Sign in to follow this  
Magic J

Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Benteke's ruptured his Achilles' tendon in training and as a result is going to be out for 6-8 months. Devastating news for him as he would have more than likely been leading the line for Belgium at the World Cup. Not to mention all the games he'll miss for us.

However, this means that he will almost definitely not be leaving us in the summer, which is good news in the long run for us you would have thought. Even if we had got an inflated price for him following (hopefully) strong performances in Brazil, I highly doubt we would've been able to replace him with a player half as good.

Either way, desperately disappointed for him. He'll be gutted to be missing out on the WC

I was at yesterdays game (Palace fan), and I'm sorry to have to say but you put in one of the worst opposition performances I think I've seen this season. Was hard to see where a goal for you may come from and until the 92nd minute where Weimann forced Speroni into a good save, you didn't have any chance of note.

Next 3 games you may be able to get a few points from so looks like you'll survive, fortunate that you almost reached safety before Benteke was ruled out.

I was at yesterdays game (Palace fan)' date=' and I'm sorry to have to say but you put in one of the worst opposition performances I think I've seen this season. Was hard to see where a goal for you may come from and until the 92nd minute where Weimann forced Speroni into a good save, you didn't have any chance of note.

Next 3 games you may be able to get a few points from so looks like you'll survive, fortunate that you almost reached safety before Benteke was ruled out.[/quote']

We've been poor for a while now. We should be ok as there are other teams who will struggle too who have fewer points than us (Norwich are as good as gone IMO and Sunderland will do well to avoid the drop). I'm confident we can avoid the last spot. But that's not good enough for Aston Villa football club. Yesterday was the first time the fans have snapped and vented frustration at Lambert but I'm not convinced he's the be all and end all of our problems. They run right through the club from the chairman to the players in my opinion. That said, I'm starting to lose patience with Lambert too.

We need a top to bottom reform including a change of owner to someone willing to spend, a change of chief executive to someone willing to show vision for progress of the club and a change of manager to someone who can get the passion and belief back into the team. Could use some players too.

Avoiding relegation by four or five points every season is not where a big club like Villa should be. Top half should be seen as minimum.

Culverhouse and Karsa being suspended, any reason as to why yet?

I know Culverhouse has had problems with the club and fans since december but i haven't heard of anything serious enough for a suspension.

Culverhouse and Karsa being suspended' date=' any reason as to why yet?

I know Culverhouse has had problems with the club and fans since december but i haven't heard of anything serious enough for a suspension.[/quote']

Nothing concrete as of yet from the club but there are various theories/reasons being banded around various Villa forums. One claims that both have in fact been sacked and the investigation is to determine whether they can avoid paying them off.

The theory that seems to carry the most weight behind it is that Culverhouse laid into the way the youth team was being managed (by Cowans; who has stepped up to assist Lambert along with Shay Given), and the club backed Cowans over it. That doesn't shed any light on the severity of what he said but you'd have to assume it was pretty bad.

Another theory is that Lerner and Faulkner are trying to undermine Lambert so he'll walk rather than having to sack him and pay him off. Which wouldn't surprise me.

The only thing that is certain (to an extent) is that if Lambert had little involvement in the decision to suspend/sack Culverhouse and Karsa, and has then had Cowans and Given thrust upon him, then his position is under severe scrutiny. Telegraph say Lambert approved of suspensions and his job isn't under threat. It's hard to tell through all this bull coming from our club at the minute.

I'd suggest his days are very much numbered now. This is the last thing both he, and we, needed on too of an awful run of form and a relegation battle.

I haven't mentioned it as I thought it was so far fetched but the people who broke this news first on the forums about two to three hours ago have been saying for a couple of months that a takeover has been agreed and if we stay up the new owners will be in place before July - and they'd bring a new manager in straight away.

We'll see. This is certainly an unwanted twist but if it's needed to sort the mess out that is our club at the minute then it can only be good

Nothing concrete as of yet from the club but there are various theories/reasons being banded around various Villa forums. One claims that both have in fact been sacked and the investigation is to determine whether they can avoid paying them off.

The theory that seems to carry the most weight behind it is that Culverhouse laid into the way the youth team was being managed (by Cowans; who has stepped up to assist Lambert along with Shay Given)' date=' and the club backed Cowans over it. That doesn't shed any light on the severity of what he said but you'd have to assume it was pretty bad.

[/b']

Another theory is that Lerner and Faulkner are trying to undermine Lambert so he'll walk rather than having to sack him and pay him off. Which wouldn't surprise me.

The only thing that is certain (to an extent) is that if Lambert had little involvement in the decision to suspend/sack Culverhouse and Karsa, and has then had Cowans and Given thrust upon him, then his position is under severe scrutiny. Telegraph say Lambert approved of suspensions and his job isn't under threat. It's hard to tell through all this bull coming from our club at the minute.

I'd suggest his days are very much numbered now. This is the last thing both he, and we, needed on too of an awful run of form and a relegation battle.

I haven't mentioned it as I thought it was so far fetched but the people who broke this news first on the forums about two to three hours ago have been saying for a couple of months that a takeover has been agreed and if we stay up the new owners will be in place before July - and they'd bring a new manager in straight away.

We'll see. This is certainly an unwanted twist but if it's needed to sort the mess out that is our club at the minute then it can only be good

I think that is probably the most believable reason, especially as Culverhouse has mouthed off before.

Something about Gabby and Delph not playing against Fulham because of this as well?

I think a take over is what is needed, as long as it's not to another Lerner! I hope you get it all sorted out and return to a state you should be in. Even though your technically a rival team from the west midlands i have always had a soft spot for Villa from the day's when you had Dalian Atkinson and challenged Utd in 92/93.

I think that is probably the most believable reason' date=' especially as Culverhouse has mouthed off before.

Something about Gabby and Delph not playing against Fulham because of this as well?

I think a take over is what is needed, as long as it's not to another Lerner! I hope you get it all sorted out and return to a state you should be in. Even though your technically a rival team from the west midlands i have always had a soft spot for Villa from the day's when you had Dalian Atkinson and challenged Utd in 92/93.[/quote']

Culverhouse lashed out at fans on Boxing Day and was pretty abusive towards them.

Gabby and Delph not playing would run in line with the reports that there was a pretty major training ground bust up last week between the three of them. Supposedly about Culverhouse getting on the back of youth team players helping out with training.

This would also fall into place alongside reports coming out today that Culverhouse attacked the way the youth team was being run.

All in all he's a pretty nasty peice of work. He's always worked with Lambert so if he does go then it seems pretty likely Lambert is too

A lot of major news outlets including the Telegraph, Guardian and Mirror have all run with the Villa takeover deal last night. They all released at about the same time so I was worried that the club might have fabricated something as it's getting towards season ticket renewal time. That and the fans need a lift going into a vital period for us.

However Matt Law, a Villa fan himself who wrote the piece for the Telegraph and who is trusted within the fanbase, has tweeted out that the club has has nothing to do with it and are in fact denying it.

I always believe in 'no smoke without fire'. We'll have to wait and see I guess. But I bloody hope this is true

Any of you guys starting to really worry about going down? I didn't even realise Villa were that far in the scrap.

think you still have City to play as well right? could be very close.

Any of you guys starting to really worry about going down? I didn't even realise Villa were that far in the scrap.

and Spurs....

We stay up thanks to today's win against Hull. Phew. If we got nothing from today then I was resigned to going down.

Now, get the takeover sorted ASAP, get Lambert out, get someone in who will play football and give him the money and players to do it with!

We stay up thanks to today's win against Hull. Phew. If we got nothing from today then I was resigned to going down.

Now' date=' get the takeover sorted ASAP, get Lambert out, get someone in who will play football and give him the money and players to do it with![/quote']

I'm sorry,i don't follow Villa that much but what happen with your trust for Lambert? I assume he's the man who can lead Villa in long term with his vision or does your performance this season just makes you are not convinced anymore with him?

Now' date=' get the takeover sorted ASAP, get Lambert out, get someone in who will play football and give him the money and players to do it with![/quote']

Nice to see both you and Blues stay up today, think you're right in that you need a new manager Lambert's taken you as far as he can IMO.

I'm sorry' date='i don't follow Villa that much but what happen with your trust for Lambert? I assume he's the man who can lead Villa in long term with his vision or does your performance this season just makes you are not convinced anymore with him?[/quote']

Essentially yes. I'm at my wits end with him. Last season I gave him the benefit of the doubt with our flirt with relegation. This season we've regressed even further and it's only because of others ineptness that we've survived.

Over the last few weeks/months he's looked clueless. He hasn't been helped by the owner and CEO though. It's my opinion that all three need to go.

Word is a takeover is imminent that basically hung on us staying up. Now we're staying up, hopefully it'll go through.

I'm sorry' date='i don't follow Villa that much but what happen with your trust for Lambert? I assume he's the man who can lead Villa in long term with his vision or does your performance this season just makes you are not convinced anymore with him?[/quote']
Essentially yes. I'm at my wits end with him. Last season I gave him the benefit of the doubt with our flirt with relegation. This season we've regressed even further and it's only because of others ineptness that we've survived.

Over the last few weeks/months he's looked clueless. He hasn't been helped by the owner and CEO though. It's my opinion that all three need to go.

Word is a takeover is imminent that basically hung on us staying up. Now we're staying up' date=' hopefully it'll go through.[/quote']

His tactics are rather frustrating. With Benteke it was 9/10 long balls forward.

Our best pass combo is usually Guzan to Benteke heh.

Without Benteke its worse.

He did finally show a glimpse of his tactical ability in the Hull match though. Seemed like a pretty flexible 5-3-2 with Weimann and Gabby up front. And a bold decision to play Albrighton in a central position (with the freedom to roam a bit).

That paid off pretty well I must admit. But blefore Hull that tactical flexibility was missing. Though one school of thought is that our players aren't that tactically versatile.

A takeover would be good. Even Lambert has stated we need investment (from Lerner or otherwise) if the club is to move forward.

Or at least a change in management with board members who have some football knowledge.

Or change an manager. Though if we sack Lambert, would any good manager join us? :confused:

Rawket,

Apparently this Sunday Lerner is to provide more information about what's going to happen this off season. If a takeover is imminent (I hope - might see some investment that way) then I can see Lambert's post being on dodgy ground for any amount of reasons. If the position became available and money with it, then we are an attractive proposition for a manager. As for who, I'm not sure. But we should have some pull. We have the infrastructure, stadium, training facilities, fan base. We just need some money to invest into the team. Hopefully Lerner will provide that, if not then a takeover should do.

I don't think it's a smart move at all' date=' towards the end of his time at Fulham he looked poor at this level and I think you need a lot better given your problems at the back.[/quote']

The way I see it he'll provide good cover for Okore and Vlaar next season, adding to squad depth so injuries doesn't have the same effect as it did this season. I'm hoping Senderos' premiership experience alone will make him better cover for the starting CB's than Clark and Baker.. but I hope he'll be sitting on the bench the majority of the time

Don't like Senderos coming here at all. Best case scenario is he never plays. He's proven he's not good enough anymore' date=' like SJ says.[/quote']

If that is a sign of things to come I think we can safely say it is going to be a long, hard season ahead :o

If that is a sign of things to come I think we can safely say it is going to be a long' date=' hard season ahead :o[/quote']

Well that was obvious anyway. This doesn't change it though whic is annoying. Sooner the investment comes the better