Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Magic J

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

This is from the BBC:

1605 - GOAL: Aston Villa 0-1 Tottenham

The boy has been on fire recently and Aaron Lennon is the man of the moment again. The flying winger roasts Luke Young down the right-hand side and whips in a great cross that Paul Robinson can only palm straight to Jermaine Jenas, the midfielder heading in from close range to give Spurs the dream start.

Paul Robinson? :eek::confused:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?!?!?! :mad: 2-0 Spurs FFS! Darren Bent is lethal from 6 inches out! Who would have guessed it eh? ;)

Robbie Keane turns the rebound goalwards for Darren Bent to turn it in from all of six inches. He's lethal from there, don't you know.

The Villa fans were jeering Agbonlahor when he got taken off for Delfouneso! It doesnt sound like he played well but should you not be getting behind the team? It wont do anything for his fragile confidence after having not scored in a while. GAME ON! JOHN CAREW! 2-1!

Must be the only time Arsenal wanted Spurs to win. Im still wondering how Spurs won this. They scored 2 goals against the run of play and Zokora got taken off which was a shame. He would have cost them a goal. To all you Villa fans would you take Owen now? Most chances he gets are in and thats what i think you need right now.

Must be the only time Arsenal wanted Spurs to win. Im still wondering how Spurs won this. They scored 2 goals against the run of play and Zokora got taken off which was a shame. He would have cost them a goal. To all you Villa fans would you take Owen now? Most chances he gets are in and thats what i think you need right now.

They recently bought Heskey didn't they. So that's Gabby, Carew, Heskey, Harewood & Delfouneso.

'Villa have wrecked there Europe opportunity now with Arsenal back on track. I live in B'ham so know alot about Villa, would've been good for them to wreck the Big Four spot but if they don't pick themselves up they are wrecked.

I remember when O'Neill played out a youth team against CSKA at Home and they lost, O'Neill done that to rest his players for the Prem so they can get Champs league, what a huge mistake it is now!

Oh Dear:mad::( well tbh we need 2 make some MAJOR signings in the summer tbh

Well, a good few signings won't hurt but you guys should try looking on the bright side (it's hard but, whatever....:)). There was a period in the first half for about 15 minutes, between the two goals in which you guys really dominated the game. You'll made some brilliant attacks down the right flank and for a while really gave Liverpool quite a bit to worry about, and forced some really good saves out of Reina. It was the second goal that really knocked the stuffing out of you guys imo. If you guys could play even one half as well as you did in those 15 odd minutes against Liverpool you should be able to crack almost and defense in the premier league. Recreate that form and you guys will go far even without buying any players. ;):)

Guest 1CapWonder

Ok, haven't really had time to read the other posts as I'm off after this so please, if I've repeated anything said I don't mean to lol.

Firstly, I'm a big Villa fan, was at the game yesterday at Anfield, and have only missed a few this year. I'm from Manchester but down at VP as often as possible on my season ticket with my mate (ironically the only other Villa fan in Stockport I think, we are both mad for the club) and away games I have only missed 3 this year.

My views on our current situation are:

MON:

Martin O'Neill is doing a phenomenal job and one of the keys to our success has been the young, English players he has brought in. Having only a handful of foreign players in the squad has to help team morale and have an impact on the dressing room.

The Fans:

For me, magnificent yesterday as we have been all year, although Villa Park has to learn to get up for even the smaller games. The problem we have is really getting behind the team when we need it. I do believe the booing after CSKA was justified. MON played a weaken team so that we would beat Stoke and we failed to do this. The booing of Agbonlahor is frustrating for me. I see the reasons, some see his work rate as unacceptable, but I would point out John Carew - A fans favourite who is first to clap the fans, show his fondness of us etc etc. Because of this I feel he gets away with a lot. He does not chase lost causes, he flatters to decieve on occasions and is frustrating as anyone else at the club. However he is very effective, and can provide moments of quality and aerial ability we do need. Heskey, is a much harder worker though.

Formation:

This is a strange one. At the start of the season we did so well, playing the 3 in midfield with Nigel having the energy to tuck inside and get up and down the Right Flank. Carew played down the middle, with Agbonlahor also drifting out wide, and Ashley Young hugged that left touchline all day long. It was effective, we got results and we were playing well. Then with Carew injured, we started playing 4-5-1. We were able to bring in Milner, who played wide right, Young left, and the 3 in midfield, no Reo Coker but Sidwell this time. Agbonlahor is not your typical lone striker but he did very well and a lot of his 10 league goals this year came from that. Finally, at the moment, I appreciate how much Heskey gives us but there is no need to change a winning formula! With him, our record is in fact poor :( I want him in the squad and we need him, but at the moment, lets go back to what served us so well early on!

Nicky Shorey:

What is it with the lad! O'Neill just doesn't fancy him! He would rather play Cuellar or Reo Coker, or Gardner, or Milner or even Davies ahead of switching Luke Young back to Right Back and Shorey left. I think he's been very hard done by since his recent run of games in the team early on, when we were winning! Strange, very strange.

I don't have a lot more to say after this, I know it is very longwinded but I've tried to brighten it up with colours. Leave your comments on what I've said, would like to hear from anymore hardcore Villa fans who follow us home and away too and get your views. I think our fans are very fickle, and it's frustrating.

If you guys could play even one half as well as you did in those 15 odd minutes against Liverpool you should be able to crack almost and defense in the premier league. Recreate that form and you guys will go far even without buying any players. ;):)

Not bad advice and i think you will find you ONeil will already know you can bounce back and have a better chance of picking up a point or even 3 in your next game even though its away .

Hope you do .;):)

well i do think we have to be careful of united @ OT bcs they are a wounded animal now:eek:! but and this is a big but, the guys need to run their hearts owt to beat united but i truely believe we can do it!!!!:D i hope friedel isnt suspended tho cudnt believe y the ref sent him off n torres mayb cud av helped his cause:mad:!

• 3 weeks later...

This thread went quiet! Gee I wonder why?

Our back four needs to sort it out. I still can't get over the finish at OT, I mean Macheda's goal was absolute class but he never should have been allowed the ball in that position with only one man closing him down. I didn't get to see the Everton game here in the States but from all match reports it sounds like the back four was completely lost. We are seriously missing Laursen, obviously.

Honestly I never really felt like we could hold 4th place all season. Although I certainly didn't expect such a swift drop-off. It's a disappointment, but 5th is probably what we deserve, and that's nothing to be ashamed of.

MON needs to be willing to go into Europe this summer and take some chances on players who are hungry to join the Prem but aren't attracting the big four. Defour from Liege, for instance, who expressed a willingness to come to Villa. Look what Fellaini has done. MON needs to find players like that.