Magic J

The Official Boxing Thread

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Im honestly not surprised about Juanma, he's been in trouble before and imo was an accident waiting to happen. He should be happy that he has taken this loss now and can hopefully learn from it in time to face Gamboa.

Haye vs Wlad is 60:40 in favour of Wlad imo, he has the jab, the size and the home advantage.

Haye has explosiveness and one punch knockout power. I can see Wlad frustrating Haye and cause him to jump in and in doing so get caught by a hook. I'll take Wlad in the middle rounds too.

Im more excited about Mitchell vs Murray tbh, Mitchells head wasnt in the game against Katsidis imo. He could have outboxed Michael and worn him down.

Im going to take Mitchell via decision. He'll boss the early and late rounds with Murray coming back into it in the middle rounds. ;)

Didnt expect Juanma to lose on saturday tbh , although i think Gamboa is a different league ... Will be fun whilst it lasts though ( assuming it gets made ). Will happen at 130 pounds though i believe.

Mitchell vs Murray , i will undoubtedly be a cracking bout. Wouldnt surprise me if murray was able to wear mitchell down and force a stoppage mid to late rounds, personally , i think kevin will outbox murray and win a close but clear unanimous decision ! The winner will move on to world level !

Didnt expect Juanma to lose on saturday tbh ' date=' although i think Gamboa is a different league ... Will be fun whilst it lasts though ( assuming it gets made ). Will happen at 130 pounds though i believe.

Mitchell vs Murray , i will undoubtedly be a cracking bout. Wouldnt surprise me if murray was able to wear mitchell down and force a stoppage mid to late rounds, personally , i think kevin will outbox murray and win a close but clear unanimous decision ! The winner will move on to world level ![/quote']

Im not at all impressed by Murray. Alot is made of him for some reason but I just think he is a one dimensional domestic fighter.

Is Fernando Vargas a good boxer or relatively unknown just wondering because there are rumours well more than rumours going around that he will fight Nick Diaz a MMA fighter in a boxing match?

Is Fernando Vargas a good boxer or relatively unknown just wondering because there are rumours well more than rumours going around that he will fight Nick Diaz a MMA fighter in a boxing match?

He used to be quite good to be honest,I think he took drugs in his career but he fought Oscar De La Hoya and run Shane Mosley close so was a good boxer.

He is quite good back then, but drugs ruined his career and not usually in shape on fight day. I remember him most because I always play him on my PS1 back when I was a kid. Vargas should atleast win that fight to prove that boxing is different from MMA though Nick Diaz is quite a good boxer. Hope he trained hard though..

Vargas(26-5, 22 KO) was a good boxer fought against some of the best-Trinidad/De la Hoya/Campas/Mosely and bronzed at Olympics I think.Unfortunately he had to drop weight to 154 to fight De la Hoya and company and ended up taking performance enhancing subs to enhance his power.

He is quite good back then' date=' but drugs ruined his career and not usually in shape on fight day. I remember him most because I always play him on my PS1 back when I was a kid. Vargas should atleast win that fight to prove that boxing is different from MMA though Nick Diaz is quite a good boxer. Hope he trained hard though..[/quote']

If its a boxing match I think Vargas takes it, but that is debatable. If its an MMA fight he next to no chance.

RIP Henry Cooper

Cooper, who in 1963 knocked down a young man who went by the name of Cassius Clay in a world title fight, will be fondly remembered by all who knew and respected him. Clay, now known as Muhammad Ali of course, was 18-0 at the time and was shocked by a crushing left hook that was fondly known as “Enery’s Ammer.”

Sir Henry ended his seventeen-year boxing career in 1971 with a record of 40-14-1, 27 KO’s and shared the ring with the likes of Floyd Patterson, Muhammad Ali (twice) and Ingemar Johannson in a glittering career that just failed to hit the very top.

Cooper-Ali-1.jpg

?m=02&d=20110508&t=2&i=407494787&w=&fh=&fw=&ll=460&pl=300&r=2011-05-08T050015Z_01_BTRE7470DUP00_RTROPTP_0_BOXING

Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines retained his WBO welterweight title by recording a unanimous points victory over a lacklustre Shane Mosley at the MGM Garden Arena on Saturday.

The 32-year-old southpaw, despite being hampered by cramp in his left leg, dominated all 12 rounds against his defence-minded American opponent to improve his career record to 53-3-2 with 38 knockouts.

I thought it was a pretty poor performance by Mannys standards and it asks questions about how he would fair against Mayweather.

He couldnt really get to grips with Mosley by boxing him and the only way he had much fortune was when he went forward with reckless abandon.

You can do that against Mosley as not much will come back at you, but against Floyd?

You'll get a left hook on your chin.

I thought it was a pretty poor performance by Mannys standards and it asks questions about how he would fair against Mayweather.

He couldnt really get to grips with Mosley by boxing him and the only way he had much fortune was when he went forward with reckless abandon.

You can do that against Mosley as not much will come back at you' date=' but against Floyd?

You'll get a left hook on your chin.[/quote']

Well Manny is a great fighter-but he has lost his zeal. Mayweather will defeat him (edit. should read has a greater probability of beating him) -not because hes a better fighter but because his style of fighting gives him an advantage over Manny's style. Does not change the fact Manny is the best pound for pound.

Btw Lionel Rose died i think yesterday-first aboriginal fighter-I remeber seeing a movie about him couple years back.

I can't believe the ref gave the push on Manny by Shane as a knockout :confused:

Glad Manny won though :)

yeah-awesome boxer and person. Really hope he retires soon, his trainer been quoted he (Manny) no longer has the thirst for boxing..

Any up and coming fighters we should be aware of?

I think boxing missed out on what could have been one of the best fights of all time when Edwin Valero took his life. Valero vs Manny would have been fantastic. Unfortunatley Edwins demons got the better of him in the end :(

Im thinking of putting a cheeky bet on at the bookies.

Groves vs Degale UD

Haye vs Wlad (T)KO

Mitchell vs Murray UD

I think id make a pretty penny on them, what with them all being underdogs.

I think boxing missed out on what could have been one of the best fights of all time when Edwin Valero took his life. Valero vs Manny would have been fantastic. Unfortunatley Edwins demons got the better of him in the end :(

Im thinking of putting a cheeky bet on at the bookies.

Groves vs Degale UD

Haye vs Wlad (T)KO

Mitchell vs Murray UD

I think id make a pretty penny on them' date=' what with them all being underdogs.[/quote']

The Groves fight would be a decent shout..

The Groves fight would be a decent shout..

I think Degale's got too much for Groves personally,still only two days till fight night and it should be great to see what happens as I don't think it will be dull without the amount of hatred between the two.

I think Degale's got too much for Groves personally' date='still only two days till fight night and it should be great to see what happens as I don't think it will be dull without the amount of hatred between the two.[/quote']

Agreed. Lets hope its a good fight.

Im up for Groves v degale like' date=' DeGale for me though.

Cleverely beats Brahemer too.[/quote']

Agreed.

Id love to see Groves bash Degale up, he annoys me as he is an arrogant, self-obsessed little..(add your own adjective) but he will IMO be to classy, to slick for Groves.

Cleverley should win but wont be easy could see it going the distance

Agreed.

Id love to see Groves bash Degale up' date=' he annoys me as he is an arrogant, self-obsessed little..(add your own adjective) but he will IMO be to classy, to slick for Groves.

Cleverley should win but wont be easy could see it going the distance[/quote']

Interesting article by jonny nelson here

http://www1.skysports.com/thisisit/story/21179/6931055

Personally like yous ay ray, think degale will have too much, n will outclass groves, possibly late stoppage.

Agreed.

Id love to see Groves bash Degale up' date=' he annoys me as he is an arrogant, self-obsessed little..(add your own adjective) but he will IMO be to classy, to slick for Groves.

Cleverley should win but wont be easy could see it going the distance[/quote']

I'd love to see Groves do him in but i don't see it myself, as you said DeGale is technically better and will outclass him unfortunately - i hope i'm wrong