1990.... Theo Markelis, possibly 17 this year and in Valencia, a player in Real Mallorca).

Also Oliver Bozanic got injured recently and could miss out on the final squad.

I guess Brazil didn't include players like Pato' date=' Rafael, Fabio, and Possebon because they are already in world class teams (future supserstars).

[/quote']

No. Brazil didn't include Pato cause he's a full international. The others were snubbed because they didn't play in any of the pre-tournaments because they were in Europe. The only player in the squad who hasn't been called up before is Paulo Henrique; and no offense to the three, but PH is better, in better form and more experienced at this point then them.

Guest Mr. Razzcocks

Poland didn't qualify, but that's not surprising when you think of the lack of funding football gets in the country. Plus, most of the footballers that actually do have a bit of talent switch to Germany (Klose, Podolski, Trochowski, Polanski). At the moment, Martin Kobylański, one of Poland's brightest prospects, is actually being persuaded to stay with Poland and forget about Germany. :o

I wonder how Tahiti do. :)

Let me contribute then with some information about the Hungarian squad...

Goalkeepers:

Péter Gulácsi (Liverpool FC)

Ádám Kovácsik (Reggina Calcio)

Balázs Megyeri (Ferencváros)

Roland Kunsági (Budapest Honvéd)

Defenders:

András Debreceni (Budapest Honvéd)

Zsolt Korcsmár (Újpest)

Ádám Présinger (Videoton)

János Szabó (Paks)

Adrián Szekeres (MTK Budapest)

Péter Varga (Manchester City)

Bence Zámbó (Győri ETO)

Tamás Kádár (Newcastle United)

Midfielders:

Zoltán Búrány (DVTK)

Ádám Dudás (Győri ETO)

Norbert Heffer (Pápa)

Vladimir Koman (AS Bari)

Ádám Simon (Haladás)

Péter Takács (DVTK)

Bence Tóth (Ferencváros)

Roland Varga (Brescia Calcio)

Forwards:

Ádám Balajti (DVTK)

Márkó Futács (Werder Bremen)

András Gosztonyi (MTK Budapest)

Krisztián Németh (AEK Athens)

High hopes from my side on this promising Hungarian team which seems to line up the hottest prospects the country has produced in a long time, and has already proven its class coming 3rd at the U19 European Championships last year. Most of these players have seen plenty of first team action since, albeit in the lately not so famed Hungarian league. The star of the squad - need to mention? - is still Krisztián Németh, who has finally received his chance for an international breakthrough being loaned out to AEK Athens from Liverpool this season. Still a question mark is Liverpool reserves' other youngster András Simon whose loan side Cordoba was reluctant to release the player for the tournament. Another painful miss will be Olivér Nagy, who has been the team's motor last year, scoring important goals in qualfication and tournament stage. The midfielder currently playing in the 2nd Hungarian league with PMFC has suffered a thigh injury in last week's championship game and is out for at least three weeks.

Uncertainties regarding the team's coaching have been cleared out about a month ago, when veteran Hungarian manager Sándor Egervári was appointed replacing unlucky Dutchman Wilco van Buuren, who succeeded Tibor Sisa at the end of last year, but spent only 6 months in office in a much disputed preparation phase in which the team was struggling to find its place.

Egervári is optimistic about the youth players' physical strength and motivation, and two more training camps in September should give him enough opportunity to craft winning tactics for his team for the tournament in which Hungary will have to prevail against the youngsters of Honduras, South Africa and the United Arab Emirates in order to advance from their group.

Some can play multiple roles. It's a shame they didn't pick more overseas players.

Young Socceroos Squad:

GK's

Dean Bouzanis (gk) Liverpool FC, England

Andrew Redmayne (gk) Central Coast Mariners, Australia

Alex Cisak (gk) Leicester City, England

RB's:

Daniel Mullen Adelaide United, Australia

Rhyan Grant Sydney FC, Australia

CB's:

Luke DeVere Brisbane Roar, Australia

Ryan McGowan Hearts FC, Scotland

LB's:

Matthew Jurman Sydney FC, Australia

Sam Gallagher Manly United, Australia (Only in a State League team until recently)

DM's/CM's:

James Holland AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands

Chris Herd Aston Villa, England

Ben Kantarovski Newcastle Jets, Australia

Sam Munro Sydney FC, Australia

AM's:

Aaron Mooy Bolton Wanderers, England

Mitch Nichols Brisbane Roar, Australia

LW/RW:

Kofi Danning Sydney FC, Australia

Tahj Minniecon Gold Coast United, Australia

Jason Hoffman Newcastle Jets, Australia

Thomas Oar Brisbane Roar, Australia

ST's:

Sean Rooney Newcastle Jets, Australia

Nathan Elasi Melbourne Victory, Australia

Noteable omissions:

Overseas:

Robert Stambolziev

Shane Lowry

Paul Giannou

Oliver Bozanic (injured recently)

Peter Cvetanovski (injured?)

Rocco Visconte

Christian Esposito (Serie B team)

Bradden Inman (Newcastle United)

Theo Markelis (Valencia)

Kearyn Baccus (Real Mallorca)

etc

Australia:

Chris Payne

Let me contribute then with some information about the Hungarian squad...

Goalkeepers:

Péter Gulácsi (Liverpool FC)

Ádám Kovácsik (Reggina Calcio)

Balázs Megyeri (Ferencváros)

Roland Kunsági (Budapest Honvéd)

Defenders:

András Debreceni (Budapest Honvéd)

Zsolt Korcsmár (Újpest)

Ádám Présinger (Videoton)

János Szabó (Paks)

Adrián Szekeres (MTK Budapest)

Péter Varga (Manchester City)

Bence Zámbó (Győri ETO)

Tamás Kádár (Newcastle United)

Midfielders:

Zoltán Búrány (DVTK)

Ádám Dudás (Győri ETO)

Norbert Heffer (Pápa)

Vladimir Koman (AS Bari)

Ádám Simon (Haladás)

Péter Takács (DVTK)

Bence Tóth (Ferencváros)

Roland Varga (Brescia Calcio)

Forwards:

Ádám Balajti (DVTK)

Márkó Futács (Werder Bremen)

András Gosztonyi (MTK Budapest)

Krisztián Németh (AEK Athens)

High hopes from my side on this promising Hungarian team which seems to line up the hottest prospects the country has produced in a long time' date=' and has already proven its class coming 3rd at the U19 European Championships last year. Most of these players have seen plenty of first team action since, albeit in the lately not so famed Hungarian league. The star of the squad - need to mention? - is still Krisztián Németh, who has finally received his chance for an international breakthrough being loaned out to AEK Athens from Liverpool this season. Still a question mark is Liverpool reserves' other youngster András Simon whose loan side Cordoba was reluctant to release the player for the tournament. Another painful miss will be Olivér Nagy, who has been the team's motor last year, scoring important goals in qualfication and tournament stage. The midfielder currently playing in the 2nd Hungarian league with PMFC has suffered a thigh injury in last week's championship game and is out for at least three weeks.

Uncertainties regarding the team's coaching have been cleared out about a month ago, when veteran Hungarian manager Sándor Egervári was appointed replacing unlucky Dutchman Wilco van Buuren, who succeeded Tibor Sisa at the end of last year, but spent only 6 months in office in a much disputed preparation phase in which the team was struggling to find its place.

Egervári is optimistic about the youth players' physical strength and motivation, and two more training camps in September should give him enough opportunity to craft winning tactics for his team for the tournament in which Hungary will have to prevail against the youngsters of Honduras, South Africa and the United Arab Emirates in order to advance from their group.[/quote']

where i can see the teams anyone got the links?

• 3 weeks later...

Germany's squad:

Goalkeepers:

Tom Mickel (12)

Sebastian Mielitz (21)

Ron-Robert Zieler (1)

Defenders

Patrick Funk (17)

Sebastian Jung (2)

Florian Jungwirth (4)

Cihan Kaptan (16)

Björn Kopplin (13)

Maik Rodenberg (20)

Kai-Fabian Schulz (19)

David Vrzogic (3)

Midfieders:

Semih Aydilek (15)

Lars Bender (5)

Lewis Holtby (10)

Timo Perthel (7)

Mario Vrancic (8)

Strikers:

Tobias Kempe (18)

Manuel Schäffler (11)

Dani Schahin (14)

Richard Sukuta-Pasu (9)

Obviously the biggest names in the list are Bender, Holtby and Sukuta-Pasu, but also a lot of good players were not 'released' by their clubs for the WC, which I find very disapointing tbh, as I can't see us getting very far with a second-string team. I read somewhere that 28 players were staying with their clubs.

I imagine that it's the same in other countries, or is this tournament more significant in other countries and all top-players are going to Egypt instead of staying at their clubs where they might be needed.

England Squad for Egypt:

Sam Baldock - MK Dons (Forward)

Febian Brandy - Manchester United (Forward)

Matthew Briggs - Fulham (Center Back)

Adam Clayton - Manchester City (Right Midfield)

Gary Gardner - Aston Villa (Center Midfield)

Gavin Hoyte - Arsenal (Right Back)

Matthew James - Manchester United (Center Midfield)

Martin Kelly - Liverpool (Center Back)

Paul Marshall - Manchester City (Left Midfield)

Ben Mee - Manchester City (Center Back)

Alex Nimely - Manchester City (Forward)

Jon Obika - Yeovil Town (on loan from Spurs) (Forward)

Nana Ofori - Chelsea (Right Back)

Mark Oxley - Hull City (Goalkeeper)

Elliott Parish - Aston Villa (Goalkeeper)

Jordan Parkes - Watford (Left Back)

Jason Steele - Middlesbrough (Goalkeeper)

Kieran Trippier - Manchester City (Right Back)

Andrew Tutte - Manchester City (Left Midfield)

Josh Walker - Middlesbrough (Center Midfield)

Michael Woods - Chelsea (Winger)

Just added the positions in, add the ratings of those on the DB tomorrow. I know theres some player who aren't travelling becasue of first team commitments, for example Joe Bennett and Danny Welbeck so I'm going to make a list of those who would be going if not for that reason, send me a PM if you know any.

England Squad for Egypt:

Sam Baldock - MK Dons

Febian Brandy - Manchester United

Matthew Briggs - Fulham

Adam Clayton - Manchester City

Gary Gardner - Aston Villa

Gavin Hoyte - Arsenal

Matthew James - Manchester United

Martin Kelly - Liverpool

Paul Marshall - Manchester City

Ben Mee - Manchester City

Alex Nimely - Manchester City

Jon Obika - Yeovil Town (on loan from Spurs)

Nana Ofori - Chelsea

Mark Oxley - Hull City

Elliott Parish -ston Villa

Jordan Parkes - Watford

Jason Steele - Middlesbrough

Kieran Trippier - Manchester City

Andrew Tutte - Manchester City

Josh Walker - Middlesbrough

Michael Woods - Chelsea

Nice to see plenty of City players in there!