Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Wow

Our season is potentially in tatters before its even started.

Martin Oneil resigns with immediate effect :(

He has done great things with us, he is a great manager, i feel that has been coming a while, the relationship between him and the club has deteriated !

I dont think its to do with Milner, although it could of been a final straw. ( cheers City :P )

Im gutted, but we can get a good replacement in, maybe one who is a little more smart in the transfer market and we could be ok. truelly devastated. The club is always bigger than one man, but he was a great manager.

And brought us some great times.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

heard a rumour that it was more to do with ashley young being sold (apparently thats going around on a few villa forums)

I fully expect this to be the reason he left than Milner. He has publicly accepted, through the media that Milner is leaving, plus we was getting a dft deal from city, so why would he quit over it.

I fully expect this to be the reason he left than Milner. He has publicly accepted' date=' through the media that Milner is leaving, plus we was getting a dft deal from city, so why would he quit over it.[/quote']

exactly, unless the 'sky sports understands' version of lerner wanting straight cash and oneill and city wanting players + cash is true

Guest 1CapWonder

As far as I'm concerned, this has put my biggest fears to bed: Martin O'Neill is a mug.

It is incredible, how at the start of his reign, I loved the guy, despite him spending near on 10m on Knight and Harewood.

However, as I have become older and wiser, I have noticed his flaws, big flaws. I no longer look at him as a character, and the face of my football club. I look at him as a manager, and a person. Neither are warm opinions either.

Behind the scenes, I believe he may have become nasty and bitter. He tried to take advantage of Randy Lerner, and he tried to take advantage of his players, and it was becoming more and more apparent. Those who saw O'Neill through tinted spectacles, wouldn't listen. He is portrayed as a brilliant record, and let's be honest, his record speaks for itself. He's done extremely well, from Wycombe to Leicester. At the top of Scotland, to the top of England. Look at the potential at Villa though, we could have been so much more, I honestly believe that. With his supposed ability as a manager, he failed to deliver his best in my opinion. Instead, he continued to fight Lerner to the very end, and I believe we have Cloughie all over again, except this time, Brian Clough wasn't present.

O'Neill demands things his way. He fails to see the bigger picture. Ronaldo was sold for £80m. How much of that did Ferguson see? Does he make things harder for himself though? Bully the owners. Of course not. Ferguson's wants things running smoothly from top to bottom. I believe O'Neill told Randy Lerner, that he should have all the money from the sale of probably Milner, or even Young, or both. Lerner couldn't give him that. Of course he couldn't. He has a football club to run. You make an 18m profit on a player, you can't expect to keep that all for transfers, it has to go back into the football club, it's clear we're struggling, and not doing aswell as Lerner hoped, nor predicted. We've packed in Acorns as our main sponsor. We've not received any money from transfers in how long?

Martin O'Neill was given all the money he got from the sale of Gareth Barry. £12m. What did he spend it on? Stewart Downing. A disgraceful signing, truly disgraceful.

O'Neill has been given millions. MILLIONS! Just because he hasn't spent it well, doesn't mean he deserves more of Lerner's money. He's has all the money possible to build Aston Villa. Lerner's had enough, and full marks to him for not caving under the bullying.

If your not convinced, look below at our main transfer dealings with MON;

06/07

BOUGHT: £6.5m on Petrov.

£10m on Young.

£1m on Maloney.

SOLD: Peter Whittingham for 250k, what's he worth now?

Kevin Phillips for 700k.

Juan Pablo Angel released.

07/08

BOUGHT: 1.5m on Wayne Routledge

£1m on Moustapha Salifou

£3.5m on Zat Knight

£5m on Marlon Harewood

£8.5m on Reo Coker

£2m spent on loan signing Scott Carson!!!!! Ridiculous...

SOLD: Gary Cahill for only £5m :eek:

Liam Ridgewell for £2m

Jlloyd Samuel FREE

Steven Davis for £4m

Aaron Hughes for just £1m!!!

Gavin McCann for £1m

08/09

BOUGHT: £10m on Curtis Davies

£5.5m on Steve Sidwell

£2.5m on Brad Friedel

£2m on Brad Guzan

£4m on Nicky Shorey

£5m on Luke Young

£8m on Carlos Cuellar

£12m on James Milner

£3.5m on Emile Heskey

SOLD: Luke Moore for £3m

Shaun Maloney for £1m

Thomas Sorensen released

09/10

BOUGHT: £2.5m on Habib Beye

£8m on Fabian Delph

£8m on Stephen Warnock

£5m on James Collins :rolleyes:

£6m on Richard Dunne

£12m on Stewart Downing!!! kind of signing was that?

SOLD: Gareth Barry for £12m

Zat Knight for £4m

That's £133m spent on players.

Randy Lerner gets 34m in return.

Good business?

Good riddance.

Nice post elliot.

I'm gutted tbh, O'Neill was a very good man manager and gets the best out of his players, he was pretty good tactically but his transfers let him down.

Will we be able to get a manager of his ability to replace him, simple answer no.

Jol is not that much better and Ajax wouldnt release him anyway.

Who else is there.

Shame this has ended the way it has. Obviously O'Neill has had a fair bit to spend but he has done a lot of good work in his time at the club. It may have ended on bad terms but what he did for Aston Villa can not be forgotten. Best of luck in getting a good replacement because with a few good additions your team is good as any of the other sides challenging for the Champions League spots.

So, is this going to create a level of hatred to the board/Lerner that his policies have resulted in a manager who did such a great job leaving? Or will you just take it on the chin and move on, and just appreciate what Lerner has done for your club to get you to the point you are today.

You won't get a better manager than O'Neill. I'm pretty sure of that.

And West Ham should be licking their lips at the prospect of playing you, no manager, a bit of negativity around the club as a result, and also a good chance of Milner having gone by then, they could really be in with a chance.

Guest 1CapWonder

So' date=' is this going to create a level of hatred to the board/Lerner that his policies have resulted in a manager who did such a great job leaving? Or will you just take it on the chin and move on, and just appreciate what Lerner has done for your club to get you to the point you are today.

You won't get a better manager than O'Neill. I'm pretty sure of that.

And West Ham should be licking their lips at the prospect of playing you, no manager, a bit of negativity around the club as a result, and also a good chance of Milner having gone by then, they could really be in with a chance.[/quote']

I disagree with your comments. We will get a better manager than O'Neill. My frustration is that he quits 5 days before the season. It's clear that Hughes was holding out for the job, I can tell you that for free, and it's 100% true. He didn't want to go to London, but he wanted to find work again, and Fulham suited him. But he wanted Villa, and what an appointment he would have been. I personally believe there are many managers more suited to our job. Managers who are prepared to play more than 12 players a season, managers who don't isolate new signings after 3 or 4 games at their new club.

Fans who don't actually take notice, may protest, but I hope that for the good of Villa, these fans realise, that Lerner got us to where we are, more than O'Neill. He gave O'Neill £133m to spend on players. For £133m, I think any manager would be pushing for Europe. Randy Lerner is the best signing Aston Villa have made (if this makes sense) in the last 5 years. O'Neill was a very good manager, but he was limited, as explained above if you bothered to read the post.

As for West Ham, on paper, we are still a better side. I believe that players will look forward to the new boss coming in. We may see the best out of Reo-Coker, and Cuellar, when they are played week in week out in their best position. This could be a blessing in disguise. It's just a shame Shorey has left. I have a feeling that by the end of August, it could feel like we've made 4 or 5 new signings, when in fact, O'Neill's departure, has just left our fringe players feeling like they can express themselves again.

Wow' date=' Elliot your post has completely changed my view on O'Niell.[/quote']

Generally he did have a succesfull spell at Villa,

But Elliot does make an a good point, quitting 5 days before the season is far from ideal, infact it's more of a nightmare. He could have resigned after the last game of the season, it's not jut down to him i suppose Lerner aswell if that's the bottom line to why he resigned, this could have been sorted out in May, June or even July but August is way too late.

He did have a lot of money to spend, but you have to spend it right. Mind you some of the players he bought at the start like Reo-Coker, Luke Young, Harewood and even Sidwell, Beye & Guzan - there just not making an impact. Not enough players are given a chance, the likes of Reo-Coker & Sidwell are very good players but there not given a chance at first team action.

Letting go of O'Neill will certainly be like signing 4 or 5 new signings aswell, to a shorter extent mainly because of a shorter reign but when Sousa left Swansea we more or less signed our best striker in Stephen Dobbie who wasn't given a chance when he was the only player in our team who could join, Reo-Coker will definatly be a good new signing.

It's a shame you've missed out on Hughes, he could have brought the likes of Ireland, Santa Cruz & Bellamy to Aston Villa. Anyway if somebody like Jol, Moyes or Bilic takes over then they should do well at Villa if given the money but the squad does need to be cleared out a little and add a lot of depth to Aston Villa which was never used. Villa had a couple opportunies to finish in 4th, but the Villa squad just tired out dropped points at the end of the season and have always had to settle for Europa League which they never even had a crack at it anyway so there's battling for Europe to give it all away down to a small squad size - therefore a pointless cycle.

I disagree with your comments. We will get a better manager than O'Neill. My frustration is that he quits 5 days before the season. It's clear that Hughes was holding out for the job' date=' I can tell you that for free, and it's 100% true. He didn't want to go to London, but he wanted to find work again, and Fulham suited him. But he wanted Villa, and what an appointment he would have been. I personally believe there are many managers more suited to our job. Managers who are prepared to play more than 12 players a season, managers who don't isolate new signings after 3 or 4 games at their new club.

Fans who don't actually take notice, may protest, but I hope that for the good of Villa, these fans realise, that Lerner got us to where we are, more than O'Neill. He gave O'Neill £133m to spend on players. For £133m, I think any manager would be pushing for Europe. Randy Lerner is the best signing Aston Villa have made (if this makes sense) in the last 5 years. O'Neill was a very good manager, but he was limited, as explained above if you bothered to read the post.

As for West Ham, on paper, we are still a better side. I believe that players will look forward to the new boss coming in. We may see the best out of Reo-Coker, and Cuellar, when they are played week in week out in their best position. This could be a blessing in disguise. It's just a shame Shorey has left. I have a feeling that by the end of August, it could feel like we've made 4 or 5 new signings, when in fact, O'Neill's departure, has just left our fringe players feeling like they can express themselves again.[/quote']

O'neill is one of the best managers in the country, yes he made more bad signings than good but look we still managed t get 6th and get to wembley twice where were we when he took over? 16th he then took us to 11th and then 3 consecutive top 6 finishes i cant see a manager who would do that for us again.

I don't think mark hughes is much of an improvement either if anything it would be a step backwards.

Ohh and i hope Young does go To be fair what has he done these last 2 season's? he's been found out on the wings as all he does is checks back in on his right and whipps what is a poor cross most of the time. O'neill knew this and throughout pre season he's been playing off the front man.

I'm not sure who i want as manager at the moment. I would love hiddink or Kilnsmen but there not realistic.

Instead' date=' he continued to fight Lerner to the very end, and I believe we have Cloughie all over again, except this time, Brian Clough wasn't present.[/quote']

Surely this isn't so bad? O'Neill clearly wanted the best for the club he was managing, and, if he felt he needed to fight Lerner to do this, then so be it. It shows he clearly had passion for Villa to be a success. I couldn't have seen too many City managers fighting the board like that in the past (before the takeover) It was better than him just accepting Lerner's policies and operating in a way that he didn't like.

O'Neill demands things his way.

Surely that's what any top manager should do? Rather than operate in a way he doesn't like. If he's going to do the best job possible, then surely things have to be his way. If Lerner doesn't like O'Neill "bullying" him, then he should have sacked O'Neill and find a manager who did like his transfer policies. Look at Mourinho, I doubt he'd accept anything he didn't like like from the Madrid board.

Martin O'Neill was given all the money he got from the sale of Gareth Barry. £12m. What did he spend it on? Stewart Downing. A disgraceful signing, truly disgraceful.

Hows it disgraceful? Downing had his flashes of good quality, which isn't bad as you have to bare in mind he was only really fit for the second part of the season. He'd have to have a settling period to the team and how they play. If he doesn't improve this season, then, fair enough. But, at the time, last season (and still now) you have Milner, Young and Downing, they are three great midfielders to have in the same side.

O'Neill has been given millions. MILLIONS! Just because he hasn't spent it well, doesn't mean he deserves more of Lerner's money. He's has all the money possible to build Aston Villa. Lerner's had enough, and full marks to him for not caving under the bullying.

But while not caving under the bullying, he could have stopped Villa from going even further.

Also, on the transfers part, many of the players O'Neill signed would be sold for a profit if Villa were to sell them now, and chunky profits at that. And if that happened, that would represent very good business.

I don't think mark hughes is much of an improvement either if anything it would be a step backwards.

Agree with you there. I doubt Hughes would get that Villa side above 6th and emulate what O'Neill did. Hughes is a very good manager, but, in my opinion, O'Neill is an excellent manager.

As far as I'm concerned' date=' this has put my biggest fears to bed: Martin O'Neill is a mug.

It is incredible, how at the start of his reign, I loved the guy, despite him spending near on 10m on Knight and Harewood.

However, as I have become older and wiser, I have noticed his flaws, big flaws. I no longer look at him as a character, and the face of my football club. I look at him as a manager, and a person. Neither are warm opinions either.

Behind the scenes, I believe he may have become nasty and bitter. He tried to take advantage of Randy Lerner, and he tried to take advantage of his players, and it was becoming more and more apparent. Those who saw O'Neill through tinted spectacles, wouldn't listen. He is portrayed as a brilliant record, and let's be honest, his record speaks for itself. He's done extremely well, from Wycombe to Leicester. At the top of Scotland, to the top of England. Look at the potential at Villa though, we could have been so much more, I honestly believe that. With his supposed ability as a manager, he failed to deliver his best in my opinion. Instead, he continued to fight Lerner to the very end, and I believe we have Cloughie all over again, except this time, Brian Clough wasn't present.

O'Neill demands things his way. He fails to see the bigger picture. Ronaldo was sold for £80m. How much of that did Ferguson see? Does he make things harder for himself though? Bully the owners. Of course not. Ferguson's wants things running smoothly from top to bottom. I believe O'Neill told Randy Lerner, that he should have all the money from the sale of probably Milner, or even Young, or both. Lerner couldn't give him that. Of course he couldn't. He has a football club to run. You make an 18m profit on a player, you can't expect to keep that all for transfers, it has to go back into the football club, it's clear we're struggling, and not doing aswell as Lerner hoped, nor predicted. We've packed in Acorns as our main sponsor. We've not received any money from transfers in how long?

If your not convinced, look below at our main transfer dealings with MON;

06/07

BOUGHT: £6.5m on Petrov.

£10m on Young.

£1m on Maloney.

SOLD: Peter Whittingham for 250k, what's he worth now?

Kevin Phillips for 700k.

Juan Pablo Angel released.

07/08

BOUGHT: 1.5m on Wayne Routledge

£1m on Moustapha Salifou

£3.5m on Zat Knight

£5m on Marlon Harewood

£8.5m on Reo Coker

£2m spent on loan signing Scott Carson!!!!! Ridiculous...

SOLD: Gary Cahill for only £5m :eek:

Liam Ridgewell for £2m

Jlloyd Samuel FREE

Steven Davis for £4m

Aaron Hughes for just £1m!!!

Gavin McCann for £1m

08/09

BOUGHT: £10m on Curtis Davies

£5.5m on Steve Sidwell

£2.5m on Brad Friedel

£2m on Brad Guzan

£4m on Nicky Shorey

£5m on Luke Young

£8m on Carlos Cuellar

£12m on James Milner

£3.5m on Emile Heskey

SOLD: Luke Moore for £3m

Shaun Maloney for £1m

Thomas Sorensen released

09/10

BOUGHT: £2.5m on Habib Beye

£8m on Fabian Delph

£8m on Stephen Warnock

£5m on James Collins :rolleyes:

£6m on Richard Dunne

£12m on Stewart Downing!!! kind of signing was that?

SOLD: Gareth Barry for £12m

Zat Knight for £4m

That's £133m spent on players.

Randy Lerner gets 34m in return.

Good business?

Good riddance.[/quote']

Perfect sum-up really. Martin O'Neill is a great motivator, but is not the best tactically (forgive me for saying so, but I rarely saw a Plan B for Villa during O'Neill's reign when things weren't going well on the pitch, partly as a result of his insistence on playing the same 12-14 players every game) and has been questionable on more than one occasion in the transfer market. Personally speaking (apologies if this offends anyone in advance), I feel he took the club as far as he could and deep down after the dust settles, he may come to the same conclusion. Worst of all, is the way he has spat his dummy out of the pram and left Villa in the lurch days before the start of the Premier league season. The least he could have done was to inform the board of his intentions and wait until a succcessor was found to ensure a smooth transition. The way he's done it shows a distinct lack of class and a certain level of disdain that the chariman and the fans did not deserve (albeit he may feel he did it according to the way he lives his life and manages his clubs - with his heart on his sleeve).

Surely this isn't so bad? O'Neill clearly wanted the best for the club he was managing' date=' and, if he felt he needed to fight Lerner to do this, then so be it. It shows he clearly had passion for Villa to be a success. I couldn't have seen too many City managers fighting the board like that in the past (before the takeover) It was better than him just accepting Lerner's policies and operating in a way that he didn't like.

Surely that's what any top manager should do? Rather than operate in a way he doesn't like. If he's going to do the best job possible, then surely things have to be his way. If Lerner doesn't like O'Neill "bullying" him, then he should have sacked O'Neill and find a manager who did like his transfer policies. Look at Mourinho, I doubt he'd accept anything he didn't like like from the Madrid board.

Hows it disgraceful? Downing had his flashes of good quality, which isn't bad as you have to bare in mind he was only really fit for the second part of the season. He'd have to have a settling period to the team and how they play. If he doesn't improve this season, then, fair enough. But, at the time, last season (and still now) you have Milner, Young and Downing, they are three great midfielders to have in the same side.

But while not caving under the bullying, he could have stopped Villa from going even further.

Also, on the transfers part, many of the players O'Neill signed would be sold for a profit if Villa were to sell them now, and chunky profits at that. And if that happened, that would represent very good business.

Agree with you there. I doubt Hughes would get that Villa side above 6th and emulate what O'Neill did. Hughes is a very good manager, but, in my opinion, O'Neill is an excellent manager.[/quote']

Villa's net spend is 2nd only to eh I believe. Considering that 2 sixth place finishes were just not good enough. Abramovic at Chelsea has obviously now decided to cut down the spending despite not achieving his goal of winning the champions league. Do you hear the Chelsea fans having a go at him for stopping the club from moving forward (barring a few idiots)? You don't.

And contrary to what you believe most of Villa's signing would be sold at a loss. Would he get back 10m on Curtis Davis? Would he get back 8.5m on Reo Coker, 5.5m back on Sidwell? Many Villa supporters hadn't even heard of Salifou until the Togo buss had been attacked and he cost more than a million. Downing for 12m looks a atrocious deal when you consider a better player in Andy Johnson cost eh half the money. He's even been booed by Villa fans, that's how poor he has been.

With all the money he has had Villa continue to end the season badly. Why has he not addressed? They have 2 recognised Right Backs in Beye and Young and he sticks in Cuellar at Right back. Garry Cahill was sold for 5m and Zat Knight was bought for 5m as well. Not to mention one has to seriously question his English policy. In his time at Celtic and Villa he has only signed 5 players from outside the British Isles which quite frankly is shocking.

Very good man manager but his transfer policies leave a lot to be desired.

O'Neill would be perfect in a set-up with a DoF/Sporting Director or the equivalent to help oversee the scouting process and dilute his pretty tame record in the market, unfortunately he's not the sort of manager who is likely to find that agreeable. And he'd still only use 11.5 players a season anyway.

It's interesting to see the reaction of the Villa fans I know, only got back in the Midlands yesterday and already half of my mates were trying to talk me down the pub to drown their sorrows. I tend to sit in the camp with the few who are more optimistic now, expectations are going to be lower this season so maybe get in a manager who wants to get the ball down and play some decent stuff and just enjoy the ride.

If Villa appointed somebody like Sean O Driscoll I may even be forced to have a grudging warmth toward them. Though probably not. ;)

As a neutral, I would be happy to see Bob Bradley as the next Villa manager. He did well with the US, perhaps should have taken advantage of the easier World Cup draw (compared to England) but Villa would be a great first European job for him, although his lack of experience could be a downside. But, the likelihood is that wherever Bob goes, his son Michael would move from Moenchengladbach, and despite him not being as good as Milner, he would at least keep the squad size the same, and there's always Downing and Young on either wing (much to Elliotts displeasure)

Agree with Elliot as usual, he just had the patience to type it up into as long and well structured post, the guy when he took over was a saviour roound villa park, everyone LOVED him. Now im a little bitter in the way he left. He had spent to much and done enough with that, typical Villa, we had a few years of spending under Doug ( shock :eek: ) and it mounted to nothing. I just hope Lerner appoints a manager who is good in the transfer market or open to having a sporting director who helps with transfers.

Bob Bradley is the kind of coach id like to be at Villa, but Jol and Billic are my preffered choices.

lol Roko pipe down :P

Bob Bradley is now the bookies favourite with Jol in second place with Curbishly ( spews everywhere ).

Then its Billic.

I just hope its one of the above, apart from Curbs.

Bradley is a risk, but why not take it, up and coming manager, maybe it could work with a DoF.

All i know is, we needed change, just peeved it came about like this.

also.

NOTE:

Local press released a statement from non executive director.

"Young and Brad Friedal will not be leaving"

"some of the rumours have been truely amazing"

Which leads me to think Oneil quit purely on the basis he wouldnt get all the funds from Milner sale.