Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Magic J

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Funny thing is many Villa fans thought getting Lambert was fantastic' date='I agreed,but I think there are other problems at Villa.You need to spend some money to survive in the league.[/quote']

I don't think it takes Sherlock Holmes to work out that there are other problems at Villa.

It is interesting what has come out of the club recently from those high up in the hierarchy suggesting that Lambert was talking rubbish about having no money and that he had lost the dressing room. No idea if there's any truth behind it but I'm a firm believer of no smoke without fire.

I was pleased with the appointment of Lambert and it's only very recently I've become very frustrated in him and the fact that he wasn't sacked sooner. I thought about Christmas was the right time. The thing that annoyed me with him was I never got the impression that he thought there was anything wrong. He showed little to no passion, no acknowledgement that we were (are!) in a dire position and offered no solution apart from 'It will get better' or 'We are playing better' (allow for some paraphrasing).

The last few years we have flirted with relegation but I've always thought there are four or five teams that were worse than us. Now; I'm not sure I can say that. Maybe Leicester. And West Brom at the start of the season. Currently we are in massive danger of going down and I'm not sure Lerner has the fight in him to bring us straight back up a la Newcastle. We have a great youth system and that is what I'm hoping will drag us back up should we go down, but right now we need someone to come on and do a six month job of keeping us up.

HARRY?!?! i'm joking please god not Harry Redknapp

I don't think it takes Sherlock Holmes to work out that there are other problems at Villa.

It is interesting what has come out of the club recently from those high up in the hierarchy suggesting that Lambert was talking rubbish about having no money and that he had lost the dressing room. No idea if there's any truth behind it but I'm a firm believer of no smoke without fire.

I was pleased with the appointment of Lambert and it's only very recently I've become very frustrated in him and the fact that he wasn't sacked sooner. I thought about Christmas was the right time. The thing that annoyed me with him was I never got the impression that he thought there was anything wrong. He showed little to no passion' date=' no acknowledgement that we were (are!) in a dire position and offered no solution apart from 'It will get better' or 'We are playing better' (allow for some paraphrasing).

The last few years we have flirted with relegation but I've always thought there are four or five teams that were worse than us. Now; I'm not sure I can say that. Maybe Leicester. And West Brom at the start of the season. Currently we are in massive danger of going down and I'm not sure Lerner has the fight in him to bring us straight back up a la Newcastle. We have a great youth system and that is what I'm hoping will drag us back up should we go down, but right now we need someone to come on and do a six month job of keeping us up.

HARRY?!?! i'm joking please god not Harry Redknapp

Ha,was just gonna say that,problem is the squad is poor and could easily go down with any manager,Villa have to hope to stay up and get a manager in weho can't spend a little money at least.Would hate to see Villa go down

Ha' date='was just gonna say that,problem is the squad is poor and could easily go down with any manager,Villa have to hope to stay up and get a manager in weho can't spend a little money at least.Would hate to see Villa go down[/quote']

I say it all the time and people probably get sick of hearing it from me but Villa is a massive footballing institution in this country and the Premier League would be worse off without us in it - all joking aside about the state of our current play

I say it all the time and people probably get sick of hearing it from me but Villa is a massive footballing institution in this country and the Premier League would be worse off without us in it - all joking aside about the state of our current play

Cannot see a decent manager come in unless they are promised some money.Otherwise if you lose Delph and Vlaar you could be in trouble.

Cannot see a decent manager come in unless they are promised some money.Otherwise if you lose Delph and Vlaar you could be in trouble.

Well we can basically demand any fee we want for Delphi seeing as he's just signed a new 4.5 year deal. Vlaar is still an ongoing situation but given how he's been linked with clubs within England, I'm not worried about him signing a pre contract as players can't within the same country. So we have 6 months to sort that out.

As for the manager, I don't really care who it is if they come in for four months, keep us up and do one.

You are a massive club, without a doubt but I'm not so sure the Premier League would be worse off if you were to leave.

I'd much rather see a side like Bournemouth in this division then yourselves, it'd be more entertaining. The Premier League is incredibly dull and Aston Villa are a part of that problem.

Yeh' date=' Villa have had plenty of money to spend but they've just wasted it. They've spent more than enough money under Lambert to be a successful side, and certainly enough to have an ounce of creativity in their team.

(Roughly numbers, largely based on estimates given for undisclosed fees)

Net spend

2012/13 - £20 million

2013/14 - £16 million

2014/15 - £10 million

They've wasted the money though on the likes of

Libor Kozak - £6 million, always injured

Aleksandr Tonev - £2.5 million, not even near Premier League standard

Nicklas Helenius - £2 million, barely played

Joe Bennett - £2.5 million, not Premier League standard.

Jordan Bowery - Approaching £1 million, League 1 at best.

Yacouba Sylla - £2 million, not Premier League standard.

Kozak aside, that's a lot of money to be spending on players who aren't good enough for this level. The money has been there, spent wisely that sort of money can bring in players good enough to play at this level but it was spent on weakening the side and making the side unwatchable.

In terms of a net spend over his reign, your looking at £45-50 million. There's not anywhere near that sort of value in his current squad, with the only player of real value being Christian Benteke. Given that he's brought in players young, you'd expect their value to grow but it's been far from the case. So few of his signings have actually lived up to, or looked like living up to their potential.

There's clubs at this level who are doing very well with net spends nowhere near that level in that time period, look at Southampton, Swansea, Newcastle, Stoke & Crystal Palace. Lambert needed to bring in players with a sell on value to allow him to reinvest money in to the club, he only brought in the one in Benteke over three years and as a result was never going to be given more money.[/quote']

A lot of those transfers were around 2 or 3 mill,I don't think you can buy too many prem class players for those prices these days..

Villa have appointed Tim Sherwood? Not sure about him guys..

You are a massive club' date=' without a doubt but I'm not so sure the Premier League would be worse off if you were to leave.

I'd much rather see a side like Bournemouth in this division then yourselves, it'd be more entertaining. The Premier League is incredibly dull and Aston Villa are a part of that problem.[/quote']

Like I said, putting aside our current play we would be a huge loss for the Premier League and it's global audience. There's not really any doubt about that.

Not happy about Sherwood coming in. We're simply not in a position to be taking risks on managers without any credible or meaningful managerial experience.

I hope he proves me wrong.

First off, Delighted Lambert has been sacked (Sorry for the over enthusiastic post the other night Stu, cheers for editing ;))

I wanted Lambert when we appointed him, I was actually delighted with the appointment. I respect what he was trying to do, I respect him for trying and working under some restraints but the last 12 months has been woeful and I only wish he left or the board acted sooner.

Its just not to be, him being here was poisionous for ourselves and his own career. There is a good manager in there, you dont do all the things he did then turn into a poor manager. He looked beaten and so did we.

Sherwood isnt my first choice, i find him arrogant and lacking in managerial experience. A big gamble. Non the less i think he is a motivator, will kick a few peoples rear ends and by god they need it. Lambert was clueless toward the end but the players have been nothing short of shambolic and truly embarassing.

Funny thing is many Villa fans thought getting Lambert was fantastic' date='I agreed,but I think there are other problems at Villa.You need to spend some money to survive in the league.[/quote']

Loads of problems, Randy Lerner making more than a few very naive football and business decisions coupled with an extreme purge of finances.

They have spent money' date=' not loads but a sufficient amount to be better off than they are now....

People in the media etc who say they have not had anything is incorrect.

Plus no matter what amount of money has been spent nothing can excuse the dire football on display.[/quote']

Weve spent money, but on a high number of players rather than adding quality to the squad. Weve lost so much quality in the last 5 years and lost millions on players who we bought in but then left for free or a tiny fee.

Youre telling me chap, my eyes bleed every time i watched us.

You are a massive club' date=' without a doubt but I'm not so sure the Premier League would be worse off if you were to leave.

I'd much rather see a side like Bournemouth in this division then yourselves, it'd be more entertaining. The Premier League is incredibly dull and Aston Villa are a part of that problem.[/quote']

RE Transfers, We've been heavily restricted on wages and Lambert was almost forced to take this unearthing gems from abroad approach without having enough cash to spend 5-6 million on a player so the gambles were always going to be huge.

We spent money with a high volume of player turn over. Our fee per players must be pretty woeful. Our squad reflects the level of investment (not catering for more than a few poor calls of judgement from lambert).

Kozak by the way isnt always injured, he has had one, 1 year long injury.

EDIT: I cant see things changing to much unless Randy Lerner sells up or decides to restrict the purse string in terms of wage budget and transfer kitty.

Also looking forward to Tom fox and our new Commercial officer driving revenue up which Faulkner and Lerner havent excelled (TV deals aside)

A lot of those transfers were around 2 or 3 mill' date='I don't think you can buy too many prem class players for those prices these days..

Villa have appointed Tim Sherwood? Not sure about him guys..[/quote']

You clearly can, and you have to bare in mind that sort of money was a lot more valuable in his first season when he was spending it on the likes of Bennett & Sylla.

2012/13

Robert Snodgrass

Nathanial Clyne

Maya Yoshida

Steven Davis

Michu

Mo Diame

John Stones

Yoan Gouffran

Lewis Holtby

Jack Butland

2013/14

Ahmed Elmohamady

Peter Odemwingie

Jordi Amat

Arouna Kone

Curtis Davies

Nathan Redmond

Marko Arnautovic

Adrian

Joe Ledley

Jason Puncheon

2014/15

Martin Kelly

Mo Diame

Michael Dawson

Andrew Robertson

Ayoze Perez

Phil Bardsley

Steve Sidwell

Bojan

Lukasz Fabianski

Jack Cork

Joleon Lescott

Aaron Cresswell

Diafra Sakho

You clearly can' date=' and you have to bare in mind that sort of money was a lot more valuable in his first season when he was spending it on the likes of Bennett & Sylla.

2012/13

Robert Snodgrass

Nathanial Clyne

Maya Yoshida

Steven Davis

Michu

Mo Diame

John Stones

Yoan Gouffran

Lewis Holtby

Jack Butland

2013/14

Ahmed Elmohamady

Peter Odemwingie

Jordi Amat

Arouna Kone

Curtis Davies

Nathan Redmond

Marko Arnautovic

Adrian

Joe Ledley

Jason Puncheon

2014/15

Martin Kelly

Mo Diame

Michael Dawson

Andrew Robertson

Ayoze Perez

Phil Bardsley

Steve Sidwell

Bojan

Lukasz Fabianski

Jack Cork

Joleon Lescott

Aaron Cresswell

Diafra Sakho[/quote']

Mate you can rule 75% of them out due to wages and they would have more than likely chosen there current club anyway. We were linked heavily with several of them too.

That list is so ridiculous

This isnt FM or SM.

Mate you can rule 75% of them out due to wages and they would have more than likely chosen there current club anyway. We were linked heavily with several of them too.

This isnt FM or SM.

What is the wage structure like at Villa then these days?

I think our highest earner is Crouch, believe it or not, on £40,000. Our signings listed by Jack won't be on any more than that.

What is the wage structure like at Villa then these days?

I think our highest earner is Crouch' date=' believe it or not, on £40,000. Our signings listed by Jack won't be on any more than that.[/quote']

It was a free for all initially, Beye was even on 40k a week :eek:

I think our two top earners are Benteke and Delph, both around 50k which is fine. I dont think we would be offering more than 35-40k to anyone else and i mean good buys here, the ,majority of our signings have been much lower than that

I would have presumed Arnautovic & Bojan would be on a decent whack to be honest!

This isnt FM or SM.

There's a few in there that would possibly be on excessive wages (Holtby, Dawson, Lescott, Mo Diame this season), but 75% of them? No chance. Your going to be paying similar sorts of wages on the players you've bought instead, and whilst several of them now might be on excessive wages they wouldn't have been on those wages at the time of their signing.

As for FM or SM, I'm not sure what your talking about. This is a list of players to prove that you can get Premier League quality players in for £2-3 million or less, obviously realistically you can't sign many of them but this is just to prove a point.

There's a few in there that would possibly be on excessive wages (Holtby' date=' Dawson, Lescott, Mo Diame this season), but 75% of them? No chance. Your going to be paying similar sorts of wages on the players you've bought instead, and whilst several of them now might be on excessive wages they wouldn't have been on those wages at the time of their signing.

As for FM or SM, I'm not sure what your talking about. This is a list of players to prove that you can get Premier League quality players in for £2-3 million or less, obviously realistically you can't sign many of them but this is just to prove a point.[/quote']

No Jack, the vast majority of the players bought in by Lambert have been on very small wages. We could afford one or two of them no doubt, but theres been as mentioned a high turn over of players with a unwivering focus on wage reduction. We simply wouldnt and didnt sign a load of players on 35+ k wages.

Individually we could afford a few of them, but as a collective we couldnt afford them. If you believe the 75% of those guys are on similar wages to Sylla, Westwood, Tonev, Bennet, Lowton, Bowery, Luna, Okore, helenius and the rest you are very, very misinformed.

No Jack' date=' the vast majority of the players bought in by Lambert have been on very small wages. We could afford one or two of them no doubt, but theres been as mentioned a high turn over of players with a unwivering focus on wage reduction. We simply wouldnt and didnt sign a load of players on 35+ k wages.

Individually we could afford a few of them, but as a collective we couldnt afford them. If you believe the 75% of those guys are on similar wages to Sylla, Westwood, Tonev, Bennet, Lowton, Bowery, Luna, Okore, helenius and the rest you are very, very misinformed.[/quote']

If you believe the majority of these were on £35,000 a week when they signed for their clubs, then your misinformed.

In 12/13, the likes of Clyne would have been on similar money to Bennett. They both came from similar sized clubs in the Championship to clubs in the Premier League for similar fees.

I'd be surprised if any of the likes of Adrian, Amat, Kelly, Davis, Butland, Redmond & Robertson were on close to £15,000 a week.

Again, I've never said you should be signing all of these players, or even any more than one or two. I just used the players in question to illustrate the point that you can buy Premier League quality players for £2-3 million. Even if you were to sign say three players on that list, that is significantly better than what Lambert did in terms of transfers with him only making a handful of good signings in six transfers windows.

Don't you think you couldn't do substantially better with the money you spent on players for roughly £2 million, that all were no where near good enough for this level.

If you believe the majority of these were on £35' date='000 a week when they signed for their clubs, then your misinformed.

In 12/13, the likes of Clyne would have been on similar money to Bennett. They both came from similar sized clubs in the Championship to clubs in the Premier League for similar fees.

I'd be surprised if any of the likes of Adrian, Amat, Kelly, Davis, Butland, Redmond & Robertson were on close to £15,000 a week.

Again, I've never said you should be signing all of these players, or even any more than one or two. I just used the players in question to illustrate the point that you can buy Premier League quality players for £2-3 million. Even if you were to sign say three players on that list, that is significantly better than what Lambert did in terms of transfers with him only making a handful of good signings in six transfers windows.

Don't you think you couldn't do substantially better with the money you spent on players for roughly £2 million, that all were no where near good enough for this level.[/quote']

Hence why i said 75% of them, and i dont believe all of them are on 35k I just feel as a collective they would cost more. By the way, by no means am i defending Lamberts record, he was held back to an extent I am just saying its very easy and not realistic to produce a long list of players you did the.

I think alot of the players we bought will be on lower wages than the vast majority of the prem. All guess work though.

Nope I dont think we did good enough, the remit was to bring in cheaper young players who would grow in talent and ultimately offer far more in monetary return when we sell them. I think thats why alot of those guys on that list were also over looked, because of their sell on value. We failed quite miserably on that account though, bar Okore & Benteke.

By the way, Carlos Gil looks Excellent.

Like I said' date=' putting aside our current play we would be a huge loss for the Premier League and it's global audience. There's not really any doubt about that.

[b']Not happy about Sherwood coming in. We're simply not in a position to be taking risks on managers without any credible or meaningful managerial experience. [/b]

I hope he proves me wrong.

Would you have been happier with Steve Staunton?

Any experienced manager would have wanted money to spend and improve. Couldn't really envisage which 'experienced' manager would have been willing to come in and work with peanuts.

Any experienced manager would have wanted money to spend and improve. Couldn't really envisage which 'experienced' manager would have been willing to come in and work with peanuts.

I suspect spending will increase if we stay up.

I think it absolutely has too. Villa on paper look no better than at least 10 championship sides which is a major worry for next season if you go down.

Just glad we are losing Cleverley on a free transfer in the summer as we couldn't mug you lot off giving us 7m for him in Jan:p

I think it absolutely has too. Villa on paper look no better than at least 10 championship sides which is a major worry for next season if you go down.

Just glad we are losing Cleverley on a free transfer in the summer as we couldn't mug you lot off giving us 7m for him in Jan:p

I think our squad is poor but is capable of far far more than what we are currently playing.

I doubt cleverly will be offered a contract. I would cry in fairness. I was happy to give him a shot but he has played virtually every game and been woeful.

Half the problem is that there aren't many managers out there but I maintain Sherwood is too inexperienced to guide us through a relegation scrap. Like I said before I will eat my words if he manages it. After that we should be ok because:

There is however still the sale of the club hanging over us. However staying up will help that too.

The bottom line is we simply have to stay up by hook or by crook.