Sign in to follow this  
Magic J

Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Rumours around the US that Lerner and Ancelotti are both in Birmingham. Only speculation though.

Please for the love of god be true !

Not knowing is killing me, i hate not knowing who our manager is.

Guest 1CapWonder

I've heard it's gonna be Ancelotti.

I stand by what I said when he joined Chelsea. In my personal opinion, he's not a top class manager. Admittedly, he won the champions league twice but with that calibre of team, to only win one Serie A and one Italian cup was never good enough, neither was finishing 5th etc with that team.

However, I think he's a so called "big name manager" and a good guy so I'd be more than happy to have him at Villa.

Would have loved a more long term appointment, but considering what we've been through, let's just have him in and be done with it. I'm a little worried that our youth system/policy will stumble, as his record in that department is poor. I'm also slightly worried he will shackle some of our attackers to be less free flowing BUT his first aim will be to sort out our defence, which is a GREAT idea!

[/b]

Here's your common sense from above' date=' no-one can save a penalty against Scott Sinclair at this rate but that's far from the point. Conceding four goals against Swansea just shows that he's not good enough at Premiership level, along with [b']the fact he simply hasn't shown any sort of Premiership quality.[/b] Daft paper talk - agreed :)

You should've cut out all the penalties stuff and just used that as your argument that Villa shouldn't sign him :o

Kieran Westwood? The guy is available for a free, is 100% cut out to be a top goalkeeper and is still releatively young in GK years. Wages wise, he would be much cheaper than Given too.

lol.

Im saying we should sign him because he isnt good enough. Just daft paper talk :)

You don't know what you are talking about basing your answers on one game (more the defense in front of him anyway). ;) Obviously you haven't seen much of their games or him in general and how he rates compared to the other GK's in that league.

You don't know what you are talking about basing your answers on one game (more the defense in front of him anyway). ;) Obviously you haven't seen much of their games or him in general and how he rates compared to the other GK's in that league.

Sorry what are you on about ?

Iv seen him on more than one occassion and on each occassion he has done nothing to suggest he is of premiership quality. Certgainly not a keeper i wish to be taking a risk on.

Nor did i ever say im basing my opinion of him of one game.

Obviously you have no idea what your talking about :rolleyes:

I couldnt give a two cents how he rates to other CHAMPIONSHIP goal keepers.

He isnt good enough for Aston Villa. END OF.

I've heard it's gonna be Ancelotti.

I stand by what I said when he joined Chelsea. In my personal opinion' date=' he's not a top class manager. Admittedly, he won the champions league twice but with that calibre of team, to only win one Serie A and one Italian cup was never good enough, neither was finishing 5th etc with that team.

However, I think he's a so called "big name manager" and a good guy so I'd be more than happy to have him at Villa.

Would have loved a more long term appointment, but considering what we've been through, let's just have him in and be done with it. I'm a little worried that our youth system/policy will stumble, as his record in that department is poor. I'm also slightly worried he will shackle some of our attackers to be less free flowing BUT his first aim will be to sort out our defence, which is a GREAT idea![/quote']

He'd do really well at Villa,with Milan and Chelsea he had to constantly put up with boardroom battles and at Villa he wouldn't have that so he'd have some say over what he can do for the first time in his career,if you look at the players his had actually the chance to sign then his record in the transfer market is very good indeed,he got the likes of Kaka,Pato in and also made Pirlo into one of the best defensive midfielders around.

At Chelsea he didn't have too much of a say either with the likes of Torres and Zhirkov been brought in above his head,however the players he did bring in such as David Luiz who is class but a bit dodgy as well,I can see him giving the kids a good shot as well as whilst at Chelsea he was trying to bring through the likes of Mceachran,Kakuta and Bruma but obviously couldn't fully see that through.

Top class appointment IMO and would certainly with the right investment give you a chance of the top six again.

Now according to everything' date=' Ancelotti has not once been talked too and he wants a year off. Lerner was supposed to be heading to Birmingham today to have long talks with him.[/quote']

Yeah i read that. Shame.

Not that i ever expected it to happen.

Yeah i read that. Shame.

Not that i ever expected it to happen.

Don't know if it's him. According to the Mirror' date=' he had a thing in his contract saying that if he left Chelsea, he couldn't manage in the EPL for a year. Don't know if that goes with being sacked.

[url']http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Carlo-Ancelotti-faces-a-year-on-the-sidelines-if-he-is-sacked-as-Chelsea-manager-because-a-clause-in-his-contract-bans-him-from-working-for-another-Premier-League-club-for-12-months-after-leaving-the-club-article737070.html[/url]

Don't know if it's him. According to the Mirror' date=' he had a thing in his contract saying that if he left Chelsea, he couldn't manage in the EPL for a year. Don't know if that goes with being sacked.

[url']http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Carlo-Ancelotti-faces-a-year-on-the-sidelines-if-he-is-sacked-as-Chelsea-manager-because-a-clause-in-his-contract-bans-him-from-working-for-another-Premier-League-club-for-12-months-after-leaving-the-club-article737070.html[/url]

Roma job was open, Juve job was too-plenty in Spain (eg Atletico). I'm sure a good coach like him, who did not have a torrid season by any means, could have got one of those jobs. The removal of Ray Wilkins couldn't have helped matters. I'm just saying that he proably fancies a year out rather than being unable to manage:)

Martin Jol has gone to Fulham. Another possible manager crossed off Lerner's shortlist :o

Wasnt my favourite but wad definitely in the top 4 of my preferences.

Not sure if we can post external links' date=' so I won't. But the Daily Mail is strongly linking us to Steve McClaren.[/quote']

You can post external links.

If we get the wolly i shall not be getting my season ticket. After 4 years of uni and looking forward to getting my season ticket back ill be gutted if we get the wolly.

Im holding out for Hughes ( whose odds have dramatically shortened this morning / last night after we were initially thought to distance ourselves. ) or an audacious attempt for Moyes ( again not gonna happen ). Would rather take a punt on Hughton than Wolly.

Here's the story for anyone interested then;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2000187/Steve-McClaren-set-Aston-Villa-vacancy-talks.html

Also a mention of Ashley Young:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2000143/Ashley-Young-set-complete-Manchester-United.html

Mind you, I wouldn't take the daily mail too seriously. They were also running a story linking us to a 6mill move for Nuri Sahin a few weeks ago!

Don't blame Cuellar at all though. I can't understand how Dunne edged him out last season...

Im not. Why the heck would he wanna sit on the bench knowing he could do a better job than the muppets starting.

if the current favourite gets it i cant see the villa fans being all that happy tbh (and the order of the favourites is pretty much matched on betfair atm)

A certain symmetry thou if Rafa follows GH :D tbh thou I would't want Rafa at Villa if that happened they would be in the top 6 mix again, unlike atm where the highest they could finish is 8th at best

A certain symmetry thou if Rafa follows GH :D tbh thou I would want Rafa at Villa it that happened they would be in the top 6 mix again' date=' unlike atm where the highest they could finish is 8th at best[/quote']

problem for the new manager is that young is gone, downing quite probably gone so whilst albrighton is there who else is left to play on the flanks (although they'll have around 30 mill to play with)

and according to sky villa have approached rafa over the job...

I'd be relatively happy with rafa, Good track record.

The one thing that does worry me though, He didnt bring many players through from the academy at liverpool did he? Something villa like doing.

The one thing that does worry me though' date=' He didnt bring many players through from the academy at liverpool did he?[/quote']

its because most of them are garbage thanks to heighway using the academy to build teams to win the youth cup, not develop first teamers (hence why many of the 'better' ones in recent times are in league 1 now and the best once since gerrard is stevie warnock) - the expression 'you cant polish a turd' springs to mind here

rafa restructured the academy in the summer of 09 and since then there have been quite a lot of good players coming through - pep guardiola the other day was saying the only academy close to barca's is liverpools, which was totally restructured by rafa