Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Bent and Makoun money will come back with the sale of Young and downing' date=' of course Lerner was going to put money in to the club once he had taken over.

And it didn't help when his top scorer was sold off, the season finished with him still their top scorer. Him and Diego had formed a promising partnership together, until he was sold in january.

[b']So you're saying McLeish is a better man for the job[/b]?

I guess hes the pride of Birmingham so it dosn't matter which Birmingham club hes at, hes the best man for the job for Sunderland, Everton and whoever else is fighting for the places just outside the top 6 next season

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

Bent and Makoun money will come back with the sale of Young and downing' date=' of course Lerner was going to put money in to the club once he had taken over.

And it didn't help when his top scorer was sold off, the season finished with him still their top scorer. Him and Diego had formed a promising partnership together, until he was sold in january.

So you're saying McLeish is a better man for the job?[/quote']

And the money from the sales this summer will be reinvested. No I don't say that. Please tell me where I did. Your claim about us not spending is unfounded.

I guess hes the pride of Birmingham so it dosn't matter which Birmingham club hes at' date=' hes the best man for the job for Sunderland, Everton and whoever else is fighting for the places just outside the top 6 next season[/quote']

Sunderland and Everton? Don't really get what you mean here.

And the money from the sales this summer will be reinvested. No I don't say that. Please tell me where I did. Your claim about us not spending is unfounded.

Really? You think that? I personally don't, what i see behind McLeish coming in was to steady the ship a bit, maybe Lerner got a bit worried how close you were to being relegated, and McLeish is known to build a strong defense, and with Bent upront, you're guaranteed goals=Prem survival. Thats how i see it anyway. Both are very good managers(Mcleish&Mclaren), but i would've rather had Mclaren personally.

Really? You think that? I personally don't' date=' what i see behind McLeish coming in was to steady the ship a bit, maybe Lerner got a bit worried how close you were to being relegated, and McLeish is known to build a strong defense, and with Bent upront, you're guaranteed goals=Prem survival. Thats how i see it anyway. Both are very good managers(Mcleish&Mclaren), but i would've rather had Mclaren personally.[/quote']

Yup 150 million pound of investment in transfers over a smallish period for him to come in and steady the ship and for us to become mid table mediocrity. Not a wise business plan.

Im sure virtually all the sales from this summer will be reinvested. Sure of it. We needed to invest anyway, with 30 million we can buy replacements, and strengthen the defence.

Sunderland and Everton? Don't really get what you mean here.

Really? You think that? I personally don't' date=' what i see behind McLeish coming in was to steady the ship a bit, maybe Lerner got a bit worried how close you were to being relegated, and McLeish is known to build a strong defense, and with Bent upront, you're guaranteed goals=Prem survival. Thats how i see it anyway. Both are very good managers(Mcleish&Mclaren), but i would've rather had Mclaren personally.[/quote']

I myself would say that Villa should be aiming for much more than survival, but Mcleish does have a reputation as a defensive manager. One thing that would worry me is the amount of money he spends. Villa have been willing in the past to spend a lot on players and back the manager (Downing and Young, both rumoured to be leaving, weren't exactly cheap, Bent not either. However, Mcleish has spent HUGE amounts in charge of teams before, but for what? I'm sure others know more about it than me but its not like he wasn't given enough money.

He should be given a chance since he could provide the solidarity that Houlier never could, but it is strange appointing his mas manager given his past team and more importantly his not so impressive record.

Yup 150 million pound of investment in transfers over a smallish period for him to come in and steady the ship and for us to become mid table mediocrity. Not a wise business plan.

Im sure virtually all the sales from this summer will be reinvested. Sure of it. We needed to invest anyway' date=' with 30 million we can buy replacements, and strengthen the defence.[/quote']

What you have to remember is that the league as a whole has become so much more competetive, teams like Stoke are now an established Premier League side, mid table mediocrity isn't a bad thing either for a club like Villa, i know they were challenging for top 4 not so long ago, but the league has come on a lot since then.

Of course though, if the money is reinvested, then you could obviously push for europa.

What you have to remember is that the league as a whole has become so much more competetive' date=' teams like Stoke are now an established Premier League side, mid table mediocrity isn't a bad thing either for a club like Villa, i know they were challenging for top 4 not so long ago, but the league has come on a lot since then.

Of course though, if the money is reinvested, then you could obviously push for europa.[/quote']

The big six seems to be (in whatever order) United, Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham. Any team whether it be Villa or someone else is going to have a hard time getting into the Europa against those teams TBH. However, Villa could push for the 6th spot if they make some good signings. Spurs not too long ago were pretty awful under Juande Ramos but look where they are now, and Villa if they make good signings could still, IMO at least hope to challange Spurs/the 6th spot.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/254885/Aston-Villa-get-no-big-spree

This link is interesting. If he does not get the whole 20, how much will he get? Since Downing, Young, Reo Coker and Bradley are not staying the team is starting to look a little thin on depth. If Albrighton and Agbonlahor get injured say, there wouldn't be a great option to replace them. Same with Makoun/Petrov-Delph is ok but is not going to push Vilal into the top 7 or 8.

The big six seems to be (in whatever order) United' date=' Chelsea, City, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham. Any team whether it be Villa or someone else is going to have a hard time getting into the Europa against those teams TBH. However, Villa could push for the 6th spot if they make some good signings. Spurs not too long ago were pretty awful under Juande Ramos but look where they are now, and Villa if they make good signings could still, IMO at least hope to challange Spurs/the 6th spot.

[url']http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/254885/Aston-Villa-get-no-big-spree[/url]

This link is interesting. If he does not get the whole 20, how much will he get? Since Downing, Young, Reo Coker and Bradley are not staying the team is starting to look a little thin on depth. If Albrighton and Agbonlahor get injured say, there wouldn't be a great option to replace them. Same with Makoun/Petrov-Delph is ok but is not going to push Vilal into the top 7 or 8.

That was my point, villa is far away form that 6th place, and currently there are clubs who have a much better chance of achieving that than villa, Sunderland aren't bad, Stoke will keep on improving, Newcastle have done well in the market, then theres Everton aswell, all these teams have as much chance as getting 6th place than villa.

And i'm not surprised he's not getting all of it.

That was my point' date=' villa is far away form that 6th place, and currently there are clubs who have a much better chance of achieving that than villa, [b']Sunderland aren't bad, Stoke[/b] will keep on improving, Newcastle have done well in the market, then theres Everton aswell, all these teams have as much chance as getting 6th place than villa.

And i'm not surprised he's not getting all of it.

Yeah ok! :rolleyes:

What on earth are you basing that pap on.

:confused:

We finish 6th three seasons in a row, have a hundred and one things to deal with this season, which admittedly was the worst in a long time, finished 9th and you have the balls to say Stoke have and Sunderland have more of a chance of finishing 6th than us ?

Yeah ok :rolleyes:

You really dont have a clue. Im not saying we will finish 6th but that is utter tripe, unfounded tripe.

We will reinvest cash from these transfers, if we didnt do that thats the only way Stoke :rolleyes: would have a better chance of finishing 6th than us. Sunderland :rolleyes:

Christ.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2008212/Stewart-Downing-hand-transfer-request-secure-18m-Liverpool-switch.html

It this is true it is likely to really alienate him from the supporters. What I am saying that if he wants to move he has to pretty much go public about him being a bit of a **** to practically the whole country. Submitting a transfer request is never popular really.

But if N'Zogbia is available for 9 million he would be a good buy-can play both wings well. So even if Downing stays he could easily start IMO or at least be a great bench player to provide competition.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2008212/Stewart-Downing-hand-transfer-request-secure-18m-Liverpool-switch.html

It this is true it is likely to really alienate him from the supporters. What I am saying that if he wants to move he has to pretty much go public about him being a bit of a **** to practically the whole country. Submitting a transfer request is never popular really.

But if N'Zogbia is available for 9 million he would be a good buy-can play both wings well. So even if Downing stays he could easily start IMO or at least be a great bench player to provide competition.

18m for downing is too much IMO

Alot of people dont like Downing anyway' date=' i want him to leave. The money could be invested wisely... an example Nzogbia.... would be a awesome replacement.

18m for downing is too much IMO

Way to much. He is no where near good as he thinks he is ! Enjoy him ;)

Alot of people dont like Downing anyway' date=' i want him to leave. The money could be invested wisely... an example Nzogbia.... would be a awesome replacement.

Way to much. He is no where near good as he thinks he is ! Enjoy him ;)[/quote']

There are actually a couple Wigan fans I know personally that did say Villa made an official bid for N'Zogbia (they read it on Vital Wigan so they're getting 0 credit). Though to be fair, N'Zogbia's crossing and passing isn't exactly top notch. As a wide forward, something Messi used to be, something Ronaldo is, then yes. Being able to cut in often to take a shot, but after losing a player that typically gets double figure assists, can you really lose another player who can almost get double figure assists?

A few papers are linking us with a 14 million bid to return Jimmy Milner to Villa Park.

PURRRLLLEEAASSEEE

I've seen this too. Would totally love that. 18mill for Downing then 14mill of that for Milner would be excellent business IMO. Don't know how much truth is in the stories though...

That was my point' date=' villa is far away form that 6th place, and currently there are clubs who have a much better chance of achieving that than villa, Sunderland aren't bad, Stoke will keep on improving, Newcastle have done well in the market, then theres Everton aswell, all these teams have as much chance as getting 6th place than villa.

And i'm not surprised he's not getting all of it.[/quote']

agree with Legend on this,i think Villa has good squad,but need consistent manager,i excepect Stoke and Sunderland fight for Europe this season,Nzogbia is great player similar to Nani would be better addition then Downing,i always expected Carew and Heskey have bigger impact on games,dont know whats wrong with them

Yeah ok! :rolleyes:

What on earth are you basing that pap on.

:confused:

We finish 6th three seasons in a row' date=' have a hundred and one things to deal with this season, which admittedly was the worst in a long time, finished 9th and you have the balls to say Stoke have and Sunderland have more of a chance of finishing 6th than us ?

Yeah ok :rolleyes:

You really dont have a clue. Im not saying we will finish 6th but that is utter tripe, unfounded tripe.

We will reinvest cash from these transfers, if we didnt do that thats the only way Stoke :rolleyes: would have a better chance of finishing 6th than us. Sunderland :rolleyes:

Christ.[/quote']

I'm sorry, didn't think it'd actually make you cry when i said that :o

I think its about time you look at the future, instead of living in the past, the days when you were challenging for 4th, Liverpool had one of the best first 11 in the world and were hitting 4 goals against the likes of madrid and manu, move on, i know it must've been hard for you to look at the league as a whole last season as villa were in a bit of a mess, but it has become much more competitive, and whilst you were searching for a coach, teams like Stoke and Sunderland have improved greatly.

What makes you think that you are clear favourites over Sunderland and Stoke to challenge for 6th place?

Stoke reached the FA Cup final last season, when was the last time villa did? They will only improve next season, Pulis has done a fantastic job there.

Sunderland have a decent first 11, guaranteed goals with Gyan, excellent striker, decent mid and defense, and a solid keeper in Gordon.

Its much tighter than you make it out to be, and unless villa spend money, can't see them being clear challengers for 6th place.

I'm sorry' date=' didn't think it'd actually make you cry when i said that :o

[b']I think its about time you look at the future[/b], instead of living in the past, the days when you were challenging for 4th, Liverpool had one of the best first 11 in the world and were hitting 4 goals against the likes of madrid and manu, move one, i know it must've been hard for you to look at the league as a whole last season as villa were in a bit of a mess, but it has become much more competitive, and whilst you were searching for a coach, teams like Stoke and Sunderland have improved greatly.

What makes you think that you are clear favourites over Sunderland and Stoke to challenge for 6th place?

Stoke reached the FA Cup final last season, when was the last time villa did? They will only improve next season, Pulis has done a fantastic job there.

Sunderland have a decent first 11, guaranteed goals with Gyan, excellent striker, decent mid and defense, and a solid keeper in Gordon.

Its much tighter than you make it out to be, and unless villa spend money, can't see them being clear challengers for 6th place.

:eek::eek:

Holy ....... That coming from a liverpool fan.

I'm going for a lie down.

I think we're also all forgetting that even with O'Neill leaving 5 days before, losing their best player for a player who doesn't care, made no other summer transfers and waited a couple weeks to get an actual manager in, they were a total of 10 points behind 6th place.

Obviously losing Young's goals and double figure assists is going to hurt but a few buys and with McLeish actually there for the pre-season, a full backing from Lerner, I don't see why they couldn't fight for 6th, and with a much better defense which McLeish can bring, 5th.

I think we're also all forgetting that even with O'Neill leaving 5 days before' date=' losing their best player for a player who doesn't care, made no other summer transfers and waited a couple weeks to get an actual manager in, they were a total of 10 points behind 6th place.

Obviously losing Young's goals and double figure assists is going to hurt but a few buys and with McLeish actually there for the pre-season, a full backing from Lerner, I don't see why they couldn't fight for 6th, and with a much better defense which McLeish can bring, 5th.[/quote']

Im not saying they can't, all im saying is that there are a lot more teams now who are capable of competing for 6th, the league as a whole has become a lot more competetive, and the gap between sides form 6th to 10th has become much smaller, so villa are less likely to qualify for europe, thats all i said, but certain idiots like to make a mountain of a mole hill :)

EDIT lmao 5th??

with a much better defense which McLeish can bring' date=' 5th.[/quote']

problem is that the improved defence is very much due to the detriment of the attack - pretty sure he went something like 15 months without a league win by more than one goal

problem is that the improved defence is very much due to the detriment of the attack - pretty sure he went something like 15 months without a league win by more than one goal

That's true. But there is also Bent. Who can score for pretty much any team he played for, be it an attack minded team, be it for a very defensive minded team. Be it as a rarely used sub player like he was at Spurs and he still was scoring more goals then the usual starters. Which compared to the strikers at Birmingham City, I don't think scoring is going to be a problem, even played on the counter down the wings.