Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Magic J

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

This is half the problem with English football.

£7M will buy you a decent experienced player from abroad - over here it will buy you a talented teenager who is totally unproven above League 1 level. If Villa are willing to pay it then fair play' date=' i hope it works out, but most EPL teams wouldn't and thats why the EPL is full of average foreigners - because british players are too expensive.[/quote']

Bare in mind that it's probably around £3m, with ridiculous installments like England appearance and 50 goals that will either never be fulfilled, or will take many years.

But I agree, when Darren Bent is signing for £15m and Keane for £20m, it just shows the state of English football. This is one big reason why clubs are signing loads of players abroad - they're so cheap!

So you have four sets of fans - the Villa fans who are massively disappointed (and some outraged) to see their leader go for money, the Liverpool fans who are breathing a sigh of relief that Barry will not be replacing Alonso, the City fans who claim he isn't as good as De Jong or Kompany and the neutrals who are disappointed to see someone like him go for money.

As for Delph, of course he wouldn't replace Barry, straight away that is. If he's nurtured right, then in a good few years he could well be the replacement.

Thing is with football (unless you're one of the big 4 or City), you have to either go for experience, or take a risk on a talented footballer in the hope of finding the next big thing. And unless Villa take the risk, it's not going to pay off. If this is true, fair play to O'Neill.

And remember Ashley Young? A young, fairly unproven (one season in the EPL), signed for nearly £10m. And now look at him. England international and PFA Young Player of the Year.

Ultimately I hope it is all false and he stays at Leeds, but I just can't see it. :(

What a way to end a great career at Villa' date=' he has CLEARLY done it for "non" footballing reasons.

If he was interested in moving to the best club / offer and have a chance of playing in the CL etc he would have waited over the summer to see what offers come in and weighed up his options etc not just move this fast when the market has barely started! ENJOY THE WAGES BARRY!! :D

I'm glad hes moved tho to be honest, not because Villa lose him but because I didn't want him at Liverpool, the only way I would want Barry would be if he came really cheap and was used as a squad player, hes a great player no doubt I just wasnt mad on him and defo didnt want to lose Alonso for him.

Next season will be quite funny as I still see Villa doing much better than City, the Club, the manager is just much better.... we can then all laugh and point at Barry :D[/quote']

i have to be honest and say to me the move makes pefect sense and this is why, over the summer Man City will buy a few top level players with Barry been one of the first, to me it seems like Liverpool cooled there intrest in Barry and i think arsenal want Alonso if im honest. Aston Villa have now lost Laursen,Barry and ive heard Ancelotti wanted to buy Young as well which would then mean there best 3 players are gone and theyd have to rebuild which at 28 Gareth doesnt have time for.The fact is that he as took a gamble on Man City getting into top 4 in the future and i think he has more of a chance there than at Villa regardless of where they finished in the table espically if they sign Tevez and a few others they could really challenge next season.

Delph is 19 now, will be 20 by next season. At that age he can expect to get a starting place if he impresses, but won't have any experiance of Premier league football which will take half a season to get by which point Villa are well behind 4th. Also i can see you guys buying him so he can have 2-3 years at the top level playing Europa league football each season by which point he will have ripened ready to be plucked by one of the big four. B)

The rumours i heard today from a Spurs fan(yes there are some out there) is that we are after Bentley and Huddlestone and can get both for £20mill. Not sure what others think if it happens i kind of like Bentley but dont think he has ever shown his full potential but i'm not sure on Huddlestone. Also on Delph, no doubt he will be a star for the future and too be honest it would be good if we grabbed him before one of the big four sign him up and stick him in the reserves. So if he costs £7mill and the other two £20mill and we only have £30mill to play with thats our transfer dealings pretty much sorted.

We really need to concentrate on defenders, they just are not good enough and another quality keeper wouldnt go amiss, Friedal was a bit suspect at times last season although he also had moments of brilliance. If O'neil continues his english born system i would try and grab Ben Foster, although the likelyhood of that is so slim. Joe Hart would be an excellent addition and a proven keeper. Even Chris Kirkland now Wigan have lost Bruce would be worth looking at.

The rumours i heard today from a Spurs fan(yes there are some out there) is that we are after Bentley and Huddlestone and can get both for £20mill. Not sure what others think if it happens i kind of like Bentley but dont think he has ever shown his full potential but i'm not sure on Huddlestone. Also on Delph' date=' no doubt he will be a star for the future and too be honest it would be good if we grabbed him before one of the big four sign him up and stick him in the reserves. So if he costs £7mill and the other two £20mill and we only have £30mill to play with thats our transfer dealings pretty much sorted.

We really need to concentrate on defenders, they just are not good enough and another quality keeper wouldnt go amiss, Friedal was a bit suspect at times last season although he also had moments of brilliance. If O'neil continues his english born system i would try and grab Ben Foster, although the likelyhood of that is so slim. Joe Hart would be an excellent addition and a proven keeper. Even Chris Kirkland now Wigan have lost Bruce would be worth looking at.[/quote']

I think Bentley is an attacking midfielder first, but I understand I'm one against many in that debate. I think if you could back him up in the midfield (tough tackler like Huddlestone for example, though I'm not convinced with Huddlestone), he could be a revelation as a playmaker for you and he's English which is nice to see.

I'd also love to see you buy Kirkland because I think a step up to a bigger club is loooooooong overdue and I think when fit, he's the best English goalkeeper on Earth. I think when he's on his game he is as good as anyone.

i have to be honest and say to me the move makes pefect sense and this is why' date=' over the summer Man City will buy a few top level players with Barry been one of the first, to me it seems like Liverpool cooled there intrest in Barry and i think arsenal want Alonso if im honest. Aston Villa have now lost Laursen,Barry and ive heard Ancelotti wanted to buy Young as well which would then mean there best 3 players are gone and theyd have to rebuild which at 28 Gareth doesnt have time for.The fact is that he as took a gamble on Man City getting into top 4 in the future and i think he has more of a chance there than at Villa regardless of where they finished in the table espically if they sign Tevez and a few others they could really challenge next season.[/quote']

Villa have a much better Manager and are more stable / better run as a club (as in you never know what those other chaps in charge of City might do if nothing great happens this season once Hughes is using "his players"

Putting that a side and the fact Villa looked much better this season until the later stages due to lack fo a squad, if Barry really only moved in hope of CL football why move so fast?

Man Citys "targets" and who they will actually end up getting will be 2 totaly different things as most BIG players will not move for the cash alone ala Kaka.

So if Citys summer didn't go fully to plan and Villa strengthed there squad also then imo Villa would still finish above City and have a better chance of finishing in the top 4.

For me Barry moved wayyyyy to fast for it to be a totaly football related decision, he has not seen who is coming and going from City and has just signed anyway.

Another thing I can also see happening, lets say City do manage to break into the top 4 this season, qualify for the CL.. Barry would then be 29 which aint a massive problem however hes hardly a world beater and with City's cash and the amount of "big" names that would all of a sudden be interested in joining them due to a massive wage and CL football, Barry could well find himself either on the bench or sold

Delph' date=' im not sure. I think he's over-rated from what i've seen from him. Bids from big clubs not materilizing etc... All looks as if Delph is too good too be true for me, and has never impressed me in a match has he. Perfer the likes of Snodgrass at Leeds.

[/quote']

I disagree. Over-hyped maybe, but not over-rated. No-one's saying he's a superstar for EPL standard. He's a top youngster, and just hasn't had the chance to prove himself at a higher level - just because he's in L1 doesn't make him bad (I know you haven't said this, but I have seen other clueless idiots on articles claiming he can't be good because he's in L1).

He may not have impressed you in a match, but over the course of the season he has probably been our best player. Yes, Snodgrass definitely outshone him in the latter stages of the season, but Delph has been ever-present. Most of our live matches were towards the end of the season where he was playing LM (not his favourite position), so obviously his performances are going to suffer. But in the centre, he is stunning.

And he's one of those players that has something about him that can change a game in a second. Be it a stunning strike, a pass that splits a defence wide open or a piece of trickery that gets him into a good position. I can prove you video evidence for all three.

Why has know one mentioned out of favour Michael Johnson at Man City as a replacement for Barry? I'm pretty sure since Barry has arrived and De Jong, kompany, elano, fernandes and possibly more to come. Man City would look to offload him perhaps?

Villa also need 1 more striker and 1 more defender. Sell Carew and Harewood and buy Vagner Love. As for the defender situation, I'm stumped.

Johnson would of been a nice squad addition imo, but imo, due to his injury last season and thus lack of experience / first team footy, would not be good enough / experienced enough to replace him, i mean he is a english international and all :P

I wouldnt mind buying him now, i mean he aint gonna play for city now is he with Barry, Ireland, Kompany and De Jong.

Villa need to get rid of Knight, and buy 2 defenders, Hangeland would be a ace target, and he is a official target i believe but we would have to figh for his signature hard !

Hope we bid for Vermalanen aswel, i also reckon we need another AM, Bentley would be great imo, not as a replacement for barry but on top of.

Sell Carew ? are you having a GIRAFFE ! he is pivotal for us, offers something different and was our top goal scorer !!! keep him !

Harewood will not doubt go and we need to bring in someone with alot of quality, a clinicial finisher :) someone different to gabby and carew.

I have mentioned it on this thread before but if you get Owen on 50k a week he would be a very good signing. Just like the proven finisher you mentioned. Everton are planning to offer him a similar deal so do not miss out! :P

id rather play Knight up front than pay owen 50k a week to get injured and use our fab physio facilities:)

id rather play Knight up front than pay owen 50k a week to get injured and use our fab physio facilities:)

He has been fit for a while now so i think his injuries are behind him tbh. The only problem is no-one in our team gives him any decent service and as a result he has not scored since January. I do not think that would be a problem in your team since you have good wingers.

Guest 1CapWonder

Interesting view on what we need Adam.

Here's what I think... Probs gonna take a while.

We are fine in nets obviously and at the back I think we are solid, at Left Back with Shorey and Bouma and at Right Back with Luke Young and numerous cover (Nigel, Carlos, Craig) I was dumfounded to see MON's first 2 transfers in Harewood and Knight, 2 players I couldn't stand. They are not footballers and Harewood will go but don't get me wrong Knight is a decent 4th choice Centre Half and I'd rather keep him at the club if he's happy to sit on the bench, than axe him overall. He's a Villa fan anyway ;) But you are spot on with Hangeland, that would be a cracking piece of business. I would love to see Villa fan Lescott at the club too but I don't think we could prize him, not with City in the picture anyway and we wouldn't without. I think we will see a lot more of Carlos at Centre Half next year and so with Hangeland Davies, and then Knight we'll be fine. Should we find that is not enough we can always try and pick out another Centre Half in January.

In midfield I would obviously like to see Delph replace Barry in Central Midfield. I think we have a lot of players playing there that are very right sided (Gardner, Reo-Coker, Sidwell and even Petrov) A left sided Centre Mid adds balance. I think we could also do with bringing in an Attacking Midfielder who can play on the Wing. Or if we have the funds I'd buy both. With Jimmy and Ash we have good Wingers but not much cover. Perhaps a Skeljbred or a McGeady

If we can bring 2 of those players in then we would be more than sorted in Midfield. I suspect we have an issue Up Top Heskey was a great addition in a Target Man. I think we have the option of Gabby's pace alongside that and despite having Owen on my mind I feel we have a goalscorer in John Carew. I'm not a Carew fan, he's a really nice guy and he's decent in the air, but there are not many lazier footballers around and his movement for a forward is atrocious. But if we want the combination I would still keep him, because one way or another he scores goals. What I'd like to see alongside that is a clever player, someone who can drop off and also score goals. I've seen Owen do it, I've seen people like Kevin Doyle do it, Jermain Defoe is the prime example had he not gone back to Spurs. I can't think of other names off the top of my head but someone of that quality whether it comes from England or abroad would serve us well :)

Well there's my view. Hopefully at least 4 signings maybe even 5 and we can push on. It's about consolidating though not always new players. I hope we can push again next year and I'd love more than anything to finish above City!!!

Why not sell Carew? OK he is an incredible player but he's not getting any younger. Sell him and Harewood and get Vagner love. You already have a Carew like target man in Heskey and Vagner love will offer you something a bit different upfront. No doubt that he can be a massive hit in the premier league, he's built for it!

Delfouneso IMO is a MASSIVE talent. I can see him becoming pivotal for Villa if he can carry on developing his undoubted potential. Vagner Love, Delfouneso, Gabby and Heskey would scare the life of out of any defence. He is also well within your means. :eek: :eek:

I completely agree with the Hangeland comments btw. He has been unbelievable for Fulham this season! Delph has the potential too be v.good, but a starter for Aston Villa? It's a bit too much throwing in a 19 yr old at the heart of midfield when he's been playing League 1 football. IMO he'd crack up and get slaughtered at his current level of ability. He'd be a very good signing if developed overtime not a starter straight away! Honestly, by christmas if Michael Johnson is given games and can manage to maintain fitness. He could be signing of the season and a very very good replacement for Barry.

Guest Toggs

My problem lies with the scumbag' date=' traitor and hypocrit that is mr. Gareth Barry.

He stated he wanted to leave Villa for a Champions league team, no correct me if im wrong , are city in the CL ? are they even in Europe ? erm . . . . . . . NO !

He buckled down at Villa last season and said he will stay if we get CL, we came close, and true to his word he wanted to leave, i would not begrudge the man a move to a top four team who could offer CL, but to CITY ??

WHAT ! for no other reason than a beautiful pay packet of £90,000 pound per week.[/quote']

Im not sure. You know al the investment at Manchester City, they could soon be a top4 side in the next 5 years if Barry is planning on a long stay at Eastlands. Although the wages OBVIOUSLY had alot too play, i think id take double the money too play for a club with huge spending power, bringing in top quality players.

If I was in barry's position, I would of held out for a move too Liverpool. He's not poor, so money wouldnt be a problem, but he'd play regularly for a established top4 team, and gaining vital experience. Liverpool would of also paid him hamsomely.

Barry too Manchester City is a confusing one for sure.

Bentley & Huddlestone. Two good, and young players and would show Villa have real ambition too push forward. Would both fit into the Villa squad well, with Bentley playing a Young' role and Huddlestone maybe in the middle with the likes of Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Cocker.

Delph, im not sure. I think he's over-rated from what i've seen from him. Bids from big clubs not materilizing etc... All looks as if Delph is too good too be true for me, and has never impressed me in a match has he. Perfer the likes of Snodgrass at Leeds.

I think a good move though would be definitly for another CM, even if you were too bring Huddlestone in. What do you think of any of these Villa fans?

Niko Kranjcar (Pompey's future as a club uncertain. Croat International)

Scott Brown (SPL POTS. Celtic club in tatters, would he move?)

Adam Johnson (Middlesbrough Down. Very highly rated

Lee Catermole (Good young central midfielder at Wigan.)

They'd be four Central Midfielders, arguably avaliable or avaliable' too talk too and id consider going for any of them.

Guest 1CapWonder

Im not sure. You know al the investment at Manchester City' date=' they could soon be a top4 side in the next 5 years if Barry is planning on a long stay at Eastlands. Although the wages OBVIOUSLY had alot too play, i think id take double the money too play for a club with huge spending power, bringing in top quality players.

If I was in barry's position, I would of held out for a move too Liverpool. He's not poor, so money wouldnt be a problem, but he'd play regularly for a established top4 team, and gaining vital experience. Liverpool would of also paid him hamsomely.

Barry too Manchester City is a confusing one for sure.

Bentley & Huddlestone. Two good, and young players and would show Villa have real ambition too push forward. Would both fit into the Villa squad well, with Bentley playing a Young' role and Huddlestone maybe in the middle with the likes of Sidwell, Petrov, Reo-Cocker.

Delph, im not sure. I think he's over-rated from what i've seen from him. Bids from big clubs not materilizing etc... All looks as if Delph is too good too be true for me, and has never impressed me in a match has he. Perfer the likes of Snodgrass at Leeds.

I think a good move though would be definitly for another CM, even if you were too bring Huddlestone in. What do you think of any of these Villa fans?

[b']Niko Kranjcar (Pompey's future as a club uncertain. Croat International)

Scott Brown (SPL POTS. Celtic club in tatters, would he move?)

Adam Johnson (Middlesbrough Down. Very highly rated

Lee Catermole (Good young central midfielder at Wigan.)[/b]

They'd be four Central Midfielders, arguably avaliable or avaliable' too talk too and id consider going for any of them.

I think Krancjar would fit into what I said before and Scott Brown would be a very good option in midfield. I really, really like Huddlestone I think his right peg is an arrow but I think perhaps we don't want another Deep Lying Midfield Player.

I know Delph could be called this but he's got the engine of a bull and he can pass the ball really well. I don't think you can go as far to say he's overated. I value his commitment to Leeds and that is something that must be respected. Like I said before he offers that Left Sided option in midfield which will give us the balance we need. I have seen a lot of him play and I truly believe he has tremendous ability. Sure, when he was on TV this year it was end of season, burnout and pushed left side. I saw Gabby and Jimmy fade too so it's not as if it's a bad note against his name.

I would love to have someone like him at the football club, Bentley not so much. Ego is too much for me to appreciate. Again Cattermole is a very good player but right sided. He is too much like Nigel and Gardner and Sidwell. We don't need another. Adam Johnson has failed to produce a few times when I've seen him (so possibly how you feel with Delph I feel with him) However he does look a very good prospect and I wouldn't be unhappy to see him here...

As for the sell Carew get Vagner Love that's a bit far fetched....

I said Carew is an option as he can always bag a goal, even if he doesn't start.

Guest Toggs

Opinions appricated 1Cap. I thought Niko Kranjcar was the best mention as he fits into the squad well and any sort of Prem experience before-hand if your foreign, proves for alot.

Marcus Berg is a quality shout, but maybe a tad too far from Villa's price tag, with a massive £12 on him for a striker that hasn't exactly banged them in in the Neds.

I like the look of Simon Rofles for the vacant midfield role. Has been said he wants too leave alot and is seriously under-rated (Ask Teb), both footed German CM. Plays Kranjcar role from what im told and if Leverkusen can't hold onto him after a shocking season, good move for Villa?

As for a striker, i still like Harewood. But feel another needs too be signed. If not Marcus Berg, id be looking at one of Kevin Davies or Carlton Cole. Both in my opinion under-rated and mega cheap. Doubt eihter would cost you anymore than 4M. Would be a return too Villa for Cole though.

Villa have a much better Manager and are more stable / better run as a club (as in you never know what those other chaps in charge of City might do if nothing great happens this season once Hughes is using "his players"

Putting that a side and the fact Villa looked much better this season until the later stages due to lack fo a squad' date=' if Barry really only moved in hope of CL football why move so fast?

Man Citys "targets" and who they will actually end up getting will be 2 totaly different things as most BIG players will not move for the cash alone ala Kaka.

So if Citys summer didn't go fully to plan and Villa strengthed there squad also then imo Villa would still finish above City and have a better chance of finishing in the top 4.

For me Barry moved wayyyyy to fast for it to be a totaly football related decision, he has not seen who is coming and going from City and has just signed anyway.

Another thing I can also see happening, lets say City do manage to break into the top 4 this season, qualify for the CL.. Barry would then be 29 which aint a massive problem however hes hardly a world beater and with City's cash and the amount of "big" names that would all of a sudden be interested in joining them due to a massive wage and CL football, Barry could well find himself either on the bench or sold[/quote']

say tevez joins and despite about stability managers/etc then Man City are better than Villa i think they need a Centre Back and Right Back along with a striker, dare i say it Barry and Laursen have left and will be hard to replace and i heard Ancelotti wants young so if that happens youre best 3 players are left and if so theyd have to rebuild which he doesnt have time for

say tevez joins and despite about stability managers/etc then Man City are better than Villa i think they need a Centre Back and Right Back along with a striker' date=' dare i say it Barry and Laursen have left and will be hard to replace and i heard Ancelotti wants young so if that happens youre best 3 players are left and if so theyd have to rebuild which he doesnt have time for[/quote']

Well I'm going to make a prediction (rare for me :D) and I predict Barry will never play CL football for Man City :) , if City do manage to get into the CL while Barry is still there by then he will be nothing but a bit part player in that CL campaign.

Heard it first from Neller :P

Guest 1CapWonder

Well I'm going to make a prediction (rare for me :D) and I predict Barry will never play CL football for Man City :) ' date=' if City do manage to get into the CL while Barry is still there by then he will be nothing but a bit part player in that CL campaign.

Heard it first from Neller :P[/quote']

That's what we are all praying for (Y)

P.S Toggs: As for Carlton Cole I think he's an absoloute donkey, and although I like Kevin Davies and rate him as a very good, honest footballer, he's another Big Target Man lacking pace or creativity and we already have 2 of them in Carew and Heskey ;)

Why not sell Carew? OK he is an incredible player but he's not getting any younger. Sell him and Harewood and get Vagner love. You already have a Carew like target man in Heskey and Vagner love will offer you something a bit different upfront. No doubt that he can be a massive hit in the premier league' date=' he's built for it!

[/quote']

It would cost a heck of a lot of money for Villa to persuade CSKA to part with Vagner Love, and even then I doubt Vagner Love would be willing to leave a team where he's settled, one of the clubs star players, playing alongside plenty of other Brazilians, to join a club with no counterparts, where he may or may not settle, unless he's getting a much bigger pay rise and/or CL football.

Delph' date=' im not sure. I think he's over-rated from what i've seen from him. Bids from big clubs not materilizing etc... All looks as if Delph is too good too be true for me, and has never impressed me in a match has he. Perfer the likes of Snodgrass at Leeds.

[/quote']

This is the third time you've said this now.

Trust me, from someone who has been watching, listening and reading all season, Delph is the better player, in his right postion. Out wide, Snodgrass has the better of Delph, but when Delph plays in his favourite position, in the centre of the park, he is much more effective.

Bids from big clubs not materializing? How do you know? Newcastle and Man United were knocked back in January. Other clubs have held interest. This happens with all players! There is always clubs lurking, just because they may not make a bid, doesn't mean the player is over-rated.

Delph is one of the best players in League 1, and was the 26th highest voted player in the Football League (so including CCC) for the FL POTY award, winning the FL YPOTY award ahead of the likes of Naughton. I doubt he'd be capable of holding down a place in the EPL, but he definitely is in the CCC and he'd be a useful cover for Villa due to his versatility, should a move materialize.

Too good to be true? How exactly? It's not like he's been pipped to become an England legend or anything, he's just a player with potential. Plenty of those in the FL, the only difference is that Delph is attracting big interest from some of the big 4, getting bids from Man United and looks set for a move to the EPL. How often does that happen? This just shows his potential.

• 2 weeks later...

well . . . .

Good old Curtis davies has come out and said he isnt the man to replace Laursen, and fair play to him, he isnt :) he was a great understudy and it took balls to say that.

Im pretty sure Villa will not sell Ashley young, infact im almost certain. So United and Chelsea can "do one". Thats putting it politely.

We have obviously been linked with Numberous players, Including Barnetta, Jenas, Bentley, Huddlestone, Cheyrou ( who talked down a possible move ), Bruno Alves :eek: ( who apparently according to sky + other wbsites has interest from madrid/Barca ), Zigic, Demidov.

Good news is that Oneil has rubbished talk of villa signing Owen :D ! ( get in ) and Harewood is set to leave Villa ! ( EVEN BETTER NEWS ).

I like the kind of player were being linked with, but at the moment its just linked, i wanna see some activity asap :)

Carew said that he is happy at Villa Park and doesn't want to join City. I think he might have been a good signing for us, but I think we can buy better players.

Didn't one newspaper a while back say you wanted Raul Allbiol from Valencia?

Carew said that he is happy at Villa Park and doesn't want to join City. I think he might have been a good signing for us' date=' but I think we can buy better players.

Didn't one newspaper a while back say you wanted Raul Allbiol from Valencia?[/quote']

Yeah it did, Never gonna happen though is it lol !

Carew would of been a good signing there is better players out there, but that doesnt mean they will be better signings if ya get what i mean :)