Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers *

is houiller basically playing to his favourites? when he was at liverpool he would literally bend over backwards for the likes of owen and gerrard' date=' yet he effectively sacked litmanen for basically saying in a newspaper interview that he wish he was playing more often - if he is still like that (and i slightly suspect that he is with playing young in the middle where he wants to play) and i can see that grating other members of the team, esp as two of them have bad memories of him from their time with him at liverpool (warnock and friedel)

[/quote']

Houllier is the second most stubborn man i know (Behind O'Neill of course), For example today we had hardly any fit defenders so we had to play 19 year old chris Herd who's a CM at CB and then play Baker who's a CB at LB when all this time Warnock could have come in and do a better job.

Dont get me started on Young, I will personally drive him too Manchester. He plays for one person and one person only and that's himself. Plus he's useless in behind Bent, They have no Understanding of each others game at all!

For the rest of the season i would go something like this....

Makoun | Reo-Coker

Downing/Albrighton | Delph | Young

Bent

You can see delph's talented and is itching to get a game but it's unlikely he's going to when Houllier is persistent on playing young there.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re: Offical Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * kiss my butt villa

Re: Official Aston Villa Thread ! * no spoilers * I LOVE being a villa fan

I have faith that Gerrard Houllier would not sign him. I just cant see it.

Has there contract been terminated or is it just set to expire in the summer ? Kit sponsors regularly change. We have had a few under Lerner. Also went a season advertising a charity on our **** too.

Im just delighted that in a press conferance GH has said he WILL go abroad in the summer to look for young foreign talent. Mentioning that he wants go globalize his squad' date=' which is correct. Looking abroad increases your options, its simple really. I am definitely looking forward to this summer.

we HAVE to win tomorrow !![/quote']

Probably plenty of young gems around... Kagawa was an easy one for Dortmund at well under a million (600 or so). Kantarovski would be one from Australia! ;) He'll probably end up in Germany or somewhere like that though.

Houllier is the second most stubborn man i know (Behind O'Neill of course)' date=' For example today we had hardly any fit defenders so we had to play 19 year old chris Herd who's a [b']CM[/b] at CB

Actually 21... ;) In the last year and a half Herd has come a long way, from seeing him first in the u20 WC. Will hopefully turn into a good CM at Villa, even RB.

Actually 21... ;) In the last year and a half Herd has come a long way' date=' from seeing him first in the u20 WC. Will hopefully turn into a good CM at Villa, even RB.[/quote']

I dont rate him at all, we've got better centre mids than him already (Gardner, Bannan, Delph).

I reckon he'll be come a decent championship player at best.

Guest 1CapWonder

O'Neill spent a net total of £101m in his 4 years at the club.

He's an absolute mug and he's the reason we're in the position we are now. Funny how he cuts and runs at every club just as they're on the way down...

Also, I can't stand Villa fans. So unbelievably fickle.

O'Neill spent a net total of £101m in his 4 years at the club.

He's an absolute mug and he's the reason we're in the position we are now. Funny how he cuts and runs at every club just as they're on the way down...

Also' date=' I can't stand Villa fans. So unbelievably fickle.[/quote']

Perhaps that is because he can take them no further? I think he did that at Aston Villa with funds being denied to buy new players. Does Houllier not take any blame for tactics and team selection? Martin O'Neill had most of these players playing well and finished in European places season on season.

Houllier has spent £18-24m (I don't know the actual figure) on Darren Bent and brought in Makoun and Pires on top of that. Do you think they were cheap and/or on low wages? As for the fickle fans, every club has fans like that.

Guest 1CapWonder

Perhaps that is because he can take them no further? I think he did that at Aston Villa with funds being denied to buy new players. Does Houllier not take any blame for tactics and team selection? Martin O'Neill had most of these players playing well and finished in European places season on season.

Houllier has spent £18-24m (I don't know the actual figure) on Darren Bent and brought in Makoun and Pires on top of that. Do you think they were cheap and/or on low wages? As for the fickle fans' date=' every club has fans like that.[/quote']

Exactly. But he'd never ever admit that would he. He's not prepared to see through a bad season at a club in order to improve, like Moyes, Ferguson or Wenger is. He'd much rather cut and run whilst his repuation is in tact.

Oh, and leaving less than a week before the start of the season is a good time to leave because he can't "take us any further" Rubbish.

Houllier is trying to play football, I genuinely believe that, but he's struggling to motivate players with attitude and no work ethic. Have lost an enormous amount of respect for Collins and Dunne, not that I liked either of them anyway. And to think people were chanting Dunne's name and complaining when he wasn't selected for the Wolves game.

Houllier has not had an awful lot to pick from. You may say that these are the same players, but Milner has left, we've had terrible luck with injuries, Gabby refuses to take Houllier's advice and his bulking himself up too much instead of focusing on his football (leading to him losing a yard of pace and becoming more and more injury prone) whilst players like Petrov, Carew, Heskey are losing their legs.

O'Neill had these guys playing well because people like Dunne and Sidwell and Warnock were picking up £50,000 a week and being allowed to do whatever they liked. These players were over-performing, playing pretty dire football at times, and being carried by Laursen and Barry in MON's first "squad" and by Friedel and Milner in his second "squad"

We spent £18m on Bent and so what? He's played like 7 games, you expect Houllier to do what MON did in 20-25 games?

Every club has fickle fans, but every club does not have the majority attitude our fans have. It's quite pathetic really. We beat Blackburn 4-1, and even against Bolton, where we were magnificent, everyone is singing O'Neill's name. Then suddenly, back at Villa Park the fans who don't even travel out of Birmingham to watch Villa suddenly come out in force and put up snide banners and sing obscene chants.

Only at City away (the 4-0 loss) have I heard the fans singing Houllier out, yet we come back to Villa Park and everyone is on his back. Idiots.

Exactly. But he'd never ever admit that would he. He's not prepared to see through a bad season at a club in order to improve' date=' like Moyes, Ferguson or Wenger is. He'd much rather cut and run whilst his repuation is in tact.

Oh, and leaving less than a week before the start of the season is a good time to leave because he can't "take us any further" Rubbish.

Houllier is trying to play football, I genuinely believe that, but he's struggling to motivate players with attitude and no work ethic. Have lost an enormous amount of respect for Collins and Dunne, not that I liked either of them anyway. And to think people were chanting Dunne's name and complaining when he wasn't selected for the Wolves game.

Houllier has not had an awful lot to pick from. You may say that these are the same players, but Milner has left, we've had terrible luck with injuries, Gabby refuses to take Houllier's advice and his bulking himself up too much instead of focusing on his football (leading to him losing a yard of pace and becoming more and more injury prone) whilst players like Petrov, Carew, Heskey are losing their legs.

O'Neill had these guys playing well because people like Dunne and Sidwell and Warnock were picking up £50,000 a week and being allowed to do whatever they liked. These players were over-performing, playing pretty dire football at times, and being carried by Laursen and Barry in MON's first "squad" and by Friedel and Milner in his second "squad"

We spent £18m on Bent and so what? He's played like 7 games, you expect Houllier to do what MON did in 20-25 games?

Every club has fickle fans, but every club does not have the majority attitude our fans have. It's quite pathetic really. We beat Blackburn 4-1, and even against Bolton, where we were magnificent, everyone is singing O'Neill's name. Then suddenly, back at Villa Park the fans who don't even travel out of Birmingham to watch Villa suddenly come out in force and put up snide banners and sing obscene chants.

Only at City away (the 4-0 loss) have I heard the fans singing Houllier out, yet we come back to Villa Park and everyone is on his back. Idiots.[/quote']

I wasn't suggesting about O'Neill isn't true and I don't agree with the timing of his desicion to leave either. I was only pointing out that Martin O'Neill did a lot of good things for Aston Villa and this seems to have been forgotten. I wasn't making a point about Bent's form, as you say he has only played seven games, but if Martin O'Neill spent £101m in four seasons then do you think Houllier won't do similar? The point was he spent £30m this January window alone and I am sure there will be more incomings when he gets rid of the players he doesn't want or like eg Dunne.

Guest 1CapWonder

I wasn't suggesting about O'Neill isn't true and I don't agree with the timing of his desicion to leave either. I was only pointing out that Martin O'Neill did a lot of good things for Aston Villa and this seems to have been forgotten. I wasn't making a point about Bent's form' date=' as you say he has only played seven games, but if Martin O'Neill spent £101m in four seasons then do you think Houllier won't do similar? The point was he spent £30m this January window alone and I am sure there will be more incomings when he gets rid of the players he doesn't want or like eg Dunne.[/quote']

O'Neill did a lot of good things, but his reputation is tarnished, and still people refuse to recognise it. Our club are paying the price now for many of his decisions which perhaps seemed a good idea in the short term. Lerner put a lot of trust on O'Neill and he was very let down by him in the end of it. I think he is now a lot less confident about trusting his manager, and with Villa fans being the way they are, Houllier could be gone very soon, which would be extremely sad in my opinion. I'm not saying Houllier won't spend money, but I think his net spending will be lower, and I also think he will spend the money better. O'Neill wasn't much cop in the transfer market when you compare ALL of his dealings, not just the 4 or 5 that worked out.

After my initial post after the game, im stil uncertain where the future lies for us and Houllier.

For his football to work, we need yet more investment. In fairness, it would always be needed, and i think Lerner would recognize this and invest. He needs his own players in i think far to many psych issues going on at Villa at the moment, some tossa's in the dressing room dont help either, thought this stuff was behind us.

We can get the points, but its a matter of it we will.

I can understand the reasons for people wanting him out, although some of them are fickle. But whoa re we to judge, its a difficult season and people need someone to blame.

You know its bad when all the news regarding your club is down playing player revolts :rolleyes:

Couldnt be any worse.....

There are clearly football clubs within this division with not as many great players, a worst starting 11, a worse squad quality wise.....

But there is no team in the premiership, heck im guessing most of england that has bad as atmosphere surrounding and no doubt in the club as aston villa.

Its wrong on the players half as they play for the club not the manager and shouldnt throw toys out the pram, however i dont think GH has handled this in the best possible manner.

Im hoping we sneak enough points, and make a decision.

Cut the players causing issues, or cut GH. I fear its to far gone to be sorted out now.

Its reported up to 8 players want out if GH stays on :confused::rolleyes: ... tossas.

You know its bad when all the news regarding your club is down playing player revolts :rolleyes:

at least ged isnt sacking players for saying that they wish to play more football...

whilst its bad, i'd be amazed if you went down, and even more amazed if ged survived this season regardless of what happens. on the plus side, going into next season you've got a decent squad, good facilities and the bar will be very low for whoever's in charge then...

There are clearly football clubs within this division with not as many great players' date=' a worst starting 11, a worse squad quality wise.....

But there is no team in the premiership, heck im guessing most of england that has bad as atmosphere surrounding and no doubt in the club as aston villa.

Its wrong on the players half as they play for the club not the manager and shouldnt throw toys out the pram, however i dont think GH has handled this in the best possible manner.

Im hoping we sneak enough points, and make a decision.

Cut the players causing issues, or cut GH. I fear its to far gone to be sorted out now.

Its reported up to 8 players want out if GH stays on :confused::rolleyes: ... tossas.[/quote']

This whole situation could have and should have been handled in a much better way. As long as it gets sorted over the summer, i'm not too bothered which way it goes as long as it's the best for the Villa. Get enough points to guarantee safety this season then either get rid of Houllier or give him the funds and back him. Despite this, i'm resigned to losing Ashley at the end of the season. Coming out of the club that he's rejected a new £80,000 / week contract. I don't think it would be the end of the world if Houllier stays, given what he did at Liverpool and Lyon, he can be a good manager, however his man management skills have to be looked at following the debarcle of the last few weeks and the stories coming out of the dressing room

at least ged isnt sacking players for saying that they wish to play more football...

whilst its bad' date=' i'd be amazed if you went down, and even more amazed if ged survived this season regardless of what happens. on the plus side, going into next season you've got a decent squad, good facilities and the bar will be very low for whoever's in charge then...[/quote']

The bar shouldnt be set low though, thats one of the most dissapointing things about this season. I expected us to take a few steps back this season due to the amount of cr@p the club had to deal with, but this is shocking !

This whole situation could have and should have been handled in a much better way. As long as it gets sorted over the summer' date=' i'm not too bothered which way it goes as long as it's the best for the Villa. Get enough points to guarantee safety this season then either get rid of Houllier or give him the funds and back him. Despite this, i'm resigned to losing Ashley at the end of the season. Coming out of the club that he's rejected a new £80,000 / week contract. I don't think it would be the end of the world if Houllier stays, given what he did at Liverpool and Lyon, he can be a good manager, however his man management skills have to be looked at following the debarcle of the last few weeks and the stories coming out of the dressing room[/quote']

Im more concerned with our premiership status to worry about who will be in charge in the summer.... genuinely concerned.

Ashley Young can go, obviously its a loss, but he has been so far up his own butt recently its untrue. Good amount of money which will be re invested is good for the club.

My opinion on GH is complex, on one hand im shocked and stunned with some of his tactical decisions, and his complete ineptitude when it comes to man mangement.

On the other i like how he is developing the club, changing our football philosophy and i like his ability to bring in players. This summer if we stay up ( or go down ) will be very busy in terms of personel.

He needs to be backed with money, and sort the squad out. Or be sacked, situation cant carry on like this.

Saw rumours today linking us to a few players from france, aint got a clue how good they are im just happy with had some news regarding footballers and not everyone hating GH

Im more concerned with our premiership status to worry about who will be in charge in the summer.... genuinely concerned.

Ashley Young can go' date=' obviously its a loss, but he has been so far up his own butt recently its untrue. Good amount of money which will be re invested is good for the club.

My opinion on GH is complex, on one hand im shocked and stunned with some of his tactical decisions, and his complete ineptitude when it comes to man mangement.

On the other i like how he is developing the club, changing our football philosophy and i like his ability to bring in players. This summer if we stay up ( or go down ) will be very busy in terms of personel.

He needs to be backed with money, and sort the squad out. Or be sacked, situation cant carry on like this.

Saw rumours today linking us to a few players from france, aint got a clue how good they are im just happy with had some news regarding footballers and not everyone hating GH[/quote']

Obviously Prem status takes priority over everything, but I feel quietly confident that we can secure that relatively easily due to how poor teams like wigan, wolves and blackpool are currently playing (And i know wolves beat us but the point remains). We need to stabilise the whole club top down, and if that means losing the likes of friedal, cuellar etc then so be it. Stability brings success so we need to get a balanced squad which won't be changed drastically every 6 months then start talking about climbing the table getting into Europe etc

I would of taken that prior to the game, but disappointed we through it away so to speak giving them a penalty and all. Was unable to watch the game so im looking forward to watching the two inept scouse lovers, albeit the red scouse on MOTD later.

Disappointed small heath scum won, and baggies. But it could of been worse.

I would of taken that prior to the game' date=' but disappointed we through it away so to speak giving them a penalty and all. Was unable to watch the game so im looking forward to watching the two inept scouse lovers, albeit the red scouse on MOTD later.

Disappointed small heath scum won, and baggies. But it could of been worse.[/quote']

I think it was a fair result especially with Everton having a weaker team out. Also your fans were pretty good, some of the best I have seen this season at Goodison.

I think it was a fair result especially with Everton having a weaker team out. Also your fans were pretty good' date=' [b']some of the best I have seen this season at Goodison[/b].

Were usually pretty good away, heard a few people say that ! Was expecting a poor show from our fans with everything thats going on in recent weeks but delighted people put the club first ..... as they should ;)

Newcastle next

Houllier sets 10 point haul to get safety :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he said this two weeks ago.

I really dont like when managers set targets when your in a relegation fight. You shouldnt settle for anything less than a result each game. 4 home games left, one against Liverpool last day of the season. 3 away, only one that the odds are majorly stacked against us is Arsenal away.

With games against Newcastle, Stoke and Wigan at home, and Baggies and West Ham away we should get enough points ( Although we have already lost to Stoke and Newcastle this season :o Although losing to Stoke was a joke :mad:).

God forbid we dont get 7 points out of the home games, we could be in serious trouble if that happens and we lose to either baggies or west ham !:eek:

Been offered tickets for West Ham away but i have so much work on, but its west ham away.... could be a sensational day. Then again could be horrendous.

If i dont make that, realisitically the only game this season ill get to from now on is Liverpool home, last day of the season.