Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

times are saying its false' date=' but the 'sell to buy' thing was something that was mentioned a while ago by marcotti (think i posted it here) so it wouldnt shock me if lerner wants to cut back, esp as he doesnt want to pay big money for bilge (£8m for reo-coker, £4m harewood, £5m collins etc)[/quote']

yeah add Shorey, Knight, Heskey, Sidwell, Routledge, Beye...

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

I hope MON does not resign ive heard some quite audacious rumours.

• Lerner has spent 160+ million and still were struggling to get 6th *plausible*
  • he's tired of it and told MON hes not getting anymore money, causing MON to resign*Unlikly*
  • paving the way for JOSE MOURINHO*laughable*
Guest 1CapWonder

This doesn't just come out of nowhere. I refuse to accept that this is complete nonsense so I'm not ruling out anything. I believe the worst that could happen is that we have a strained relationship. I honestly believe that this is the worst outcome. Liverpool fans constantly tell me how the owners have ruined their club, not Benitez, so I don't want a strained relationship.

Ok, let's now speak hypothetically. IF MON has seriously had the bottle, to tell Randy Lerner to give him more money. IF MON would seriously threaten to quit because Lerner won't give him more cash to spend, then I want O'Neill out. I am deadly serious. As far as I'm concerned, Lerner has been nothing but brilliant, and I'm sure he's tired of seeing £2m,£3m,£4m,£5m shipped out on garbage that make up squad numbers. Why buy Shorey if your not going to play him? Why buy Beye if you are not going to play him? Why buy Harewood? Why buy Routledge? These are names that have already been mentioned. Granted, we recouped half of Wayne's fee, we got all of Maloney's fee back, and in fairness, we got more back for Knight than we paid for. However, I still struggle to see the logic behind signing these players. Why sign Sidwell when he wants first team football? Why sign James Collins when he can't play football?

Worst of all, the £5m spent on Collins was money gained from selling Gary Cahill. How the hell can you sell Gary Cahill and play Zat Knight ahead of him!!!

MON has no point, NO POINT at all arguing for more funds. If I was in Lerners position, I'd let him walk if he did this and bring someone in who cares about his money and not just treat it like a god given gift.

This is hypothetical of course. I love Martin O'Neill, and I am ranting in the hope that I can go back on everything I have said. I hope it isn't true or I'll be desperately, desperately disappointed in him. What's worrying is that no one is coming out and saying NO this is NOT TRUE.

That's all we want to hear...

-snip-

I 100% agree. If it is a demand to Lerner for more money then that is shameful on MON's part, and Lerner could not be condemned for letting him walk. What annoys me though is the large amount of Villa fans that have been calling for his head prior to this simply on account of poor results. These are the same fans which booed their own team off after a late equalizer at Wolves, not the ones who were still singing at 7-1 down last weekend.

There was a list collated by a bookies of the managers most likely to succeed MON if he is to walk out and it was a depressing read; I don't think there is anyone who would take on the job now who would be better than MON. Let's just hope it is all rumours, although I would have expected a reassurance that he will stay by now. :(

There is also talk of Milner to Man United although i think that also originated from TalkSport. It's not surprising that big clubs would be sniffing around him though.

Guest 1CapWonder

On the matter of booing, can I just say I have not had any of it all season away from home, and I have been to most of our away games. It is a section of home supporters who don't know anything about football, sitting in the holte end, thinking they are proper fans. It's a small section, and they are jeopardizing MON's position altogether. It's amazing the influence a small number of people can have on a football club.

MON has no point' date=' NO POINT at all arguing for more funds. If I was in Lerners position, I'd let him walk if he did this and bring someone in who cares about his money and not just treat it like a god given gift.

This is hypothetical of course. I love Martin O'Neill, and I am ranting in the hope that I can go back on everything I have said. I hope it isn't true or I'll be desperately, desperately disappointed in him. What's worrying is that no one is coming out and saying NO this is NOT TRUE.

That's all we want to hear...[/quote']

I'm not trying to stoke or fuel the flames here but it's no secret that when Martin left Celtic his wife was seriously ill.

But it was also mentioned, on more than one occassion, that Martin had been told that after the excesses of building the squad that went to Seville that he'd now have to tighten his belt and trim both the squad and also the wage bill. While not getting a lot in return to strengthen.

Martin left. Gordon Strachan came in and he had to do just that. The vast majority of the big name players left and the squad and wage bill were reduced to a large degree. Gordon had little money to work with in his first season at Celtic but delivered.

Many said that Martin refused to work under the terms that Celtic wished him to adhere too.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/aston_villa/article7082095.ece

Reassured me a little bit. Although you'll likely see this tomorrow and have already read the back pages and know whats going on. :o

I've also heard that O'Neill had requested to leave and been told to sleep on it. But then that's 606 so not the most reliable source. :P

This is a big if (and likely an unnecessary one) If O'Neill does leave (which I can't really see happening soon and certainly not now) then I think Mark Hughes would be a good choice. Knows the league, available (no need for compo), would want the job, presumably, and has shown, if needs be, he is able to work on a tight budget (at Blackburn, not City :P).

The fact you have a large British contingent means you should probably get a British boss since I believe British players tend to react well to British managers (due to their relative inflexibility). Obviously not vital but I would think preferable.

Thoughts?

Also, whom are these other 'depressing' targets? I imagine Shteve's name has been linked since his rejuvanation.

Who else? Not...*gulp*...Phil Brown!?!?

Also' date=' whom are these other 'depressing' targets? I imagine Shteve's name has been linked since his rejuvanation.

Who else? Not...*gulp*...Phil Brown!?!?[/quote']

Mark Hughes - 4/1

Tony Mowbray - 7/1

Steve Coppell - 8/1

Alan Curbishley - 9/1

Steve McLaren - 10/1

Avram Grant - 12/1

Glen Hoddle - 12/1

Paul Lambert - 14/1

Nigel Pearson - 14/1

Gerrard Houllier - 14/1

Alex McLeish - 16/1

Sam Allardyce - 16/1

Roy Keane - 20/1

Roberto Martinez - 20/1

Roberto Di Matteo - 20/1

Alan Pardew - 20/1

Paul Jewell - 33/1

David O'Leary - 40/1

Steve Staunton - 40/1

No Brown in sight fotunately :P Whoever was cheeky enough to sneak O'Leary in at the bottom deserves a slap though lol. I guess it's not a terrible list but I don't think I'd swap any of them for O'Neill. SpyBet has given us a 20/1 on Mourinho which is fanciful but a move I would certainly welcome. :D

from the times:

Is Martin O'Neill all he is cracked up to be?

Gabriele Marcotti

Tuesday offered a textbook case of how quickly rumours can spread. Peter Lansley's piece sums up neatly how unconfirmed reports of Martin O'Neill's resignation as Aston Villa manager romped around the web and the airwaves. Heck, I was part of it too ... retweeting Oli Kay's tweet (which, responsibly, reminded us that it was UNCONFIRMED) and then watching the mayhem unfold.

I have to confess I don't understand the O'Neill phenomenon. Maybe it's my fault. I don't think he plays outstanding, innovative football. I do think he sets out his teams in a well-organised counter-attacking system and generally gets them to execute his game plan very well. But so do others.

I don't think he's particularly shrewd or creative in the transfer market. By my reckoning, since arriving at Villa Park, his club have spent more money than any other team in the Premier League (£88 million in net terms) with the exception of Manchester City. And, after all that expense, Villa will probably finish somewhere between fifth and seventh which basically equates to the club punching its weight.

Take a quick look at history. O'Neill finished 11th in his first season and sixth the last two years. The much maligned David O'Leary took Villa to sixth place in 2003-04. That was his first season at the club and he took over a side which had finished just three points above relegation the previous year. In the seven seasons between 1995 and 2002, Villa finished fourth, fifth, seventh, sixth, sixth, eighth and eighth, while winning the League Cup in 1996. The guys managing Villa in those years were Brian Little and John Gregory (with a bit of Graham Taylor thrown in). Neither Little nor Gregory (let alone O'Leary) are spoken of in the same glowing terms as O'Neill. And yet they achieved what they achieved without the massive investment from Randy Lerner, but with the rather more cautious Doug Ellis at the helm.

I fail to see what in his results at Aston Villa suggests he's any different from his peers who achieved comparable results, like Harry Redknapp (with a comparable budget) or David Moyes (with a smaller budget and smaller wage bill).

Further muddying the waters - and, again, it's probably just me - is the fact that I don't understand what his transfer strategy is. Since arriving at Villa he has only bought players from British clubs, with three exceptions: John Carew, reserve goalkeeper Brad Guzan and Moustapha Salifou (who is 26 and has yet to start a league game). It has been a pattern throughout his career. At Celtic, in five seasons he brought in three players from abroad: Bobo Balde and Joos Valgaeren who were pretty good and Michael Herbert, who never played a single league game for the club. Now, you obviously don't need to buy players from abroad to be a good manager. But the fact that he has bought just six in nearly nine seasons is a bit of a head-scratcher.

Unless he's somehow prejudiced against them (and I don't think he is), it suggests his scouting network and decision-making maybe isn't what it should be. Instead, he's bought British players, mostly young ones, for which he's been widely praised. But again, it's not as if he's unearthed gems, signing some teenage left back from Colchester who then goes on to become the next Stuart Pearce or an underrated striker from Reading whose career he helps get back on track. Most of his British signings are fairly obvious ones - well-known players at market prices, whether it's Stewart Downing or Ashley Young or James Milner. There's no great nous or imagination there, it's basically a case of bringing in brand names. And paying accordingly for the privilege.

He's supposed to be some kind of guru to young players, but, in fact, he's given league debuts to just four home-grown players in four seasons. One of them, Isaiah Osbourne, is now on loan at Middlesbrough. The other three - Ciaran Clark, Marc Albrighton and Nathan Delfouneso - have between them started a single league game this season and played less than 300 minutes between them. He's meant to be methodical and clear-thinking, but then he signed three quarters of his starting back four (Stephen Warnock, Richard Dunne and James Collins) in the last hours of the transfer window. Which actually doesn't suggest much of a plan at all.

What you're left with is his results. Which, as stated above, are good but not exceptional. Three SPL titltes, three Scottish FA Cups and a League Cup in five years. But, of course, that was at Celtic. Gordon Strachan, his successor, also won three league titles, as well as a Scottish FA Cup and two League Cups, and he did it in four years. You don't see Strachan mentioned in the same breath as Sir Alex Ferguson and Brian Clough do you? And, yes, he did take Celtic to the Uefa Cup final. (But then Steve McClaren also took Middlesbrough to a Uefa Cup final).

O'Neill strikes me, ultimately, as someone who does the job to the level you would expect, given the resources at his disposal. Nothing less, nothing more. When you have a net spend of £88 million over four years, a top six finish is the least you can expect. We'll never know, of course, but one would imagine that, say, David Moyes might have attained comparable heights if he'd had £88 million to spend, instead of the roughly £20 million net spend he's had to work with since O'Neill's arrival. Who knows? Maybe some of the folks further down the food chain would have as well. Heck, maybe even Brian Little and John Gregory.

Would he have been more successful than, say Rafa Benitez at Liverpool or Wenger at Arsenal? Maybe, maybe not. But, while I can imagine an argument for why he would do worse, I have yet to hear a cogent argument for why he would definitely have done better. (I'm all ears, BTW. Though, of course, I accept that it's mere conjecture, we'll probably never know).

One more thing. Lansley's article mentions suggestions that O'Neill is under pressure because Lerner, Villa's owner, is unwilling to make further large investments in the club. If that's the case, it's more than understandable. You spend big, you get the players you want and then you work on making them play well together as a team.

O'Neill has succeeded in doing so with Young and Milner, now it's up to him to make it work with the others. But now comes the real test of whether he really is a special manager or just another "good" manager who succeeds when he's awash with money. Now we'll find out what he can do. Provided, of course, the unconfirmed rumours are wholly false and he does decide to stick around, even with a switched off tap.

Guest 1CapWonder

I'd like to invite all Villa fans (along with anyone else) to have a read of this, and let me know your thoughts. I'm especially keen to get the views of fellow fans, but the opinions of anyone else is duly welcome :)

http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=62163

Anyway, it's not too scathing, but it's how I strongly feel. I'm going to the game on Saturday and I'm looking forward to going down and getting right behind the boys. Nothing other than a win will do in what is to be an incredibly tight game IMO. COME ON THE VILLA!!!

Havent really been on SM long enough to post my thoughts and after reading that thread Elliot i cba, lots of long posts = frazzled brain.

Ill sum up my opinion on the matter, and Oneil.

Firstly i find it absloutely disgusting that fans, the media and who ever else, starts to question the good work, and our season as a whole on the back of a horrendously poor result. Yes its bad, but does it define our season ? no i dont think so, anyone who thinks that is a idiot. Why has no one in the media or one here for that matter ever questioned Oneil before until this defeat, either alot of people are fickle or just like jumping on Bandwagons. :rolleyes:

Oneil is far from the perfect manager, if he was, he would be at a bigger club that Villa. He is however a excellent manager who has transformed our club, and the aura surrounding it. He inherited a pap squad, truelly awful. Smallest in the league, and has turned it round into something to believe in, something im proud to associate myself with.

Yes he has spent money, im not doubting that, i dont actually think he is that shrewd in the TM, but he has got rid of alot of dead wood and didnt have a large squad to start with, so if we was ever going to improve, even slightly we needed a larger squad let alone adding quality.

He has made some fantastic additions in: Young, Milner, Carew, Dunne, Friedal, Cuellar ( Eventually :P ), Petrov

Then some not so good ones, Harewood ( shivers ), Heskey etc, and some where the jury is stil out. But all managers have that, and i dont think his record is that bad, as in hit or miss players brought in. I strongly disagree with the signing of Beye ( pointless ), Heskey, Harewood, the sale of Cahill etc.

Regarding just how much money we have spent, if they werent bloody english you could knock a massive % of that final amount off. People just dont take our circumstances into consideration, dwindling attendances, poor quality, poor squad. Investment was inevitable, its not been on a monumental scale, its been consistent investment and thats the way to run a club.( apart from 2 summers ago ).

Why are people being so critical now ? i just dont get it. Iv thought he has had weaknesses from day 1, and it annoys me how everyone suddenly doesnt rate him as much. He is a top manager, who has made mistakes, and undoubtedly will learn from them.

Only issue i have with him really is consistently playing Collins CB and not playing Young RB allowing CUellar to move to a CB role. I dont like how he doesnt rotate that much either, but his pros far outway his cons,

I fully support Martin Oneil. I have confidence in him, and believe he will continue to imrpove us. He aint leaving i know that. Im sure of it.

Also, we beat Bolton, putting in a good display. Club in crisis arent we ! yeah ok . . . .

Chelsea this weekend, i just hope we put a performance in, id be gutted if we lost but if the performance is there, im happy

COME ON THE VILLA !

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11677_6081628,00.html

Sessegnon apparently linked to us.

Id love to see it happen, as i think he is a top player and with PSG being dissapointing this season, its fair to say he may leave.

However.

I doubt it will happen purely on the basis he isnt British, and with no experience in the EPL it decreases the likelyhood even more.

If it did happen, nice . . . or not so. It would pretty much pave the way for either Young or MIlner to leave, obviously id prefer Young to leave but that doesnt mean i want him to, unless we get silly money. 20 million plus.

Our remaining fixtures:

Chelsea - FA Cup semi - Wembley

Everton - EPL (H)

Portsmouth - EPL (A)

Hull - EPL (A)

Birmingham - EPL (H)

Man CIty - EPL (A)

Blackburn Rovers - EPL (H)

I doubt it will happen purely on the basis he isnt British' date=' and with no experience in the EPL it decreases the likelyhood even more.[/b']

John Carew and Carlos Cueller didnt have any premier league experience but o'neill signed them so its not that unlikely he will look abroad for new players i hope he does because you get much better value for money.

John Carew and Carlos Cueller didnt have any premier league experience but o'neill signed them so its not that unlikely he will look abroad for new players i hope he does because you get much better value for money.

But Cueller had experience in Britain with Rangers in Scotland.

Carew is the only player who Oneil has signed that isnt British or hasnt played in a British based league.

Oneil is very very bias towards British based players' date=' there comes a point where this will inhibit our ability to go forward. I think were at this point and i to hope we go abroad.

But Cueller had experience in Britain with Rangers in Scotland.

Thats the point i was making :)

Carew is the only player who Oneil has signed that isnt British or hasnt played in a British based league.

Oneil is very very bias towards British based players' date=' there comes a point where this will inhibit our ability to go forward. I think were at this point and i to hope we go abroad.[/quote']

Apart from Brad Guzan and Moustapha Salifou :P.

Apart from Brad Guzan and Moustapha Salifou :P.

lol i thought of Salifou in my head and thought he played for United ! whoopsy, that was Djemba Djemba lol, had a blonde moment, and my comment was aimed at outfield players, but the fact he speaks english probably helped !

lol i thought of Salifou in my head and thought he played for United ! whoopsy' date=' that was Djemba Djemba lol, had a blonde moment, and my comment was aimed at outfield players, but the fact he speaks english probably helped ![/quote']

I really do hope he does broaden his search for players because if he keeps the transfer policy he has got it will stop us from moving forward british based players are to expensive arsene wengers example is the one to follow.

Guest 1CapWonder

Bit of a trek (considering the circumstances) but me and my mate are gonna make our way down to the game tonight and get behind the boys. Hopefully this will be the warm up to Wembley. Everyone is in good spirits and I'm hopeful certainly that we can avenge our 7-1 defeat. Looking forward to tonight though, mainly because entry is only £3 (£1 if I shave :P) and so the day will only set be back 20 quid as opposed to the usual 40 or so. Hopefully there will be a good attendance and a decent atmosphere. It is a semi final after all!!!

COME ON THE VILLA BOYS!!!!!

Come on the Villa !

Lets have a great performance to day, put to bet those doubters, and that day at Stanford Bridge, regardless of that performance, we can beat chelsea, and have proven that this season and in others gone by.

UTV.

Dunne & Milner to have late fitness tests.