Your Footballing Life

Philippe Nguyen

Re: Your Footballing Life

At our school we have a 'Lunchtime League', where we create a football team that has 8 starting players on the astroturf. It is a year long thing and we do the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League. Recently signed up with a team and I have played 2 and a bit games. Played at Left Back for all of them, played pretty solid, won 5-0, lost 1-0 and won 1-0. Got a match next week against the best team :S And I'm going upfront because we don't have any strikers on our team! And I'm a left back/left mid by the way.

Lol' date=' I'm only 15 and I'm also considering retirement. I'm too old for this now ;)[/quote']

Football in Scotland is too much about kick and rush for a player like me tbh if you are not 6ft 2 + and can run for weeks then you have no chance ;)

Shame, cos in my opinion I'm a good wee player :rolleyes:

It gets harder with schoolwork aswell obv

Anyway' date=' I'm going to America to play football!!! Which should be a great experience. My main concern was that not many have gone over there and come back to really make it. The offer was literally too good to refuse though in terms of money and options and the chance to really get fully fit again. I've got everything pretty much agreed and I'm flying out there March to see their first MLS game, and sign on the dotted line. Then I'll come back, finish school this year, try and get as fit as possible, and move out there in Summer. Massive for me, especially since I'm not even 18 until September. Luckily, there are opportunities if I don't quite make the grade. Going out early means I can always come back for Uni here (Loughborough preferebly) and play part time or I can stay out there and play college football (apparently your treated like a God, or so I've been promised!!) so there should be no problems fitting in and meeting people. The facilities out there are also really great and hopefully this is the chance to get fit again and get my career back on track, as it's been nothing but downhill since the cap! Whether or not my style of play will suit the football out there we will have to see, but I went out last summer and I'm confident.

Sorry for the essay, pretty excited about it though :D[/quote']

Top man, all the best mate!

As for myself.. Should be joining a team in the summer, haven't played 11 a side competitively for a couple of years to be honest, just five a side, school, and with mates..

Due to my boxing, im fitter than ever at the moment, so that should aid my football ability. After about a year or so of training, I will hopefully be good and fit enough to fight competitively. Just taking it one step at a time at the moment though.. Anything can happen!

Will hopefully get enough GCSE's to stay on at Sixth Form as well.. If not then I will probably end up at college..

Ive just returned from my broken ankle and torn ligaments :D still only about 50% fit but had to play the full game against top of the league dynamos due to only having 12 men avalible and one of them not getting out of bed till half time :rolleyes: we lost 4-1 but it was nice to be back on the pitch again.

Ive just returned from my broken ankle and torn ligaments :D still only about 50% fit but had to play the full game against top of the league dynamos due to only having 12 men avalible and one of them not getting out of bed till half time :rolleyes: we lost 4-1 but it was nice to be back on the pitch again.

When you say you have just returned from a broken ankle and torn ligaments how long was you out for, and what reham did you go through . . . and what muppet of a manager would keep you on the pitch for 90 mins :confused:

Just read another post, "football next start" and similar programmes are all BS.

They only really benefit Irish lads, with so many academies and even centre of excellence over here in England and to a certain extent Scotland, if your good enough you will be picked up by a pro team ( obviously there are cases where this isnt the case ), but the majority of people who go into those programmes areno where near good enough for top pro football, I say it benefits the Irish lads because there arent really that many academies over there ( top class ) and a lad can easily go un detected by a scout from england.

My footballing life btw was short and not so sweet, just your slightly above average, county football player. Still play now for the staff footy team, which includes some beastly ex pros.

When you say you have just returned from a broken ankle and torn ligaments how long was you out for' date=' and what reham did you go through . . . and what muppet of a manager would keep you on the pitch for 90 mins :confused:[/quote']

well it was about 4 months (not long consedering the injury) and it was a few sesions of physio (to build the muscle up in my leg and build up strength in my ankle) and the rest was up to me really it still swells if its cold or i go training. i was in cast for 2 months and then started running about 2 weeks after that slowly building up to training 3 times a week with school, a team in the division below and my team and i started kicking a ball last week but its still uncomftable.

Tbh i diddnt want to play but i had to unless we waed to concede the match i was dead at half time :o

well it was about 4 months (not long consedering the injury) and it was a few sesions of physio (to build the muscle up in my leg and build up strength in my ankle) and the rest was up to me really it still swells if its cold or i go training. i was in cast for 2 months and then started running about 2 weeks after that slowly building up to training 3 times a week with school' date=' a team in the division below and my team and i started kicking a ball last week but its still uncomftable.

Tbh i diddnt want to play but i had to unless we waed to concede the match i was dead at half time :o[/quote']

Not long at all considerin pro's who have full time physio staff can and have been out for much much longer.

TBH, your putting your long term health ( i say health, i mean you ankle and ability to walk, run etc on it ) at risk. Im by no means a trained physio, but from experience at work and my studies, you shouldnt be left to do your own rehab and physio. Id seriously consider getting your mum and dad to fork out some money for a physio session once a week.

Not long at all considerin pro's who have full time physio staff can and have been out for much much longer.

TBH' date=' your putting your long term health ( i say health, i mean you ankle and ability to walk, run etc on it ) at risk. Im by no means a trained physio, but from experience at work and my studies, you shouldnt be left to do your own rehab and physio. Id seriously consider getting your mum and dad to fork out some money for a physio session once a week.[/quote']

I know its a bit of a risk but they sggested the best thing to do was to get on a exerise bike and get working and thats what ive done.

My mum i planning on taking me to the doctors to have it looked at again as she thinks it isnt right and gets free health care (inludes physio) with her job so i can get it if i need it. The coah has also said he is only using me as a sub for the rest of the season B) so that game was only a one off

Good luck .... What School you at and what school are you playing ? B)

Balwearie HS And We're Playing Williamwood HS (I think that's the name, they're in Glasgow anyway).

First home game we've had since god knows when. :o

Just a little bit of extra info about my past footballing life (lol).

Only recently started playing again, I'm without a club team but play LB for my school after converting from a striker in my days of 7 a side (I banged them in like! :P).

Weird thing is I'm right footed, but hate playing at RB. Can only really play LB, CB, Holding Mid & Occasionally CM. :)

I made a decision to hit the gym more often because I was not really strong though I am tall and quick. I've probably spent more time in the gym than on the pitch and I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty hench now; upper body is stronger and lower body is more stable. I was 69 now I'm around 77kg. It may be a bit late at 17 but I thought I'd make one final stab at making it pro. Next up is an intense fitness regime. I want to literally be a freak. I have to organise to go for a few trials here and there. If I can make some progress before I have to start uni then that would be fantastic; over ambitious but fantastic.

Congrats 1Cap hope it works out for you.

I'm very like Omzin were I have now decided to work a lot in the gym. I started going about a month ago. I've soccer training 3 times a week so I could only fit in 2 times a week. At the moment I do 20 mins on the treadmill, 15 mins on the rowing machines, 10 minutes on the bikes, 30 mins of weights and 20 minutes of stretching and flexibility exercises. Playing soccer now I feel strong which I'm delighted about. I was fierce weak and that was my downfall. I still have a long way to go but I'm delighted that the hard work in the gym is paying off.

Good luck Omzin8a wish you all the best.

Thanks a lot' date=' really appreciated.

I'm very like Omzin were I have now decided to work a lot in the gym. I started going about a month ago. I've soccer training 3 times a week so I could only fit in 2 times a week. At the moment I do 20 mins on the treadmill, 15 mins on the rowing machines, 10 minutes on the bikes, 30 mins of weights and 20 minutes of stretching and flexibility exercises. Playing soccer now I feel strong which I'm delighted about. I was fierce weak and that was my downfall. I still have a long way to go but I'm delighted that the hard work in the gym is paying off.

I just sat down to think one day and I realised no pain is no gain. Well better late than never. My current team has 3 training sessions a week too but I can only manage one a week. I'd get kicked out of college for skipping lessons, which wouldn't bother me but the college runs the team so no college = no team. I figure I'll continue with the one session a week I can make but still pursue the trials as they are my best option; I certainly can't get moved to the 1st or even 2nd team if I attend only once a week.

I nearly signed for Altrincham!!! Have you been down their before? Another trial... You might know a couple of people. Guy from my school trains with the youth team' date=' doesn't play though I don't think. Tom Cole?[/quote']

I can't really remember any names, I was in the U-15s for a week and they said that I was good but I live too far away.

Anyway' date=' I'm going to America to play football!!! Which should be a great experience. My main concern was that not many have gone over there and come back to really make it. The offer was literally too good to refuse though in terms of money and options and the chance to really get fully fit again. I've got everything pretty much agreed and I'm flying out there March to see their first MLS game, and sign on the dotted line. Then I'll come back, finish school this year, try and get as fit as possible, and move out there in Summer. Massive for me, especially since I'm not even 18 until September. Luckily, there are opportunities if I don't quite make the grade. Going out early means I can always come back for Uni here (Loughborough preferebly) and play part time or I can stay out there and play college football (apparently your treated like a God, or so I've been promised!!) so there should be no problems fitting in and meeting people. The facilities out there are also really great and hopefully this is the chance to get fit again and get my career back on track, as it's been nothing but downhill since the cap! Whether or not my style of play will suit the football out there we will have to see, but I went out last summer and I'm confident.

Sorry for the essay, pretty excited about it though :D[/quote']

Nice, I'm trying to get on a school footy trip to go out their in summer but I aint sure if I'll be able to afford it, good luck mate, maybe see you on the DB soon ;)

Good luck lads!

My training regime is a bit mixed......

Monday - Boxing training 2 hours.

Tuesday - Jogging for 30 mins, weights for about 15 mins + 15 mins of Cardio

Wednesday - Boxing training 2 hours.

Thursday - See Tuesday.

Friday - Break, of if I feel like it 30 mins of jogging.

Saturday - Break

Sunday - See Tuesday + Thursday

Boxing is the best thing to do to increase fitness and strength levels. I play football a couple of times a week as well, not nearly as much as I used to!

Its been a while since I updated this.

Killenagh My youths team aint played in like 2 months =/ !!! our cup game against Moyne Rangers like the best team in Wexford has been called off numerous times!!!! snow, pitches too wet and worst of all a tiny patch of the pitch was frozen and it was called off EVEN THOUGH our U.14 team had just played on the same pitch earlier!!

Got called up to my senior team 3 weeks ago. Played 3 weeks in a row, Was pitched in at centre back from the start the first day in the cup against a far superior side and I played very well!! we lost 2-0 though.. Got out first win in the league for 3 months last weekened we won 1-0 :D ..... Its a real step up from youths, Every player is much bigger and fitter and its a lot more physical but thats the sort of game I Like :D..... playing the unbeaten team in my div on Sunday will let you know how i get on :D Have played 270 mins from the 3 mens games I have played!!

Am training every night of the week though!! got absolutely NO time for anyhting no more!! Between school, night study till 7, Then on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Matches usually Saturday and Sunday and then some school matches in Gaelic Football and Soccer!!! and Juggling a Gf also :( Tis tough =/ anyhow I'll survive and I aint got anyhting 2moro so :D:D:D:D:D:D

I made a decision to hit the gym more often because I was not really strong though I am tall and quick. I've probably spent more time in the gym than on the pitch and I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty hench now; upper body is stronger and lower body is more stable. I was 69 now I'm around 77kg. It may be a bit late at 17 but I thought I'd make one final stab at making it pro. Next up is an intense fitness regime. I want to literally be a freak. I have to organise to go for a few trials here and there. If I can make some progress before I have to start uni then that would be fantastic; over ambitious but fantastic.

Congrats 1Cap hope it works out for you.

Your 17 ? Thats certainly to late. I mean it would be a a massive stroke of luck if you did, especially considering you havent even been playin recently, Second year scholars at academies are told by the age of 17 if they will have a pro contract :eek:

Good luck fella, you'll need it ! :D

Your 17 ? Thats certainly to late. I mean it would be a a massive stroke of luck if you did' date=' especially considering you havent even been playin recently, Second year scholars at academies are told by the age of 17 if they will have a pro contract :eek:

Good luck fella, you'll need it ! :D[/quote']

Oway mate, he could be a late developer:p