Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

So happy to find this thread :D

I think we've done fairly well in this window.We had been paying attention to signing youth which really hasn't paid off maybe cause of not signing the right players (I think okore is an expection)Signing experience this window isn't such a bad idea and with Roy in,I think we'll be safe this season.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

So happy to find this thread :D

I think we've done fairly well in this window.We had been paying attention to signing youth which really hasn't paid off maybe cause of not signing the right players (I think okore is an expection)Signing experience this window isn't such a bad idea and with Roy in' date='I think we'll be safe this season.[/quote']

Welcome pal.

We've been understated to say the least, can't say I'm overly impressed with the likes of Senderos coming in, but then I've been very impressed with how we've been playing, particularly defending. And Senderos and Cissokho have been integral to that. The reemergence of Alan Hutton really caught me by surprise too. Don't really know where that's come from but he's impressed. Keeping hold of Vlaar is our best bit of business though, and with Christian to come back, we should be ok.

Get the club sale sorted and then we can push on from there and put the last few years to bed.

Welcome pal.

We've been understated to say the least' date=' can't say I'm overly impressed with the likes of Senderos coming in, but then I've been very impressed with how we've been playing, particularly defending. And Senderos and Cissokho have been integral to that. The reemergence of Alan Hutton really caught me by surprise too. Don't really know where that's come from but he's impressed. Keeping hold of Vlaar is our best bit of business though, and with Christian to come back, we should be ok.

Get the club sale sorted and then we can push on from there and put the last few years to bed.[/quote']

Thanks mate.

I understand why you are saying this as the signings we have made look horrendous on paper but yeah as you said we have been playing really well.Senderos probably arrived because of a good Worldcup. Haven't got a clue about hutton myself, I just hope this isn't temporary. I totally agree about Vlaar here,Had we lost him this window,my confidence of staying up would have been shattered.Benteke's return is actually exciting, when do you expect him to be back though?

whom of the two do you see departing Kozak or Bent,Lambert seems to like Bent.

Thanks mate.

I understand why you are saying this as the signings we have made look horrendous on paper but yeah as you said we have been playing really well.Senderos probably arrived because of a good Worldcup. Haven't got a clue about hutton myself' date=' I just hope this isn't temporary. I totally agree about Vlaar here,Had we lost him this window,my confidence of staying up would have been shattered.Benteke's return is actually exciting, when do you expect him to be back though?

whom of the two do you see departing Kozak or Bent,Lambert seems to like Bent.[/quote']

The sooner Bent's wages are off the bill, the better in my eyes.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You'd hope that if we're recalling him' date=' we're going to use him[/quote']

I really hope so. He's been great for us, and if him scoring the winner away to the league leaders is to be his last contribution then it's the best send off he could give.

One of our younger players (Alan Browne) tweeted about himself, Brownhill and Robinson going for "the last supper", which could indicate that the rumours are true :(

Edit: Darren Bent is supposedly off on loan to Brighton, which is why you're recalling him.

Don't really care how we win at the moment, we just need some points on the board. I wasn't too worried whilst we were losing to Chelsea, Arsenal etc but we cannot afford to be dropping points to the likes of Palace and Leicester.

Didn't watch the game but apparently Benteke's goal was incredible and Guzan played a blinder. We need to get through January with those two and Delph still at the club otherwise we're in trouble. Delph situation needs to be sorted ASAP seeing as his contracts up in June :eek:

Nice of you to swing by Magic, it's been a while

As has been said' date=' great goal and then backs to the wall for the second half. Defenders and Guzan coped admirably with what Palace threw at them. Okore is very, very decent.[/quote']

Okore had the potential to be proper top level before his unlucky injury and its good to see he has returned with a bit of confidence.

Just saw the goal, lovely - the Benteke we all hope to see for the rest of the season.

• 1 month later...

Carles Gil signs from Valencia - nice!

Some much needed flair is added to the team. But I still think they need to add another 1 or 2. Perhaps Scott Sinclair on loan.

Would also be interesting to know when Libor Kozak will be back, he was hitting a bit of form before he got injured if I'm not mistaken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best news possible.

Not just for the club' date=' players & fans, but for me too - got hospitality for the Stoke game - may actually see a decent game now :).[/quote']

A decent game? Between a team that can't score and a rugby team that just boots the ball up top.

Not a chance :P

Thank heavens lambert has gone.

My thoughts exactly. We need a swift appoitment but more importantly the right one. Personally I don't want Sherwood or Warnock. I'd love Laudraup to come in but would be happy with Hoddle. I've always wondered why someone with his footballing brain isn't (or wasn't) in work.

We simply cannot get relegated with this new tv deal. Staying up is worth too much now

Funny thing is many Villa fans thought getting Lambert was fantastic' date='I agreed,but I think there are other problems at Villa.You need to spend some money to survive in the league.[/quote']

They have spent money, not loads but a sufficient amount to be better off than they are now....

People in the media etc who say they have not had anything is incorrect.

Plus no matter what amount of money has been spent nothing can excuse the dire football on display.

Yeh, Villa have had plenty of money to spend but they've just wasted it. They've spent more than enough money under Lambert to be a successful side, and certainly enough to have an ounce of creativity in their team.

(Roughly numbers, largely based on estimates given for undisclosed fees)

Net spend

2012/13 - £20 million

2013/14 - £16 million

2014/15 - £10 million

They've wasted the money though on the likes of

Libor Kozak - £6 million, always injured

Aleksandr Tonev - £2.5 million, not even near Premier League standard

Nicklas Helenius - £2 million, barely played

Joe Bennett - £2.5 million, not Premier League standard.

Jordan Bowery - Approaching £1 million, League 1 at best.

Yacouba Sylla - £2 million, not Premier League standard.

Kozak aside, that's a lot of money to be spending on players who aren't good enough for this level. The money has been there, spent wisely that sort of money can bring in players good enough to play at this level but it was spent on weakening the side and making the side unwatchable.

In terms of a net spend over his reign, your looking at £45-50 million. There's not anywhere near that sort of value in his current squad, with the only player of real value being Christian Benteke. Given that he's brought in players young, you'd expect their value to grow but it's been far from the case. So few of his signings have actually lived up to, or looked like living up to their potential.

There's clubs at this level who are doing very well with net spends nowhere near that level in that time period, look at Southampton, Swansea, Newcastle, Stoke & Crystal Palace. Lambert needed to bring in players with a sell on value to allow him to reinvest money in to the club, he only brought in the one in Benteke over three years and as a result was never going to be given more money.