English Championship 106 - Discussion Thread

Burrow27

Re: English Championship 106 - Discussion Thread

Preston are English Shield champions again after a 2-0 victory over Sheffield United. Bale and Jovetic netted the goals in the final' date=' my fifth trophy in charge of Preston. Now attention turns to the EURO League. A lot of my squad depth which I used for the cup will be sold, the likes of Gago, Ibarbo etc.[/quote']

Congratulations!

Preston secure Shield title with routine victory over Sheffield United

Preston North End defended their English Shield crown with a 2-0 victory over Sheffield United on Monday night, securing the club's third piece of silverware in two seasons, and fifth during the reign of long serving manager James Burrow.

The Lilywhites were pre-match favourites, and the odds were stacked further in Preston's favour when the teamsheets were announced, with a strong team including club captain Steven Gerrard, Gareth Bale and Stevan Jovetic named. Sheffield United, under new management, were severely weakened with Allan Saint-Maximin, Lucas Silva and Moreira Maicon making their first team debut, with veteran Frank Lampard captaining the side.

Sheffield United began the stronger, as Preston showed some of the form that had seen them fail to win in four games, their last victory coming in the semi-final of this competition. However Preston soon hit their stride, and it was one of Sheffield United's more experienced players at fault for the opening goal. Alvaro Arbeloa's clumsy tackle on Steven Gerrard gave Gareth Bale the chance to open his account for the competition with a free-kick just outside the box. He duely obliged, scoring past Samir Handanovic at his near post. Sheffield United struggled to stem the flow of Preston chances, with only poor finishing denying Adam Lallana and Gerrard further goals in the first half.

The second half began in a similar vein to how the first half ended, with Bale forcing a superb save from Handanovic before Bale turned architect from another set-piece. Debutant Lucas Silva brought down Bale near the byline, allowing the Welshman to deliver a pinpoint cross for Stevan Jovetic to score his third goal in three games in the competition. The Blades looked deflated after the second goal, however came close to scoring through Carlos Strandberg. The clock ticked down towards a Preston victory, however goalscorer Stevan Jovetic didn't make the final whistle, the Montenegrin pulling up with what appeared to be a tight hamstring, with Kevin Mirallas coming on for the final few minutes.

The final whistle blew and the white-clad section of Wembley erupted into cheers and applause, as Preston successfully defended their English Shield title, an unprecedented achievement! We spoke to both managers after the match, first the Sheffield United manager:

"It was an uphill task even before kick off, having only worked with the players a day before the match. Ronaldinho and Ayew have been injured, and Thiago Silva was unable to train on Sunday, however we couldn't have fielded a team without him. I think given the circumstances we did well to only lose by two, their team was in a different league. My priority is league safety, and that's where my attention turns on Wednesday."

And the victorious Preston manager:

"I'm absolutely delighted, thrilled even! The past few weeks have been very tough and this competition has been a saving grace, but to go all the way again is just, I'm still coming to terms with it. The players were fantastic! A lot of them hadn't played in the competition thus far and you could imagine they would take their foot off the gas as it's only a cup, but they gave it their all. We've added two Shields and a Division Two title to a trophy cabinet containing two English Cups, and we're still in Europe so we could pick up another double."

Preston have a EURO League Quarter Final against fellow English side Tranmere Rovers followed by a return to league action away to Arsenal at the Emirates.

The offer for Jonathan CRISTALDO of Doncaster Rovers from Bristol Rovers has been accepted. The transfer will be completed within the next 24 hours.

Another Argentina player joining my team, dont play for the best team in the world or play in the best league but a solid signing all the same.

Dawson 89 is free to leave for cash btw people.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheltenham Town beat Peterborough United 2 - 0 in their Division 4 fixture.

Iborra scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Carrillo was also on the scoresheet for his side.

A very important win for us, we keep fighting for direct promotion to Division 3 and we assured a place in the play-off at least! 2 matches left, we're only 1 point behind 2nd placed Bristol. We'll try to win our matches and wait that Bristol loose points. We want promotion!

Alaixys ROMAO has completed his move to Cheltenham Town from Olympique Marseille for 4,020,000 plus Abdul KHALILI

Romao was a much needed player for our midfield, he's playing very well for us and i'm delighted that we got him for CV!

Cheltenham Town beat AFC Bournemouth 3 - 0 in their Division 4 fixture.

Berbatov scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Mané and Romao were also amongst the goalscorers.

It was far from an easy match for us, it was very balanced actually, fortunately for us we were very efficient and got an amazing win! We're now 3rd placed, and we have a decent chance to finish 2nd and achieve direct promotion if we win our last match! It's even still possible for us to become champions! Worst scenario will see us finish 4th and play the play-offs for promotion. I like my odds though! It will be a very interesting last week of the season! Let's go Cheltenham! :D

Just have to beat yapple's Southhampton 12-0 on Wednesday now to win Division 1 :D

You're pretty close, but you can't celebrate just yet mate! B)

Iturraspe joins Cheltenham!!

o_athletic_club_de_bilbao_iturraspe-7327694.jpeg

Ander ITURRASPE has completed his move to Cheltenham Town from Oxford United for 18,000,000
Cheltenham Town have broken their transfer record by signing Ander ITURRASPE from Oxford United for 18,000,000
Oxford United have broken their highest transfer fee received by selling Ander ITURRASPE to Cheltenham Town for 18,000,000

Top signing for Cheltenham! Iturraspe is one of the best DM's in La Liga, and he's our first 90 rated player! He was not playing in his old team, getting concerns already, so we went all in and managed to get him! He will be instrumental for us next season, and hopefully in this one already, helping us in this last match of the regular season, and eventually in the play-offs, even though i have some expectations to finish in a direct promotion place and avoid the play-offs! We'll give our best tonight!

Other great new was a positional change for our recent signing Romao! He was a DM/CM and now he's a CB/DM/CM! Just awesome. Defence is probably our weakest area, so i'm delighted with this.

HannahB steered Leeds United to victory against Aston Villa.Leeds United beat Aston Villa 3 - 1 in their Division 2 fixture.

Gomis had an impressive game and was voted Man of the Match.

Lombaerts and Martin were amongst the goalscorers.

The win means we have made it into the play-offs. Happy days.

Southampton have won Division 1!

At long last, after 660 games spanning 15 seasons, we have finally done it.:D A close shave nonetheless.

Nearly had 2 players breaking the 30-goal barrier. Messi had 32 goals (along with 38 assists), but Cavani was 1 goal away from the 30-goal mark, at 29.

Cheltenham Town have finished 4th in Division 4.
Cheltenham Town, have made it into the Division 4 Play-Offs.

My Cheltenham failed to win tonight in the last match of the season unfortunately... :( A win would mean a direct promotion to Division 3 for us, which would be amazing. But we lost, i'm obviously very disappointed, we finished 4th and we will now play the play-offs for promotion. It's never easy...

At long last' date=' after 660 games spanning 15 seasons, we have finally done it.:D A close shave nonetheless.

Nearly had 2 players breaking the 30-goal barrier. Messi had 32 goals (along with 38 assists), but Cavani was 1 goal away from the 30-goal mark, at 29.[/quote']

Congratulations, well done! And it's impressive to have 2 topscorers in the same team. Cheers.

My Cheltenham failed to win tonight in the last match of the season unfortunately... :( A win would mean a direct promotion to Division 3 for us' date=' which would be amazing. But we lost, i'm obviously very disappointed, we finished 4th and we will now play the play-offs for promotion. It's never easy...

Congratulations, well done! And it's impressive to have 2 topscorers in the same team. Cheers.[/quote']

Looking at the history of the setup, I'm surprised to see that Southampton is the first ever team in 21 seasons to break the 100 goal barrier in Division 1:eek: [Man City were closest to breaking with 99 in season 19] This is the season of high scoring games and leaky defences... all but 1 top flight team conceded 50 goals or more. And the bottom placed team... had one of the best defences in the top flight:eek:

All the best for your play-off final:)

My Cheltenham failed to win tonight in the last match of the season unfortunately... :( A win would mean a direct promotion to Division 3 for us' date=' which would be amazing. But we lost, i'm obviously very disappointed, we finished 4th and we will now play the play-offs for promotion. It's never easy...

Congratulations, well done! And it's impressive to have 2 topscorers in the same team. Cheers.[/quote']

Good luck against my Bournemouth in tomorrow's Play-Off Final

:)

Nice to see this thread is still alive afterall :)

Cheltenham Town beat West Bromwich Albion 2 - 0 in their Play-Off fixture.

Berbatov scored a goal and was later voted Man of the Match for his performance.

Cardozo was also on the scoresheet for his side.

A nice win and we will now face Bournemouth in Play-Off Final! The winner moves up to Division 3!

Abdoulaye DOUCOURÉ has completed his move to Cheltenham Town from Stade Rennais for 1,040,000 plus Martins CÉSAR

A nice signing for us, a talented young player who should get a juicy rise soon :)

All the best for your play-off final:)

Thanks' date=' appreciated! Cheers.

Good luck against my Bournemouth in tomorrow's Play-Off Final

:)

Thanks mate, you too! (not too much though! :P ) May the best win. Cheers.

At long last' date=' after 660 games spanning 15 seasons, we have finally done it.:D A close shave nonetheless.

Nearly had 2 players breaking the 30-goal barrier. Messi had 32 goals (along with 38 assists), but Cavani was 1 goal away from the 30-goal mark, at 29.[/quote']

Congrats Mr Yap. You deserved the title. ?

well done - been a long time coming