Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

What do you guys think on the chances of Lichaj leaving on loan or even permanently? I've heard that you lot are after Hutton, might open up a move for Lichaj.

We've been linked with him again is all. Don't even need a right-back but he was bloody excellent there last year and his throw is beastly.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

What do you guys think on the chances of Lichaj leaving on loan or even permanently? I've heard that you lot are after Hutton' date=' might open up a move for Lichaj.

We've been linked with him again is all. Don't even need a right-back but he was bloody excellent there last year and his throw is beastly.[/quote']

Just read that on Sky. From my point of view, i just cant see him leaving again, definitely not permanently. Young is aging and injury prone, Cuellar could well leave ( he aint much of a RB anyway ), we have lost out on Walker and there is no one else available so even if he wont start for us i could see him being involved in the first team squad.

But like you say, if we bring someone in, then maybe yes, on loan. Id be peeved if we signed Hutton....

Reports suggest ( no shock to anyone really ) that Liverpool will come back in for Downing with a improved bid.

Local press, the Birmingham Post + Express and star are suggesting that we have agreed a 3.5 million pound bid for Shay Given.

Some newspapers, also suggesting we are now front runners for Scott Parker :eek::eek::eek:

is oneill back in charge paying big fees/wages for old' date=' overrated british players?? :D[/quote']

We buy big fees for (8 mill really big?) a proven premier league player.... You spend 55 million on two english overrated players :D:D.

I know which i would choose.

We buy big fees for (8 mill really big?) a proven premier league player.... You spend 55 million on two english overrated players :D:D.

I know which i would choose.

parker is on around £70k a week, will cost the best part of £10m and is about to turn 31 and is increasingly injury prone player who relies on his physical condition and is just about in the england team due to their collective gashness, whereas the two guys we've signed at least if they turn out to be cack we can at least flog them fairly easily as their wages arent meant to be too much (around £50k a week)

parker is on around £70k a week' date=' will cost the best part of £10m and is about to turn 31 and is increasingly injury prone player who relies on his physical condition and is just about in the england team due to their collective gashness, whereas the two guys we've signed at least if they turn out to be cack we can at least flog them fairly easily as their wages arent meant to be too much (around £50k a week)[/quote']

you really think we would give him 70k? We're not under O'Neill anymore.

I think your slightly exaggerating his wages and injury proness, and under estimating his value and what he would add burs mate.

My mate is a avid West Ham, watches home and away, goes to a fair few games too and cannot sing enough praises about Parker. I appreciate this could include some bias, but he is a intelligent bloke and understands football.

Parker would be a great signing for us. I wouldnt want to pay 10 million, nor would it cost that much in my opinion. I think our upper bracket is 65-75 but unsure, i reckon we could get 3 years of quality performances from him. Id love him.

Parker would be a great signing for us. I wouldnt want to pay 10 million' date=' nor would it cost that much in my opinion. I think our upper bracket is 65-75 but unsure, i reckon we could get 3 years of quality performances from him. Id love him.[/quote']

its not so much his ability/injury proness, its more that two of your CMs (makoun and petrov) are fairly old (29 and 32), ireland seems to have just given up and bannan and delph are still young and inexperienced, so wouldnt it make more sense to get someone around 22/23/24 yrs old who's fairly developed and can get better over parker?

Well look at it this way' date=' If we could get Hutton, Parker and N'Zogbia for a bit more than we get for downing it would be a great but of buisness.[/quote']

would bump up the wages massively, but tbh as a liverpool fan i'd rather have nzogbia over downing!!

its not so much his ability/injury proness' date=' its more that two of your CMs (makoun and petrov) are fairly old (29 and 32), ireland seems to have just given up and bannan and delph are still young and inexperienced, so wouldnt it make more sense to get someone around 22/23/24 yrs old who's fairly developed and can get better over parker?

[/quote']

What your saying makes sense. But Parker is better than Petrov by a hundred million miles. I think this season shall be a massive season for Delph ( injuries permitting i said this last season then got his cruciate ligaments done over ).

Parker isnt necessary what we need.... but he is class !!

I reckon there is nothing to stop us from signing Nzogbia end of this coming week. Whelan has come out and said the club cant afford to lose him on a free next season, and although they want him to stay, they have to listen to offers. After all, he has made it pretty obvious he would like to leave, certainly what the media are reporting anyway.

Come on charles, join the villa :D

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_7030217,00.html

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_7030378,00.html

Stephen Ireland says he is 'really determined' to make an impact at Aston Villa this season after revealing he was sent to Newcastle United against his will.

The midfielder joined Villa from Manchester City last summer, but made just 12 appearances prior to a January loan move to Newcastle.

Injury restricted Ireland to just two substitute outings for the Magpies after he had failed to find favour with former Villa boss Gerard Houllier.

With Alex McLeish now in charge in the Midlands, Ireland is hoping that he will be given an opportunity to prove why he became a fans' favourite at City.

Fair shot

"I've come back this year really determined and really ready to give it a good shot, and hopefully this manager gives me a fair go, which I haven't had in a while," Ireland told Sky Sports News.

"That's all I'm asking for, is a fair shot. I'm not asking for special treatment, I'm just asking for a fair crack at playing.

"It's very difficult for confidence. Like you say I was a fans' favourite (at City), and that's what I wanted to become here, have that same support of the fans.

"I haven't played five games in a row since Mark Hughes (was City manager), so it's not as if I've played in 20 or 30 games and not done anything.

"I haven't had the opportunity to perform to even be in that situation. I came in for training and went home. My job was just training, that was it."

Regarding his winter move to St James' Park, Ireland said: "I got sent to Newcastle basically against my own will.

"I came here as a new signing, and I was here to play every second of every game. I came here really determined and wanted to kick on.

"I came here under Kevin MacDonald and everything seemed fine and was going in the right direction.

"Gerard came in, and everyone has their own opinions, and I wasn't for him I guess."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2389485,00.html

Stephen Ireland is ready to make a fresh start to his Villa career, insisting: "I'll give my all for the cause."

The Irish midfielder endured a difficult first season after joining from Manchester City last August.

He picked up a couple of niggling injuries and then slipped down the pecking order under former boss Gerard Houllier.

A frustrating loan spell at Newcastle followed when an ankle problem restricted him to just two appearances.

But Ireland is determined to kickstart his claret and blue career under new manager Alex McLeish.

"You have to start with a fresh new slate now," he said. "It didn't go off with a bang like I wanted it to when I first signed here.

"I just want to be given the opportunity to play. Last year I felt in training I had done enough to get that chance to play but it didn't happen for me for whatever reason.

"I want to play as often as I can and that is why you do pre-season - to stamp your name on the teamsheet as early as you can and then maintain it all season.

"There is a lot I want to give for the team and the cause and I am hoping I get a fair shot."

A major regret for Ireland since his switch from Eastlands is the lack of opportunities to shine in front of the Villa faithful.

That is something he hopes to address quickly with consistent performances.

"That's my main goal and my target," Ireland said. "I haven't played enough games and that's what I intend to put right.

"The only way of me building up a better relationship with the fans is by playing, regardless of what's said in the press.

"You do the talking on the field and that's exactly what I want to do.

"The fans are brilliant and all I ever wanted was to play in front of them but I haven't been given those opportunities.

"Summer has gone and pre-season is here and we just need to move on with the new manager and new staff."

Ireland revealed he is set to claim his favourite no.7 shirt for the 2011-12 campaign after it was vacated by Ashley Young.

The reshuffle will allow Darren Bent to take the traditional goalscorer's no.9 jersey.

"Darren's taking no.9 and I'm taking no.7," he added. "My number has always been seven, but when I came here Ash had got that number.

"But now I've got the one I want and so has Darren so we're really happy about that.

"I've always worn the no.7 since I was a young boy and it's the number I love. It kind of is a superstitious thing.

"The no.9 probably comes with a bit more pressure but I'm sure Darren can handle that and score the goals and hopefully I can do what a number seven should and set him up for a few of them."

Im happy to give Ireland one more shot. I was appalled at his attitude last season, but im not sure if that was a fair judgement from me. He didnt look interested enough though, so he will have to address that.

He is such a talented player, could be a great hit.

Ahhhh' date=' we have bidded 18m for downing.... On skysports news although I kind of doubt it tbh, I like downing but I don't think he would improve us, he would be a good backup I reckon but not for 18m.[/quote']

I hope it's true and Downing seals a move to you lot. The guy is nowhere near worth £18M, very average and his attitude stinks. We gave him a go, has one good season, so now in his eyes he thinks he's made for CL (should Arsenal pass the CL qualifying round, thats where they'll be), horrid player. £18M is more than enough for Downing, i'd have settled for near £10M I want him out that badly. Now bring in Hutton, N'Zogbia and hopefully Parker. :) UTV!

I hope it's true and Downing seals a move to you lot. The guy is nowhere near worth £18M' date=' very average and his attitude stinks. We gave him a go, has one good season, so now in his eyes he thinks he's made for CL (should Arsenal pass the CL qualifying round, thats where they'll be), horrid player. £18M is more than enough for Downing, i'd have settled for near £10M I want him out that badly. Now bring in Hutton, N'Zogbia and hopefully Parker. :) UTV![/quote']

Yes please :-D

Given would be a nice prezzie too !!

UTV

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_7030562,00.html

Looks like Hutton should be a villa player by this week sometime, if were in advanced talks with them.

Solid signing.

EDIT: Just watched the Ireland interview, seems he is gonna make a big push this season. he bloody better, he is such a good player when on form !

We need a dynamic midfielder like him.

Has a ridiculous voice though ! cant take him seriously ha !

what changed your mind so fast :P

Realising we wouldnt get walker and actually thinking about how good he is, he is a bit un fashionable in my eyes, something that I let sway my opinion but we need a rb and he is solid enough. Certainly played enough at spurs during spells. Not spectacular, definitely solid though.

Ahhhh' date=' we have bidded 18m for downing.... On skysports news although I kind of doubt it tbh, I like downing but I don't think he would improve us, he would be a good backup I reckon but not for 18m.[/quote']

I was right to doubt it :P its confirmed we didn't make a bid and villa have put a 20m tag on him.

So we should have given by the end of this week then ! Nice to have sorted an issue that really did need addressing. Really wanna are Parker at us! We don't really need a player in that position but his quality of available should be brought in !! Hopefully downing gets his wish and does one this week !