Sign in to follow this  
Magic J

Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

looks like im gonna have to eat my words' date=' Barry has told oneil he wants to go to liverpool. sad sad day for Villa. Hope he wrecks his career if he leaves !! im gutted ! :([/quote']

It's a great move for Barry if he does move,

He needs CL football imo.... only way he can improve... Unless he stays with Villa this season and helps them to win the Carling Cup or something which will put them in Europe:o

I think a move to Liverpool would be brilliant for England... As two potential midfield partners will play alongside each other and will get to know about each other's playing style etc.. Hopefully a good partnership can be formed :)

It would be a good move for him and England if he goes to Liverpool!:D

Him and Gerrard in the centre

yeah sparky cus im sure Mascherano' date=' Xabi Alonso and Leiva would be delighted with that, not to mention rafas rotation policy i can almost guarentee this will not further his international career[/quote']

Oh well, Rafa can use 3 central midfielders.... Masch and Barry, with Gerrard as attacking mid and Torres up strike.

4-5-1 like Holland last night:o

I don't see why he cannot become a first team regular... I know he has the ability..

Or maybe he should come to United:o :rolleyes:

I would much prefer him to go to United. Because if he played well he would keep down a place because ferguson is a rotating idiot.

Barry has the ability to become a first team player but after spending big on Mascherano i dont know if they would not play him to much, and on top of that alonso and the others.

Im gutted, For me he should of gave it one more season at least

Got this article from http://www.caughtoffside.com/tags/premier-league/aston-villa

Aston Villa captain confirms he wants to join Liverpool

June 10, 2008

It was a case of when, rather than if for Aston Villa and their crushing blow has now arrived, with Gareth Barry’s agent confirming that the midfielder wants to sign for Liverpool and experience the delight of finishing fourth in the Premier League rather than sixth.

The Sun reports that the opportunity of playing Champions League football was too good to miss for the England international, who has been reasonably loyal to the Villans throughout his career to date.

Barry’s agent Alex Black said: “Gareth has spoken to Martin since he returned from England’s game in Trinidad and told him how he feels.

“At this stage of his career Gareth wants to be playing Champions League football and believes this is his chance to do it.”

While Aston Villa fans will almost certainly give the player a warm welcome when he returns to Villa Park next season, Reds fans seem a little lukewarm on this player, especially with Gerrard, Mascherano and Alonso already on the books at Anfield. Whether the latter has a future with Liverpool is now unclear, especially as the club needing to balance the books, in order to sign players such as Barry.

Barry is believed to move to Liverpool end of this week, after Alonso seals a 14 million pound move to Juventus.

Villa should be bringing in Sidwell who is taking a fat and justified pay cut from 60 k to 30 me thinks. Was linked with him before Barry was laving so is purely rotation i bleieve,

Villa have always been linked with Bentley but apparently today Villa were the first club to make a bid, how true i dont know.

IS viable as he fits Oneils criteria for players.

Im mainly concerned at goal keeper selection, would like that wrapped up soon.

Chimbonda is apparently on his way, if he reaches the form that he had for wigan ill be happy :)

Well Barry still aint moved, and villa are yet to buy anyone.

MON has said that villa fans need to patient as the players we are after are key players for there clubs, in that case i hope to god the rumour linking us to Anton ferdinand are a lie then. The injury prone, not even that good defender has been linked with a 6 & 10 million move to villa park depending on what paper you read ;) !

Apparently we are still in the running for Bentley however it is rumoured he would prefer a move back to the capital, making tottenham the prime destination.

Not to many other players being linked on a regular basis.

Cata Diaz is beig linked with a move to villa, apparently there are a few interested prem clubs. 6 million is the believed asking price.

Heres a little piece on barry, basically the papers making up lies, saying we didnt wanna keep Barry :rolleyes:

"My chairman and I were surprised with the comments attributed to Gareth Barry in his exclusive interview with a national newspaper today.

"Contrary to what was reported, we desperately wanted to keep Gareth at Villa Park and he knows that.

"We asked both Gareth and his agent to consider what had been discussed at our meeting which included a variety of options to incentivise the player.

"But Gareth came back from England international duty in June and reiterated his intention to join Liverpool and he told me so.

"But Liverpool's valuation of Gareth has been consistently well short of our own and at the moment remains so.

"We have made our position clear in respect of Liverpool's interest in the captain of our club but if Liverpool meet our valuation then Gareth Barry will get his express wish to leave Villa Park."

Well another day and yet again no Signing for Villa, even though, realistically we need 8-10 players, obviously not all starting 11 but we need that much investment.

My main concern is a goal keeper, another link today is with West Hams GK Robert Green, imo would be a good signing, but if prefer someone younger.

Im all for clubs signing English players but i feel, ( if rumours are believed to be true ) that its actually inhibiting Villa, the pool of players we seem to be looking at is smaller, and more expensive for less skilled players, we have been linked stupidly with a 10 mil move for ferdinand of west ham :mad: i mean come on ! i doubt its true, and if we are, we WILL not pay that.

I just feel with other teams buying great players from abroad we need to be doing the same thing.

Barry was fined today and banned from pre season training after his outburst which saw him criticise MON. eejit, its going down ronaldos way of getting a transfer.

1) Declare you interest in a dream move

2) Moan like a baby

3) say how good it would be to move.

Barry is acting so out of order and is walking a tight rope in regards to his reputation amongst villa fans.

So over the last week Sidwell has been brought in and we have also, as far as im aware agreed a fee with Chivas for Guzan. Im happy with that signing as i think he has the potential to be a good keeper, heis young and looks talented, and were not paying over the odds for him.

Oneil has come out and said SIDWELL IS NOT ! a replacement for barry, apparently he has been tracking him for two years but lost out to chelsea, and this year is the first time he could realistically bring him in.

Im still concerned about our squad, we need to buy a starting right back, a starting Centre back, a starting winger and a New CM to replace Barry, and a Striker. Those are the very minimum of positions we need to fill

Curtis Davies could be a big player for Villa next season. Provided he can stay injury free. Hes a defender with massive potential, was included in Fabio Capello's first provisional England squad and has a bright future IMO.

As im a midland lad, and have a fair few baggy supporters as mates, when villa got him on loan with a view to a permanent deal i was happy. However i never thought that highly of him personally, and he didnt do to much to change my mind when he was at villa. His first few games were awful, awful at best. Once we sold Cahill and had a few injury problems he started to play, and credit where credit is due, he played well and looked a good player with potential.

But we paid a whopping 10 million for this lad, and to be honest i will always cast a weary eye at him now unless he meets this valuation, and its gonna be pretty hard for him to do something like that.

I can however see him playing a fair bit next year, but he isnt gonna come straight in and replace Melberg, a man with international and premiership experience. We do need a new CB, one who is older than Davies, younger than Laursen ( long term replacement for him maybe ) but is proven in comparison to davies.

Even though we have signed two players im getting pretty worried, although we are consistenly being linked with Bentley, SWP, two players which i would love to see at Villa, either one would do :D

As im a midland lad' date=' and have a fair few baggy supporters as mates, when villa got him on loan with a view to a permanent deal i was happy. However i never thought that highly of him personally, and he didnt do to much to change my mind when he was at villa. His first few games were awful, awful at best. Once we sold Cahill and had a few injury problems he started to play, and credit where credit is due, he played well and looked a good player with potential.

But we paid a whopping 10 million for this lad, and to be honest i will always cast a weary eye at him now unless he meets this valuation, and its gonna be pretty hard for him to do something like that.

I can however see him playing a fair bit next year, but he isnt gonna come straight in and replace Melberg, a man with international and premiership experience. We do need a new CB, one who is older than Davies, younger than Laursen ( long term replacement for him maybe ) but is proven in comparison to davies.

Even though we have signed two players im getting pretty worried, although we are consistenly being linked with Bentley, SWP, two players which i would love to see at Villa, either one would do :D[/quote']

I keep reading about Bentley inparticular. I think he would be a massive coup for Villa and would send out a message that they mean business. Im not a massive fan of Bentley as a person, although I do think hes a very good player (Apart from against Coventry at Ewood in the cup when he was woeful and we won 4-1 :D ) And obviously being a Coventry fan I cant say Im too fond of the Villa either, but having said that I will admit, and said on numerous occasions last season that they are very good to watch and have some outstanding young players.

well apparently today Martin Oneil has said that he will not be pursuing Bentley anymore. A shame really, but this, in my opinion opens up the door to SWP imo.

anyhoos, Villa are being strongly linked with Brad Friedel. And the american shot stopper has said that he wants to join us, good times, but i still ope we sign Guzan as we have agreed a fee, as our back up keepers are shoddy AND friedel wont have to many seasons in him.

Our next game is our inter toto game against danish team Odense. I really dont want us to slip up, we worked so hard to finish 6th, i dont wanna see 38 games worth of effort thrown away cus of a shoddy mentality against a team which on paper is much weaker.

odense bk 1 - 1 villa

carew put us in the lead in the 7th minute' date=' only for sidwell to score a og, i could potentially hate him even before the epl starts lol. still playing now though[/quote']

Odense 2-2 Villa

Laursen & Carew for Villa

Sidwell not a very convincing debut.

james that was a afwul result so im going to move swiftly on. only thig i can think is that our squad is tired, we have the premier leagues smallest squad, and it was a long season, and playing in the inter toto, means less of a pre season, so they must be tired. . . surely. Anyways,

Villa have been given permission to speak to Brad Freidel, a bid of around 2 million ( rumoured ) has been accepted for the veteran.

Im a masive fan of fridel , i wreckon we got 1-2 seasons out of him at LEAST. Prems most consisent keeper maybe ?

I hope we get him but i also hope we get Guzan for after Friedel, we did agree a fee but iv heard nothing since.

Aston villa sign a great keeper at last, arbeit he will only have 1-3 seasons in him max.

He moved to Villa for an undisclosed fee, and im delighted with the signing, id still however like to buy Guzan as back up and the future number one. Oneil signed Friedal as he has experience ( not to mention his talents ). Friedal moved to villa because he feels they are a club moving in the right direction and is delighted to work with Oneil and Ramdy Lerner.

Thankfully due to an Ashley Young goal, Villa will be playing in the UEFA cup next season, something im delighted with, BUT slightly concerned. Although Oneil has repeatedly assured Villa will be signing more players, until then, im concerned that we wont have the squad to compete on two fronts, as we do want to do well in the UEFA cup.

In the game agsinst Odense, Bouma got injured as is expected to have a long lay off, surely anothe reasons to buy another Left back as we dont have one, unless we have a talented youngster coming through in that position.

Apparently over the last week, Oneil has offered a olive branch to Barry, saying to him we want you to stay and that we value him.

He also told Liverpool to decide what they want to do or face being barred from his signature.

Hello Adamski, didn't realize there was a Villa thread until just now :D You can't tell by my name or sig but I am a huge Villan.

Very excited about the Friedel signing since I'm a Yank from the Cleveland area just like him B) He is also a top Prem keeper and has been for a few seasons now.

I think with him and Guzan we will be set for a long time. Gives Guzan a couple of years to learn. If nothing else the US puts out great keepers so I think we are fortunate to have 2 of their best.

Also, nice to see us make Uefa qualifying! Draw is this Friday. Hopefully we are in better shape than we showed against Odense. I think that development, plus other events of the last couple of days, mean Barry may be staying put after all. I know he's turned a lot of people off but I think the last thing we can afford is to lose anyone, especially him.

hey erm . . scot dutch :)

Good to see another villa fan on the forum :)

No your right we cant afford to loose any with the squad as it is, but imo, if we sold Barry it would be a blow but thats 18 million for 28 year old, imo we could spend that money really well, either way, if he stays or goes im happy.

Friday will be a big day for villa, not only do we find who we will be playing the UEFA qualifiers, we will find out if Guzans work permit is accepted, after it was rejected in January :)

EDIT : post number 40 for me on this thread, heres to another 40. whether you like it or not, you will be getting my opinions on villa and all there latest news !

Who will play for Bouma? One of the youth gonna get a call-up? He is a massive loss I think, I tend to take him for granted but he is a solid, consistent player. I know MON mentioned one of the younger players as a possible replacement but I forget which :confused:

Also, I absolutely love the way MON has handled the Barry situation. He didn't budge an inch. It's nice to see someone stand up to a big four team and not back down. Someone needed to do it...I mean look how Spurs handled the Keane situation, they got bullied into selling. MON told Rafa to do one, he's building a squad, not playing feeder for somebody else.

true i glad that MON diddn't move on the asking price 4 barry, but i feel that MON is spending to much time on getting barry to sign the new contract then signing players to improve on the our small squad.

I hope Villa do get Ruben De la Red is excellentpasser of the ball

I hope the de la Red links are for real, what an aggressive move that would be by MON. He is worth the 9.5m pound reported I think. We paid that much for NRC almost. Imagine him and Barry starting, with Sidwell and Petrov in the squad.

At that point I think Reo-Coker could be moved to RB. He seems more comfortable on the wing and he likes to dig in and mix it up, so I think he'd be perfect for the position. I really don't think he is that great up the middle but he can be very aggressive up the wing. In fact he could probably play either side.

Good day for Villa, we drew some Icelandic team I've never heard of and can't pronounce, and Guzan was approved a permit. And MON is talking like he has some more moves up his sleeve. He had better :rolleyes: