Burrow27

English Championship 106 - Discussion Thread

Guest drseanfitz

Re: English Championship 106 - Discussion Thread

Sorry lads & ladies, just getting nothing out of these EC's & GC's at the moment. half the times I'm not even logging in weekly to check my scores etc

Sorry lads & ladies' date=' just getting nothing out of these EC's & GC's at the moment. half the times I'm not even logging in weekly to check my scores etc[/quote']

Sorry to see you go Sean. Maybe we'll see you back again one day.

Preston bring to an end a run of two straight defeats with a 1-0 win over Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. David Luiz scored the only goal (from open play)

Eight games left and a 15 point gap to make up on first place. If I do qualify for the play-offs it will be the third successive season in the play-offs.

Div 3

Rushden 1-3 Nottm Forest

Took the lead early in the 9th minute with a goal from Watson but could only hold out until the 64 minute until Forest found their scoring boots and knocked 3 past us. Would have been on equal points with Rochdale and Swindon at the top if we'd won, now it puts us down into 4th below Plymouth.

Closing the gap with Division 4 current leaders Oxford United after beating them 5-1. El Arabi gabbed a brace with Keisuke Honda, Miguel Torres and Diego Capel got themselves in the scoresheet. Ruben Castro got the consolation goal for the host.

Gaston Ramirez is off to Stoke for £13.5m. No doubt if he goes back Italy he'll find his firm again, but for now, Lallana and Henderson are well above him in the pecking order, and Fer can play at AM too.

Incoming are three Southampton youngsters. Jake Sinclair, Omar Rowe and Harrison Reed, all for a combined fee of £1.2m.

Closing the gap with Division 4 current leaders Oxford United after beating them 5-1. El Arabi gabbed a brace with Keisuke Honda' date=' Miguel Torres and Diego Capel got themselves in the scoresheet. Ruben Castro got the consolation goal for the host.[/quote']

Well done mate - though looking at your squad I'm not surprised you hammered me! Still hope to push you close till the end of the season though

Preston keep up pace with leading pack with victory over 'Boro

Preston maintained their promotion push with a 2-0 victory over ten-man Middlesbrough, with a play-off place almost in the bag.

Captain Steven Gerrard gave Preston the lead early in the first half, his long range strike hitting the back of the net past Victor Valdes in the away teams goal. Middlesbrough faced an uphill task from then on, made all the more worse with the 33rd minute dismissal of Stewart Downing after a knee-high challenge on Stevan Jovetic which left the Montenegrin international reeling on the floor, with Gerrard also booked for his reaction. Middlesbrough's best chance of the game fell to Mario Mandzukic, who out-jumped David Luiz and headed towards goal, but Michel Vorm was equal to it. The half time whistle blew with Preston leading, but not at all comfortable.

Whatever Adriano B said to his charges during the break must have helped, with Preston forced to batten down the hatches and defend their lead. Jefferson Farfan was a constant thorn in Preston's side, the Peruvian international drawing a foul from Steven Gerrard before having a go at goal himself. The strain of all-out attack began to show in the Middlesbrough players, and that fatigue proved decisive as Preston doubled their lead on the break. David Luiz played a long ball up-field to Jovetic, who hit a daisy-cutter of a shot into the right hand corner of Valdes' net. That was Jovetic's 10th goal of the season, the first time he had managed double figures in 4 years. He almost made it 11 after an hour, his shot smothered by Valdes.

Middlesbrough found another gear and went all out attack for the final ten minutes. Mandzukic had a further two attempts at goal, the best forcing a low save from Vorm. Muriel went into the referee's notebook for a late challenge on Mandzukic, however Preston held on to secure their 15th win of the season, and their 6th clean sheet of the season. We spoke to Preston manager James Burrow after the game, where he was asked about his recent change of formation:

"It was a solid performance from the team, we were under the cosh in the second half but once we got the second goal I felt confident we would see the game out. We switched to a four-back formation for the past few games as while the 3-5-2 was providing goals, we were a bit fragile at the back, and I think a three-back tonight would have not worked against the threat of Farfan.

The sending off was absolutely correct, it was a terrible challenge from Downing but I'm sure there was no malice in it. Stewart is a player I like and I'm sure when he sees it back he'll understand why it was a red.

(On the possibility of Muriel signing permanently) It hasn't really crossed my mind this season. Muriel has been fantastic this season, it's been a massive headache choosing between him, Michu and Jovetic. What I think it has done has pushed Jovetic and Michu to up their game, as there is an alternative should they fall short of what's required."

The rest of the top 8 all won, with the gap to first-placed Chelsea still 15 points. With seven games to go, Preston lead 7th placed Wycombe by 7 points, and look on course for their third successive play-off appearance. Middlesbrough drop to 9th, and are without a win in 4 games.

Stoke signed Gaston Ramirez off Preston for £13.5m a couple of days ago. He's not enjoying the best of times at Southampton this season but he has bags of talent and I'm sure he will be a great player in the long run :)

Lost again though. Pretty much resigning myself to relegation to the fourth division, will be straight back next season though :o

Ladies and gents meet your EC106 Season 19 English Shield winners - Southend United!

It wasn't easy getting there and we had to defeat some tough teams along the way:

Mon 9 Sep English Shield Round 1 [H] 2 - 0 Luton Town

Mon 23 Sep English Shield Round 2 [A] 3 - 0 Boston United

Mon 7 Oct English Shield Round 3 [A] 1 - 0 Chesterfield

Mon 21 Oct English Shield Round 4 [H] 2 - 0 Coventry City

Mon 4 Nov English Shield Quarter Final [H] 0 - 0 Queens Park Rangers

(Southend United win 4 - 3 on penalties.)

Mon 18 Nov English Shield Semi Final [A] 3 - 1 Crewe Alexandra

Mon 2 Dec English Shield Final [N] 5 - 1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

884372_Southend_United.jpg

Heroes one and all, with special mentions to substitutes Sane, Glushakov, and Gabbiadini :D

Southend United deserved to beat Wolverhampton Wanderers 5 - 1 in a sensational final to lift the trophy.

Guardado scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Glushakov and Feghouli were also amongst the goalscorers.

3' SOKRATIS tries to tackle Andrés GUARDADO but gets the man instead of the ball.

Free kick to Southend United in a promising position.

FEGHOULI chooses to cross the free kick into the area.

The ball is into the path of GUARDADO who heads it powerfully at goal.

Goal GOAL!! - The ball sails over KRUL and into the goal.

29' Eduardo VARGAS leaves a defender for dead and squares it to Álvaro NEGREDO.

NEGREDO tries his luck with a cheeky flick at goal.

Goal GOAL!! - It drifts past the keeper and in.

35' LULIĆ wins the ball but brings down FEGHOULI in the process.

Free kick to Southend United. It looks just too far out for a shot.

FEGHOULI chooses to cross the free kick into the area.

SIVOK heads the ball at goal.

Goal GOAL!! - KRUL is at full stretch but the ball goes in perfectly to the top corner of the goal.

58' Sam RICKETTS wins the ball but brings down KEHL in the process.

Free kick to Southend United directly in front of goal.

FEGHOULI spots a gap in the wall and goes for power.

Goal GOAL!! - The ball goes just inside the post.

62' SOKRATIS tries to tackle GUARDADO but gets the man instead of the ball.

It's a free kick to Southend United.

GLUSHAKOV hits the free kick along the floor.

Goal GOAL!! - The ball goes just inside the post.

Some of the shine is taken off as Wolves are unmanaged but I'll not be worrying about that when we're playing our European ties :D

Can't believe it's only taken me 467 games to get there....! :o:eek::D

Ricardo KAKÁ has completed his move to Manchester United from Birmingham City for £2,200,000 plus Alessandro MATRI and Wálter GARGANO

Quiet happy with that

On the look out for a good CB can use A.Valencia is Part Ex??

West Brom make it 3 wins out of 3 under me. Beat Plymouth 2-0 tonight, 5 points clear of Birmingham now who are 7th (outside play offs) and just 4 points behind 2nd placed Rochdale with 6 games left, it's going to be a good finish to the Division 3 season thats for sure :D

I will do a report soon on my side, is the match report thread still active or does everyone prefer to post in here now?

Ricardo KAKÁ has completed his move to Manchester United from Birmingham City for £2' date='200,000 plus Alessandro MATRI and Wálter GARGANO

Quiet happy with that

On the look out for a good CB can use A.Valencia is Part Ex??[/quote']

check out my everton side.

Captain Gerrard on top form as Preston beat Gills

Steven Gerrard put in a man of the match performance to steer Preston to a 2-0 victory over Gillingham, capitalising on Leicester's slip up to move up to 4th in the Division Two table.

Loan striker Luis Muriel scored a brace, his 11th and 12th goals in just 14 starts for Preston, the Colombian international moving ahead of Stevan Jovetic in the goalscoring charts. However the star of the show was 33 year old Gerrard, who played a part in both goals. The first goal came on the counter-attack after a pin-point Gerrard tackle on Gills midfielder Steven N'Zonzi. The ball fell to Jovetic whose high ball into the box was met by Muriel, who headed past Geoffrey Jourdren in the 17th minute. His second goal came just before half time, a long ball from Gerrard found Henderson just outside the box. His low cross was stabbed in by Muriel before the keeper even dived. Preston sat back on their laurels in the second half, with the introduction of Mevlut Erding failing to break the deadlock.

Preston are unbeaten in four games and move up to 4th after Leicester City could only draw at home to Brighton. Their next match is an away trip to Charlton, with victory all but securing at least a play-off spot.