The Official Boxing Thread

Magic J

Re: The Official Boxing Thread

Great fight on Sat night between Mitchell and Murray. Fantastic performance from Mitchell, he showed a good variety of punches delivered with power and accuracy and once again showed he can both box and have a tear-up when required. If he can keep his head together and his personal life in order, then he can go on and win a version of the world title imo.

Murray was found out to have reached his level. He is a decent European level fighter but no more. He has a predictable style for his opponents to face, is far too easy to hit and does not hit hard enough himself. He relies on wearing opponents down and when faced with a decent puncher, took too much punishment before he could wear Mitchell out.

The rest of the card was a disappointment. Feel sorry for both Burns and Cooke after that outcome, although maybe should never have happened in the first place. Bellew has not yet done enough to earn a shot at Cleverly, even though he showed something different to his game on Sat night. Gavin it seems, also still has some way to go before relaising his potential.

Looking forward to Fury v Chisora next week. Good to see some of our best domestic fighters facing up against each other. I will go for Fury on points for that one.

Ricky Burns has since come out to say he would be interested in fighting Mitchell if there was a title on the line. Would be a interesting matchup, and even though ricky burns is perhaps the most underrated boxer/fighter in Britain i would fancy Mitchell to win that one, just because i dont think burns hits hard enough to keep mitchell off him ( although it would be a 50/50 fight imo)

i would like to see Mitchell face Katsidis again, someone i think he would easily beat if he was on his game. As i dont think he is ready for Brandon rios yet. Also rios may be moving up to 140 in the near future.

Id probably give it 60:40 in favour of Mitchell.

Katsidis would be the fight id like to see for him next. Katsidis is a gorilla and alot less one dimensional than Murray.

Although Mitchell has all the skills to win the fight and id probably have my money on him in a rematch.

Ive got Chisora this saturday.

Id probably give it 60:40 in favour of Mitchell.

Katsidis would be the fight id like to see for him next. Katsidis is a gorilla and alot less one dimensional than Murray.

Although Mitchell has all the skills to win the fight and id probably have my money on him in a rematch.

Ive got Chisora this saturday.

Not sure Katsidis will be the same fighter after his last two fights, defeats to JMM and Guerrero. He is still a beast of a pressure fighter, with explosive punching power. Could see mitchell out boxing him and stopping him late.

Fury v Chisora not sure who im having in that one!Dont have a favorite neither, as a person.

Not sure Katsidis will be the same fighter after his last two fights' date=' defeats to JMM and Guerrero. He is still a beast of a pressure fighter, with explosive punching power. Could see mitchell out boxing him and stopping him late.

Fury v Chisora not sure who im having in that one!Dont have a favorite neither, as a person.[/quote']

Mitchell still gets hit too much. Against Burns it wouldnt be a massive problem as he isnt a big puncher but id still be worried for him in a rematch with the aussie.

Chisora and Fury are both clowns. Hoping for a double knockout.

Mitchell still gets hit too much. Against Burns it wouldnt be a massive problem as he isnt a big puncher but id still be worried for him in a rematch with the aussie.

Chisora and Fury are both clowns. Hoping for a double knockout.

Yeah katsidis has power' date=' he is very reckless though. Although if murray was able to hit him... Just think the last two fights may have took it out of katsidis. One thing i would think Mitchell should try and do is avoid brandon rios, guys a beast. ( Although he would have a chance to beat him, big underdog though)

[b']WBA titleholder Andre Ward, THE RING’s No. 1-rated super middleweight, and WBC beltholder Carl Froch, the magazine’s No. 2-rated 168-pound contender, will fight to determine the Super Six tournament winner on Oct. 29 at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J.[/b] - Ring

Going to be epic.

Looking forward to Ward v Froch too. Can see the fight following the same pattern as the Froch v Dirrell fight (which i think Froch would have lost if it was anywhere else but in the U.K), with Ward out-moving and out-boxing Froch whilst largely on the back foot and Froch coming forward putting pressure on and trying to land power punches.

Froch will have the heavier punch power and strength whereas Ward will have the superior speed, movement and technical ability. Hopefully the styles will gel nicely to make a good fight.

The American judges usually like a fighter who is on the front foot all the time, but as he is fighting an American in America, i do fear a hometown decision against Froch.

Hope Froch can do it, as i like the way he is willing to take on the best in his division and he always puts everything on the line in every fight.

Hate to say it but i am gonna go for Ward by split decision. Hope i am wrong!

Trying to get involved in watching boxing a lot more, like watching the sport and always have as a supporter of Enzo Maccarinelli but towards the end of his career i went off it a bit and have since. Enjoyed the Haye-Klitchsko fight and i'll be watching Fury-Chizori.

Nice 1st round, very nice fight with plenty of punches :)

Never mine Enzo Aidan' date=' get behind Nathan Cleverely.[/quote']

Nothing on Enzo, who's Swansea born and a Swansea fan, but he seems a good fighter. Didn't think he was on 22-0 though :eek: Potentially as good as Calzaghe if he maintains that unbeaten record! :) Nothing on Enzo though, he does support that lower league team down the road :o

Nothing on Enzo' date=' who's Swansea born and a Swansea fan, but he seems a good fighter. Didn't think he was on 22-0 though :eek: Potentially as good as Calzaghe if he maintains that unbeaten record! :) Nothing on Enzo though, he does support that lower league team down the road :o[/quote']

I disagree.

Joe Calzaghe is a special fighter. Its extremely rare that a fighter with such talent comes around nevermind from the same small country.

Good to see more fans coming to the scene though, as boxing needs this to get back to the good ol' days.

Decent domestic fight tonight, rather entertaining. However im not such a big fan of the heavyweight craze of throwing punches in slow motion.:P

I disagree.

Joe Calzaghe is a special fighter. Its extremely rare that a fighter with such talent comes around nevermind from the same small country.

Good to see more fans coming to the scene though' date=' as boxing needs this to get back to the good ol' days.

[b']Decent domestic fight tonight, rather entertaining. However im not such a big fan of the heavyweight craze of throwing punches in slow motion.[/b]:P

Yeah it was a great fight, round 2 was immense!! It got a bit scrappy towards the end, but thats to be expected in a heavyweight bout

Enjoyed the Fury vs Chisora bout, very good british title fight. Was nice to see a good fight on terrestial tv, channel 5 did a decent job broadcasting it too.

Havent been able to watch the Amir Khan fight yet, but by all reports he was very impressive in dispatching Judah in five, big fights beckon.

ive not watched it yet either. I'll admit waking up this morning and finding out he hadnt been stopped himself was rather disapointing.

He thinks he is "quite a way" infront the other british fighters and he thinks they know that. :rolleyes:

Maybe if he had gone on the tear of opponents Carl Froch had been on we could talk. but he hasnt.

He hasnt avenged his loss to prescott, he hasnt fought a world class fighter imo.

ive not watched it yet either. I'll admit waking up this morning and finding out he hadnt been stopped himself was rather disapointing.

He thinks he is "quite a way" infront the other british fighters and he thinks they know that. :rolleyes:

Maybe if he had gone on the tear of opponents Carl Froch had been on we could talk. but he hasnt.

He hasnt avenged his loss to prescott' date=' he hasnt fought a world class fighter imo.[/quote']

I disagree mousey, i am a big Khan fan.

Athough i do agree with you, he isnt the best fighter in britain imo, that has to be carl froch. Khan does come across as a bit brash, arrogant perhaps. To his credit though he is willing to back up his claims. He offered Bradley a 50/50 split to everything, and he declined. So he then went out and fought the next best available guy in Judah.

With regards to the prescott fight, that doesnt interest me. Khan would beat prescott easily. He has been exposed by Miguel Vázquez and Kevin MItchell since the Khan fight. Khans list of opponents is a impressive; Kotelnik, Malinaggi ( although on the slide), Maidana, Mclcoskey ( marginal) and Judah were all top ten, and in some instances, top5 140 pounders when Khan fought them.

I give him alot of credit for the Maidana fight. Thats his biggest win to date against a primed fighter.

I personally see him as a fraud.

Kotelnik is ordinary, as is malignaggi and mcloskey.

Judah has been declining for years and i wouldnt say he is world class at this point in his career.

I find it disrespectful that he has called out PBF when he hasnt (imo) fought a real top class opponent.

ofcourse all of this may be down to my dislike for this guy. He says he gets more love in america, well he can stay there for all i care.

I give him alot of credit for the Maidana fight. Thats his biggest win to date against a primed fighter.

I personally see him as a fraud.

Kotelnik is ordinary' date=' as is malignaggi and mcloskey.

Judah has been declining for years and i wouldnt say he is world class at this point in his career.

I find it disrespectful that he has called out PBF when he hasnt (imo) fought a real top class opponent.

ofcourse all of this may be down to my dislike for this guy. He says he gets more love in america, well he can stay there for all i care.[/quote']

Kotelnik is still ranked in and around the top 5 at 140 pounds though, and he does hold a win over Maidana, he also gave devon alexander a tough fight ( one in which many people thought he won)

The only guy who is ranked above Amir is Timothey Bradley, and if he doesnt want to fight him at the moment then who else is there for him at 140?

Khan is definitely an enigma though.

EDIT: I agree that pauli was on the decline when khan fought him, but that was just a fight for him to get him some publicity in America. Mcloskey is nothing special, but he is still in and around top 10, not a bum.

I can understand and appreciate why people don't like Khan, I myself have never been overly keen on him. However, there's no denying that he's a quality boxer in my mind. I would agree that Froch is currently the best boxer Britain have, but I fully expect Khan to surpass all of Froch's achievements. That's no slight on Froch, as he's one hell of a boxer in one hell of a division, but I believe Khan has all the tools to be a really big draw as the years progress. He gets knocked a fair bit for the Prescott defeat, but even the best boxers have had a shock defeat (read Lewis against Rehman). I have no doubt that Khan would beat Prescott comfortably if he were to go there, but I don't see why he should, other than to merely tidy up his resume (I personally, would rather see him avenge that loss though).

I agree on the point that he hasn't had too many true challenges just yet, people like Malignaggi were WELL past their best when Khan fought them. But his win over Maidana was simply superb, and I'm sure he can stand up to the very best when they come along.

I can understand and appreciate why people don't like Khan' date=' I myself have never been overly keen on him. However, there's no denying that he's a quality boxer in my mind. I would agree that Froch is currently the best boxer Britain have, but I fully expect Khan to surpass all of Froch's achievements. That's no slight on Froch, as he's one hell of a boxer in one hell of a division, but I believe Khan has all the tools to be a really big draw as the years progress. He gets knocked a fair bit for the Prescott defeat, but even the best boxers have had a shock defeat (read Lewis against Rehman). I have no doubt that Khan would beat Prescott comfortably if he were to go there, but I don't see why he should, other than to merely tidy up his resume (I personally, would rather see him avenge that loss though).

I agree on the point that he[b'] hasn't had too many true challenges just yet[/b], people like Malignaggi were WELL past their best when Khan fought them. But his win over Maidana was simply superb, and I'm sure he can stand up to the very best when they come along.

Thats because he has beaten good fighters convincingly, kotelnik, maidana and Judah are certainly 3 of the best fighters in the division. Timothy bradley and to a lesser extent Devon Alexander are the only top fighters Khan hasnt faced. In addition, he offered Bradley the fight and he rejected it. Khan is willing to fight anybody, and for that, he should be applauded.

Thats because he has beaten good fighters convincingly' date=' kotelnik, maidana and Judah are certainly 3 of the best fighters in the division. Timothy bradley and to a lesser extent Devon Alexander are the only top fighters Khan hasnt faced. In addition, he offered Bradley the fight and he rejected it. [b']Khan is willing to fight anybody, and for that, he should be applauded.[/b]

Aye. I really hope they sort out the Bradley fight, that would be great to watch!

Also, enjoyed the Chisora/Fury fight last night, although I did watch underneath a blurry gaze - one too many shandy's for me! Thought Fury was good value for the win, I expected more from Chisora to be honest. Given how heavy he came into the fight has to raise a question mark or two.

To be honest' date=' when the fight was made i fancied Chisora, however, after the weigh in, i thought there is no way he could win! [b']Was a low quality affair in my opinion[/b], but it was fun to watch and was very entertaining, which is all you can hope for from these type of bouts.

A good advert for the heavyweight division in general! :P

Can't see either of them amounting to much in their careers to be frank, although as the division is THAT bad, maybe they could work themselves up to a defeat from each of Wladimir and Vitali! Chisora's nearly got there already! :P:eek:

A good advert for the heavyweight division in general! :P

Can't see either of them amounting to much in their careers to be frank' date=' although as the division is THAT bad, maybe they could work themselves up to a defeat from each of Wladimir and Vitali! Chisora's nearly got there already! :P:eek:[/quote']

Haha so true! Hope fury distances himself from the idea of him Fighting Wladimir, i dont even want to think what would happen. Would like to see him box David Price ( someone i think would beat him).