Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Well if Alan Pardew has said he's near to a move that's not Newcastle' date=' and Villa's statement says "We believe there are replacements available in the market who can strengthen our squad ahead of the coming season, and we are in discussions as such."

Does suggest that it probably is N'Zogbia, especially as McLeish wanted him when he was at Birmingham[/quote']

If he really is that good, then i'm sure clubs other than villa will be after him. I'm not saying he wont sign for villa, but for me it's not 100%.

Did i say that ? I pointed out the fact you SAID he relied on crosses. he Doesnt. Your now back tracking.

Never questioned the importance of either of them either. I dont disagree with you' date=' they were important, but can be replaced.

Just because we over paid, doesnt mean its a fair price that your paying now.[/quote']

And what are crosses? ''The delivery of a ball from a wide position to a teammate in or around the penalty area''.

Did i say it was a fair price? NO. villa overpaid for him first YES. Paying 12mill for him when he had a broken leg is worser YES.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

And what are crosses? ''The delivery of a ball from a wide position to a teammate in or around the penalty area''.

Did i say it was a fair price? NO. villa overpaid for him first YES. Paying 12mill for him when he had a broken leg is worser YES.

No i dont think it is.

Why are you being so ridiculously stubborn..... yes crosses go into the box, but Bent DOESNT rely on crosses :rolleyes:

I think what Legend is trying to say is that Bent relies on service a lot, and with the wingers gone it will be hard to come by on the left (Albrighton IMO is a great crosser). ALTHOUGH if N'Zogbia arrives then that can be rectified of course.

Some forwards come deep to get the ball and can contribute if they have little service-Bent does't do this as much is what I think Legend is trying to say.

So while the idea of Bent relying on crosses from a winger running down the wing is not true IMO (I haven't seem him play as much as people on this thread may have, but a fair amount) I think what Legend is trying to say that Bent, if starved of service, will not have as good a goalscoring form as last season. Admittedly many strikers do rely on service-very few can really have even a decent game without it (those that can are Rooney's, Messi's etc). But even these players need service, as do all forwards really, and Legend was saying that if N'Zogbia doesn't arrive it won't be as great as last season. Though Villa are likely to sign him with Pool already having Downing.

Cheers..... :confused:

Can't stand the bloke mate,aside from El Hadji Diouf his the bloke I despise most in football tbh,I remember the lack of effort he put in for us and he couldn't even be bothered to run,best of luck in signing him but he'll expect to be the main man at Villa and I can see him leaving hoping for a big move within a couple of years.

Not saying Villa are small club by the way,but he wants a move to a Champions League club yet there is a reason they have never gone out and bought him.

Can't stand the bloke mate' date='aside from El Hadji Diouf his the bloke I despise most in football tbh,I remember the lack of effort he put in for us and he couldn't even be bothered to run,best of luck in signing him but he'll expect to be the main man at Villa and I can see him leaving hoping for a big move within a couple of years.

Not saying Villa are small club by the way,but he wants a move to a Champions League club yet there is a reason they have never gone out and bought him.[/quote']

Ahh i get it now :D

I thought you was on about his quality. Its what we need right now so its worth the risk. He stayed at wigan for a while, if he honours his contract ( if we sign him ), ill be happy.

I understand what you mean bud :)

No i dont think it is.

Why are you being so ridiculously stubborn..... yes crosses go into the box' date=' but Bent DOESNT rely on crosses :rolleyes:[/quote']

''The delivery of a ball from a wide position to a teammate in or around the penalty area''.

It's obvious that paying £12m for Downing when Villa did was not worse' date=' as they made an £8m profit on him. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Don't cry. If you look at it that way,

20Mil Downing, 35Mil Carroll, total = 55Mil

Quailifying for Champions League = 40m+

If these two are able to link up well and produce the goods, could may well be worth their fee's.

Worser isn't a word :P

Really?? :P

A2R you should pipe down' date=' I'd be embarrassed if my club spent 80m+ on the likes of Carroll, Adam, Henderson, Downing...

Looks like Villa have replaced Downing with a younger and IMO better player.[/quote']

LMAO, wow! do you really want me to start talking about all the flops coming to manure?? And none of these players have had a run in the team yet, so you should be embarrassed for posting something so silly.

And about N'zogbia, for me he's a wide forward, his instinct will tell him to cut inside and shoot, different player to Downing. (Just pointing it out, not saying which player is more effective).

shay given is meant to be going to villa, thought i'd post this optajoe tweet to get some discussion going:

68% - Shay Given has saved 68% of shots on target faced in the last five seasons - below the Premier League average of 70%. Discuss.

shay given is meant to be going to villa' date=' thought i'd post this optajoe tweet to get some discussion going:

68% - Shay Given has saved 68% of shots on target faced in the last five seasons - below the Premier League average of 70%. Discuss.[/quote']

It would be nice to know what the likes of vdS, Reina, Cech, Friedal etc stats are compared to that, as that's surprisingly low...B)

It would be nice to know what the likes of vdS' date=' Reina, Cech, Friedal etc stats are compared to that, as that's surprisingly low...B)[/quote']

reina's is 77.8% for the past 5 seasons (from 06/07 to 09/10 its 80% btw) - only one i could be bothered working out

shay given is meant to be going to villa' date=' thought i'd post this optajoe tweet to get some discussion going:

68% - Shay Given has saved 68% of shots on target faced in the last five seasons - below the Premier League average of 70%. Discuss.[/quote']

Mmmmm ! Interesting and slightly worrying.

Iv always liked Given but never rated him as good or better than friedal. However I think he will do a solid job for us. Interestingly Iv always as many other have, highlighted his shot stopping as his best attribute although this stat suggests other wise !!

Oh goody you have stopped back tracking !!

I cant see cole coming when he is on a ridiculous wage at Liverpool.

Well he must be really stupid if he thinks a club other than his current one will be willing to pay so much in wages for him. Had nothing short of a ridiculous season, must've put atleast 2 stones of weight on!

I don't really understand why there are some people on here trying to tell Villa fans that they shouldn't be pleased at the moment, for overpaying for Downing in the first place or being linked with a player like Joe Cole on the back of a poor season.

They've sold Downing for 3 times his value and are looking to bring in a winger in N'Zogbia who can actually take his opposition full-back on. There close to pulling off a great deal in signing Given and although Joe Cole wouldn't be the best of signings it'll be Liverpool that will most likely be paying Cole £300k+ at the end of month :P

I don't really understand why there are some people on here trying to tell Villa fans that they shouldn't be pleased at the moment' date=' for overpaying for Downing in the first place or being linked with a player like Joe Cole on the back of a poor season.

T[b']hey've sold Downing for 3 times his value[/b] and are looking to bring in a winger in N'Zogbia who can actually take his opposition full-back on. There close to pulling off a great deal in signing Given and although Joe Cole wouldn't be the best of signings it'll be Liverpool that will most likely be paying Cole £300k+ at the end of month :P

Downing is worth a lot more than 6/7 million.