Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Agree with ray , khan vs bradley is a pick em fight for me , 50/50... Saying that i fancy khan though , i think his speed will just be too much for bradley, who isnt a big puncher, got average to good power.

When/if Khan moves up who do you think he will be looking at Ray , Berto ? Ortitz ?

P.s what do people think of the Khan fallout with sky ? Personally i think he is being ill advised , and should have accepted the demotion to ss3 , as imo the undercard wasn't quite good enough to make up for a one sided main event.

Khan wouldn't want to fight McCloskey again, but how on earth was last nights fight fair? Still can't see why it was stopped as the cut was minor. So what if he was winning the previous rounds or not, fact is that it means nothing if it had went on and there was a knockout and which you can never tell of in boxing. Sure Khan was punching away but were they hurting McCloskey at all? No.

Anyway, can't for Khan - Bradley. That should put the arrogant ...... in his place.

Khan wouldn't want to fight McCloskey again' date=' but how on earth was last nights fight fair? Still can't see why it was stopped as the cut was minor. So what if he was winning the previous rounds or not, fact is that it means nothing if it had went on and there was a knockout and which you can never tell of in boxing. Sure Khan was punching away but were they hurting McCloskey at all? No.

Anyway, can't for Khan - Bradley. That should put the arrogant ...... in his place.[/quote']

I agree, i dont think it is fair , but you cant really blame Khan for the fight getting stopped. With reference to winning the earlier rounds Khan was outworking McCloskey who was his usual awkward self but didnt do enough to win rounds. I dont agree with people who say Khan was tiring , he is always superbly conditioned...,. Personally i think Khan would have forced a late stoppage with a combination of punches.( Rather than a knockout)

Boxing is about levels, and in my view , khan is a two or three above McCloskey.

Khan wouldn't want to fight McCloskey again' date=' but how on earth was last nights fight fair? Still can't see why it was stopped as the cut was minor. So what if he was winning the previous rounds or not, fact is that it means nothing if it had went on and there was a knockout and which you can never tell of in boxing. Sure Khan was punching away but were they hurting McCloskey at all? No.

Anyway, can't for Khan - Bradley. That should put the arrogant ...... in his place.[/quote']

It shouldnt have been stopped.....Agreed

Did it really make much difference to the end result, IMO No Khan would have won at a canter.

As for the Sky thing totally ill-advised, be honest how many mugs (apart from me :o) would pay to watch that card last night?? If Khan wants mainstream popularity exposure it has to be Sky and it would also have been nice for us boxing fans not to have to shell out for once in a while, I mean I missed Real V Barca for that :(

Khan/bradley is to close to call for me, Bradley aint a big puncher but technically he is very good, decent skillset and has the in-ring intelligence to make this a really good fight. I agree with Boro man (soz dont know your real name-apologies) Berto,Ortiz are good shouts but a lot of it depends on what happens in the Bradley fight if he wins then I think Ortiz is a fighter who has big appeal in America and would be IMO an easier fight than Berto, if he loses then he is gunna start out at a slightly lower level to regaion confidence before the bigger fights.

It shouldnt have been stopped.....Agreed

Did it really make much difference to the end result' date=' IMO No Khan would have won at a canter.

As for the Sky thing totally ill-advised, be honest how many mugs (apart from me :o) would pay to watch that card last night?? If Khan wants mainstream popularity exposure it has to be Sky and it would also have been nice for us boxing fans not to have to shell out for once in a while, I mean I missed Real V Barca for that :(

Khan/bradley is to close to call for me, Bradley aint a big puncher but technically he is very good, decent skillset and has the in-ring intelligence to make this a really good fight. I agree with Boro man (soz dont know your real name-apologies) Berto,Ortiz are good shouts but a lot of it depends on what happens in the Bradley fight if he wins then I think Ortiz is a fighter who has big appeal in America and would be IMO an easier fight than Berto, if he loses then he is gunna start out at a slightly lower level to regaion confidence before the bigger fights.[/quote']

We wont be seeing Amir in our shores for some times, he is heavenly supported by HBO , obviously golden boy's links help. Shame for me personally , as when i went to see him vs Barrera, thoroughly enjoyed the occasion , atmosphere was electric...

Where do you guys think McCloskey goes from here , European title defence in Ireland i think.

The name is Ryan ray, no worries:p. Personally i just see khan being too sharp for Bradley , although i certainly wouldnt rule Bradley out . He done a good job on devon alexander in a fairly dull fight.....

Khan speaks of unifying the divison , does anyone think he will want to fight zab judah for the ibf strap ? Personally i think this is a fight i think he will look to avoid, Judah can make anyone look bad , very awkward slick fighter with decent power.... Could see him being a handful for anyone.

EDIT : I didnt buy the fight due to the undercard :P especially when berto vs ortitz wasnt on the ppv anymore ( was meant to be a great fight too, fantastic win for victor)

We wont be seeing Amir in our shores for some times' date=' he is heavenly supported by HBO , obviously golden boy's links help. Shame for me personally , as when i went to see him vs Barrera, thoroughly enjoyed the occasion , atmosphere was electric...

Where do you guys think McCloskey goes from here , European title defence in Ireland i think.

The name is Ryan ray, no worries:p. Personally i just see khan being too sharp for Bradley , although i certainly wouldnt rule Bradley out . He done a good job on devon alexander in a fairly dull fight.....

Khan speaks of unifying the divison , does anyone think he will want to fight zab judah for the ibf strap ? Personally i think this is a fight i think he will look to avoid, Judah can make anyone look bad , very awkward slick fighter with decent power.... Could see him being a handful for anyone.[/quote']

Mccloskey IMO will never be in the world-class bracket, so yeh back to ireland probably.

Khan will be in America for a long time no doubt (unless he loses a fight and may come back for a short-spell).

Logically I see no reason for Khan to fight Judah, if he beats Bradley he will be recognised as the best at 140lb and there is nothing for him to gain in beating a guy like Judah who he will be expected to beat.

147 is the logical way and as I say I think he will be pitched pretty high, he has already beaten Malignaggi who must be one of the top-ranked at 147 so Ortiz/Berto are the logical steps and IMO Ortiz is the easier of the two fights. He wont fight Pacquaio and Mayweather well who knows when and if he will be back, but regardless he would need a couple of fights at 147 before he could aim for that Mega-fight.

No doubt the best weight IMO is around the 140-147lbs in boxing ATM.

Having said all that the fight Im looking forward to the most of the British fighters is Degale V Groves as I love a fight with genuine animosity. Id love to see Groves knock the arrogant git out but Degale should IMO prove to classy, shame for Cleverley whose world-title tilt seems to be being forgotten in all the furore caused by those two

I agree' date=' i dont think it is fair , but you cant really blame Khan for the fight getting stopped. With reference to winning the earlier rounds Khan was outworking McCloskey who was his usual awkward self but didnt do enough to win rounds. I dont agree with people who say Khan was tiring , he is always superbly conditioned...,. Personally i think Khan would have forced a late stoppage with a combination of punches.( Rather than a knockout)

Boxing is about levels, and in my view , khan is a two or three above McCloskey.[/quote']

I've got to agree with that really,the cut didn't warrant a stoppage to the fight in my opinion but the end result was inevitable really as I don't feel Mccloskey had the punch to knockout Khan to be honest,Khan seems to be set on fighting Bradley which I think is the logical choice for him and if he was to unify the division it adds to his CV and gives him some leverage for when he moves up to Welterweight,I think Ortiz is a good shout and would be a good first opponent as he has a reputation in America and it would increase Khan's,I think someone like Berto is a risk as he could deal with Khan's speed better than most and has the power to knock out Khan.

PS:I see Ortiz beat Berto last weekend which I didn't know about,I think there could be a rematch there and if Ortiz wins again then that's definitely who Khan will fight IMO.

Mccloskey IMO will never be in the world-class bracket' date=' so yeh back to ireland probably.

Khan will be in America for a long time no doubt (unless he loses a fight and may come back for a short-spell).

Logically I see no reason for Khan to fight Judah, if he beats Bradley he will be recognised as the best at 140lb and there is nothing for him to gain in beating a guy like Judah who he will be expected to beat.

147 is the logical way and as I say I think he will be pitched pretty high, he has already beaten Malignaggi who must be one of the top-ranked at 147 so Ortiz/Berto are the logical steps and IMO Ortiz is the easier of the two fights. He wont fight Pacquaio and Mayweather well who knows when and if he will be back, but regardless he would need a couple of fights at 147 before he could aim for that Mega-fight.

No doubt the best weight IMO is around the 140-147lbs in boxing ATM.

Having said all that the fight Im looking forward to the most of the British fighters is Degale V Groves as I love a fight with genuine animosity. Id love to see Groves knock the arrogant git out but Degale should IMO prove to classy, shame for Cleverley whose world-title tilt seems to be being forgotten in all the furore caused by those two[/quote']

Agreed, the winner of Khan v Bradley will be universally recognised as the best 140lb fighter in the world.. No need tp fight Zad, other than for a alphabet title that holds no real significance now a days anyway.

Not sure if ortitz would be the easier way to go , never saw him last night when he beat Berto but by all reports he was very impressive, and apparently looked like a beast up at 147. That is a fight that Golden boy will definetly look to make though , a match up between two of their big name fighters , who coincidentally are friends, and khan holds a stoppage victory over ortitz from there amateur days.

De Gale vs Groves, i will be rooting for De Gale , really do think he could be world class. Think he will have far too much for groves on the night , and im predicting a mid round knockout ... I still think with a bit of work on his defence though grooves can still operate at a high level! Good bout though no doubt, not happy with it being on box office like !:( Excited to see cleverly , hope he does the business as he could potentially be a big star ! After the super six , assuming Froch gets to the final at least , Froch v Cleverly ? ( although if froch wins super six he will be after lucian bute , or maybe kessler to avenge his loss )

How many times have you seem him box then?

Twice of sorts

Saw extended highlights of when he won the European title against the Spanish bloke cant remember his name and obviously last night and based on what I have seen I dont think he has nearly enough ability to trouble any of the top guys at 140lbs thats for sure. he clearly has minimal punch power is not the quickest and does not have the natural skills and skillset of other top 140lbs fighters, having seen the likes of Guzman,Maidana,Alexander not to mention Bradley,Khan and there are others such as Peterson i would put way ahead of him. do you really think he is anywhere near that level based on what I have seen no chance

This fight was always going to be routine for Khan. Ok, he didnt shine but against an awkward opponent he won every round. Not bad.

Khan vs Bradley will be interesting. Im not a big fan of either tbh.

Bradley doesnt have much power in his punches but catches you with clean shots as he counters what his opponent throws.

I think Bradley will be a little too well schooled for Khan to beat.

Degale vs Groves is going to be a fun fight.

For what Degale has achieved in the sport, he saunters round like Ali. :mad:

I believe Groves will win by being the busier fighter. He could even force a stoppage late on.

Groves has been sparring with Dirrell ahead of the bout which is really good for him. Dirrell is a slippery fighter just like Degale but on another level.

Apparently Groves had the better of Dirrell. Interesting.

Anybody remember J Witter being outclassed by Bradley? He certainly won't be a walk in the park for Khan, but if Amir wants to be the best, he needs to beat the best.

Its amazing to see how much Amir has progressed now over the last couple of years. There were enough haters who were writing of his career after his defeat to Prescott, but he's come back stronger, and Roach has done wonder's for him.

Of course, the lad has always been talented, which is why he was our only representative at Athens. In fact, he was so confident in his ability at the time, that he was willing to change allegiances to go to the olympics as the British board were having second thoughts on sending him as he was so young.

He's proved that the defeat to Prescott was just a fluke, after all, you just need to look at where both boxer's currently lie.

Anybody remember J Witter being outclassed by Bradley? He certainly won't be a walk in the park for Khan' date=' but if Amir wants to be the best, he needs to beat the best.

Its amazing to see how much Amir has progressed now over the last couple of years. There were enough haters who were writing of his career after his defeat to Prescott, but he's come back stronger, and Roach has done wonder's for him.

Of course, the lad has always been talented, which is why he was our only representative at Athens. In fact, he was so confident in his ability at the time, that he was willing to change allegiances to go to the olympics as the British board were having second thoughts on sending him as he was so young.

He's proved that the defeat to Prescott was just a fluke, after all, you just need to look at where both boxer's currently lie.[/quote']

true. He has come back stronger. He never deserved a title fight though. He beat an old man in Barrera and somehow got a world title fight from it. More about ppv buys than him actually deserving a shot.

I find it a little disapointing that he chose mccloskey as his last opponent, Prescott wanted the bout. At this time in his career, a victory over the only guy to beat him, and in such devastating fashion would have better for him.

If anybody missed the berto vs ortiz fight then go watch it. Fight of the year candidate.

true. He has come back stronger. He never deserved a title fight though. He beat an old man in Barrera and somehow got a world title fight from it. More about ppv buys than him actually deserving a shot.

I find it a little disapointing that he chose mccloskey as his last opponent' date=' Prescott wanted the bout. At this time in his career, a victory over the only guy to beat him, and in such devastating fashion would have better for him.

If anybody missed the berto vs ortiz fight then go watch it. Fight of the year candidate.[/quote']

Don't see how you can say 'somehow', like it came out the blue. Khan's first words were 'I want to be a world champion' so it was inevitable he would get his chance, admittedly he got it the easy way a bit. At the end of the day, money talks, and his huge support has helped him along the way aswell. As they say though, you can only beat what's put up against you, so he is a deserved World Champion for sure.

On the point about Prescott, Team Khan obviously saw more of an incentive/benefit of taking up the McCloskey fight, and only they know what is best for Khan. There's no doubt though, that Khan will meet Prescott in the future, no doubt about that.

Don't see how you can say 'somehow'' date=' like it came out the blue. Khan's first words were 'I want to be a world champion' so it was inevitable he would get his chance, admittedly he got it the easy way a bit. At the end of the day, money talks, and his huge support has helped him along the way aswell. As they say though, you can only beat what's put up against you, so he is a deserved World Champion for sure.

On the point about Prescott, Team Khan obviously saw more of an incentive/benefit of taking up the McCloskey fight, and only they know what is best for Khan. There's no doubt though, that Khan will meet Prescott in the future, no doubt about that.[/quote']

But there is no time like the present. Khan will be fighting Bradley next with any luck, is he going to want to go and fight prescott if he wins that fight? The only way I see them fighting is if Khan loses.

I say somehow because he didnt deserve the shot at the champion. He did a fantastic job of winning the belt but that doesnt take away from the fact he should never have been in that ring.

Imo, you should have accomplished something before fighting for a world title. Khan had done nothing and better yet he had never fought at the weight he got his world title shot at.

So that is what 'somehow' meant. :)

I think this fight for khan was a case of, if we dont have to risk getting beat, why should we?

In other words, Mccloskey didnt have the tools to beat Khan but Prescott, despite being crude had knockout power. So why take the risk?

Disapointing imo

But there is no time like the present. Khan will be fighting Bradley next with any luck' date=' is he going to want to go and fight prescott if he wins that fight? The only way I see them fighting is if Khan loses.

I say somehow because he didnt deserve the shot at the champion. He did a fantastic job of winning the belt but that doesnt take away from the fact he should never have been in that ring.

Imo, you should have accomplished something before fighting for a world title. Khan had done nothing and better yet he had never fought at the weight he got his world title shot at.

So that is what 'somehow' meant. :)

[b']I think this fight for khan was a case of, if we dont have to risk getting beat, why should we?

In other words, Mccloskey didnt have the tools to beat Khan but Prescott, despite being crude had knockout power. So why take the risk?

Disapointing imo[/b]

Exactly, which is why they went with McCloskey.

You can argue that there were more people who deserved that chance, i 100% agree, but then Khan didn't get that chance by luck though did he? He probably put more more on to the table, or something along them lines.

Khan wont fight prescott again , unless he loses, prescott is a bum who got outclassed by mitchell , a victory wouldnt do much for khan's credibility. ( personal pride though perhaps ?)

As for de gale vs groves i think de gale will be too slick , in simple terms too good. Just think he is on a different level to george, de gale has also been getting quality sparring with Nathan Cleverely.

As for Ortitz, aint seen the fight yet, heard it was a absolute war... After the maidana fight i hold my hands up and say i wrote him off , credit where credit is due !! Him n khan will meet if khan beats bradley ! ( or maybe khan will have one tune up fight at 147)

I have never seen a fight end like that before and even Mccloskey didnt want it to be over at the end. But Kahn just over powered him on Saturday the guy is too quick and lands a few decent punches I don't think Mccloskey stood a chance in the rounds that were left.

Stumbled with this thread, Khan would certainly kill McCloskey if there's gonna be a rematch which we all know that will not happen. Khan will face Timothy Bradley which is not impressive in his last fight against Devon Alexander, and for me Khan will win that fight. And for McCloskey, he is not a top tier boxer though it's my first time to watch him.

There's a lot of upset that weekend, Berto lose to Victor Ortiz, though I bet on Ortiz to win it but the one I don't expect was Juanma getting TKO'd by Salido.. Big upset.

Surprised its not been mentioned yet' date=' but Haye vs. Klitschko has been announced for July 2nd in Hamburg. Can't wait for that already, should be a great fight. Can't back against Klitschko though.[/quote']

I'm very glad this fight has finally been sorted, however i've got a horrible feeling its going to be a major anti-climax with it going to a boring points win. I've got visions of another fight like the Valuev one, with Haye dancing around the ring throwing the odd jab here and there.

I hope i'm wrong and Haye knocks Wladimir out!! :D

Don't get me wrong but the Klitschko brothers have no one in the heavyweight division that could match them. Haye, yes he is a world champ, but I don't think he have the skill level to beat Wladimir, it would take a miracle though.

Wladimir, a K.O in the middle rounds is my prediction.