Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Magic J

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Owen could be a good signing for Villa or any team outside the top 4 - with a full pre-season behind him and some luck with injuries I think he could still be very good premier league striker.

Any team taking him would be sensible to put him on pay as you play though....

He has been fit for a while now. He wouldnt need a pay as you play deal but any team who would pay him his current wages would be mad. For 50k a week you wont get anyone better for putting away chances.

He has been fit for a while now. He wouldnt need a pay as you play deal but any team who would pay him his current wages would be mad. For 50k a week you wont get anyone better for putting away chances.

He's been available but not playing - before that this season he has come back, played 3 games and then got injured again. That has been the way throughout his time there. 71 appearances in 4 years is easily low enough to warrant a pay as you play deal.

It goes without saying that his wages should/will come down....

Another stat though - 26 goals in 71 appearances - that is a good strike rate by anyones standards

Marcus Berg could be a good buy for Villa. He's a natural goalscorer, good in the air and on the ground. Would fit right into your style of play. :)

The downside is that he won't come cheap; Ajax see him as a replacement for Huntelaar, but Groningen want 15m euros for him. AZ Alkmaar are also interested. His price could soar were he to perform well at the UEFA U-21 Championships next month.

He's been available but not playing - before that this season he has come back' date=' played 3 games and then got injured again. That has been the way throughout his time there. 71 appearances in 4 years is easily low enough to warrant a pay as you play deal.

It goes without saying that his wages should/will come down....

Another stat though - 26 goals in 71 appearances - that is a good strike rate by anyones standards[/quote']

Michael Owen would not a pay as you play deal. Unless John Carew leaves he knows he might not be first choice and it wouldnt be down to him being injured but not being picked.

Well.

Liam, i do not want Owen at Villa lol, regardless of what his stats say, i dont think he has it anymore. Would prefer someone a bit younger and more exciting to be honest ! plus his wage demands are pathetic lol

Well looks as if Barry is moving to Manchester City for a fee believed to be around £12 Million pounds. Now, for once i have no problem with City, as this is the calibre of player they should be going for instead of the likes of Kaka, which infuriates me.

My problem lies with the scumbag, traitor and hypocrit that is mr. Gareth Barry.

He stated he wanted to leave Villa for a Champions league team, no correct me if im wrong , are city in the CL ? are they even in Europe ? erm . . . . . . . NO !

He buckled down at Villa last season and said he will stay if we get CL, we came close, and true to his word he wanted to leave, i would not begrudge the man a move to a top four team who could offer CL, but to CITY ??

WHAT ! for no other reason than a beautiful pay packet of £90,000 pound per week.

I hold him in the same regard as Robinho, a person who chooses money over Ambition, their word and loyalty.

Good ridance. Before this i beleived that there would be a fair few transfers surrounding villa park, but now, i reckon it will be very busy.

What a way to end what in truth has been a great career at Villa, we should love him, but this is leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Well.

Liam' date=' i do not want Owen at Villa lol, regardless of what his stats say, i dont think he has it anymore. Would prefer someone a bit younger and more exciting to be honest ! plus his wage demands are pathetic lol

Well looks as if Barry is moving to Manchester City for a fee believed to be around £12 Million pounds. Now, for once i have no problem with City, as this is the calibre of player they should be going for instead of the likes of Kaka, which infuriates me.

My problem lies with the scumbag, traitor and hypocrit that is mr. Gareth Barry.

He stated he wanted to leave Villa for a Champions league team, no correct me if im wrong , are city in the CL ? are they even in Europe ? erm . . . . . . . NO !

He buckled down at Villa last season and said he will stay if we get CL, we came close, and true to his word he wanted to leave, i would not begrudge the man a move to a top four team who could offer CL, but to CITY ??

WHAT ! for no other reason than a beautiful pay packet of £90,000 pound per week.

I hold him in the same regard as Robinho, a person who chooses money over Ambition, their word and loyalty.

Good ridance. Before this i beleived that there would be a fair few transfers surrounding villa park, but now, i reckon it will be very busy.

What a way to end what in truth has been a great career at Villa, we should love him, but this is leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth.[/quote']

You did love him, until today. :D

You did love him' date=' until today. :D[/quote']

I havent held him in the same regard as i used to after his behaviour last season regarding a move to Liverpool, but i cant doubt i admire what he has done performance wise for Villa. Still all of the names i mentioned below.

Well.

Liam' date=' i do not want Owen at Villa lol, regardless of what his stats say, i dont think he has it anymore. Would prefer someone a bit younger and more exciting to be honest ! plus his wage demands are pathetic lol

What a way to end what in truth has been a great career at Villa, we should love him, but this is leaving a very bitter taste in my mouth.[/quote']

Take your point, but with the money City are planning on spending in the transfer market he obviously considers them a better long term prospect than Villa.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong, and I'm sure 90k a week helps :o but he wouldn't go anywhere just for the money - City have the means to go as far as they want to, something Villa perhaps can't say.

Take your point' date=' but with the money City are planning on spending in the transfer market he obviously considers them a better long term prospect than Villa.

I'm not saying he is right or wrong, and I'm sure 90k a week helps :o but he wouldn't go anywhere just for the money - City have the means to go as far as they want to, something Villa perhaps can't say.[/quote']

Were rumoured to have around 30-35 million, what has been confirmed is that last years budget of 50 million has been cut. I understand your point, but this has left a very very bitter taste in my mouth. IMO, money grabber !

On the bright side (for you)' date=' insiders at Elland Road claim Delph is set for a £7m deal (including installments) to Villa.

Can't say how trustworthy Bradley Johnson's agent is though.[/quote']

lol, if that was true thats great news as he is a talent, but he is no where near the standard off Barry atm !

On the bright side (for you)' date=' insiders at Elland Road claim Delph is set for a £7m deal (including installments) to Villa.

Can't say how trustworthy Bradley Johnson's agent is though.[/quote']

This is half the problem with English football.

£7M will buy you a decent experienced player from abroad - over here it will buy you a talented teenager who is totally unproven above League 1 level. If Villa are willing to pay it then fair play, i hope it works out, but most EPL teams wouldn't and thats why the EPL is full of average foreigners - because british players are too expensive.

Like my man Mr Adamski this just does not sit right. Gareth Barry without a doubt has been a fantastic player for us and has only improved as he got older. I remember seeing his debut season and never thought he looked too good to the extent he would be an international and also our best player.

I also never took him for a guy who followed the pay packet rather than success. True, Man City have the money to match there ambitions but as Chelsea have found out does money buy you success.

I will always respect Barry for what he has given us and too be honest he gave us ten years, cost nothing and we are now profiting millions. It's not bad business really for a near thirty year old, i just hope he doesnt end up being a average player in a team of money grabbing primadonnas.

Tis also a shame that Ireland signed a new deal because it would of been great too see him replace Barry.

Guest 1CapWonder

Now then' date=' who are Villa gunna replace him with? :o[/quote']

Fingers Crossed young Fabian is on his way :o

Guest 1CapWonder

What about Miguel Veloso? Or Riccardo Montolivo?

I don't want O'Neill going abroad for the sake of it. If Delph is there for the taking snap him up and stick to our British policy. If not then possibly look abroad but I think we would be looking at someone more attack minded, as we already have Stan who sits in, aswell as Nige and Craig. Sidwell too.

I don't want O'Neill going abroad for the sake of it. If Delph is there for the taking snap him up and stick to our British policy. If not then possibly look abroad but I think we would be looking at someone more attack minded' date=' as we already have Stan who sits in, aswell as Nige and Craig. Sidwell too.[/quote']

Do you really think Sidwell, Reo-coker or Gardner can replace Barry?, their good squad players but that's about it. Also with Villa now you can't really go and pick up another player of Barry's quality for 12 mill so u'll get another average player or have to spend over the odds like 15 + mill.

Fingers Crossed young Fabian is on his way :o

Delph as a replacement for Barry? £7 million? I don't think that Delph is the right person to replace Barry. Making the step up from League One to the Premiership is a big one' date=' I think. Is Delph currently good enough for the Premiership? I don't think he is. I think he would be better if he played in the Championship next season. Also, a 19 year-old from League One can't replace Barry, I think maybe he will be better than Barry in the future, but I don't think he is at the moment. I think you would be better getting a foreign player from abroad like the ones I mentioned rather than Delph. Also, 7 million is over half of the money you recieved for Barry. That's quite a lot to risk on a 19 year-old player from League One. Also, Villa don't have [b']that[/b] much money where they can pay £7 million on a player like Delph. I think they would be better spending money on an established player. If Delph wasn't a good replacement for Barry, then I think £7 million is a lot to have wasted.

Guest 1CapWonder

Delph as a replacement for Barry? £7 million? I don't think that Delph is the right person to replace Barry. Making the step up from League One to the Premiership is a big one' date=' I think. Is Delph currently good enough for the Premiership? I don't think he is. I think he would be better if he played in the Championship next season. Also, a 19 year-old from League One can't replace Barry, I think maybe he will be better than Barry in the future, but I don't think he is at the moment. I think you would be better getting a foreign player from abroad like the ones I mentioned rather than Delph. Also, 7 million is over half of the money you recieved for Barry. That's quite a lot to risk on a 19 year-old player from League One. Also, Villa don't have [b']that[/b] much money where they can pay £7 million on a player like Delph. I think they would be better spending money on an established player. If Delph wasn't a good replacement for Barry, then I think £7 million is a lot to have wasted.

I have seen the lad play and he's got something. Whether he could gradually play game after game I would hope to see a Long Term replacement. I fully hope that players like Stevie Sidwell and Nige can step up for a season on 2 and play to their peak potential. Hopefully with players like Delph coming through we will be ready for Champions League football when it comes. I fully believe Delph is on his way and I am more than happy to see him replace Barry. I hope he proves his critics (well, BenMotty :rolleyes:) wrong :)

I have seen the lad play and he's got something. Whether he could gradually play game after game I would hope to see a Long Term replacement. I fully hope that players like Stevie Sidwell and Nige can step up for a season on 2 and play to their peak potential. Hopefully with players like Delph coming through we will be ready for Champions League football when it comes. I fully believe Delph is on his way and I am more than happy to see him replace Barry. I hope he proves his critics (well' date=' BenMotty :rolleyes:) wrong :)[/quote']

That would be an intresting bet - what comes first for Villa - Champs League football or Delph retires after a great career.

7 Mill is a massive price for an untried teenager, but fair play to Villa if they are willing to take the gamble and nurture him for the next 2 to 3 seasons, hopeing he dosn't move on when the finished product as well.

I agree wth certain points of your post Ben. Delph, could not and will not replace Barry he simply does not have the experience at the level Villa are pushing for. However, long term, great buy and i think 7 million is a little over the top from what iv seen, and that is BARE minimum :)

I think we needed to invest in some young talent anyway so thats all good in my books, Elliot, i think we should now start to go abroad as to continue our great, English policy literally smallens our pool of players to choose from. I think we need to look abroad in all honesty, i mean as long as we buy the right type of player. look at Carew and Laursen :)

We need a big name player, and to be honest i have no idea who we will go for as Reo Coker and Sidwell simply arent good enough to replace him. They are great squad players and good players to have for the UEFA cup but not good enough for where we are aiming to go.

Now we have to replace to great players in Barry and Laursen.

Financially we are sound, All Lerner said is that he will not be splashing cash around like Chelsea / Man city, thats pretty much the sum of what he said. Our budget from our rather extragant fund of 50 million last year has been cut, but it was beleieved / rumoured to be around the 30 million mark and with money from Barry i have no doubt we are in a sound enough financial situation to replace both the major departures AND bring in the squad players we need :)

PS

BARRY IS A JUDAS

In this case it is difficult for Villa. But in my opinion why would you pay 7 million pounds for an untried teenager when you can buy an established international and consistent starter for a top club (Miguel Veloso) for about 9 - 12 Million. If Bolton can attract him i'm 128.6% sure Villa can too. Perfect replacement pretty much young, athletic, wealth of experience and a great player with Cesc like distribution and a Gerrard esque shot.

What a way to end a great career at Villa, he has CLEARLY done it for "non" footballing reasons.

If he was interested in moving to the best club / offer and have a chance of playing in the CL etc he would have waited over the summer to see what offers come in and weighed up his options etc not just move this fast when the market has barely started! ENJOY THE WAGES BARRY!! :D

I'm glad hes moved tho to be honest, not because Villa lose him but because I didn't want him at Liverpool, the only way I would want Barry would be if he came really cheap and was used as a squad player, hes a great player no doubt I just wasnt mad on him and defo didnt want to lose Alonso for him.

Next season will be quite funny as I still see Villa doing much better than City, the Club, the manager is just much better.... we can then all laugh and point at Barry :D