Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

That's a huge three points for us considering all the teams around us struggled this weekend.

It'll be worthless though should we go on another big losing streak like we did after the game at Anfield. Tough set of games coming now for different reasons:

Arsenal (A)

Manchester City (H)

Reading (A)

QPR (H)

We have to do well out of the last two games especially in order to give us a fighting chance come the run in.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

He's gonna fight 'em all

A Seven nation army couldn't hold Him back

They're gonna rip it off

Taking their time right behind his back

And he's talking to himself at night

Because he can't forget

Back and forth through his mind

Behind a cigarette

And the message coming from his eyes

Says leave it alone......

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Christian Benteke, Ohhhhhhhhhhhh Christian Benteke!!

Christian-Benteke.jpg

<3

I didn't watch the game yesterday, how did Dawkins do?

Much needed win for you boys. Regarding the post above about Lerner, not particularly stuff you wanna read but from my experience people do these style of posts on all football forums. I've seen it on ours and several other clubs. One way or another there is going to be a miffed off fan or even a rival fan that wants to mess about so I wouldn't read to much into it.

• 2 weeks later...

Mikey Drennan' date=' young Irish forward playing for the youth team is scoring for fun. A 12 minute hat-trick today against Sunderland. Maybe Lambert should give him a chance in the first team.[/quote']

Of the top of my head I think he may be top goal scorer of next gen series

I really really rate Weimann. Love his attitude

• 1 month later...

Havent been active on here at all recently, gutted about the result on the weekend but overall were in decent form. Cannot believe Wigan got a win against Newcastle (then Norwich) can you remember when we had that much luck ? Stone wall red card not given and a handball in the build up to their winner. Unbelievable.

Stoke away next, desperately need to win. Just hope we can get beat both Fulham and Sunderland as that would put us in good stead for the last few games.

Love Guzan and Tekkers so much.

In a interview back in belgium Benteke said he would stay if we stay up and invest in some quality. Would be delighted to have him another season.

Lambert seems confident that both will stay, and suggested Benteke may be offered a new contract too. A reward if you will.

Little old Villa won the Next Gen series today. Beating Chelsea 2-0.

Champions of Europe, has a nice ring to it.

Taken from OS.

Villa have been crowned kings of European youth football after two penalties from Graham Burke sealed a victory over Chelsea in the NextGen Series final.

Burke stepped up to score from the spot twice in the second half as Tony McAndrew's clinched the prestigious U19 tournament.

The boys in claret and blue once again showed incredible resolve, surviving a barrage of Chelsea pressure before coming on strong after the break in this clash at Lake Como's Stadium Giuseppe Sinigaglia..

The lionhearted display - in front of manager Paul Lambert who watched from the stands - capped a magnificent campaign for Villa.

The Young Lions have seen off PSV Eindhoven, Celtic, Ajax, Olympiacos, Sporting Lisbon and now Chelsea.

There was one enforced change to the Villa line-up with Riccardo Calder replacing Jordan Lyden, who picked up a knock in the win over Sporting Lisbon four days ago.

Chelsea drafted in Nathan Ake following his involvement with the first team squad for Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash against Southampton.

Both teams proved in Friday's semi-finals that they are capable of going the distance, pulling off stunning extra-time wins against Sporting and Arsenal respectively.

Although the two sets of players had already endured a hard-fought 120 minutes since arriving in Lake Como, there was little sign of fatigue in a fast-paced start to the final.

Brad Watkins came to Villa's rescue on several occasions in the first period.

With less than a minute on the clock, the goalkeeper was quick off his line to deny Alex Kiwomya after the Chelsea winger found himself through on goal.

Six minutes later, he got down to his right to push away Islam Feruz's angled drive.

Watkins also got the slightest of touches to a close-range Ake effort, enabling Calder to get back and make a goalmouth clearance.

It was Calder who had Villa's best chance of the opening 45 minutes.

He met Jack Grealish's pass on the overlap and struck a low left-foot shot which Chelsea's Mitchell Beeney needed to attempts to hold.

But Villa had to survive a further let-off. The dangerous Boga seized on a loose ball in his own half and his cross-field pass found Kiwomya who fired inches wide across goal.

Having survived a Chelsea onslaught before the break, the claret and blues couldn't have asked for a better start to the second half.

Three minutes after the restart Callum Robinson's mazy run was halted by a foul from Alex Davey and referee Daniele Minelli had no option but to point to the spot.

Just as he did in the semi-final against Sporting, Burke held his nerve to give Villa the lead with a well-struck penalty.

Robinson continued to look menacing as Villa took charge following the deadlock-breaker.

The Northampton-born forward teed up Carruthers for a long-range effort which went well over the bar.

On 69 minutes, Josh Barton came so close to doubling the advantage only for Beeney to make a stunning one-handed save to tip over his curling 20-yard shot.

Villa were given a further boost in the final stages when Kiwomya was sent off for a second bookable offence.

In stoppage time Barton brought down Barton, allowing Burke to hammer home a second penalty with the last kick off the game.

It sparked jubilant celebrations at the final whistle, with victorious captain Samir Carruthers proudly lifting the NextGen Series trophy.

VILLA: Watkins, Webb, Kinsella, Calder, Donacien, Lewis, Barton, Carruthers, Robinson, Burke, Grealish. Subs: Bateman, Grant, Toner, Crooks, Lyden, Abdo, Crowley.

CHELSEA: Beeney, Christiensen, Davey, Pappoe, Wright, Ake, Kiwomya, Loftus-Cheek, Feruz, Baker, Boga. Subs: Musonda, Killip, Swift, Conroy, Dabo, Colkett [for Davey, 75], Hunte [for Feruz, 71].

That Dan Crowley for us is touted as the next Jack Wilshere ( i appreciate the insignificance of players being compared to current players ) and City and Arsenal are sniffing around. Watched a few games he has been in and he has looked great, looks such a tidy little player. Represented England too. 15 or 16 years old i think.

If you get relegated just promote all of these to the first team, and you'll most likely still get promoted straight back up :P

Interestingly, who do you lot think would leave your team if you get relegated, Benteke being a certainty I'd asume? Agbonlahor striker me as a loyal type so would expect him to stay, plus you get the trio of Clark,Bannan and Albrighton who've been with you since youth days.

If you get relegated just promote all of these to the first team' date=' and you'll most likely still get promoted straight back up :P

Interestingly, who do you lot think would leave your team if you get relegated, Benteke being a certainty I'd asume? Agbonlahor striker me as a loyal type so would expect him to stay, plus you get the trio of Clark,Bannan and Albrighton who've been with you since youth days.[/quote']

:P Some of them are pretty damn good and I suspect regardless of what league we will be in next year, some will have a minor part to play for our first team, or will get loaned out.

Benteke for sure, Weimann may do but he loves this club so we have a little hope at keeping him, Bent, Given, Dunne ( contract expires anyway ), Ireland and maybe Nzogbia.

If you get relegated just promote all of these to the first team' date=' and you'll most likely still get promoted straight back up :P

Interestingly, who do you lot think would leave your team if you get relegated, Benteke being a certainty I'd asume? Agbonlahor striker me as a loyal type so would expect him to stay, plus you get the trio of Clark,Bannan and Albrighton who've been with you since youth days.[/quote']

I don't think there are too many at the club who would jump ship. We might have to trim the wages so Vlaar, Dunne and N'Zogbia would be contenders to go. Maybe Given too. A couple of teams could come in for Weimann as well

Personally I'd like to see some of the U19s play in the run in. Our team currently isn't doing the best anyway so you never know

On the basis of the Next-Gen Series Callum Robinson has got to get a shot at the first team at some point.... He reminds me of a young Gabby... Jack Grealish looks a very talented lad as does most of the side... I'd like Guzan to take Watkins and Siegrist under his wing though... Both are very good young keepers and Guzan could help them a lot!

If we go down then I think we should keep Lambert... He's been in the Championship with a young side before and well.... There's no one else I'd rather have and we need continuity! Hope we stay up.... If it comes down to the Wigan game I'll be sat behind the sofa tearing my hair out! xD

On the basis of the Next-Gen Series Callum Robinson has got to get a shot at the first team at some point.... He reminds me of a young Gabby... Jack Grealish looks a very talented lad as does most of the side... I'd like Guzan to take Watkins and Siegrist under his wing though... Both are very good young keepers and Guzan could help them a lot!

If we go down then I think we should keep Lambert... He's been in the Championship with a young side before and well.... There's no one else I'd rather have and we need continuity! Hope we stay up.... If it comes down to the Wigan game I'll be sat behind the sofa tearing my hair out! xD

There are a few that will be knocking soon thats for sure. Guzan loves the villa and top of the that his ability and performances to date make me really like him. He could be a great keeper for us, hopefully hear a long time and helps the younger keepers like you say.

I 100% want to keep him, we went from not trying to win games to trying to play football and win games, you can tell given time regardless of what division were in he will get us playing football.

Mate go to the Wigan game, I reckon Wigan will give a HUGE allocation to us if it does come down to it.

There are a few that will be knocking soon thats for sure. Guzan loves the villa and top of the that his ability and performances to date make me really like him. He could be a great keeper for us' date=' hopefully hear a long time and helps the younger keepers like you say.

I 100% want to keep him, we went from not trying to win games to trying to play football and win games, you can tell given time regardless of what division were in he will get us playing football.

Mate go to the Wigan game, I reckon Wigan will give a HUGE allocation to us if it does come down to it.[/quote']

Indeed with Lambert even if we go down then I think he will get us playing properly and have a good side! I would if I could.... I live quite a while away from Wigan and as of yet I haven't been able to even get in contact with a Supporters group in Lincolnshire :/ I would love to go to the Wigan game... it'd be my first away game and I haven't been since the game we lost 1-0 at home to Wigan ages ago due to work, moving and just never having the time. :( I proper miss it to be honest! :(

I dont get why Lambert gets alot of stick of a small minority. He has undoubtedly made mistakes this year i acknowledge that he has had to deal with a load of issues.

Were off loading players with big wages and ones who are pretty much mercanaries, most of our players had been on indifferent / poor form for the best part of two years, the quality players left and were not sufficently replaced and although we spent 20 million, that was to cover 8 different positions and a large chunk of that went on Benteke who has been a resounding success and we will probably get three times what we paid for him if he leaves this summer.

You dont go from playing awful defensive football to playing good football immediately, especially if you have had to work with some of the issues at Villa recently. I think people wanting him out are bang out of order. That being said, aint to many of them.

I understand mate, you should try and make the effort if its possible. Could be one of the biggest games for Villa during my life time and would be great to witness us stay up ( cant contemplate how bad it would be to see us go down ).

I dont get why Lambert gets alot of stick of a small minority. He has undoubtedly made mistakes this year i acknowledge that he has had to deal with a load of issues.

Were off loading players with big wages and ones who are pretty much mercanaries' date=' most of our players had been on indifferent / poor form for the best part of two years, the quality players left and were not sufficently replaced and although we spent 20 million, that was to cover 8 different positions and a large chunk of that went on Benteke who has been a resounding success and we will probably get three times what we paid for him if he leaves this summer.

You dont go from playing awful defensive football to playing good football immediately, especially if you have had to work with some of the issues at Villa recently. I think people wanting him out are bang out of order. That being said, aint to many of them.

I understand mate, you should try and make the effort if its possible. Could be one of the biggest games for Villa during my life time and would be great to witness us stay up ( cant contemplate how bad it would be to see us go down ).[/quote']

Indeed it's stupid... no wonder we get called fickle -_- Don't get me wrong I hated Mcleish... But I never wished ill of him personally... I got to meet him a few years back when I worked nearer Scotland (When he was Blue's Manager) and he seemed a pretty decent fella! But to me Lambert is a god send... he wants to bloody younger players and buys into Villa 100% from what I've heard him say...

Indeed I want to go and tbh my boss would more than likely give me the day off if I could get there (He's a Boro fan so would understand the importance!) (I would rather go with a supporters club as I don't know where the hell I'd be going!) It could well be that and some.... If we go down then Que Sera Sera.... Villa as a club will always exist I don't care if it's Unibond, League 2, Championship, Premiership or wherever they are still the club I love! But I'd not be very happy if we did go down! :P

Indeed it's stupid... no wonder we get called fickle -_- Don't get me wrong I hated Mcleish... But I never wished ill of him personally... I got to meet him a few years back when I worked nearer Scotland (When he was Blue's Manager) and he seemed a pretty decent fella! But to me Lambert is a god send... he wants to bloody younger players and buys into Villa 100% from what I've heard him say...

Indeed I want to go and tbh my boss would more than likely give me the day off if I could get there (He's a Boro fan so would understand the importance!) (I would rather go with a supporters club as I don't know where the hell I'd be going!) It could well be that and some.... If we go down then Que Sera Sera.... Villa as a club will always exist I don't care if it's Unibond' date=' League 2, Championship, Premiership or wherever they are still the club I love! But I'd not be very happy if we did go down! :P[/quote']

Haha Im not sure I could say I didnt wish him ill personally :P Nah jokes aside I tried, as many did i feel to put their dislike aside for Eck initially. The fact he was from our rivals wasnt particularly the issue it was the fact none of us thought he was good enough and also happened to be from small heath.

I gave him a fair bit of time but our performances, our intent coupled with results, the vibe around the club and his continual blame shifting to anyone but himself made me loath the guy in the end. That being said he could be OK in real life :D

Lambert however gets me excited for the Villa and I love how he has thrown himself into the club. With him at the helm even if we go down I am confident for the future of this club.

Yup, football does exist outside of the prem and I will certainly support them no less than I do now. That includes going to games, the only benefit (Is it a benefit ? or a silver lining ) is that if we do go down ill be able to go to loads of new stadiums and go on some mental away days.

I think ST renewal prices are out soon, will be interesting to if they go down or not.

EDIT: Also our U21 just beat Chelsea 2-1.

Twice in two days, wish our first team could say the same against Chelski :P

Benteke has 18 goals for us now, 24 goals this season including us, Genk and Belgium.

Was Angel the last player who broke the 20 goal mark for us ?

I suspect he will, i bloody hope he does as we will need it!

Target-men.jpg

Target-men-overall-points.jpg

Slightly outdated but interesting nevertheless. Think he has scored a few times since.